Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Hold on

If the snake lady has to slither around

Wouldn't the tits kind of get in the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

MrBims posted:

You aren't supposed to be able to win every mission in LW. Knowing when to run, and how to minimize losses when running, is important. If you try to savescum to win every mission you can send the algorithms determining alien resources and movements way out of whack and end up screwing yourself.

It isn't realistic or fun for an alien invasion to give you fights that are all on your own terms. LW makes it a tug of war - you put in some punches, and you take some in turn, but hopefully you can keep up long enough to get the chance to hit back hard enough.

Pretty much this. I'm only in April in my game of Long War, first month, second week I had, I believe, a supply ship. I was in no way prepared for it even if it's only a supply ship. Long War likes to throw those gear checks at you. If you try this poo poo, be prepared to head back to the LZ and ex-fil.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Byers2142 posted:

:hf:

All incendiary, all night.

All HE, all day.

You still need HE at night to purge any farmhouse that might commit the sin of hiding xenos.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

PiCroft posted:

I've tried the Long War mod before, couldn't get into it. It felt like I was getting thrown into poo poo I couldn't possibly be prepared for; once I attacked a downed Harvester, I found the bridge and literally 8-9 mutons barged out. This was in addition to the ~5 Chrysalids and god knows how many floaters. This was beforeI'd had a chance to get Laser weapons and had only just gotten Carapace armour.

I understand XCOm is about challenge, but all the times I got my rear end kicked in vanilla EU/EW, I at least stood a theoretical chance against the enemy without having to save scum. I struggle to imagine how advanced I'd have had to be to stand a hope in hell in that situation and that mission convinced me not to bother playing further with that mod.

I'm not sure if it's changed at all since then, since now that I know XCOM 2 is coming in 5 long agonising months, I want to get another fix of XCOM and I'm trying to decide wether to scratch that itch with another EW playthough or try that openxcom people have mentioned.

The landed large UFO in the first few months is hard-coded, and is specifically there to teach you that skipping or evacing missions is perfectly okay. If you're badass enough to beat it without good troops or equipment it'll gain you a bunch of resources, but also make the aliens throw harder stuff at you from then on.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Segmentation Fault posted:

Hey guys, hehe, what do you think it'd be like to be swallowed by the snakelady, hehe, I just think it's fun to think about hehe

Control Volume posted:

just lol if u dont want to be swallowed alive by a strong powerful snake with tits

this except I'm the tit snake lady

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hold on

She only slithers on her bottom half duh

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MrBims posted:

You aren't supposed to be able to win every mission in LW. Knowing when to run, and how to minimize losses when running, is important. If you try to savescum to win every mission you can send the algorithms determining alien resources and movements way out of whack and end up screwing yourself.

It isn't realistic or fun for an alien invasion to give you fights that are all on your own terms. LW makes it a tug of war - you put in some punches, and you take some in turn, but hopefully you can keep up long enough to get the chance to hit back hard enough.

but the invasion isn't an 'invasion', its an escalating test to see if humans are psionically gifted/physically gifted in a way none of the other slave species are.

Like, the Ethereal explicitly spells this out for you at the end of the game. The aliens could have won by throwing Sectopods/Ethereals at you month one super easily, but they throw Sectoids by themselves instead. Long War gets way up its own rear end about this and implements what is a backwards difficulty curve like vanilla.

Like, the aliens should be more difficult if you do well and easier if you do poorly. And not in Long War's bullshit 'They give a bit more Meld' sense.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Moddington posted:

The landed large UFO in the first few months is hard-coded, and is specifically there to teach you that skipping or evacing missions is perfectly okay. If you're badass enough to beat it without good troops or equipment it'll gain you a bunch of resources, but also make the aliens throw harder stuff at you from then on.

Seriously? I had no idea.

I don't know why I have a thing against evacing missions. In the past I would always save scum because I felt that losing a soldier was like a massive failure. The same applied to the original Xcom. It wasn't until I took a step back, stopped caring so deeply about individual soldiers and carried on that the games became a lot more fun and less tedious.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Eej posted:

She only slithers on her bottom half duh

Seems to require a lot of muscle to be able to do that though and much slower

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ZenVulgarity posted:

Seems to require a lot of muscle to be able to do that though and much slower

Live specimen

This race developed in an extremely hostile environment. They are extremely tough and can resist extreme temperature variations.
Their mobility depends on a snake-like giant "foot" which protects all the vital organs.
Their objectives appear to be purely predatory and they appear to be under the command of some other Intelligence which directs their military-style incursions on earth.
Autopsy

Snakeman - Autopsy
The skin is extremely tough and heat resistant.
The cardio-vascular system is part of the muscular system which uses the hydraulic principle to create motion. The only true muscle is the "heart".
The reproductive system appears to be very efficient. Reproduction is asexual, with each snakeman carrying up to fifty eggs inside its body at any one time.
Left to its own devices this species would be a severe threat to life on earth.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
:owned: :vince:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

winterwerefox posted:

You have to ask?

please put this in the OP

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Long War has an awful sense of pacing, even worse than the original X-COM. It quickly got to the point that I was trudging through repetitive, tedious missions over and over because ignoring them would harm me too much in the long run. It's a shame because it has a lot of cool quality of life mods rolled into it that I can't seem to get otherwise.

I really hope Firaxis randomizes enemy reinforcements on the "fixed" maps in XCOM2 so you can't just memorize where they'll spawn and kill them with overwatch fire. Actually, I'm kind of hoping enemy reinforcements are endless and increase in strength as you prolong an engagement.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
The strangest thing about OG X-COM is that the best move you can make on the first turn of any mission is to...... hit End Turn. Enemy reaction fire is greatly increased when they have full time units, which they absolutely do have when you try to single file march out of the skyranger. All those reaction shots you've eaten on the first round? Most of them are prevented by just waiting a single turn.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

please put this in the OP

you can go to hells

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

fargom posted:

The strangest thing about OG X-COM is that the best move you can make on the first turn of any mission is to...... hit End Turn. Enemy reaction fire is greatly increased when they have full time units, which they absolutely do have when you try to single file march out of the skyranger. All those reaction shots you've eaten on the first round? Most of them are prevented by just waiting a single turn.

atleast until they get blaster launchers

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

fargom posted:

This is an excellent plan except for the times when they get lucky, spot you, and roll a grenade up the on-ramp. Then it's hilarious. :xcom:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Coolguye posted:

you can go to hells

it can go next to this

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Also I have the best plan of attack for OG X-COM alien bases. This is how I clean up the map late game after obtaining the avenger. Please listen to me fellow goons because I am a strategy master.

Mission Name: Baptism by Fire
Objective: Destroy alien base
Plan steps:
1. Recruit 26 brand new rookies.
2. Manufacture 26 laser rifles and buy 26 grenades.
3. Shove all rookies into avenger, 1 laser rifle, 1 grenade each.
4. BUDDDDDY SYSTEM. All soldiers pick a buddy and hold hands while exploring the base.
5. TWENTY-SIX MEN ENTER, HOPEFULLY AT LEAST ONE MAN LEAVES.

Repeat for all bases.

~~Fin~~

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

it can go next to this

This is pretty funny tho. I still have hopes that this was made by a self aware human.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I love it when goons do that thing were they get super outraged/grossed out about horrible poo poo on the internet, and then post their entire folder of it.

That they collected doing research.

Because they just wanted to learn how bad it was.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

I love it when goons do that thing were they get super outraged/grossed out about horrible poo poo on the internet, and then post their entire folder of it.

same

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I watched the XCom2 trailer and couldn't comprehend what I was seeing or why it was important - soldiers stealthily get into place and then launch some guerilla-warfare style attack on a group of hodge podge aliens, uh, sure - but it reminded me that I bought Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within in a Steam sale and hadn't played.

Four hours in and loving it, I realized all the other countries were leaving because I forgot to build satellites and had no way to control the panic. That's cool, I want to start over anyway now that I know what I'm doing and won't take stupid casualties the same way I did earlier. This time I'll start with Enemy Within now that I know it blends in to the original game and isn't "XCom 1.5".

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

counterfeitsaint posted:

I love it when goons do that thing were they get super outraged/grossed out about horrible poo poo on the internet, and then post their entire folder of it

It's true, they tend to have much more complete folders than us and we appreciate their sharing.

On the serious side, I'm glad that the snake tits they decided to add weren't the standard video game size of comically large. I legit didn't notice them until people pointed it out.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Can't wait for the Hot Coffee mod

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BJPaskoff posted:

I watched the XCom2 trailer and couldn't comprehend what I was seeing or why it was important - soldiers stealthily get into place and then launch some guerilla-warfare style attack on a group of hodge podge aliens, uh, sure - but it reminded me that I bought Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within in a Steam sale and hadn't played.

Four hours in and loving it, I realized all the other countries were leaving because I forgot to build satellites and had no way to control the panic. That's cool, I want to start over anyway now that I know what I'm doing and won't take stupid casualties the same way I did earlier. This time I'll start with Enemy Within now that I know it blends in to the original game and isn't "XCom 1.5".

Well now you know XCOM2 is the direct sequel to your first playthrough.

You jerk.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

seriously i want to see the uncensored tits-and-dick alien in pride of place in the first post of this thread

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

seriously i want to see the uncensored tits-and-dick alien in pride of place in the first post of this thread

Ask kewpuh

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

... You know what? I'm too drunk on rum to deal with this poo poo. I'm going to bed. Or have more rum. Either or.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
MEC tits are still the best.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Yeah, I aint linking that. Bad enough I found it in the first place.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

no thread turn back

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
turn left werewinterfox! noooo

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Vengarr posted:

lmao

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Irony,

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Vengarr posted:

BIG GUNS

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
gas thread ban op and winterwerefox

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

HEAVY DUTY

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hold on