Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm not angry, I'm just wondering why Demorge is a part of the show. He's worse than Goldberg at this point. Nothing but white noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Irish Joe posted:

I'm not angry, I'm just wondering why Demorge is a part of the show. He's worse than Goldberg at this point. Nothing but white noise.

No no, he's the black guy

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

caligulamprey posted:

I have decided that I will let Dan know that Irish Joe is very, very angry when he's in Portland next weekend.

Don't Do This

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Guys if you keep quoting joke it defeats the point of me blocking him

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Golden Bee posted:

That's why we quote him

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

its why i quote you ;)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Golden Bee posted:

Things Dan Harmon said a month ago.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I'm going to try this one more time because I'm listening to this Spencer compilation.

Does anyone know the name/source of the music Jeff used as Spencer's D&D theme?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Man those brothers seemed like real assholes, at least one of them

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
They're not so bad.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I can't believe no one mentioned how awesome Andy Kindler was last week. One of the best Harmontown guests ever.

And it was hilarious that no one but Spencer remembered that Kumail has never actually played Dr Friend.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Man those brothers seemed like real assholes, at least one of them
I was sitting right behind them. One of them was wearing one of those types of suits where it has an intentional "Oh, this has been crumpled up in the corner of the room for the last week" look. They seemed weird, but I was coming off an acid trip, so everything seemed weird at the time.

Malcolm, however. That kid's going places. Probably to bed.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
What a miserable episode. Very low energy. Maybe if I'd listened instead of watching it I wouldn't have been distracted by how out of it and disinterested Harmon seemed.

Also gently caress that Malcolm kid. Don't agree to go on stage unless you're going to bring something to it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

I audibly groaned when they brought him back for Shadowrun. gently caress that guy. He was just being smug faux-mysterious and ended up sounding like an idiot.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Brocktoon posted:

I can't believe no one mentioned how awesome Andy Kindler was last week. One of the best Harmontown guests ever.

I quit listening to this show about a month ago but Andy Kindler as a guest almost convinced me to come back, maybe I will listen to that episode.

I think I started disliking the podcast around the time I went to a live one in Toronto

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
For what its worth, Kindler's set is like 90% Dan's boring politics, 10% jokes. Its still more jokes than Demorge has told over the last six months, but its still a lot of bullshit to sit through to get to the funnies.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I stopped listening as well. When I saw new posts in the thread I was hopeful.
Nope.

PollosBromanos
May 18, 2012
Wow this episode was a total clunker. Portland usually brings out the better side of the podcast, but this is one of the worst they've done in a while.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

The Berzerker posted:

I quit listening to this show about a month ago but Andy Kindler as a guest almost convinced me to come back, maybe I will listen to that episode.

I think I started disliking the podcast around the time I went to a live one in Toronto

Yeah going to a live show is what killed my interest in the show.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Given what I've heard, I don't think you could ever get me to go to a show that wasn't at Meltdown.

Or that Jeff Davis wasn't comptrolling.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I went to the Chicago show last year, and, having listened to it since then, it's not a very good show. But at the time, it was, for the most part, great. It helped that you could actually hear the organ.

I'd go if you got the chance, at least once.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Sorry to see you go Golden Bee, you shall be missed I've always enjoyed your bits on Harmontown. Sucks that outcasts are so quick to target others but that's how it seems to go.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

that was the exact same thing, with me

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cerepol posted:

Sorry to see you go Golden Bee, you shall be missed I've always enjoyed your bits on Harmontown. Sucks that outcasts are so quick to target others but that's how it seems to go.

You know the show has gone to poo poo when even Goldberg has turned on it.

Dan can either be funny or he can be The Thoughtful Progressive, but he's not smart or funny enough to be both. He chose The Thoughtful Progressive and the show sucks because of it. Way to go, Harmon. Good luck getting people to shell out $20/month to listen to you not talk about stuff because "feminism." That's real loving entertaining, you fat idiot :thumbsup:

edit: Demorge Brown joke count: still ZERO

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 9, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol erkleberg

and also

quote:

[–]UltrabergConsulting Producer 45 points 1 day ago
Can't believe I was called autistic for 3 years by someone who doesn't see the point of colors.

RIP sweet prince

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Clearly he's not autistic, it took him three years but he finally figured out the social ques in play and realized that nobody appreciates a heckler, doubly so one without a sense of humour. For future reference a good way to not have people making GBS threads on you at shows is not hijacking the booth and shining a spotlight on yourself. I don't know that anyone targeted the guy, seems more like he painted the target on himself (sometimes victim blaming is the answer).

As for the show, it's strange to me hearing so many people say that it's lost its way or become bad. Seems to me like it's always been really inconsistent, as much mud as gold. I'm still really enjoying putting it on in the background and tuning in during the odd cogent moments.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

going to a harmontown made me realize that goldberg isn't really that out of the norm

like you have to understand the stage is maybe, and this is being generous, like...five feet away from the first row

and that's being generous

it's this poorly lit, hot af room that's basically a cupboard that's incredibly close to the audience

like you're right there

then on top of that you got harmon et al doin their thing and they explicitly encourage audience input and they're all about no pressure or mockery, which means that any ol' fuckface if they make enough noise will get brought up, which again is to this lovely little platform that could be charitably called a stage if you're being REALLY generous that's within arms distance of the audience

goldberg was just the guy cynical enough to realize that this is how the game is played and exploited it, and for what it's worth he has a greater success ratio than every other person who gets brought up

honestly the whole thing harmon does where he complains about goldberg than brings up a weird homophobic idiot girl two weeks in a row to express her lovely dumb bad opinions is more indicative of how the show's complete lack of narrative focus or rules kills it

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah, i've been to the venue before so I understand how it can happen and for the most part I am really glad it does. The audience participation is a great part of the show but there's a difference between being an invitation and an invasion. There's also a lot of merit in reading the room and knowing when your time on the stage is done, which it seems GB has finally been able to do, albeit three years too late.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I honestly don't know any more if the audience participation is a great part of the show, I really don't think it is

ed: I think i came to the realization that harmon is generally speaking really bad at philosophy or social consciousness because he's the exact sort of liberal progressive who only really cares about issues that directly affect him and he has no real knowledge or desire for knowledge to actually form a coherent viewpoint, so he rattles off empty platitudes because then he's impossible to criticize while still providing no real substance

I think harmontown is best when it's either about him explaining or talking about his neuroses or providing a backstage glimpse into what the mind of a showrunner is actually like, interspersed with the comedy bits which are always fantastic

honestly at this point i've kind of reached the point where mbmbam is basically the show i wish harmontown was and a lot of that's because the mcelroys know how to control audiences, and i'd rather they adopt a Q and A style format then bringing people up to quiz them since like 90% of the time the people are either awkward or the exact sort of people you'd never ever want to hand a mic to

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 10, 2015

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I just caught up after taking a break back when Jeff was on hiatus from the show. Anie with one N is the worst thing since brain aneurysm guy.

Justin Roiland came off as a really stupid unfunny person. Like a Duncan Tressel without a pulse.

edit: aw, RIP Goldberg. I thought he had a nice little niche carved out on the podcast. I never minded him. But I'm only hearing the stuff Dan and Jeff are ridiculing.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

honestly the whole thing harmon does where he complains about goldberg than brings up a weird homophobic idiot girl two weeks in a row to express her lovely dumb bad opinions is more indicative of how the show's complete lack of narrative focus or rules kills it
Who?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Over a year ago, no idea which episode. A normal was invited up to the stage and spouted off unpopular opinions. The audience boo'd her so she got defensive and doubled down on "my opinions!". Chanting ensued.

The next week she was brought back up on stage because Dan was uncomfortable with the idea of someone being boo'd in Harmontown.

It was actually kind of entertaining.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That's Lisette, from around episode 69 or 70.

"Let it go!"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Toxxupation posted:

To be fair, if you're at a modern episode of Harmontown and you're caught up, you've heard around 300 hours of Dan's opinion. That means great great eps, and also things like "Morality", where he was blackout drunk and made the point that nobody needs to make a point*.

So anything and anyone who's not Dan is starting from 400 yards back. Sometimes, you'll get someone really articulate (like Eric Esquivel or Skuda or something) who can explain a point...and 40 episodes later Dan will forget it and start making his original argument.

Even people who have a point (but end up abrasive) like those CommuniCon girls from ep 76 get explained from the stage, told they don't have to go up, and then 50 people yell "Bring her up, bring her up!"
At which point they voice an opinion that differs from Dan's and Dan either kowtows, or stands firm and most of the 150 people in attendance start booing.

If Harmontown was a public forum, or a discussion of a moon colony, it isn't anymore. It's an echo chamber for Dan's self-love/self hatred, funny bits, and Gen-Xer gasconades. After 300 hours of Dan and Jeff, outside opinions (even if they're drat good, like the discussion we had in Earthshine, or Tyler Perry's Antisemitic Pickle Ziggurat) are outside what the show is anymore. Even something like stopping a navel-gazing death spiral And starting a race-'em-up talkshow would be booed out of the building.

My point isn't I was victimized or not, or I was right or not, but that the show's structure has changed fundamentally to be more viscious, and over the past 3 years the fanbase has changed enough that it -wants- to be viscous. I'd say maybe 5-10% of people attending in 2012 are attending nowadays, so maybe I should've been spending Sundays at the pub with Nti years ago.

*In retrospect, that episode was about "What if people turn on me for my disease, which is alcoholism, like they turned on the guy who had brain-trauma induced pedophilia?

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Wait, so you're trying to tell me that Dan Harmon's show Harmontown starring Mayor Dan Harmon tends to favour Dan Harmon's views over those of the people that just wandered in? From all reports Dan doesn't run his writers room like an open forum and he selected those people and pays them for their opinions, so I don't know that the show was ever able to be anything but a dictatorship.

Luckily, though, it doesn't need to be. Enough people are willing to opt into hearing Dan rant, whether they agree with him or not, and so the show survives. That the audience get a little unwieldy when someone invites themselves to talk instead of him is understandable; it's not an inability to hear counterpoints but a dislike of commercials, its an unsolicited interruption of the entertainment they chose to consume. If you cut from Mad Men to the shrill voice of a guy spruiking carpets it's going to irritate, when you elect a democrat president and the Republican's control the legislature people get irritated. Guests on Harmontown are only ever going to be mirrors for Harmon to reflect off of, to disperse or distill his light, and when they are happy to do that they serve a positive purpose I think.

I do feel like Dan's in a bit too safe a space to be as entertaining as usual though. His being happily married and creatively successful make for a content and peaceful podcast where he swerves away from offending anyone. I personally prefer it when he's on the edge, with nothing to lose. Chances are it won't be too long before we're back there though.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I dunno, I listen to Harmontown like most people watch fiery car crashes on the side of the highway.

It's the weekly podcast version of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA1hyqA6UTY

or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsdeAF_Prfo

or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aRMbw0TYC8

It tickles the same part of my brain. The documentary pitched Harmontown as a unifying thread amongst outcasts. Really, it's somewhere between that, and a man's descent into disconnected, rich guy, alcoholism.

And I love it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Wait, so what happened with Adam Goldberg? I listened to this week's show and the only mention of him was that he went into the greenroom and had a quiz that they weren't going to get to.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Seems like it was off camera but gold bee realized that he go onto the show the wrong way

personally I liked goldb, I understood what he was doing and I liked how he handled it. But other people just loving hate him for whatever reason. It's like, in a comedy bit you have the striaght guy and the fun guy, or the doof and the cool guy. Well, some people don't realize the doof is playing a part and instead treat them as if they are a nerd to bully.

tl;dr - erkleberg realized that he was screechin', decided to get out now before its too too late.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Brocktoon posted:

Wait, so what happened with Adam Goldberg? I listened to this week's show and the only mention of him was that he went into the greenroom and had a quiz that they weren't going to get to.

Goldberg had an online meltdown, claimed he was playing a character the whole time and swore off Harmontown forever.

quote:

On December 15, 1989, an episode of Family Matters aired named Laura’s First Date. Laura Winslow was accidentally set up with two guys, one of whom was a doofus. Family Matters co-creator Michael Warren named the one-time character after his friend, Steve Erkel.

The character (Urkel) was an amazing success, saving the show (which was in the ratings dumpster), and inspiring a dance, a cereal and a boardgame.

Meanwhile, Steve Erkel-with-an-E found it very hard to make restaurant reservations. He would get prank calls and endure a decade worth of “Oh, like the Nerd?” comments when he mentioned his name.
On June 6, 2012, I accidentally started playing a character named Adam Goldberg.

And last night, I realized that I’ve gone from from a fun friend of a show to a guy who can’t get a table. What was once a good gag (”Wait a minute!” vs “Did I do that?”) has turned into random rear end strangers poo poo talking me, and me paying $13* for the privilege.

Which was not one of the labors of Hercules, to be sure, but it’s still something.

I’m not saying I got nothing out of Harmontown; my apartment is decorated with the work of friends I met there. I have a signed copy of Dan’s book in the corner of the room, a Christmas coaster. There’s a bead bracelet that says Mulraine denoting one of fan-cords I otherwise confuse. I’ve gotten a set of dice and some fanart. I’ve been to Dan’s mansion a few times, met (and befriended!) many people I wouldn’t have met in other walks of life.

But I can’t be the person I’m treated as any more. (And this is why Dan quit Reddit, then Twitter, and soon Foursquare and Smoke Signl or whatever comes next.)

I‘m not pointing fingers; it’s not like there weren’t clues, but like Urkel-with-a-U, I confused attention for acceptance. So after three years, whose decision is it?

I did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
I honestly don't understand why so many of you listen to the show if you hate it so much.

I've been listening for around two years, and while it's had its ups and downs, it's on average a really entertaining show. Have you considered that you don't like it and it's maybe not for you?