Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

I want incredibly ahistorical Xiongnu remnants.

"I just executed every duke from here to the Danube and I've got ten more in the dungeons. The gently caress is this poo poo about 'lower crown authority'?."

I WILL LOWER YOUR HEAD INTO A BASKET, MINUS THE REST OF YOU, IF YOU DO NOT FALL BACK IN LINE

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

What was the Khanate's succession like?

Everybody has to drop what they're doing and go back home to elect a new khan. Imagine if every time your ruler died, you immediately white peace out of all wars and can't start new ones for a certain amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's something decidedly charming about how the early Khanate never really left its roots as a group of horse ranchers even when Temujin was swimming in gold and women.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
When they said they were planning on more story/role-playing focused DLC this wasn't really what I was picturing, but... hey... okay. Not super excited about Mongols, honestly, but it's cool I guess.

It's more CKII.

Have my :10bux:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It might give Western European nations a reason to head east for once if nothing else for you boring people.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

The silk road mechanic in particular is really interesting. It'd be cool to control it as a republic.

I'm curious too, yeah. Tangentially, had the amusing idea that modders are going to have to tweak that one Zoroastrian mod that includes a bunch of Silk Road stuff, since there's going to be actual Silk Road mechanics in the game. I suppose commenting/cutting it out is the easiest thing, though altering the usable bits to fit in might be neat. I kind of forgot what that stuff actually did, other than it involved financially supporting the Sogdians . Which amuses me now that you can play as them, sort of. Tangentially from that, that Sogdian leader should totally have some of the Silk Road stuff when the expansion comes, because, well, you know.

But yeah, this seems like a cool thing of DLC. I eventually want to see/be a part of some crazy multiplayer LP where everyone takes radically different things (steppe hoard, republic, some of the more interesting pagans, maybe some "normal" groups too I guess) and goes on some really long alt-historical thing. That would be neat I think.

Edit: Unrelated, but if someone of one religion owns a holy site of their religion, but they are the vassal of someone of a different religion, does it count as held by someone of that religion MA-wise or no? I'm curious, even though it's probably not a situation that will happen often.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Do we know when this expansion is coming out?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Unrelated, but if someone of one religion owns a holy site of their religion, but they are the vassal of someone of a different religion, does it count as held by someone of that religion MA-wise or no? I'm curious, even though it's probably not a situation that will happen often.

The direct holder of the temple is worth 5% MA and the top liege of that temple holder is worth 5% MA. If one has the religion of the holy site, it's a 5% boost, and both combine for a 10% boost.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
YES I am so excited about expanding into Central Asia.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Groogy posted:

I've gone into great details on my optimizations on the Paradox forums but in essence, all Greek rulers don't try to castrate everyone in the realm anymore every day(and similar situations) have been fixed. It stood for 70% of AI calculations together with fatwa

What's your mod called? I don't really have problem with the game but if its better I'll use it.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Goofballs posted:

What's your mod called? I don't really have problem with the game but if its better I'll use it.

I guess you could say his mod is the game itself. It's really cool, I recommend downloading it.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I guess I misread the post because I thought the daily castration thing was still in the game.

Nice game groogy.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Hey guys, does anybody have other solutions for the autosave crash? I've removed all mods, verified the cache, deleted the paradox folder, uninstalled the game, reinstalled the game and verified the cache again, and it's still doing it like clockwork every single year. It's unplayable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Hey guys, does anybody have other solutions for the autosave crash? I've removed all mods, verified the cache, deleted the paradox folder, uninstalled the game, reinstalled the game and verified the cache again, and it's still doing it like clockwork every single year. It's unplayable.

If you want to go balls out you can just turn off autosaves. :v:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sometimes a superduke can be such a loving rear end in a top hat that you get tempted to use your Chancellor to fabricate a claim on one of your own vassals (no tyranny if you have a strong claim on the title you're revoking).

That's pretty much the only thing I use claim fabs for.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dallan Invictus posted:

I still live in hope that Paradox somehow implements "fear" bonuses as a partial counter to "tyranny" or "dishonourable" penalties .

This is already in the game. Vassals and factions may hate you but won't revolt if you have way more troops because they know you'll gently caress them up and imprison and execute them or strip them of their titles.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Awesome expansion news. Please keep going east to China

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It would be really, really funny if it expanded through Central Asia and over into Mongolia, but there was just this blank black hole with just terrain right where China was supposed to be. How tantalizing!! Then you could expand and flesh out Southeast Asia, or north and give us Siberia!

So in the future, even this could be possible!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Not even the Koreans wanted Scotland.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DrSunshine posted:

So in the future, even this could be possible!

Wait what is that

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So with the new nomad mechanics, will there be some way to convert your nation to a nomadic one (eg. a decision taken by a tribal leader), or are you limited to ones that already start as nomadic? I think it would be cool to just pick any tribal anywhere and decide to become nomadic, with maybe some kind of initial penalty for the culture shock.

Also I like that they're working the Silk Road into this expansion - for so long India and Europe/Africa have kind of existed as their own disconnected game zones with very little interaction unless it was forced by the player. Hopefully this will help to kind of unify the game area as one big connected political nightmare rather than India basically being its own game off in the corner.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

verbal enema posted:

Wait what is that

The delusional fantasy of some dude who should just come back from crazy land and buy a Paradox game like the rest of us.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

verbal enema posted:

Wait what is that

Apparently nationalistic propaganda. I recommend reading that site.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

verbal enema posted:

Wait what is that

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's a map that frequently pops up in "Politically Loaded Maps" in D&D (which also frequently mentions Paradox games).

Another link explaining how batshit insane it is.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Hwandan_Gogi

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Adun posted:

I feel like this would be CK3 pretty much. I think it would be fun in CK2 but realistically there is no way it could get implemented convincingly.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

The silk road mechanic in particular is really interesting. It'd be cool to control it as a republic.

The Silk Road sounds really interesting.

The only fear I have is that the Abbasids control much of the route at the start of the game, will they become even more rich/powerful? :ohdear:

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
I hope the new DLC doesn't exaggerate the traffic that The Silk Road actually received. It wasn't a long train of caravans going to China and back, with silk, gold, opium etc. to buy and trade and guaranteed wealth for those along the way.

Caravans were usually pretty sparse, and rather small. And the parties that profited most were the Chinese. Indeed, wealth from trade along The Silk Road rarely reached Europe proper, but did reach Central Asia and Persia.

What I'm really interested in, however, is the importance of the Silk Road in it's role as a conduit for ideas between east and west. It'd be great to see (Theravada) Buddhism make it's way west under the right circumstances. And of course, polities along the Silk Road should receive a moderate boost in wealth and research as well.

If you're interested, I recommend reading Silk Road: A new history by Valerie Hansen.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Only buying the DLC if this starts abruptly playing whenever you are a nomadic ruler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHGaRQIGYG4

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"Your favorite horse thought of ants and died from fright. -50 Prestige."

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

What if some of us want the AI to decide whether or not it should castrate everyone every day

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Fat Lowtax posted:

What if some of us want the AI to decide whether or not it should castrate everyone every day

It still will, it's just a bit smarter now. I understand to the Byzantophiles how important this feature is so of course I wouldn't ruin it :haw:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fat Lowtax posted:

Based on how the goon Byzantium game went it's more lifelike if it is trying to constantly castrate everyone.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

TorakFade posted:

You are playing this game wrong :colbert:

I manage to succeed just fine while playing as a moral person instead of a sociopath. :colbert:

Ended up naming my eldest my heir after all, as he picked up some positive traits after being landed, while my younger son went in the other direction.

He's Emperor now and has put a kinswoman on the throne of Jerusalem, though the duchy itself has not yet fallen. He has also conquered Rome, and was maimed in doing so by the Pope's mercenaries.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 3, 2015

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Calling it now -- China expansion Q1 2016.

Yup, Mongol/Central Asian expansion is an obvious gateway drug for an East Asia expansion.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Groogy posted:

It still will, it's just a bit smarter now. I understand to the Byzantophiles how important this feature is so of course I wouldn't ruin it :haw:

Hey Groogs, while you're here, how much could you expand the map without the game slowing to unplayability? Obviously "unplayable" varies from person to person, but what if you were to go completely crazy and, say, push it out to three thousand provinces. Do you have any idea what the performance would look like then?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
What's the difference between chosing focuses with the same attribute? Like choosing Hunting vs. War. Obviously it gives you different events and attribute boosts, but why would you choose one over the other?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shnooks posted:

What's the difference between chosing focuses with the same attribute? Like choosing Hunting vs. War. Obviously it gives you different events and attribute boosts, but why would you choose one over the other?

Warrior: Bunch of +health events, prestige out the rear end, Dueling fools, chance to get Strong, Strategist trait
Hunting: +health off the bat, puppies, random hunts which will get you a Strong courtier more often then not, Hunter trait

Intrigue: Spy On (the secretly most powerful action in the game), Spy trait
Seduction: Bastards everywhere, Seducer trait

Rulership: Just trait, potentially Legendary Wisdom, Diligent if you're lucky, Gardener or Architect trait
Business: Holla holla get dolla

Scholarship: Build an observatory and grind out military tech points like no tomorrow, Scholar trait
Theology: Pilgrimage, the Necronomicon I think, Mystic trait

Carousing: Make buddies with vassals real easy, Socializer, Gamer, or Hedonist trait
Family: Make buddies with family real easy, fertility boost

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I'm excited about event optimizations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Adun posted:

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yup, Mongol/Central Asian expansion is an obvious gateway drug for an East Asia expansion.

And after that?

CK2: Kamakura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Autonomous Monster posted:

Hey Groogs, while you're here, how much could you expand the map without the game slowing to unplayability? Obviously "unplayable" varies from person to person, but what if you were to go completely crazy and, say, push it out to three thousand provinces. Do you have any idea what the performance would look like then?

Give me enough Mnt. Dew, Pizza and time I can make anything possible.

Longer answer, yes I would be able to push in China and maybe even larger parts of Africa or North America before the game comes to a crawl. I would set the limit on the snail pace of the mods people make for our game as the threshold where its no longer "playable". (Since apparently those are playable) I could make for instance daily ticks slower but make the game much much more responsive so you don't notice the actual lag more than that it is taking longer time to tick each year.

Autosaves however will be the biggest culprit in the future I think for speed. (Or well it is now but the disparity is bigger)

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 3, 2015

• Locked thread