Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Hegay posted:

Iberian World Cup, Madrid, Barcelona, Lisbon, Porto and Bilbao.

Hell, this is my poo poo. Lots of sun and beaches for fratty bros to surf and drink beer, hot babes with big tits and gorgeous black hair glistening in the sun, a healthy and decent amount of racism (some monkey sounds) but not the violent banana throwers you'll find in some other countries, a lot of homophobia but there are no queer football players apart from that american one who barely plays so it's not a big deal, the Ballon d'Or Cristiano Ronaldo powered up to insane levels by playing amongst his compatriots.... I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

We had pretty good attendance the last time we hosted, when the sport was far less popular in the US. Obviously we don't have any 30k+ soccer only stadiums, but then, we don't have a lot of soccer only stadiums anyway and a lot of our stadiums are mixed-use or easily convertible.

Most of the MLS have their own stadiums now. They're just not huge. I think the only people who still play in baseball stadiums* are DC United and NYC FC, but they're both getting their own stadiums.

We've had this discussion countless times in this forum because people for some reason think USA is an ideal world cup host and its just not.

If you lot manage to jail a load of FIFA people and change football for the better by all means give America another world cup its the least they deserve but lets not pretend that USA would even break the top ten of 'countries most suited to hosting a world cup on short notice', let alone 'countries most deserving of a world cup'.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This really isn't a big deal to Americans, admittedly.

I hear tell that not every team that plays in a WC is American though, in fact, I think the majority aren't. Not sure though, let me check the googles and get back to you

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Hell, this is my poo poo. Lots of sun and beaches for fratty bros to surf and drink beer, hot babes with big tits and gorgeous black hair glistening in the sun, a healthy and decent amount of racism (some monkey sounds) but not the violent banana throwers you'll find in some other countries, a lot of homophobia but there are no queer football players apart from that american one who barely plays so it's not a big deal, the Ballon d'Or Cristiano Ronaldo powered up to insane levels by playing amongst his compatriots.... I'm in.

This! This!!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Ok I think we have determined that the USA is a country with stadiums in it and give the right circumstances and water table, it could possibly host a world cup, it may or may not be poo poo.

Talk about something else now.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Blue Star Error posted:

We've had this discussion countless times in this forum because people for some reason think USA is an ideal world cup host and its just not.

If you lot manage to jail a load of FIFA people and change football for the better by all means give America another world cup its the least they deserve but lets not pretend that USA would even break the top ten of 'countries most suited to hosting a world cup on short notice', let alone 'countries most deserving of a world cup'.

Oh we can host it on short notice. We have the facilities -- they don't have to be "soccer specific stadiums." Are we deserving? Not really, no. I don't think we'd be an ideal host either.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I hear tell that not every team that plays in a WC is American though, in fact, I think the majority aren't. Not sure though, let me check the googles and get back to you

Those aren't countries that matter. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is someone gonna make a women's world cup thread or what?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Josh Lyman posted:

Oh good, time for Americans to pretend to care about soccer AND women's sports.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Josh Lyman posted:

yeah also let's make a thread for the beach soccer tournament I'm having with my friends tomorrow...Not. Only real football allowed in this forum buddy, honestly there shouldn't even be a dutch league thread

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oh we can host it on short notice. We have the facilities -- they don't have to be "soccer specific stadiums." Are we deserving? Not really, no. I don't think we'd be an ideal host either.

By this standard (soccer specific stadiums that are within "relatively" short distance to each other) there's only about 10 or so countries able to host world cups without pulling a Brazil and going billions into debt.

Of course according to Euro goons this is the point.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

yeah also let's make a thread for the beach soccer tournament I'm having with my friends tomorrow...Not. Only real football allowed in this forum buddy, honestly there shouldn't even be a dutch league thread

i'd read that beach tourney thread tbf

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

Ok I think we have determined that the USA is a country with stadiums in it and give the right circumstances and water table, it could possibly host a world cup, it may or may not be poo poo.

Talk about something else now.
Here ye are:

quote:

The FBI is investigating the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups to Russia and Qatar as part of its wide-ranging crackdown on Fifa corruption, according to Reuters.

The American bureau, which along with the Swiss authorities arrested numerous Fifa officials in Zurich last week on corruption charges, is reportedly examining the controversial awarding of the 2018 and 2022 tournaments, whose destinations were decided in 2010. The Swiss authorities had already declared they were investigating the 2018 and 2022 bids.

Jérôme Valcke, the Fifa general secretary, has also said “I don’t feel guilty” despite being at the centre of a storm that alleges South Africa paid $10m to secure three votes for the 2010 World Cup.

“I have no reason to say that I shouldn’t remain secretary general regarding what’s happened in the last days, because I have no responsibility,” he told France Info radio. “I’m beyond reproach and I certainly don’t feel guilty. So I don’t even have to justify that I’m innocent.”

According to Reuters, an FBI official who spoke on condition of anonymity said Fifa’s decision to award the World Cups to Russia and Qatar respectively are part of a probe that is looking beyond the allegations in an indictment published last week that alleged endemic corruption at the world governing body.

Earlier on Wednesday, Russian officials had said Blatter’s resignation would have no impact on their preparations to host the 2018 World Cup.

“It’s not about Russia or Qatar, it’s about respect to football players,” the deputy prime minister Arkady Dvorkovich told the Guardian. “Any political interference into football affairs is illegal. Our preparations are going very well, much better than in some other World Cup countries. We have learned from them.”

Fikile Mbalula, the South African sports minister, has denied his country bribed Fifa officials in order to secure votes for the 2010 World Cup, even though a $10m payment was made to the Caribbean Football Union.

A letter from the South African Football Association in 2008 was addressed specifically to Valcke and contained detailed information about how the payment – claimed to be for a “Diaspora Legacy Programme” – should be processed.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Hell, I love racism and Spain. I'd go, possible goonmeet?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Here ye are:

Excellent, excellent.

Though, I do have a question for you guys who actually follow the sport -- do you think that this will lead to a clean FIFA eventually, or just make them hide their corruption better?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Crazy Ted posted:

Here ye are:

Imagine being from an insanely poor African country and giving millions of dollars to a bunch of rich dudes so they can have the chance to make even more money from your poo poo country. Why do we even want this to change?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Close the thread until someone from a first world country gets arrested

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
The FBI getting involved with the 18 and 22 votes has delighted me op

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

advanced statsman posted:

Imagine being from an insanely poor African country and giving millions of dollars to a bunch of rich dudes so they can have the chance to make even more money from your poo poo country. Why do we even want this to change?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'd like to see the US get the 2018 World Cup, because it would mean taking it off Russia, who loving deserve to lose it for invading the Ukraine and killing thousands of people for Putins deadly Novorossiya sexual fantasy, plus all the racism and homophobia and poo poo. It going to the US would be the ultimate gently caress you. Though, I guess UK would also be a gently caress you. Germany doesn't deserve it because they're doing the appeasement crap.

Then 2022 can come to Australia and we'll show everyone the Sydney Olympics wasn't a fluke and we can host a rip snorter of a world sporting event any time :australia:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like Morgan Freeman as much as the next guy, but what does he have to do with it?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

NTRabbit posted:

I'd like to see the US get the 2018 World Cup, because it would mean taking it off Russia, who loving deserve to lose it for invading the Ukraine and killing thousands of people for Putins deadly Novorossiya sexual fantasy, plus all the racism and homophobia and poo poo.

I think the racism and homophobia is better in Russia tbh.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

oliwan posted:

I think the racism and homophobia is better in Russia tbh.

You're an idiot.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Lmfao

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pook Good Mook posted:

You're an idiot.

lol. who is this pussy human being?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite films

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

oliwan posted:

lol. who is this pussy human being?

Oliwan.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

track day bro! posted:

Hell, I love racism and Spain. I'd go, possible goonmeet?

im calling fluo

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

yes but I mean the other guy

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

African AIDS cum posted:

African aids cum literally stealing my jokes, well well well

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

none of the big stadiums are in the bumfuck prairies. they're mostly in the south.

if you're being expansive with your definition of prairie, there's five above 40k:

Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City -- which hosted WC match in 1994 iirc)
Kansas Memorial Stadium
Bill Snyder Family Stadium (Kansas State)
Gaylord Stadium (Oklahoma)
Boone Pickens Stadium (Oklahoma State)
Memorial Stadium (Nebraska)

You could also include Iowa and Iowa State's stadiums.

It would be both cruel and unusual to host a world sporting event and put it in the midwest. Oaklahoma? Are you loving kidding me?

Shame on you

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

NTRabbit posted:

I'd like to see the US get the 2018 World Cup, because it would mean taking it off Russia, who loving deserve to lose it for invading the Ukraine and killing thousands of people for Putins deadly Novorossiya sexual fantasy, plus all the racism and homophobia and poo poo. It going to the US would be the ultimate gently caress you. Though, I guess UK would also be a gently caress you. Germany doesn't deserve it because they're doing the appeasement crap.

Then 2022 can come to Australia and we'll show everyone the Sydney Olympics wasn't a fluke and we can host a rip snorter of a world sporting event any time :australia:

I'd like to see the USSR get the 2018 World Cup, because it would mean taking it off America, who loving deserve to lose it for invading the Iraq and killing thousands of people for Bush's deadly judeo-christian sexual fantasy, plus all the racism and homophobia and poo poo. It going to the Russia would be the ultimate gently caress you. Though, I guess China would also be a gently caress you. Germany doesn't deserve it because they're doing the appeasement crap.

Then 2022 can come to Qatar and we'll show everyone the 2019 World Championships wasn't a fluke and we can host a rip snorter of a world sporting event any time :milk:

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Lol yeah Russia invaded a country on fabricated pretexts then made them hold sham elections, so give their world cup to the united states

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
In regards to the Women's World Cup and the women playing in it, I feel as I've already seen all of Hope Solo and others I needed to see thanks to those recent leaks. So as to not be too vague or subtle I mean I've already seen their tits, their p*ssy and their rear end. So I don't feel the need to watch it. But do post a thread

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

same OP

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

drat.

Antares posted:

Lol yeah Russia invaded a country on fabricated pretexts then made them hold sham elections, so give their world cup to the united states

lmao

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Parody Threads posted:

I'd like to see the USSR get the 2018 World Cup, because it would mean taking it off America, who loving deserve to lose it for invading the Iraq and killing thousands of people for Bush's deadly judeo-christian sexual fantasy, plus all the racism and homophobia and poo poo. It going to the Russia would be the ultimate gently caress you. Though, I guess China would also be a gently caress you. Germany doesn't deserve it because they're doing the appeasement crap.

Then 2022 can come to Qatar and we'll show everyone the 2019 World Championships wasn't a fluke and we can host a rip snorter of a world sporting event any time :milk:

Top class post, excellent username/post combo

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

This thread is so loving bad, everybody take a break for a bit. I'll reopen it later.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

ok, lets try to stay on topic

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is Sepp still permabanned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

The goony snitch is talking

quote:

Blazer, an eccentric power broker for American soccer for decades, and a member of the Fifa executive committee for six years until 2013, also admitted in the court facilitating the payment of a bribe relating to the 1998 World Cup.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/03/fifa-chuck-blazer-bribes-world-cup