Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

can you splat a kraken or are they invulnerable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Anime Curator posted:

You can't kill em, just run. Also they're quick but have ice physics so exploit that.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Anime Curator posted:

Pretty much invulnerable, except if they fall to their doom. It's better to keep your distance and bounce back at them when they turn to normal.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Chargers are pretty awful for Turf Wars because you need to be constantly on the move, but they can be brutal in Splat Zones.

I just think they don't belong in the game. They can be super fun to use when you get into a groove but at the end of the day you're choosing a weapon that requires careful aim in a game full of other weapons that don't.

Basically the skill ceiling for them is really, really high compared to the other two weapon types, and I have mad respect for anybody that sticks with it, because I don't think I can hack it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rexroom posted:

Pretty much invulnerable, except if they fall to their doom. It's better to keep your distance and bounce back at them when they turn to normal.

This is hilarious, being a tiny little squid and fleeing the big sea monster. I don't know which kraken evasion I've pulled that I like better, the one where I avoided them for the full duration of the power then splatted them when it ended, or the time I dodged around on Saltspray Rig and they went careening off the edge trying to get me. Both were extremely satisfying, though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Regy Rusty posted:

There's one more limited ink mission, but the invisible platforms one is definitely the hardest.

Thank God, so when I finally clear that, it'll be relatively smooth sailing from then on.

Damone
May 3, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

This is hilarious, being a tiny little squid and fleeing the big sea monster. I don't know which kraken evasion I've pulled that I like better, the one where I avoided them for the full duration of the power then splatted them when it ended, or the time I dodged around on Saltspray Rig and they went careening off the edge trying to get me. Both were extremely satisfying, though.

I have a special place in my heart for the time where I toro'd Infinitum off the edge at the warehouse. :v:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Chargers are pretty awful for Turf Wars because you need to be constantly on the move, but they can be brutal in Splat Zones.

I've got to disagree with the notion that Chargers are awful in Turf Wars, simply for the fact that there are always zones being contested, and you can really lock some of them down by perching on a high vantage point and either undoing your opponent's work from great distances, or simply sniping them as they come barreling out of a bottleneck. And if you can't find the action, you can make speedways into enemy territory and just dump paint.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also the biggest mistake chargers make in turf war is to ignore claiming turf. Always be shooting and when there little turf to claim find a new spot. Go for kills when they're available but otherwise get turf

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also the biggest mistake chargers make in turf war is to ignore claiming turf. Always be shooting and when there little turf to claim find a new spot. Go for kills when they're available but otherwise get turf

Yup. It loving aches to watch teammates sit with a loaded shot, peering around the map for an inkling target when they are surrounded by paint they could be covering.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Anime Curator posted:

Just like the bubbler, you can push them back when you shot them but not splat them. I was stuck once because a killer wail pushed me in to a corner. I also once saved myself because a kraken kept running in to the splat roller instead of jumping over

Edit: On yeah there was a charger that tried to keep me from hitting their other team members in ranked, to bad he was in a spot where I could climb up and splat them.

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 3, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what is the key to getting over 900-1000 points every match? It seems like just kind of going around making sure the team wins by just getting ink everywhere doesn't really seem to help when i'll end up with 700-900 points then the guy at the top will have 1000+ with just as many kills as i have.

What is the one wierd trick
aerospray

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Damone posted:

I have a special place in my heart for the time where I toro'd Infinitum off the edge at the warehouse. :v:

Yeah well, there is exactly one spot on warehouse where you can jump into the water and I found it.

:smug:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lol pretty much everyone is using the Kracken. There's no real trade off and you can pretty much ink forever. Worse balance ever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Yeah well, there is exactly one spot on warehouse where you can jump into the water and I found it.

:smug:

Where is it, out of curiosity?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Anidav posted:

Lol pretty much everyone is using the Kracken. There's no real trade off and you can pretty much ink forever. Worse balance ever.
except the kraken only comes with two weapons and neither of them are that good

also they're not

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I find myself falling into the water all the time in the mall and occasionally on the rig

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what is the key to getting over 900-1000 points every match? It seems like just kind of going around making sure the team wins by just getting ink everywhere doesn't really seem to help when i'll end up with 700-900 points then the guy at the top will have 1000+ with just as many kills as i have.

What is the one wierd trick

ABS - Always Be Spraying

After hitting 13 and messing around with the RG most of the evening I think I like the MG better - Seekers seem way better than mines, and Inkzooka vs. Instrike is a wash
I also enjoy the .52 gal deco quite a bit compared to the regular .52 gal - also because of the seekers and the gun is an amazing counter to the Jr and Aerospray

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Any edge of the stage. You can squid through the rails. Or Kraken through them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Middle. To the sides. At the end of the ramp to the right.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

How to counter the kraken: Run away. It is a pretty short duration, shorter than the bubbler for sure. Just run if you can.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

EightFlyingCars posted:

That's because campy sniper weapons are harshly penalized by the game's mechanics. It's really trivial for people to just swoop up to you, and if somebody with an aerospray gets in your face (and basically everybody has an aerospray) you’re stuck in a whole bunch of ink, so you can't escape.

I say this as somebody who's been trying to make them work for hours but the long range shooter weapons are better in every way. I probably just suck though.

I mostly play Chargers and I like the bog-standard low level Splat Charger. I wear a Ninja Squid hoodie and constantly stick and move, emerging from the ink to take snap shots before going back under. Staying still, especially in one of the easy to shoot at designated sniper zones is a bad idea (especially since even if it doesn't invite counter-sniper fire, people can easily climb up and get in your face). People are very good at dodging when they see the laser sights so try to hit them from behindish or when they're fighting a teammate.

They're probably not as good at inking as some of the high-end SMGs, but they're not bad at it and you shouldn't ever neglect it, especially since you pretty much need it to fight. You can ink a hell of a lot by firing a charged shot up at a bit of an angle then sidestepping a bit and repeating, but it requires a bit of good placement.

I haven't tried the scoped version but I'm pretty sure that it will just gently caress up my aim since I pretty much never keep my gun charged and only charge when I have a shot already lined up.

I just unlocked the E-liter 3k and I've been trying that. It has an absolutely silly range but takes enough time to charge up that I can't use it like the Splat Charger. Charging it about halfway gives you about the same range and rate of fire as the Splat Charger which is good when you're inking, but you need to charge it up most of the way to get to the one-hit splat damage threshold. If you prefer to take a more sedentary approach to sniping it's probably the weapon to use, but I've been doing far, far better with the Splat Charger.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 3, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
You could also counter counter people who try to run from kraken by making it seem like you'll be aggressive with the super and just swim past them, getting the option to ink their base if you think your team can hold mid or doubling back to drop a roller over enemies at mid thinking their backs are clear.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't know if it lasts long enough for that to be viable, bar weird level geometry.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I've actually pierced through an enemy line by getting to the middle of the stage as fast as possible, shooting some with the splatter jr, squidding quickly through the ink, jumping out and shooting, and repeating that pattern in the hopes that nobody chases me or the enemy gets too bloodthirsty about pushing forward, letting me ink most of their base without needing super and often getting a win out of it thanks to it. Using the Kraken in this way is basically insurance that you will get through, though honestly popping it first thing in the round is usually a death flag since an early lead is exactly what inspires the sort of overconfidence that lets the enemy pull the rug out from under you, plus the opening minutes are not nearly as important as the final few seconds.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

skeletronics posted:

On Saltspray Rig, the only way to the top is through the middle, so if you control the middle, you control the top.

If you control the top and the middle, you can safely ignore the bottom and still win. Maybe if they have the bottom and all of the corridors they could win, but it's really tough.

Therefore, control the freaking middle. In nearly every game where my team focuses on that, we win. Exceptions being when the other team makes a last second push and successfully takes a significant portion of the top. Then ignoring the bottom hurts since they only need a little push into your territory to tip it.

Also I'm bad, don't listen to me.

The run where i got a 13-1 splatstreak was saltspray, where i took control of the top part, and pressed "c'mon!" and all the other players super jumped to me. Despite taking out the guys on the sides with inkzookas constantly, another one would just pop up and cover the spot from the sides or the front, or launch an instrike and cover it.

Having the high ground is a huge help in this game,especially parts like the pillar in the middle of the skatepark.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

How to counter the kraken: Run away. It is a pretty short duration, shorter than the bubbler for sure. Just run if you can.

How to use the kraken: Attack from the sides or behind. Blind spots are hilarious.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Infinitum posted:

How to get kills with any weapon: Attack from the sides or behind. Blind spots are hilarious.

ftfy

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Kracken is bullshit because you will always get close 100% and if you can't you can just ink the base instead.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Say what you will of the campaign but it is teaching you the tricks needed in multiplayer. It tooks a few tries to get the method right but stealth via squid is pretty drat effective.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
In case nobody's tried it yet, test out a weapon with Splat Bombs and try to sink a shot in the hoop in the testing area.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I've used the kraken a few times on the mall level to push through the middle into the enemy half, then go up one of the side paths and surprise their snipers from behind. Seemed more effective than just attacking them head on and having them retreat and then splat me when the kraken runs out.

I think a lot of people just think "phew he missed me" when a kraken swims past them and away, and not "an enemy just got past me, what's he going to do now?"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You can hold down splatzones too just pop it when everyone is close to the zone

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
For those who care about such things, Media Create's numbers are out for last week and Splatoon sold 144,818 units in Japan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drastic Actions posted:

For those who care about such things, Media Create's numbers are out for last week and Splatoon sold 144,818 units in Japan.

Wow, goddamn :eyepop:.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

Literally 100,000 more than the next game on the list.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Silentman0 posted:

Literally 100,000 more than the next game on the list.

That's Hatsune Miku Project Mirai, then it's Witcher 3.

EDIT: And PSYCHO-PASS, an Xbox One exclusive, came out this week and only sold 4,500 copies. Not surprising, considering it's an Xbox One game in Japan (A System very few have bought), but still :laugh:.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 3, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I read it was also 2nd in the UK charts behind Witcher 3 but I dunno if there's really much else out right now

I was really expecting the game to sell like 3 copies worldwide though so this is nice

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

That's Hatsune Miku Project Mirai, then it's Witcher 3.

Chrome's automatic translate called it U~itcha 3 so that's what I'm going to call it from now on.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Drastic Actions posted:

So that's why I keep seeing so many Japanese names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Sam Faust posted:

So that's why I keep seeing so many Japanese names.

And that's only the people (like myself :smug:) who elected to use Kana in their names at all, it could be even more than you think! :tinfoil:

This is also why I don't think voice chat in public games would make much sense. Kinda hard to get a chat going when half the group can't understand the other half.

• Locked thread