Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smilefires
Dec 18, 2013

Fungah! posted:

do we know if dupes are allowed?

i wish he'd clarify this on the page, i just wnat to know what the rules are

"Yes" is what we're guessing because of the question mark in the zerker risk description on the help page. It's the same as the Chaos mode symbol.

quote:

This is the only way in the Fiesta to end up with a duplicate job.

edit: It's cool that Chaos will be front-loaded though to prevent too much freelancing. Chaos for best mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Augus posted:

EDIT: Okay, seeing the overwhelming opinion against natural run, I guess you guys know more about the game balance than I do. Didn't realize reregistering was a thing either

To be less hyperbolic about it, the game was designed from the ground up to have you mixing and matching job abilities to create fun combos. And while it's perfectly possible to beat the game without doing so, the mix and matching is where a lot of the fun and planning comes in.

And what's with all this Freelancer hate? Between that katana in Castle Tycoon, the Ribbon from Karnak, and the Heal Staff, Freelancers have more fun options in world 1 than most other jobs. :colbert:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I did a Natural No-750 run back in 2013, and it took me roughly 24 hours to get to Neo. And that's with skipping every dungeon in World 3. It's just a tedious, unfun slog.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Classic is way more fun than a regular natural because your "bad" jobs are monk, red mage, and thief, !steal/!mug are fantastic, and monks are good damage dealers at least in world 1. If you roll a red mage without a white mage you have a semi-reliable healer and someone good at damage for part of the game.

You also have multiple chances of rolling some of the best classes in the game and knights, and almost all the classic jobs are jobs from FF1, so they're fairly self-sufficient besides red mage.

Regular natural sucks because natural geomancers exist. Hope you like fighting Sol Cannon with a useless class.

Basically limiting your classes makes it more fun somehow.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Why You Shouldn't Do A Natural Run:

In a broad sense, FFV is designed that a class is both a stable to put an ability on and a provider of abilities. In a Natural game, then, a class can only provide abilities to itself. Let's list the classes that provide abilities that would then be equipped by said class.

Wind Crystal: White Mage (MP+10%), Black Mage (MP+30%), Blue Mage (!Check, !Scan), Monk (!Focus, !Chakra, HP+10%/20%/30%), Thief (!Flee, !Mug), Knight (Double Grip)
Water Crystal: Summoner (!Conjure), Red Mage (!Dualcast)
Fire Crystal: Ninja (!Smoke, !Image), Beastmaster (!Control, !Calm), Ranger (!Animals, !Rapid Fire), Bard (!Hide)
Earth Crystal: Dancer (!Flirt), Dragoon (!Lancet), Samurai (!Mineuchi, !Iainuki), Chemist (!Mix, !Recover, !Revive)

Any abilities not mentioned do not provide anything equipped onto the providing job, or I just forgot it. Any class not mentioned (Time Mage, Mystic Knight, Berserker, Geomancer) simply does not learn anything through job leveling that can't be done at base.

Now, of those, which of those provides any sort of actually interesting decisions?

If you said Chemist, have a cookie.

And that's basically it. Every other job simply does not have an interesting decision on what to use for its secondary slot. You will always know what will be best in a given situation. Granted, with Chemist, !Mix is usually superior, but if you're grinding/lookup table averse or are just sick of !Mixing everything, then there's a legitimate case to be made for the other two abilities.

So, your decision space and your power is drastically cut. Now, to be fair, there are some jobs that are simply That Good on their own that you'd never really mix and match stuff anyway. The primary Mage classes would never actually use a secondary to be more powerful, just to get a little bit of versatility. And, well, they've already got eighteen options at endgame anyway, so they're fine. It's the physical classes that hurt for trying out different weapons or commands. Finally, the hybrid jobs (in short, light armor wearing classes that aren't mages) lose big time, as their primary reason for existing is to be a Bad Job To Be In but give Awesome Abilities. A Natural Game hits them really hard. It's no coincidence that the hybrid jobs are usually the hardest ones to Fiesta with, and a Natural run makes this problem ten times worse.

So yeah, don't do a Natural run unless you're actively interested in being severely limited in fun and power for the sake of difficulty, not because it's an interesting twist on its own.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

And it's not even "difficulty" really, it's tedium.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

And it's not even "difficulty" really, it's tedium.

It's difficulty in the FFV sense, which is to say you have to best utilize your tools, and having fewer tools means you might have to add a few hundred HP in order to not die.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
To be completely fair, some of those Natural boosts aren't too bad. Knights get decent mileage out of Double Grip, Thieves can use !Mug for Chicken Knifing, and the Fire jobs that aren't Bard get some decent abilities.

But there's also really no saving some jobs. I speak from experience when I say that !Dualcast doesn't make Natural Red Mage any good. When you're stuck with -ra level spells, a second casting is like trying to put out a fire by spitting on it twice. Though I'll also admit that the status spells at least came in handy (most of the normal monsters in the Void were vulnerable to at least one of the statuses Red could inflict, and Dualcasts gave the option to either double your success rate or incapacitate two enemy types at once). Still, never again.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I know I'm kinda late to this one, but:

Does anybody else notice that they aren't even remotely trying to hide that Faris is a woman?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Does anybody else notice that they aren't even remotely trying to hide that Faris is a woman?

I think there was some discussion about it last year. But yeah, it really sticks out.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bufuman posted:

But there's also really no saving some jobs. I speak from experience when I say that !Dualcast doesn't make Natural Red Mage any good. When you're stuck with -ra level spells, a second casting is like trying to put out a fire by spitting on it twice.

Aren't -aga level spells literally 4x as good as -ara spells? I wish Red Mages had staying power in any game ever, they're so cool :(

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kinda clashes with her beautiful androgynous Amano artwork.

Man, can you imagine a next-gen game with Amano design?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Alabaster White posted:

Aren't -aga level spells literally 4x as good as -ara spells? I wish Red Mages had staying power in any game ever, they're so cool :(

Red Mages are amazing all the way through FFXII IZJS... but then they don't get the awesome hat, so it's a wash.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Alabaster White posted:

About 3.5x but yeah. Even Bio is more than double (and ignores magic defense, and applies a DoT that works on literally everything).

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Augus posted:

EDIT: Okay, seeing the overwhelming opinion against natural run, I guess you guys know more about the game balance than I do. Didn't realize reregistering was a thing either

So, I'll give my version which should be a little shorter. If you're looking to simply make the game more difficult then roll natural. Just realize that it's not the same as starting new run of an action game on hard. It's a JRPG and the answer to any problem can pretty much always be "go grind more levels." And when you remove options via natural, that ends up being the only answer more often. I think pretty much everyone here is about the challenge of speed running with only 4 randomly chosen jobs. Good teams just mean you get to show off.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Evil Fluffy posted:

You fucker I'm probably never going to unsee this, just like how I'll forever see Shadow's sprite as wearing big orange goggles.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still does this.

I also to this day can't help but see Agahnim's tiara in LttP as his face with an open mouth.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Alabaster White posted:

IIRC they were valuable for the longest time in FFXI, primarily because of Refresh, one of the best buffs in the game (restores a bit of MP every few seconds, making it a godsend for casters like White and Black Mage). Since the level required for Refresh was 41, you couldn't use RDM as a sub and keep refresh, because subjobs only get half the level of your current prime job, and the max level was 75 for years and years. Eventually, however, they gave in and upped the level cap to the usual 99, so I'm guessing RDMs are subjob fodder (I wouldn't exactly know, I haven't actually played the game in years, and didn't even get very far; most of my info about high-level play comes from the now-defunct [GM]Dave's blog).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

khy posted:

What I cannot unsee :

(Bandana over eyes, forehead=nose, handlebar moustache)
Hulkamania will never die, brother.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

When I see the "old wise man" sprite in FFIV and FFV, all I can picture is George Carlin in a robe.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Out of curiosity, why does the Fiesta have options for "420 rods errday" and "gently caress rods" setups? Just for fun?

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 3, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Out of curiosity, why does the Fiesta have options for "420 rods errday" and "gently caress rods" setups? Just for fun?

In my case it's a higher chance of jerk zerks.

It's basically a do you want a magic or melee only team challenge.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!

Tyty posted:

Classic is way more fun than a regular natural because your "bad" jobs are monk, red mage, and thief, !steal/!mug are fantastic, and monks are good damage dealers at least in world 1. If you roll a red mage without a white mage you have a semi-reliable healer and someone good at damage for part of the game.

You also have multiple chances of rolling some of the best classes in the game and knights, and almost all the classic jobs are jobs from FF1, so they're fairly self-sufficient besides red mage.

Regular natural sucks because natural geomancers exist. Hope you like fighting Sol Cannon with a useless class.

Basically limiting your classes makes it more fun somehow.

I lucked out last year with my regular natural and got White Mage, Mystic Knight, Ninja, and Dancer. I feel like I couldn't ask for a more balanced team.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Can't stop reading up on stuff to use for the berserker. With the balance patch Berserkers are much more flexible. Now I'm just looking at my secondary ability options are for a berserker in a no750 run.

From the wind crystal I don't see any issues with whatever I get.
- The Knight's probably the best of this trio giving two-handed, cover and equip swords.
- The Thief's passing on !Mug and Artful Dodger fixing the zerks awful speed.
- The Monk's going to pass on all those health buffs, !Focus, counter and barehanded.

Fire crystal jobs seem fine too.
- Ninja's Dual Wield mean double Death Sickles :black101:
- Beastmaster can pass on Equip Whips so I can dump him in the back row with the dragon's whisker.
- Rangers give him !Aim and !RapidFire meaning I can Hand him the Chicken Knife and let him go nuts.

Earth Jobs I can work with either.
- Samurai gives !Mineuchi, Shirahadori and Equip Katanas.
- They can use everything from Dragoons and !Jump means I can hand him a Chicken Knife and I sure !Lance will be handy at some point :shrug:.

I know it'll probably cause severe headaches but i'll take a shot at Shinryu and Omega.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Maybe this year I will finish my run and not be a shitlord. :unsmith:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bufuman posted:

IIRC they were valuable for the longest time in FFXI, primarily because of Refresh, one of the best buffs in the game (restores a bit of MP every few seconds, making it a godsend for casters like White and Black Mage). Since the level required for Refresh was 41, you couldn't use RDM as a sub and keep refresh, because subjobs only get half the level of your current prime job, and the max level was 75 for years and years. Eventually, however, they gave in and upped the level cap to the usual 99, so I'm guessing RDMs are subjob fodder (I wouldn't exactly know, I haven't actually played the game in years, and didn't even get very far; most of my info about high-level play comes from the now-defunct [GM]Dave's blog).
While I also haven't played since ToAU, I do know they solved this specific problem in the most obvious way possible!

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

While I also haven't played since ToAU, I do know they solved this specific problem in the most obvious way possible!

It also didn't help Red Mages that the Refresh mechanic started getting spread around a number of other jobs even before the level cap increase. By the time that happened, you had Red Mages (Refresh), Bards (Ballads), Corsairs (Evoker's Roll), and even Summoners (Diabolos' Favor) capable of refreshing MP. Which made the true value of a Red Mage access to Haste, something only Bards could do with similar efficiency. (CORs wouldn't get Blitzer's Roll until much later, and while Summoners had access to Hastega it'd require switching to Garuda and reset the potency of D's Favor. Barring a White Mage covering Haste duties, because we all know they never did.)

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

NBHS posted:

It also didn't help Red Mages that the Refresh mechanic started getting spread around a number of other jobs even before the level cap increase. By the time that happened, you had Red Mages (Refresh), Bards (Ballads), Corsairs (Evoker's Roll), and even Summoners (Diabolos' Favor) capable of refreshing MP. Which made the true value of a Red Mage access to Haste, something only Bards could do with similar efficiency. (CORs wouldn't get Blitzer's Roll until much later, and while Summoners had access to Hastega it'd require switching to Garuda and reset the potency of D's Favor. Barring a White Mage covering Haste duties, because we all know they never did.)

For a long time Garuda was one of the only two go to summons anyways because predator's claws was the best physical blood pact available to summoners at level 75. Also hastega gave you more utility to groups that werent just mages so more often than not groups wanted you using garuda in the first case.

From my understanding now red mages are generally considered low tier. Refresh is pretty widely available and refresh 2 is nowhere near as required as refresh was. I think geomancers have pretty much replaced redmage as the utility class.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
Blast from the waaaaaay past of page 6 but I'm late to the thread and while I tried to catch up on it all I got bogged down in some of the "so is X class awesome or trash":

Dragonatrix posted:

(i forget who originally made this like last year)

Oh hey that was actually by a friend of mine last year! (Looking back, looks like he had... Knight/Berserker/Geomancer/Samurai, on a normal run.)

Registered for Chaos myself this year, no Risk though. Did normal last year and finished (the first time I finished FF5 at all! I always got bogged down in the past trying to obsessively master everything.) Random last year, rolled a strong party but burned out on just life in general that summer so I trailed off during world 3. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Inform your friend that they're :krad: and that their art has basically become emblematic of !Gaia and Geomancers in general. :)

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Then just to spite you, :siren: I HEREBY PLEDGE $1 PER GOON WHO POSTS A NEO DEATHSHOT WITH THE NAME "Fartz" :siren: ($50 max, once per goon, punctuation is fine [like Fartz! or Fartz?])

It took way too much effort*, but I'm finally ready for when the Fiesta begins:

*Everyone's names in the script are stored in the script itself, not as a pointer to a single instance of the name, so I had to find/replace Lenna/Galuf/Faris with Fartz, and then I find/replaced Cara with Frtz (because literally everything would break if I tried to expand her name). Of course, that's only the script. It turns out your party's names for the menu and I presume battles are stored in the SRM, so that had to be edited. Except the SRM has a checksum protection, and rather than try to edit that after editing the names, I found out how to tell Final Fantasy V how to skip that check. All this, and I have no idea if I went and made the Sandworm cast Flare on everything or some crap like that yet because I blindly find/replaced bytes in the ROM. Exciting times!

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

You are a hero.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Trasson posted:

It took way too much effort*, but I'm finally ready for when the Fiesta begins:

*Everyone's names in the script are stored in the script itself, not as a pointer to a single instance of the name, so I had to find/replace Lenna/Galuf/Faris with Fartz, and then I find/replaced Cara with Frtz (because literally everything would break if I tried to expand her name). Of course, that's only the script. It turns out your party's names for the menu and I presume battles are stored in the SRM, so that had to be edited. Except the SRM has a checksum protection, and rather than try to edit that after editing the names, I found out how to tell Final Fantasy V how to skip that check. All this, and I have no idea if I went and made the Sandworm cast Flare on everything or some crap like that yet because I blindly find/replaced bytes in the ROM. Exciting times!

You didn't put a different punctuation mark after each Fartz. 0/10

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Augus posted:

You didn't put a different punctuation mark after each Fartz. 0/10

I couldn't, actually. For the same reason Cara can't even get to "Fartz": I'd cause instances of their names to run over into other text, at best, over control codes in a worse case, or expand out sections of memory so pointers stopped meaning everything and everything crashes.

I actually had it all planned out. Bartz would be "Fartz", Lenna would be "Fartz.", Galuf would be "Fartz:", Faris would be "Fartz;", and Cara would be "Fartz"". Then I realized the problem and abandoned that plan.

Which is a shame, because the prefix symbols are also text items, so I could have had "[White]Fartz", "[Black]Fartz", "[Time]Fartz", "[Sword]Fartz", and "[Song]Fartz". Unless I got Berserkers, then they'd become "[Axe]Fartz".

Oh well.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For that much work, I feel like a win should be worth four dollars instead of one.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I know that Natural runs are unfun and bad and should be avoided but I can't help but think that Classic might be fun...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

I know that Natural runs are unfun and bad and should be avoided but I can't help but think that Classic might be fun...

You think that, and then you end up with Monk/Monk/Thief/Red Mage.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

You think that, and then you end up with Monk/Monk/Thief/Red Mage.

I actually got Monk/Monk/Monk/Red Mage for my only Classic run.

Which is WHY it was my only Classic run. It was also the only one I actually needed to grind in to beat (darn level-dependent Monk punches).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

yesssssssssss

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Despite the fact that the whole 'Fartz' thing is poking fun at my dislike for silly names for my characters I still enjoy it when the rest of you do it.

Also, I enjoy the humor in the Android version of V.

Whip - description "Best used when problems come along"

So trying to come up with an interesting party comp. Tell me how awful this will be :

Mystic Knight w/ 2handed - Butz
Ninja w/ I dunno yet - Faris
Time Mage w/ White Magic - Lenna
Summoner w/ Black Magic - Galuf/other chick

Kinda standard, I was thinking possibly making Lenna a dancer or Bard w/ white magic but I don't know much about those classes. I'm basing my judgement on the classes' usefulness by their FF2/4j counterparts.

I dunno. What's fun? Also what's an amusing pairing with Ninja?

khy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

khy posted:

Despite the fact that the whole 'Fartz' thing is poking fun at my dislike for silly names for my characters I still enjoy it when the rest of you do it.

I can't believe you don't like Fartz. Everybody loves Fartz.

• Locked thread