Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The Guardian posted:

The Australian federal police have put out a statement this morning saying they would be considering investigating the country’s bid for the 2022 World Cup.

lmao at this rate everyone in the world is going to be investigating FIFA before this is all said and doen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The NYT has his actual testimony, which was given under seal in 2013. It's a fun read.

EDIT: I should also clarify this is when he pled guilty, as well.

Teddybear fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 4, 2015

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mods rename TRP the goony snitch speakeasy

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

The Fat Goony American posted:

During my association with FIFA and CONCACAF, among other things, I and others agreed that I or a co-conspirator would commit at least two acts of racketeering activity. Among other things, I agreed with other persons in or around 1992 to facilitate the acceptance of a bribe in conjunction with the selection of the host nation for the 1998 World Cup.

Beginning in or about 1993 and continuing through the early 2000s, I and others agreed to accept bribes and kickbacks in conjunction with the broadcast and other rights to the 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, and 2003 Gold Cups. Beginning in or around 2004 and continuing through 2011, I and others on the FIFA executive committee agreed to accept bribes in conjunction with the selection of South Africa as the host nation for the 2010 World Cup.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

mods rename TRP the goony snitch speakeasy

just how goony is this guy

e:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

quote:

However the specifics of his court testimony, which took place behind locked doors because of the potential damage to the FBI’s investigation in the event of a leak, remained sealed. The transcript was released on Wednesday following a petition from three New York-based reporters.

It revealed how the judge in the case, Raymond Dearie, referred to Fifa as a “racketeering influenced corrupt organization”, the same terminology used in cases of organised crime, and only allowed the hearing to proceed after the Brooklyn courtroom had been locked.

looks like the best possible judge was assigned to the case :pwn:

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

CLAM DOWN posted:

e:

Well, at least he will have time to finish Winds of Winter now that he is going to prison.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

looks like the best possible judge was assigned to the case :pwn:

quote:

THE C0URT: Is everybody satisfied?
Will you do me a favor and just open the door, and see if there is anybody lusting about in the hallway yearning to get in here.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/2093153/blazer.pdf

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

e:

He looks like a cross between George Lucas and Santa Claus, so pretty goony I'd say.

drat nice testimony though. Everyone is going to prison.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Have they arrested anyone from a first world country yet

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

vyelkin posted:

He looks like a cross between George Lucas and Santa Claus, so pretty goony I'd say.

drat nice testimony though. Everyone is going to prison.

Santa Claus because he was a bagman? :golfclap:

Looks like a cross between George Lucas every Unix guy ever.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
THE COURT: It js a 19 page typewritten document bearing the caption of this case.
THE CLERK: Judge Dearie, I placed the original in front of Mr. Blazer.
THE COURT: All right.
The first question, did you read it?
THE DEFENDANT: Yes, I have.
THE COURT: Did you read it carefully?
THE DEFENDANT: Yes, I did.
THE COURT: Would you agree that this is an important 19 pages in your life right now?
THE DEFENDANT: Extremely so.

THE COURT: Involving these organizations. I don't know how you pronounce it, FIFA.
MR. NORRIS: FIFA, Your Honor.

Tell me what your understanding of what a conspiracy is, what is a conspiracy?
THE DEFENDANT: That it is an activity conducted by a group of people for a specific aim and objective.
THE COURT: A specific what objective?
THE DEFENDANT: Aim or objective.
THE COURT: That is a B-Plus. It is a specific criminal aim or objective. Okay?
THE DEFENDANT: That is corrected.
THE COURT: It is an agreement to do something that the law forbids.
THE DEFENDANT: Okay.
THE COURT: It is the agreement itself.
THE COURT: You and I were buddies on the street and we agreed to sell marijuana and we meant it. We were going to go into the marijuana business. We committed the crime of conspiracy to distribute marijuana, whether we ever distributed a single gram. It is an agreement itself.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Speaking of goony dudes doing good, NPR and the Washington Post had pieces about Andrew Jennings, who did a lot of the journalistic legwork in bringing FIFA and the IOC to task. Cool guy, doesn't care about football, but cares about the treatment the fans have taken.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Kwagga posted:

hes hosed and he knows it

oh you're watching your wedding videos? hahaha owned

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

bloody hell, remind me to never set foot in the ecuadorean embassy. he's free but at what cost?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Whoa

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Paddyb posted:

Speaking of goony dudes doing good, NPR and the Washington Post had pieces about Andrew Jennings, who did a lot of the journalistic legwork in bringing FIFA and the IOC to task. Cool guy, doesn't care about football, but cares about the treatment the fans have taken.

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/03/411783592/i-think-fifa-stinks-says-reporter-who-exposed-corruption-scandal

This interview. One of the questions, paraphrased:

Q: You said you've been helping the FBI for six years. Are you comfortable with that, in your role as a journalist?

A: I'm perfectly happy with it because for nearly 2 decades I've looked at FIFA and the European police have done nothing, and the Swiss government has done nothing, so when a bunch of sophisticated, honest policemen turn up and say [in hushed tone] "hey wanna nail fifa?", what do you do? Say [in faux dramatic outrage] "oh no no no, I'm a liberal journalist I couldn't possibly give you anything"

fuckin lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Warner: I have kept quiet, fear that this day might come. I will do so no more.

e: Warner says he has given all documents and cheques to a third party, “beyond my own reach”.
He says he will give permission for this third party to release the documents.

Warner: Not even the fear for my life will stop the avalanche that is coming

The Arabic world pay as much money as anybody else for #FIFA rights says #Warner

Warner to Sepp Blatter: You can't say you're resigning and stay on. He caused my demise. I didn't cause his. #Marabella

"Blatter knows why he fell. And if anyone else knows, I do."

You can see the video of Warner’s TV broadcast – he bought the airtime – here. Tellingly, the political address was entitled: The Gloves Are Off.

In it he claims to have knowledge of links between Fifa and the 2010 elections in Trinidad and Tobago, and insists he did not receive a bribe from South Africa for its 2010 World Cup bid.

He says he has entrusted documents to a third party, beyond his own reach, that demonstrate “the link between Fifa, its funding and me”, as well as links between Fifa and the United National Congress, one of the parties in Trinidad and Tobago’s ruling coalition, and others relating to the T&T elections of 2010.

Warner says the documents “also deal with my knowledge of transactions at Fifa, including – but not limited to – its president, Mr Sepp Blatter”.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 4, 2015

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Jack Warner's insane video

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Does anyone know if Blatter has skipped town? I hope he tries.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Does anyone know if Blatter has skipped town? I hope he tries.

I believe Switzerland announced that they'd told him not to try to cross the border. But, drat. If Warner is actually able to prove that FIFA influenced the elections in Trinidad and Tobago, those assholes need to go down hard.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

vyelkin posted:

Warner: I have kept quiet, fear that this day might come. I will do so no more.

e: Warner says he has given all documents and cheques to a third party, “beyond my own reach”.
He says he will give permission for this third party to release the documents.

Warner: Not even the fear for my life will stop the avalanche that is coming

The Arabic world pay as much money as anybody else for #FIFA rights says #Warner

Warner to Sepp Blatter: You can't say you're resigning and stay on. He caused my demise. I didn't cause his. #Marabella

"Blatter knows why he fell. And if anyone else knows, I do."

You can see the video of Warner’s TV broadcast – he bought the airtime – here. Tellingly, the political address was entitled: The Gloves Are Off.

In it he claims to have knowledge of links between Fifa and the 2010 elections in Trinidad and Tobago, and insists he did not receive a bribe from South Africa for its 2010 World Cup bid.

He says he has entrusted documents to a third party, beyond his own reach, that demonstrate “the link between Fifa, its funding and me”, as well as links between Fifa and the United National Congress, one of the parties in Trinidad and Tobago’s ruling coalition, and others relating to the T&T elections of 2010.

Warner says the documents “also deal with my knowledge of transactions at Fifa, including – but not limited to – its president, Mr Sepp Blatter”.

Holy poo poo, this just keeps getting better and better. FIFA, as we know it, is going to cease to exist after this year.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I believe Switzerland announced that they'd told him not to try to cross the border. But, drat. If Warner is actually able to prove that FIFA influenced the elections in Trinidad and Tobago, those assholes need to go down hard.

I'm having a hard time believing anything that Warner is saying. If he can prove it, great, but after his Onion article video I expect his proof of this to be a printout of http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570853.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Why the gently caress would Fifa rig an election?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I can't decide if Jack Warner is helpful to the DOJ's case or incredibly harmful.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PerpetualSelf posted:

Why would you rent a $6,000 apartment for your cats?

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Pook Good Mook posted:

I can't decide if Jack Warner is helpful to the DOJ's case or incredibly harmful.

How would it be harmful he's just a senile old black man with a lot of money. He doesn't know what's going on.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

THE COURT: It js a 19 page typewritten document bearing the caption of this case.
THE CLERK: Judge Dearie, I placed the original in front of Mr. Blazer.
THE COURT: All right.
The first question, did you read it?
THE DEFENDANT: Yes, I have.
THE COURT: Did you read it carefully?
THE DEFENDANT: Yes, I did.
THE COURT: Would you agree that this is an important 19 pages in your life right now?
THE DEFENDANT: Extremely so.

THE COURT: Involving these organizations. I don't know how you pronounce it, FIFA.
MR. NORRIS: FIFA, Your Honor.

Tell me what your understanding of what a conspiracy is, what is a conspiracy?
THE DEFENDANT: That it is an activity conducted by a group of people for a specific aim and objective.
THE COURT: A specific what objective?
THE DEFENDANT: Aim or objective.
THE COURT: That is a B-Plus. It is a specific criminal aim or objective. Okay?
THE DEFENDANT: That is corrected.
THE COURT: It is an agreement to do something that the law forbids.
THE COURT: It is the agreement itself.
THE COURT: You and I were buddies on the street and we agreed to sell marijuana and we meant it. We were going to go into the marijuana business. We committed the crime of conspiracy to distribute marijuana, whether we ever distributed a single gram. It is an agreement itself.

lmao

plus the lusting line from the judge

:lol:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Is there a transcript of the Warner video anywhere? The bits I could understand were hilarious, but doing a search for it only gives me TWC trying to convince me to upgrade my cable package.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Chuck Blazer, marijuana conspirator

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PerpetualSelf posted:

It was next on their Supervillain Bucket List?

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

mackintosh posted:

Give the 2022 World Cup to us. It's about time football returned to its roots.

We have the opening ceremony nailed down pat.

I know this is a few pages back but I don't think its fair to give the World Cup to Russia twice in a row.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

PerpetualSelf posted:

Warner basically bankrolled the current ruling party's electoral campaign. Probably has nothing to do with FIFA beyond the fact that whatever money he used there he probably originally got through FIFA bribes, but he's been on the outs with with the government for the last year and a half or so (he's currently an independent MP) so he figures that if he's going to go down, they should as well – elections are this year, probably in November.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Considering that this scandal has already seen a Trump Tower apartment solely occupied by cats and a literal slave-driving oil sheik handing out Rolexes, FIFA rigging an election in a Caribbean island nation doesn't strain credulity at all.

Of course it's equally likely that Jack Warner could just be a raving loon.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Considering that this scandal has already seen a Trump Tower apartment solely occupied by cats and a literal slave-driving oil sheik handing out Rolexes, FIFA rigging an election in a Caribbean island nation doesn't strain credulity at all.

Of course it's equally likely that Jack Warner could just be a raving loon.

Sounds like both could be true

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GaussianCopula posted:

Sounds like both could be true

Yeah, they're definitely not mutually exclusive.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Lmao he's a loving lunatic.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

quote:

As Russia gears up to host the 2018 World Cup, concerns have been raised about the spiralling costs for the tournament and alleged corruption during the Fifa bidding process. Last week Alexander Khinshtein, of the ruling United Russia Party, announced legislative amendments that would allow inmates to perform forced labour outside their prison colonies, a move he said could help save money on World Cup construction.

quote:

148 racist and far-right incidents in Russian football during the 2012-13 and 13-14 seasons*

Racist and far-right banners and other displays inside stadium 74

Racist and far-right chants 6

Racist and far-right banners and graffiti and banners outside stadium 12

Racist and far-right manifestos, statements 3

Other racist activities 25

Assaults 9

Rallies, marches 2

Anti-police campaigns 1

Campaigns to help imprisoned Neo-Nazis 11

Wario tifos 0

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jun/04/racism-in-russia-incidents-world-cup-hosts

THATCHER BRAINWASH
Mar 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
Anti Police campaigns sounds okay.

The other stuff not so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm sure they bribed people to win it, but I think the World Cup in Russia will probably be pretty fun and I will be trying to go.

It will at least be entertaining watching the papers have meltdowns when England book a hotel in St Petersburg and play their group games in Vladivostok.