Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Some Numbers posted:

I haven't watched the most recent couple of episodes, but OT might be using the singular "they" because they're unsure of the gender of the character or if the character (being a demon of sorts) even has a gender.

Ding ding ding :thumbsup:

I don't think I've seen people mention it, but someone started subbing Winspector. Two robots and a dude in power armor battle everyday crime in an 80s-as-gently caress setting. Give it a try, if that tickles you fancy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Blockhouse posted:

That's almost certainly what it is. Gendered pronouns basically don't exist in Japan.

Well, we assumed Redue's gender based on extra credit materials, and then Ryouma called her "him" and it got weird, so...

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Ignis posted:

Ding ding ding :thumbsup:

I don't think I've seen people mention it, but someone started subbing Winspector. Two robots and a dude in power armor battle everyday crime in an 80s-as-gently caress setting. Give it a try, if that tickles you fancy!

Hmmm This sounds like it could be everything that I've been wanting in my life!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Is Cyber Cop subbed? The theme song as catchy as gently caress, but I dont know if it's any good. It looks chintzy even by toku standards :v:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Blockhouse posted:

That's almost certainly what it is. Gendered pronouns basically don't exist in Japan.

Wait, really? I was pretty sure they do, at least culturally if not grammatically. At least "boku" I know you use to talk about yourself but only if you identify as male.

Ignis posted:

I remember Winspector form my childhood being super cool. It features a robot with a wheel on its chest using sword handles sticking out of its back to rev it up.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cyphoderus posted:

Wait, really? I was pretty sure they do, at least culturally if not grammatically. At least "boku" I know you use to talk about yourself but only if you identify as male.

That's not entirely accurate, either, though. A female-identifying person might still use "boku" if they intend to sound tough. The fact that the various escalations in "fierceness" for words meaning "me" or "myself" in Japanese is typically reserved for men is a cultural issue, and the fact that feminine versions of those words don't exist means that a woman who wants to be fierce or commanding has to either use those words, or undermine the whole point by using a more flowery approach to really spell it out.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

deadly_pudding posted:

That's not entirely accurate, either, though. A female-identifying person might still use "boku" if they intend to sound tough. The fact that the various escalations in "fierceness" for words meaning "me" or "myself" in Japanese is typically reserved for men is a cultural issue, and the fact that feminine versions of those words don't exist means that a woman who wants to be fierce or commanding has to either use those words, or undermine the whole point by using a more flowery approach to really spell it out.

That's interesting; I'd only ever saw it explained as specifically male, not fierce.

I'm still curious though: if I'm speaking Japanese, is there a way to refer to someone in the third person and imply they're female? Or male?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cyphoderus posted:

That's interesting; I'd only ever saw it explained as specifically male, not fierce.

I'm still curious though: if I'm speaking Japanese, is there a way to refer to someone in the third person and imply they're female? Or male?

Yes, there are words that essentially mean "him" and "her," but I don't believe they are used with the same frequency as their gender neutral equivalents.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Official Power Rangers Twitter, did you just post an Akibaranger gif?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the hell is the Gekiranger Christmas episode.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

What the hell was up with the ending of this week's Ninninger? Takaharu was...respectable...and even cool! Like an actually enjoyable protagonist!

The rest of the episode literally only happened because Takaharu is mentally retarded and the usually intelligent members of the team decided to blindly trust him instead of using common sense (while Fuuka solved it by being an idiot in a totally different way), but holy poo poo at the end Takaharu actually showed some coolness. Too bad we'll likely see that very rarely if ever again.

At least Star keeps being a good character and the Fuuka/Star combo was actually neat, as was the finisher for this week's monster.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Blaze Dragon posted:

What the hell was up with the ending of this week's Ninninger? Takaharu was...respectable...and even cool! Like an actually enjoyable protagonist!

The rest of the episode literally only happened because Takaharu is mentally retarded and the usually intelligent members of the team decided to blindly trust him instead of using common sense (while Fuuka solved it by being an idiot in a totally different way), but holy poo poo at the end Takaharu actually showed some coolness. Too bad we'll likely see that very rarely if ever again.

At least Star keeps being a good character and the Fuuka/Star combo was actually neat, as was the finisher for this week's monster.

I'm not sure what was up with Takaharu at the end but maybe it's showing they're gonna change his trajectory; before now he never trained at all because he was 'bad' at it. Giving him the depth of actually training really hard might be kind of cliche but it could really salvage a lot of the character.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Pollyanna posted:

Is that the one with Jesus Christ-sama?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Tran posted:

Is that the one with Jesus Christ-sama?
It's the one where the White Ranger dresses in a kid's dead mom's clothes to cheer him up.

It is easily the best episode of Gekiranger, which is basically if TV Tropes wrote a Sentai.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

CARL! I'M YO MOTHA!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Okay, I really don't think it's going to happen, but the Drive preview kind of almost hints at Kiriko becoming Drive???

I know it won't happen, but what if it did?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay, I really don't think it's going to happen, but the Drive preview kind of almost hints at Kiriko becoming Drive???

I know it won't happen, but what if it did?

Please don't get my hopes up

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Scratchman Apoo posted:

CARL! I'M YO MOTHA!

I HATE CHRISTMAS :rolldice:

That episode was loving amazing.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Please don't get my hopes up

You'd have to be crazy to believe even for a second they'd do it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TheLastRoboKy posted:

You'd have to be crazy to believe even for a second they'd do it.

it is crazy but can you imagine how much of a publicity stunt that'd be to not only kill off your main Rider but to have a woman take over the role for the remainder of the show(does make me wonder how the hell they're going to revive Shinnosuke though)

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
If I've learned anything it's that reviving a Kamen Rider isn't hard.

The last time this happened Gentaro was revived by the souls of his friends literally dragging him out of heaven with the power of Friendship.

They'll probably just hook Shinnosuke up to a Car Battery or something and Kickstart his Heart.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Stallion Cabana posted:

The last time this happened Gentaro was revived by the souls of his friends literally dragging him out of heaven with the power of Friendship.

They'll probably just hook Shinnosuke up to a Car Battery or something and Kickstart his Heart.
Oh, I know. I called the Gentaro thing as soon as I saw the preview last week (it's about the right time for the Final Upgrade anyways), but let me have my dream of a decent female Rider for just a little while. :negative:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 3, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Stallion Cabana posted:

I was a fan of the time they stuck a belt on Kagami's dead-rear end corpse halfway through Kabuto, and that was all it took. Nanomachines, son!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Oh, I know. I called the Gentaro thing as soon as I saw the preview last week (it's about the right time for the Final Upgrade anyways), but let me have my dream of a decent female Rider for just a little while. :negative:

The best female Kamen Rider we've had in a television show was Tackle, who was made in the 70s, and didn't even get the title.

Honestly looking at how lady heroes have gotten used *LESS* in newer Tokusatsu since the 80s, which was the peak I think, I'm starting to wonder if Japan has just gotten ever more sexist since then. Especially with how the women in Sentai tend to be treated.

I love Garo to death, but the idea that women cannot be Makai Knights is bullshit, and while Ultraman Nexus was going to have the lead woman character take up the mantle of Ultraman for the final story arc, that got cancelled abruptly because of bullshit scheduling.

The only lady Rider we've had recently that was a fully realized character was back in Gaim and her personality amounted to 'I want to make a man strong and powerful and serve him faithfully.' It wouldn't have been as bad if she wasn't the only lady Rider, in a series where there were literally mass produced belts that could have given anyone a shot at it.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, Japan does not care about including female heroes, unless they can use them to attract nerds.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Okay, I have to admit, it was kind of interesting that Gen not being able to get the name of the Roidmudes correct was a plot point.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mage from Wizard at least had her plot revolve around her sister and revenge against Medusa. She also was instrumental in helping the good guys win and got to keep her powers.

This is my new gimmick by the way, asserting that Wizard was a better show than Gaim.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think part of the whole female Rider thing is that Bandai makes a lot of its money from roleplay toys and they might think that their target audience of small boys doesn't wanna be a girl Rider.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I think part of the whole female Rider thing is that Bandai makes a lot of its money from roleplay toys and they might think that their target audience of small boys doesn't wanna be a girl Rider.
Because girls don't ever play pretend or watch TV or buy toys. It's not even like they think that little girls don't watch Superhero Time. Like half of the kids in the Kyoryuger "look at these kids dancing along with the end theme" were little girls.

Edit I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at how loving plausible that explanation is.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 3, 2015

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

You're not wrong Waffleman , but I find it hard to believe that sales on the main toy would sink if Kiriko used the belt once to save Shinosuke. Or a situation like Gaim or Wizard where almost everyone uses the same drivers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay, I have to admit, it was kind of interesting that Gen not being able to get the name of the Roidmudes correct was a plot point.

Yeah it was pretty neat, made me feel a little bad about laughing about it in the past though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

The best female Kamen Rider we've had in a television show was Tackle, who was made in the 70s, and didn't even get the title.

Honestly looking at how lady heroes have gotten used *LESS* in newer Tokusatsu since the 80s, which was the peak I think, I'm starting to wonder if Japan has just gotten ever more sexist since then. Especially with how the women in Sentai tend to be treated.

I love Garo to death, but the idea that women cannot be Makai Knights is bullshit, and while Ultraman Nexus was going to have the lead woman character take up the mantle of Ultraman for the final story arc, that got cancelled abruptly because of bullshit scheduling.

The only lady Rider we've had recently that was a fully realized character was back in Gaim and her personality amounted to 'I want to make a man strong and powerful and serve him faithfully.' It wouldn't have been as bad if she wasn't the only lady Rider, in a series where there were literally mass produced belts that could have given anyone a shot at it.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, Japan does not care about including female heroes, unless they can use them to attract nerds.

Tackle probably lasted the longest of the female Riders yes (and I do count her as a Rider for the same reason I count Black Knight, Rio/Mele, and to a much lesser extent, VRV Master as rangers: They have an identity outside the suit and meet the same qualifications as the main heroes except for the naming scheme). As far as I know the only female riders that actually survived their tenure were Kamen Rider Mage and Kamen Rider Kivala from the Decade x W movie.

Also, in regards to killing off main Riders, Ryuki actually killed off its title character a few episodes before the finale and he actually stayed dead until the very end. I doubt they'll do this in Drive but it has happened before.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 3, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think we all agree though that if they had Kiriko use a duplicate Drive belt to become Proto-Drive in a future movie that would be an extremely rad thing(just like it would have been rad to see Shotaro use the Skull Memory at some point, still kinda surprised they never did something like that)

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

drrockso20 posted:

it is crazy but can you imagine how much of a publicity stunt that'd be to not only kill off your main Rider but to have a woman take over the role for the remainder of the show(does make me wonder how the hell they're going to revive Shinnosuke though)

The major issue with that beyond the obvious is just that it's a completely wrong time in the story to do something like that. Too late in the series, during a moment that's pivotal to the protagonist and his past.

Truth be told I'm just happy Kiriko has been such an interesting, active and driven character through the series, and they still have that unresolved factor of her parentage being kept hidden from her to be revealed so she continues as well to be plot-relevant even as the power levels sky-rocket and limit her combat-interaction.

Burkion posted:

The west is little to no better, and it mostly stems from long established walls between toys/merch for boys and toys/merch for girls, and perhaps the idea (unfounded or not) that smooshing them together would result in less money overall. I do recall much ado being made about the complete lack of Black Widow merchandise for kids coming out with the more recent Avengers movie, after all.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Akibaranger is progressive as gently caress

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The west is little to no better, and it mostly stems from long established walls between toys/merch for boys and toys/merch for girls, and perhaps the idea (unfounded or not) that smooshing them together would result in less money overall.

Yeah I'm sure everyone is familiar with the Paul Dini interview where he says that Cartoon Network canceled Young Justice for the reason that "girls don't buy the same toys as the boys" and since there were "too many girls watching" that meant the show was a failure.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I'm sure everyone is familiar with the Paul Dini interview where he says that Cartoon Network canceled Young Justice for the reason that "girls don't buy the same toys as the boys" and since there were "too many girls watching" that meant the show was a failure.

I have a female friend who is still furious that her liking the show caused it to be canceled.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The dude who was in charge of Spike TV apparently got fired because they brought on CSI and as a result too many women were watching it while advertisers were pushing ads for men

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 4, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The west is little to no better, and it mostly stems from long established walls between toys/merch for boys and toys/merch for girls, and perhaps the idea (unfounded or not) that smooshing them together would result in less money overall. I do recall much ado being made about the complete lack of Black Widow merchandise for kids coming out with the more recent Avengers movie, after all.

That's not why Disney is being a dick about not including Black Widow in the toylines.

Disney is being a dick about that because they feel like they have the 'girl market' covered by the Disney Princess line.

So it's not a fear of making less money, just plain old keeping the boys and girls separate. Mind that doesn't explain the weird lack of female super heroes in the Marvel movies ANYWAYS but you know how that goes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

That's not why Disney is being a dick about not including Black Widow in the toylines.

Disney is being a dick about that because they feel like they have the 'girl market' covered by the Disney Princess line.

So it's not a fear of making less money, just plain old keeping the boys and girls separate. Mind that doesn't explain the weird lack of female super heroes in the Marvel movies ANYWAYS but you know how that goes.

There's other things that explain that (not justify mind you just explain (for example the relative dearth of lady superheroes in general let alone ones that marvel felt were recognizable enough to take a risk on before Avengers 2 (which is a thing they were worried about in general not just with ladies))) and they're doing a Captain Marvel movie in phase three so progress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah the biggest problem is that most of the recognizable superhero women in Marvel are members of the X-Men and they can't be part of the MCU because Fox still owns the license for that property.

I'm still hoping the villains become more interesting in Ninninger. ToQger's saving grace was that the villain faction was incredibly interesting and cool even though the heroes were mostly dull. Tsugimori almost seems like he's going to be interesting with how he called out Kyuuemon in his debut, but I'm not sure how much mileage we'll get out of that. The show's seemingly going the "resurrect one general at a time" route which is pretty disappointing since it limits how much interaction there is with the villains. And even that wouldn't be so bad if the villains were more interesting. The beginning of Go-Busters after all was basically just Enter by himself, with occasional scenes of him talking to Messiah, and it was perfectly fine because he was an interesting character.

• Locked thread