Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

nuru posted:

So, the best magic for a rune axe berserker :dance:?
Nope! No Oracle abilities bring across their Magic score. Oracle is utterly dead weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

heartcatcher posted:

poo poo, now it's all I can see too. you've ruined it.

You're welcome

Also : gently caress the IOS/Android overworld sprites. I wish they showed Butz' job sprite instead.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Nope! No Oracle abilities bring across their Magic score. Oracle is utterly dead weight.

Then give Oracle Equip Axes instead. The inaccuracy and huge damage swings even gel with their base abilities. That, plus telling an enemy's fortune by slamming an axe into their skull. :black101:

ampillion
Oct 29, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Then just to spite you, :siren: I HEREBY PLEDGE $1 PER GOON WHO POSTS A NEO DEATHSHOT WITH THE NAME "Fartz" :siren: ($50 max, once per goon, punctuation is fine [like Fartz! or Fartz?])

Totally doing this now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chaotic Neutral posted:

You master it for the magic score instead of Summoner if you're maximizing your freelancers/mimes and move on.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

iOS/Android Butz has a bigger rack than Lenna does

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Does the android version have frameskip / speed options? Any good quality of life changes over emulating besides save states?

Those sprites are really bad.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

nuru posted:

Does the android version have frameskip / speed options? Any good quality of life changes over emulating besides save states?

FF Dimensions-style Auto-Battle (i.e. chooses the same commands with the same relative targets every round at 2-3x speed) is the biggest one.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

nuru posted:

No frameskip/fast forward I've seen yet, though if you choose auto battle they go pretty fast. Has more classes and the interface is more user friendly than the gamepad on the SNES emulator I posted above, though. No save state, though it does have the 'quick save' functionality.

Some sprites are an improvement. I like android Galuf better, Lenna's pretty much the same in either but Butz is a huge decrease in quality compared to SNES. As mentioned before the jp character portraits are hilariously awful. Some of the job sprites are signficant improvements though at least in my opinion. Judge for yourself.

(Though Butz looks like he has an even BIGGER rack as a knight)

I am incredibly uncreative with names. But if I try to come up with something better I end up spending 2 hours thinking of names before I even get a chance to play.

khy fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 2, 2015

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

khy posted:

No frameskip/fast forward I've seen yet, though if you choose auto battle they go pretty fast. Has more classes and the interface is more user friendly than the gamepad on the SNES emulator I posted above, though. No save state, though it does have the 'quick save' functionality.

Some sprites are an improvement. I like android Galuf better, Lenna's pretty much the same in either but Butz is a huge decrease in quality compared to SNES. As mentioned before the jp character portraits are hilariously awful. Some of the job sprites are signficant improvements though at least in my opinion. Judge for yourself.

(Though Butz looks like he has an even BIGGER rack as a knight)

I am incredibly uncreative with names. But if I try to come up with something better I end up spending 2 hours thinking of names before I even get a chance to play.

It's worth noting that the extra classes are the exact same ones as in the GBA version; the two versions are identical aside from autobattle, graphics/interface, and bugfixes.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Fiesta season!

Berserker risk this year, along with chaos.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Lookin' good there guys, with your hands down by your shins like some sort of orangutan.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So RK confirmed a bit more of Chaos on the subreddit today, and yea, Chaotic Neutral/dis_astringent were right; you only use Freelancers as long as you have access to none of your assigned jobs.

Yes, this means if you get a Fire/Earth job at Wind and Berserker at water, it's Zerkers Until Karnak. :unsmigghh:

(apparently the random assignment of jobs will be engineered to minimize needed freelancer time, as well)

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

For the normal run with berserker risk am I correct that after the first crystal my entire party should be that class I randomed for it?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

nuru posted:

For the normal run with berserker risk am I correct that after the first crystal my entire party should be that class I randomed for it?

That's correct. :)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

So RK confirmed a bit more of Chaos on the subreddit today, and yea, Chaotic Neutral/dis_astringent were right; you only use Freelancers as long as you have access to none of your assigned jobs.

Yes, this means if you get a Fire/Earth job at Wind and Berserker at water, it's Zerkers Until Karnak. :unsmigghh:

(apparently the random assignment of jobs will be engineered to minimize needed freelancer time, as well)

do we know if dupes are allowed?

i wish he'd clarify this on the page, i just wnat to know what the rules are

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Lookin' good there guys, with your hands down by your shins like some sort of orangutan.

I can't unsee the fact that her feet are a good foot behind her back

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Minrad posted:

I can't unsee the fact that her feet are a good foot behind her back

yeah butz looks like he's about to do luigi's fall forward taunt from smash

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kyrosiris posted:

i'm just gonna cheat because freelancers are boring as butz

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kyrosiris posted:

On one hand LiquidFlame wasn't that bad in the SCC. On the other hand I was at level 18 when I Zerked it. And if you get unlucky and get an Earth job for both Wind and Fire, you're fighting Sandworm with Berserkers.

I'm somewhat concerned I made a terrible mistake signing up for both chaos and berserker risk.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
#Chaos registration completed. :getin:

Did berserker risk last year so I'll take a break from it for now.

e:

khy posted:

I'm in the ship graveyard. When I look at the skeletons I see Glenn Hughes from the Village People.

The skeleton in question :

What I cannot unsee :

(Bandana over eyes, forehead=nose, handlebar moustache)

You fucker I'm probably never going to unsee this, just like how I'll forever see Shadow's sprite as wearing big orange goggles.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I figured chaos would be an interesting enough run on its own without berserker risk (seems you're perfectly capable of getting berserkers from it anyway), and I wanted to see the 750 + berserker risk combo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can't stress how loving awful the FFD team's character sprite artist is, or how lazy their FFD-based iOS ports are.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Well, registered for a Normal/Risk run for my first, then decided that I didn't want to be such a pussy and changed to Chaos/Risk instead. I'm not so intimately familiar with the game as some of the people here, but that's just what makes the thread good; if I get into a bind, I'm sure some of the people here will have some good advice.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I've never Fiesta'd before. I've never even played FFV beyond the first overworld before. I'm not even that good at RPGs. This is probably a terrible idea.

...So how does a Classic play through sound? Since I'm rather fond of FFI. Or should I do a normal fiesta since it's my first time? I'm bad at making decisions about things.

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 3, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Augus posted:

I've never Fiesta'd before. I've never even played FFV beyond the first overworld before. I'm not even that good at RPGs. This is probably a terrible idea.

...So how does a Classic play through sound? Or should I do a normal fiesta since it's my first time? I'm bad at making decisions about things.

Classic is garbage, play normal

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Augus posted:

...So how does a Classic play through sound? Since I'm rather fond of FFI. Or should I do a normal fiesta since it's my first time? I'm bad at making decisions about things.

Play normal like a sane person.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Augus posted:

Hello me from last year.

If you don't know what to do, normal (#reg) is probably your best bet.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

alcharagia posted:

Classic is garbage, play normal

First response I got, so it must be a good one!

:getin:

(I decided to do natural for OCD reasons)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Augus posted:

noooo the reason classic is garbage is because it is natural.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Augus posted:

no

no

no

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Never Play Natural

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
just don't do it

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Poque posted:

noooo the reason classic is garbage is because it is natural.

Yeah you were better off with classic if you were gonna do natural.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Natural is a garbage mode. Don't do it.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Augus posted:

#rereg mate, that poo poo just aint fun

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
just edit out that #natural. do it now. please. i don't want to see you hurt my friend

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

EDIT: Okay, seeing the overwhelming opinion against natural run, I guess you guys know more about the game balance than I do. Didn't realize reregistering was a thing either

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 3, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Augus posted:

The Earth Crystal isn't that far in the game anyway. And having the characters do jobs other than the ones they're assigned doesn't seem right to me. :colbert:
Also Gilgabot already registered me anyway.

you can edit it out, and your seeming is factually wrong and makes the game far less fun to play. please don't be a dumpass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Augus posted:

The Earth Crystal isn't that far in the game anyway. And having the characters do jobs other than the ones they're assigned doesn't seem right to me. :colbert:
Also Gilgabot already registered me anyway.

Seriously don't do natural. You can change your mistake now. Please do.

• Locked thread