Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

that's because i've never played pret-a-porter or lords of xidit and don't give a gently caress in hell about them but tragedy looper's good and innovative and seeing people write it off because it gives them flashbacks to the uguu wars is loving stupid

Well, that was part of his point - by all the accounts I've seen, Pret-a-Porter was a good innovative game that didn't get much exposure because people were turned off by the theme. I'm one of the people who didn't give it a second look because of the theme. I did get the group to play Ladies and Gentlemen, which I guess has some stuff in common, but L&G is intended to be goofy and that really shifts the dynamic. I don't think I could sell a straight-up fashion game to any group I play with, even if it was quite good.

As a game consumer, again, you don't personally have to care about the theme in order for theme to be a problem. I bought and played Tragedy Looper (and Krosmaster, and other pretty nerdy games) - but I got less utility out of them because their themes turned potential players off. Even in my fairly nerdy core group there were people who wouldn't play Tragedy Looper (and probably wouldn't play Argent either). Last time I mentioned this it was suggested (I think unironically) that I should get new friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Zark the Damned posted:

It could be worse...

(OK I know it's not Harem, I suspect that one may be NSFW)

I think that's Great Hall.

what is this and why, anyway? I thought Tanto Cuore had the market cornered on bizarre Japanese versions of Dominion.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I think that's Great Hall.

what is this and why, anyway? I thought Tanto Cuore had the market cornered on bizarre Japanese versions of Dominion.

There are a bunch of licensed anime clones of Dominion oddly enough. There's one with Etrian Odyssey characters, another one with Nippon Ichi characters, another with Touhou characters, etc. This particular one is Nitroplus.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I'm looking for a good 2 player card game that is not Jaipur, Star Realms, Dominion, Splendor, Imperial Settlers, Race for the Galaxy, or San Juan. I've played and enjoyed the above except for Imperial Settlers.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 4, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anime is simply another example of more white people in games. Just sayin'

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Broken Loose posted:

YES. Here's a slightly but really not at all controversial claim: Warhammer 40,000 has no theme. It's just every single fiction trope thrown into a blender. It's Star Trek, Star Wars, the Silmarillion, Alien, Aliens, Terminator, Predator, Mad Max, Starship Troopers, King Arthur, goddamn literally Rambo, some 40-year-old British dude's idea of "Japanime" robots, Dungeon & Dragons, Dracula, Zombies, Norse legends, Jesus Christ and a great deal of the rest of the Bible, Lensman, Wolverine, Wolfman, Monty loving Python, zombies, the Matrix, and drat near every single other fiction property combined in a single setting with no regard for executing it well or actually advancing the storyline other than "everything exists and it sucks."

Even worse? Like 0.001% of 40k lore and fiction is actually good*, but unlike every single other property that has huge chunks of poo poo in it, people just go "ahh 40k's cool" without any sense of irony. No Star Wars fan in their right mind would say, "Star Wars is great and I love it," no, they'd work their way around the prequels and Ewoks and Ziro the Hutt and whatever EU books they hate. I don't say, "I love Star Trek;" I say, "I love Deep Space 9 and most of TNG," because I am very well aware that there's 7 loving seasons of Janeway, 4 seasons of Enterprise, and 7 terrible movies out of a total of 12. I very much don't like the majority of Star Trek. 40k is 99.999% poo poo. Most of it is Grey Knights bathing in period blood because it's "pure," Blood Angels fistbumping Necrons, a decade's worth of writing about an entire species dedicated to rape, Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau, Marneus Calgar being a Mary Sue, 4chan memes, and multilasermultilasermultilaser.

If a cook made a dish using every ingredient in the kitchen, you cannot say that the meal is good because he used your favorite ingredient. Even worse, it's disingenuous to claim that there are good parts you can lick off because half the thing is spoiled, diseased, and burned and seriously what is wrong with you people? It's a bad setting, it's written poorly, the vast and overwhelming majority of the lore is awful, there is no writer interest in advancing the plot in a meaningful way, and nothing about it holds any entertainment value other than trying to enjoy it ironically. I love Super Robot anime, and I'm well aware there is a difference between something that is good and something that is Awesome. Overuse of skulls and purity seals is not awesome.

*It bears restating-- due to the grapeshot nature of 40k fiction (that there's a near-infinite amount of it and a tiny fraction of it is good), yes, that means there's probably enough good stuff to fill, like, 1 book. Read The Fall of Malvolion, a short story by Dan Abnett. It's not perfect but it's pretty drat good.

You sound stressed. How about a relaxing game of Relic?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

First Time Caller posted:

I'm looking for a good 2 player card game that is not Jaipur, Star Realms, Dominion, Splendor, Imperial Settlers, Race for the Galaxy, or San Juan. I've played and enjoyed the above except for Imperial Settlers.

Twilight Struggle. It has cards and it's two player and it has a minimum of anime.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Tash Kalar maybe, even though it's not purely cards, the cards are the main thing you do.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Trasson posted:

Twilight Struggle. It has cards and it's two player and it has a minimum of anime.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Zark the Damned posted:

It could be worse...

(OK I know it's not Harem, I suspect that one may be NSFW)

Its called Mascot Girl, so they renamed whatever the original was. (+1 draw, +1 action, +1 VP). Action / Province

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Its called Mascot Girl, so they renamed whatever the original was. (+1 draw, +1 action, +1 VP). Action / Province

In the true nerd edition that card is called "Huge Tracts of Land".

Badgers Nadgers
Aug 7, 2006

Single Tight Female posted:

I don't think this has been posted before so UK goons: Amazon.co.uk is running a "Spend £20 and get £5 off" on board games sale through the rest of the month. (link)
Thanks for posting about this. Yeah, there is a load of crap, but the code is definitely not single use. Managed to pick up the Eclipse expansion and Camel Up (for the kids, honest) in two separate orders using the code for both.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Morels is excellent for a quiet game.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

jmzero posted:

In the true nerd edition that card is called "Huge Tracts of Land".

Haha.

Mascot Girl did nothing wrong

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Dead Man's Draw is pretty fun with 2. So is Hanabi.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

MonkeyMaker posted:

Morels is excellent for a quiet game.

Morels (or Fungi) is good, but it's quite a hassle to move the cards around all the time, we usually go for Jaipur instead.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

jmzero posted:

Well, that was part of his point - by all the accounts I've seen, Pret-a-Porter was a good innovative game that didn't get much exposure because people were turned off by the theme. I'm one of the people who didn't give it a second look because of the theme. I did get the group to play Ladies and Gentlemen, which I guess has some stuff in common, but L&G is intended to be goofy and that really shifts the dynamic. I don't think I could sell a straight-up fashion game to any group I play with, even if it was quite good.

Oh, I saw Ladies and Gentlemen in the store the other day, and the concept sounds intriguing - how is it? The dynamic between the Ladies and the Gentlemen sounds fun.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tevery Best posted:

gently caress you, I hate you.

Rude as gently caress m8

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

signalnoise posted:

OK, someone give me quick rundowns of how Elysium, Argent, Shogun, and Evolution are played

e: The best for Argent is Gutter Owl's recent post here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687728&userid=168573&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post445492419

Evolution is a mainly card-based game where each player develops and grows different species. In the course of the game you'll increase size, population, and add (or remove) biological traits such as "Herd Instinct" which helps defend against predators, "Long Neck" which lets you feed first before others have a chance, and so on - all with the goal of out-competing the other players' species. When the cards are gone the game wraps up. Doing well depends on not just efficiently playing your own stuff but also focusing on things that out-compete your neighbors or do an end-run around their species.

As the game progresses what works in the early game tends to gear shift, because food becomes more scarce. Judging when to make a shift and when to double-down on your existing stuff is key to doing well.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I like anime.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Bubble-T posted:

Forbidden Stars (Warhammer 40K game) rules are up. Looks both less interesting and less elegant (lol) than Chaos in the Old World, probably a pass for me.

edit: lol each combat plays out up to 3 times and only involves two players, that's going to be fun in 3+ games :geno:

This sounds great

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Oh, I saw Ladies and Gentlemen in the store the other day, and the concept sounds intriguing - how is it? The dynamic between the Ladies and the Gentlemen sounds fun.

We laughed a lot while yelling at our husbands and what not, but we only played it a few times. There's not really enough game there to keep it going once you've sort of "had the experience"; both the lady and gentleman games are quite shallow. But if you're OK with a short lived game (or if you could play it twice with each of a few different groups) it could be worthwhile.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I like anime.

vlaada said it folks. anime is good

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This reminds me of all the Sentinels of the Multiverse art debates in past threads.

I think the best compromise for Tragedy Looper's art would be using cast photos from Everybody Loves Raymond. I don't think anyone would object to Ray time-traveling to stop his wife from murdering his mother.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Definitely Hanabi

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lorini posted:

Anime is simply another example of more white people in games. Just sayin'

Yeah this

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Just wait for that Angola COIN for all your minority representation needs

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I think the best compromise for Tragedy Looper's art would be using cast photos from Everybody Loves Raymond. I don't think anyone would object to Ray time-traveling to stop his wife from murdering his mother.

From what I remember of that show, I think basically everyone would object, actually.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fungah! posted:

vlaada said it folks. anime is good

We knew that, that's why Vlaada designed acclaimed anime game Final Attack.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tekopo posted:

*brings out copy of anime tragedy looper*

"What is this?! Is this...anime?! Don't you know anime killed my wife?!"

People being offended at pretty generic anime art :psyduck:

I'm not offended by Anime, it is just a genre that tends towards terrible stuff; so I have desperately low expectations as to the quality of anything Anime, games included.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Wait, do people have a problem with Argent's art style? That looks like a quality of anime art as embarassing as Tragedy Looper, but I'm only going off pics and videos I've seen though, so maybe it's better than person.

I have a problem with it. Not the hyperbolic "Anime ran over my dog" that BL is eluding to. But if Argent looked like Witches Brew I'd be far more interested in it than I am with its current art.

You are allowed to dislike the greatest game in the entire world if the art doesn't speak to you.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 4, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You know, I think a large part of the pushback is that there's a tendency to lump literally everything even remotely or tangentially related to anime into the same big tentacle-rape shitpile. And then, just treat it all as irredeemable dogshit, regardless of its merits. So, when you throw something like Looper, which itself isn't ~anime~ as much as it's "clearly japanese-style art" (and lacking in the awful tropes that got anime the bad rap in the first place), you're just adding to that giant negative feedback loop that pigeonholes a bunch of otherwise good products, and that's a tragic loop to be in.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag
I'm looking for more 2 player games for my wife and I to play which we can both enjoy. I'm have a pretty broad range of what I can enjoy (we haven't found a game yet that she likes and I dislike), so I'm looking for games that are to her taste.

Her favorite games we play head to head:
Agricola
Castles of Burgundy
Splendor

In her second tier is some deck-builders:
Star Realms
Ascension
(less so because math) Smash-Up

Games she actively dislikes:
Tash Kalar
Twilight Struggle

Her summary of her interests is that she likes shopping and dislikes having tons of complicated things to keep track of.

Any suggestions for games she might like that we could play 2 player?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

(Caylus)

Have you tried Dominion or Carcassonne?

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 4, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gingerberger posted:

If she likes deck builders than Dominion might be a good choice, that game is all "shopping".

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

gingerberger posted:

I'm looking for more 2 player games for my wife and I to play which we can both enjoy. I'm have a pretty broad range of what I can enjoy (we haven't found a game yet that she likes and I dislike), so I'm looking for games that are to her taste.

Agricola
Castles of Burgundy
Splendor

Star Realms
Ascension

Tash Kalar
Twilight Struggle

Her summary of her interests is that she likes shopping and dislikes having tons of complicated things to keep track of.

Looking at your wife's favorites she likes to build her own engine and not get into conflict. If your wife likes Agricola, you can't go wrong with all creatures big and small with the expansions. Bora bora is meaner than castle's of burgundy but is still not direct conflict oriented. If you live in Europe and can get it cheap Glen More is great. Suburbia or castles of mad king ludwig might also be great choices.

On the other side of things for lighter conflict style games like star realms your wife might like quantum but I wouldn't pay the 100 dollars it was going for a few months back on amazon. Puzzle Strike is another light quick conflict oriented deck builder that she might dig if she likes star realms.

and for the love of god ignore that bad suggestion of caylus your wife will hate the "gently caress you"ness of 2 player caylus.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

gingerberger posted:

Agricola
Castles of Burgundy
Splendor

Star Realms
Ascension

Tash Kalar
Twilight Struggle

fit those themes

Dominion
Jaipur - *my wifes fav, set collection and buying
Hanabi
Keyflower

Other games you'd probably like based on taste

Carcassonne
Sushi Go
Ticket to Ride

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 4, 2015

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

2-player Carcassonne is a bit vicious, you might have to deliberately play "nice".

Dominion, Jaipur, and Hanabi all seem like fine choices.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Badgers Nadgers posted:

Thanks for posting about this. Yeah, there is a load of crap, but the code is definitely not single use. Managed to pick up the Eclipse expansion and Camel Up (for the kids, honest) in two separate orders using the code for both.

There's no need to claim you bought Camel Cup for the kids, we've played it down the pub any number of times and my gaming group owns six or seven copies between us.

Also it's officially got to be Cup and not Up now, the expansion is called Supercup.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Toshimo posted:

You know, I think a large part of the pushback is that there's a tendency to lump literally everything even remotely or tangentially related to anime into the same big tentacle-rape shitpile. And then, just treat it all as irredeemable dogshit, regardless of its merits. So, when you throw something like Looper, which itself isn't ~anime~ as much as it's "clearly japanese-style art" (and lacking in the awful tropes that got anime the bad rap in the first place), you're just adding to that giant negative feedback loop that pigeonholes a bunch of otherwise good products, and that's a tragic loop to be in.

I don't have a problem with anime, I just want to play time cops without explaining to my friends that it has nothing to do with Yu Gi Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

rchandra posted:

2-player Carcassonne is a bit vicious, you might have to deliberately play "nice".

Dominion, Jaipur, and Hanabi all seem like fine choices.

What? She explicitly likes Agricola, are you going to say Carc is more cutthroat than Tha' Gric? This whole "the womenfolk need you to take it easy or else they'll call you a nerd and go buy shoes at the mall" poo poo is ridiculous.