Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Dohaeris posted:

Well, Ojutai is still like 20-30 (And I need like, 2-4), but I can at least snag the temples I need and borrow my buddy's ojutais for a bit. Snagged the temples though, thanks!

Ojutai is 18 bucks right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Ojutai is 18 bucks right now.

alas we do not live in a world where everything is actually TCGPlayer low -10%, it's averaging 26

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Dragons+of+Tarkir/Dragonlord+Ojutai#paper

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Thinking about this again, MM15 has lowers prices somewhat, but not as much as Conspiracy did last year for certain cards. Stifle, Pernicious Deed, Misdirection, Exploration, Reflecting Pool were all 20 dollar cards that had their price bottom out to 3-5 bucks and it has stayed there, while it only added 1 new value card, maybe 2 (Dack and Council's Judgement.) Conspiracy packs were also regular retail value. This could be that the :10bux: pricepoint had made people wary to sell anything at a greatly lower price because of "my value!"
For "not being a real set" conspiracy is an amazing draft format. I played enough to make my own boosters. Scourge of the throne is money for some reason too.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Babylon Astronaut posted:

For "not being a real set" conspiracy is an amazing draft format. I played enough to make my own boosters. Scourge of the throne is money for some reason too.

Something something dragon-themed-EDH-decks blah blah blah.

(Incidentally, still in the process of building Scion of the Ur-Dragon)

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I still have not drafted it, and I'm dying to. I can't find enough people in my area who are willing to go in on a box and play (rural Japan, of course.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Since we are talking MM2 drafting I drafted this absurd deck last night but am absolutely positive I built it wrong so how would you guys have built it? I 2-1'd losing to an absolutely insane ramp/domain deck I allowed when I went p1p3 glint hawk idol over rampant growth after p1p1 All is Dust and p1p2 Lodestone Golem, which I also think was a mistake. I think in retrospect I'd cut one Thoughtcast for the Gust Skimmer cause the deck worked best when I got aggressive draws but I really don't know if I should have got the Sunforger in there or tried to go for the Eldrazi or not, so what do you guys think

e: I cropped the picture wrong but there's an All is Dust is to the right of the Hoverguard

Why Cathodion and not Sickleslicer main deck?

Cathodion will likely die at a point where you can't meaningfully spend the mana and Sickleslicer leaves behind a metalcraft, affinity enabling equipment that you can stick on a faerie mechanist in the late game.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Both Sperling and PV have some pretty reasonable comments on Goyfgate in their articles today, I was surprised. It seems to me that now that people are over their initial reactions we're probably going to see more analyses that acknowledge that it's dumb in a certain light, but not a failing on Pascal's part; rather, a sign that compensation and/or card values are off the chain.

In related news, Pascal records a draft where he does not take a foil Goyf. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Both Sperling and PV have some pretty reasonable comments on Goyfgate in their articles today, I was surprised. It seems to me that now that people are over their initial reactions we're probably going to see more analyses that acknowledge that it's dumb in a certain light, but not a failing on Pascal's part; rather, a sign that compensation and/or card values are off the chain.

In related news, Pascal records a draft where he does not take a foil Goyf. :v:

When do we get to the part where someone analyses the pages and pages of analyses over a draft pick and concludes that it's loving dumb

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheKingofSprings posted:

When do we get to the part where someone analyses the pages and pages of analyses over a draft pick and concludes that it's loving dumb

You're posting in it right now

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I still have not drafted it, and I'm dying to. I can't find enough people in my area who are willing to go in on a box and play (rural Japan, of course.)
I got a box, and my local game store runs conspiracy when there aren't enough people to draft at FNM. You see the craziest interactions that don't exist anywhere else. W/B voting is a hell of a deck.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I got a box, and my local game store runs conspiracy when there aren't enough people to draft at FNM. You see the craziest interactions that don't exist anywhere else. W/B voting is a hell of a deck.

I've always been a fan of U/G screaming seahawk/howling wolf shenanigans with as many echoing courage as I can draft, but apparently I draft with bad players because that seems to always be open. Bonus points when you can also draft favorable winds and any of the "make this creature better" conspiracies.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Olothreutes posted:

I've always been a fan of U/G screaming seahawk/howling wolf shenanigans with as many echoing courage as I can draft, but apparently I draft with bad players because that seems to always be open. Bonus points when you can also draft favorable winds and any of the "make this creature better" conspiracies.

My favorite draft was when I had like 4 Compulsive Research and the conspiracy that lets you draw a card when you cast it and the one that lets you copy it when you cast it. My deck didn't do anything but man did it do it well. I ended up decking myself as the 2nd last person in the game rather than let him kill me.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 4, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

My favorite draft was I had like 4 Compulsive Research and the conspiracy that lets you draw a card when you cast it and the one that lets you copy it when you cast it. My deck didn't do anything but man did it do it well. I ended up decking myself as the 2nd last person in the game rather than let him kill me.

That sounds awesome. The best I ever managed was 3 cmc hasty 4/4 seahawks with a favorable winds out. It got removed, fast. I also lost that game to the person playing suicide black who killed us all with infectious horror triggers.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Olothreutes posted:

That sounds awesome. The best I ever managed was 3 cmc hasty 4/4 seahawks with a favorable winds out. It got removed, fast. I also lost that game to the person playing suicide black who killed us all with infectious horror triggers.

I decked one guy after using Trumpet Blast on his attack to kill another, then went out honorably by enchanting my Barbed Shocker with the enchantment that lets it ping. It was 3 more things than I expected to do with that deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Speaking of Japan, I'm gonna be in Hiroshima, Kyoto, and Tokyo in July, with most of that time being spent in Kyoto. I have found great info for stores in Osaka, Nagoya, and Tokyo, but nothing for Hiroshima and Kyoto. Is the scene dead there?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

GoutPatrol posted:

Speaking of Japan, I'm gonna be in Hiroshima, Kyoto, and Tokyo in July, with most of that time being spent in Kyoto. I have found great info for stores in Osaka, Nagoya, and Tokyo, but nothing for Hiroshima and Kyoto. Is the scene dead there?

I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of stores that sell mtg cards in Kyoto and Hiroshima as well. Pretty much anywhere they sell DuelMasters or Battle-Speed, or whatever other flashy-over-the-top anime-children-maid-battle card games you can name, there will probably be magic cards to purchase. You might have to ask someone, but they're almost certainly there.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Olothreutes posted:

Screaming Seahawk is the best card in the format, hilariously. I think I might get myself a box of Conspiracy for party drafting purposes.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Four Score posted:

alas we do not live in a world where everything is actually TCGPlayer low -10%, it's averaging 26

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Dragons+of+Tarkir/Dragonlord+Ojutai#paper

I don't get this, even if you do 4 of they are 19.50 each right now on tcgplayer from the same seller. They are not 26 to pick them up. Also I have an Ojutai for trade of you are wanting one.

On a different note I drafted MM15 the other day. Cracked nothing but garbage and put together a RW equipment deck and wrecked shop. Some idiot passed me a sunforger and it was on. Kor dues list and a sunforger? Yeah smash you in the face for 10.

I guess it helped opening two dismembers in P1 and P2 and removing every loving bomb everyone had.

I opened 4 more packs on my winnings and got a dumpster fire and a splinter twin. 70 bucks worth of packs for a 13 dollar rare.
gently caress opening this set.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Too bad you're in a different spot than the rural Japan where my friends and I lived when CNS came out, woulda been rad having more than four.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of stores that sell mtg cards in Kyoto and Hiroshima as well. Pretty much anywhere they sell DuelMasters or Battle-Speed, or whatever other flashy-over-the-top anime-children-maid-battle card games you can name, there will probably be magic cards to purchase. You might have to ask someone, but they're almost certainly there.

No clue about Hiroshima, but there are definitely places to play/shop MTG in Kyoto (Amenity Dream in Sanjo comes to mind, and there are a couple more stores in that area). I do think a lot of the would-be scene there has gravitated to Osaka instead, though. There are also some shops like Hobby Station in shopping centers right by Kyoto station but their MTG selection generally isn't outstanding.

Fair warning: Amenity Dream is probably the best Kyoto shop, but their Osaka locations have the assholiest service of any Osaka card shop I've been in.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jun 4, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cracked a pack of MM15 on a whim today.

Bob, Electrolyze, and a Remand. :unsmith:

Second pack just had an Etched Champion, but hey, I'll take it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So given that I suck at drafting, would I be better suited to playing Swiss on MTGO until I learn how to not suck?

Or is there a book I can buy on how to not suck at drafting?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Count Bleck posted:

So given that I suck at drafting, would I be better suited to playing Swiss on MTGO until I learn how to not suck?

I don't know how long you've been drafting but yes you should play Swiss. I've been playing MTGO for years and I still only play swiss because when I draft I want to actually play magic, not scrub out in the first round.

The best way to get better at it is to just keep practicing. Everyone sucks when they start, but with tons of practice you can eventually graduate to "not terrible" like I did.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Also, outside "study" helps a lot, I found. limited Resources is much better than its constructed counterpart. I basically learn formats by watching noah - Modogrinder1 on Twitch - draft. Kenji's (much) more entertaining, but Noah does a better job explaining his thought processes while drafting, and his smaller crowd makes it very easy to interact with him if you have specific questions.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Listen to LR.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Why the gently caress is Omniscience 30 dollars :stare:

Edit: Why the gently caress is Blood Moon 60 dollars?!

Really late to this but HOLY poo poo that's a lot of money. I am trying to trade out of omni-tell because no one plays legacy around here, I think now is the right time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Omni was a T1 Legacy deck you can build for under 1500. That cannot stand.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Im going to echo the Listen to the Limited Resources Podcast. It really is a great resource.

Other than that watch draft videos, LSV is great for explaining his decisions, especially when he decides to do something stupid for fun, he will tell you what the correct pick actually was. However, even with a gimmick deck, LSV still 3-0s fairly often. MarshHulk Sutcliffe is another good one to watch the videos of. (LSV and MArshall are the hosts of Limited Resources).

Numotthenummy is another good source, but I don't particularly enjoy his twitch stream.

Other than that draft as much as you can, in any format you can. That will build up a good general skill base. However each set is unique, and will require specific practice with that format to master.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
If you're in a position to, don't update Wizards Event Reporter (WER). The update gives the player with the most points the bye, and seats higher point players at the higher-numbered tables (so not closer to table 1 as they should). It also mispairs players, so you can have a six pointer playing someone with zero points.

One of the updates in the last month wiped out your local player database if you updated, but I think that's fixed now!

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

BJPaskoff posted:

One of the updates in the last month wiped out your local player database if you updated, but I think that's fixed now!

Haha this was pretty funny when it happened at my LGS

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Omni was a T1 Legacy deck you can build for under 1500. That cannot stand.

This is the main reason I will probably never play Legacy despite living in New Jersey, largest legacy environment in the United States.

Duals are ridiculously expensive and poo poo like this happens a lot from what I'm seeing.

Does anybody have a specific episode of LR that they'd recommend for basic drafting advice?

I listened to the MM2 Primer but that didn't help me a.whole lot when it came.to noticing signals or when to move into a color.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

BJPaskoff posted:

If you're in a position to, don't update Wizards Event Reporter (WER). The update gives the player with the most points the bye, and seats higher point players at the higher-numbered tables (so not closer to table 1 as they should). It also mispairs players, so you can have a six pointer playing someone with zero points.

Ugh, my store is opening up for FNM after the fire and they already did me a favor and updated WER on the new laptop :smithicide:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

This is the main reason I will probably never play Legacy despite living in New Jersey, largest legacy environment in the United States.

Duals are ridiculously expensive and poo poo like this happens a lot from what I'm seeing.

Does anybody have a specific episode of LR that they'd recommend for basic drafting advice?

I listened to the MM2 Primer but that didn't help me a.whole lot when it came.to noticing signals or when to move into a color.

Some of the best episodes of LR are probably:
Card Evaluation with Brian Wong
Brian Wong level ups
Technical Play
Common Mistakes
Role Assignment

I rather liked a recent episode on common traps.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

Honestly signalling and noticing when a colour/archetype is open (and deciding whether moving is worth it when you see it is) is the hardest thing to explain and learn about limited. It's something that you mostly get from a lot of experience.

My advice is to watch some drafts on CFB, and pause it on each pack. Note down not only what you'd pick, but what you think the best picks are in various archetypes. When you notice more than one pack has gone by lacking strong cards from a particular colour or archetype, then someone in the direction you're getting passed from is probably in that archetype. When you see cards that you think are some of the best/early picks in an archetype going late (and this is subjective!), then that archetype might be open from that direction. When you see cards you thought were strong in a particular archetype come back in the same pack ("wheel" or "table"), then that's a strong indicator that no one is in that archetype.

The easiest example of a signal is being passed a pack in the second or third pack where the person passing to you has clearly left a good rare in the pack and has taken a common or uncommon (packs have 1 rare/mythic, 3 uncommons, 9 commons, and either a 10th common or a foil). Then that person is signalling to you that they are not in the colours of that rare — and potentially not in the colours of any good uncommons either. You get less information — and thus no "signal" to read — if the foil is gone (it could have been a foil mythic!) or if they took the rare (since you have no idea what colours it could have been).

Whether it's worth moving into an archetype depends on the strength of your current pool and the "depth" (number of playable cards in the set) of the archetype you're moving into. In MM2015, for example, most colours are quite deep, so it's pretty easy to move colours around into the second pack. In Dragons-Dragons-Fate, it was a lot harder to switch archetypes, since there were fewer defined archetypes and a lot more lovely commons.

All this is further confounded by the fact that you're playing at a table with 7 other humans, who are making flawed guesses about each other just as you are. So a lot of the time you'll get cut off an archetype you thought was open, or get clear signals that turn out just to be idiots picking dumbly. That's the nature of the game, unfortunately.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I've yet to see anyone successfully use Cathodion mana in this set. It's still a 3 mana 3/3 though and I've yet to see a draft set where that's not playable.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

I've yet to see anyone successfully use Cathodion mana in this set. It's still a 3 mana 3/3 though and I've yet to see a draft set where that's not playable.

I've used it to kick a Burst Lightning. That's it really.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Omnitell needs literally no duals

gently caress you, buy Omnitell

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Entropic posted:

I used it off a bone splinters to cast a second removal spell.

I was playing them as 3/3s for 3 though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why Cathodion and not Sickleslicer main deck?

Cathodion will likely die at a point where you can't meaningfully spend the mana and Sickleslicer leaves behind a metalcraft, affinity enabling equipment that you can stick on a faerie mechanist in the late game.

Cathodion is a 3 mana 3/3 that you can always cast, card is good.

Sickleslicer is also good and I might want to add it to this deck, but like Big Ol Marsh Pussy was saying this deck is absurd and I don't know what I'd cut.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want to see someone sac two Cathodions off an Annihilator trigger to get enough mana to Comet Storm the Eldrazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Omnitell needs literally no duals

gently caress you, buy Omnitell

I bought Omnitell and practically no one in my country plays legacy.

Now modern, that's a different story. I need to work out what modern deck I should trade into... (Probably something with hierarchs in it, because I have already have a playset of those), maybe infect? I don't know :confused:

• Locked thread