Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Slavvy posted:

Maybe I don't understand how the stuff works but can't you just fill it up and seal everything then clear out the vent port afterward with a cable or something?

Yes, but I don't know exactly what shape the line from that port is, or how far it goes. Shoving twine in there it stops at some point so I think it's not just going straight into the main tank cavity, plus shining a torch down the hole I can't see any light from the fill port.

e: basically I'm worried that I might plug the port part of the way and end up with it blocked.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The caswell instructions say to poke it clean with some small wire after the sealer is partially dry, I think. The port is of such a complex shape you can't get a wire through it take it? Maybe use compressed air or something?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The caswell instructions say to poke it clean with some small wire after the sealer is partially dry, I think. The port is of such a complex shape you can't get a wire through it take it? Maybe use compressed air or something?

What about something like piano wire? It bends pretty well but is still strong enough it should be able to poke through partially dried sealant.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
A friend of mine suggested, last week, that I order some kind of endoscopy camera online, so I could see inside the tank. Wish I had done that now.

Wire or compressed air should work, I think I will do some combination of both.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Seashell Salesman posted:

A friend of mine suggested, last week, that I order some kind of endoscopy camera online, so I could see inside the tank. Wish I had done that now.

One of the mechanics I visited used something like that to get a look in my engine without stripping too much down. Pretty cool little tool.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

One of the mechanics I visited used something like that to get a look in my engine without stripping too much down. Pretty cool little tool.

They're pretty cheap now too - I've seen video-equipped ones going for £70 on sale at Maplins, was seriously tempted even though I've literally no use for it at all.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They're pretty cheap now too - I've seen video-equipped ones going for £70 on sale at Maplins, was seriously tempted even though I've literally no use for it at all.

There are USB ones on ebay for less than $20. I wish I had more holes to probe.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Chichevache posted:

I think I need one to check wiring and hose clearances under my frame while it's all buttoned up. There is a hot mess of doodads on the 08 Uly that weren't on the 06.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

I think I need one to check wiring and hose clearances under my frame while it's all buttoned up. There is a hot mess of doodads on the 08 Uly that weren't on the 06.

Hobo Freight has them for about $70 with their regular 20% off coupon. They are handy. I did a little laparoscopic surgery on my fuel tank to get a stopper ring out. if you have a friend who bought it instead though, its even better =P

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lidl and Aldi have them regularly for about 70€/50 quid

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Ok so I just couldn't bring myself to pour any epoxy into the tank until I figured out where the gently caress that vent port led. I grabbed some insulated copper wire, lubed it up with Vaseline, and shoved it down the vent port...

...until I finally realized where it was going.

So, after all that there was never any risk to my vent port (aside from the risk that some maniac might shove a piece of wire down it too vigorously and break it!).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah cause that isn't a vent, it's a drain to stop water pooling around the fuel cap.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Where is the vent anyway? The one that makes cat meow noises. Also does fuel just drain out to the ground if you spill a little around the edges while filling up?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

...until I finally realized where it was going.

THAT's where that loving tube goes? Huh. New Thing learned for today; time to coast.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

revmoo posted:

Where is the vent anyway? The one that makes cat meow noises. Also does fuel just drain out to the ground if you spill a little around the edges while filling up?

Yeah it just comes out at the bottom, the rubber tube that fits on that spout usually sticks out around the swing arm pivot region. No idea where the vent is, never owned a ninja 250. Looking at the picture I would guess that the filler cap itself is ventilated or there is a pipe underneath that feeds into the air intake.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

Yeah it just comes out at the bottom, the rubber tube that fits on that spout usually sticks out around the swing arm pivot region. No idea where the vent is, never owned a ninja 250. Looking at the picture I would guess that the filler cap itself is ventilated or there is a pipe underneath that feeds into the air intake.

I wondered what that goddamn tube was.

Now I feel dumb.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Often there's two or three; one for the fuel cap drain, one for the carburettor bowl drains (if applicable) and one as an airbox moisture drain (usually has a one-way valve or similar on the end).

Bikes are covered in small farkles and gadgety things that don't get much attention/notice because they aren't involved in making it go, stop or turn.

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding
I replaced my chain, and got a tiny crack in the edge of rivet when I was installing the masterlink. The link isn't tight, and I measured the width. Is this an issue?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Id order a new master link but I'd still ride it until I got a replacement, checking it for expansion or change before each ride.

It's probably ok if it's just a shallow crack but master links are cheap. If it goes any deeper than 50% of the way through the visible part of the rivet, just replace it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Starting to get my bike back together, finally. Engine is complete, just need to look over the carbs and replace them. Put a cheap, used, dented 4-1 system on it and put studs in place of the exhaust bolts. Do I need to loctite the studs or will they hold as well as a bolt once the nut is tight?

It really is a cheap system, complete pot metal. The plates bend easily when you tighten the nuts. Oh well, I'll be happy enough to have a working bike again!

e: The engine has been sitting for a really long time. I did coat the cylinders with oil before I put the head on, but should I squirt some oil in before starting it? Figuring it doesn't hurt to help lube it and it will help compression as well.

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 5, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ola posted:

Starting to get my bike back together, finally. Engine is complete, just need to look over the carbs and replace them. Put a cheap, used, dented 4-1 system on it and put studs in place of the exhaust bolts. Do I need to loctite the studs or will they hold as well as a bolt once the nut is tight?

It really is a cheap system, complete pot metal. The plates bend easily when you tighten the nuts. Oh well, I'll be happy enough to have a working bike again!

e: The engine has been sitting for a really long time. I did coat the cylinders with oil before I put the head on, but should I squirt some oil in before starting it? Figuring it doesn't hurt to help lube it and it will help compression as well.

If you tighten the studs in the holes before putting the manifold and nuts on, they'll be fine. I'd suggest using copper grease on the nuts, otherwise the next time you take the system apart the studs will just come out with the nuts stuck in place.

I'd squirt some oil in the bores, then crank it a few times with the ignition leads disconnected just to make sure everything is kosher.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

In general is there anything I should be putting on bolts I take off my bike before I put them back on? Is it just a case by case thing for which bolts need anything, and what they need?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

In general is there anything I should be putting on bolts I take off my bike before I put them back on? Is it just a case by case thing for which bolts need anything, and what they need?

It's a case by case thing, unless you own a single, in which case you blue loctite everything.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

It's a case by case thing, unless you own a single, in which case you blue loctite everything.

or a Ducati. :suicide:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

or a Ducati. :suicide:

Dry clutch ain't the only thing rattlin'.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

If you tighten the studs in the holes before putting the manifold and nuts on, they'll be fine.

Thanks. My studs aren't quite long enough, so I have had to seat them quite shallow. Will definitely put grease on, but the studs also have a sunk hex head at the end so you can hold it still while loosening the nut.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ola posted:

Thanks. My studs aren't quite long enough, so I have had to seat them quite shallow. Will definitely put grease on, but the studs also have a sunk hex head at the end so you can hold it still while loosening the nut.

That's a plus, most have an e-torx head that obligingly shears off at the slightest hint of a spanner. I wonder if they're actually really long grub screws? Do they have a shankin the middle that has no thread?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

That's a plus, most have an e-torx head that obligingly shears off at the slightest hint of a spanner. I wonder if they're actually really long grub screws? Do they have a shankin the middle that has no thread?

No, although that's what I was looking for frist. It's these: http://m.ebay.com/itm/331119403958

Very high quality material, but odd (literally) that's there's seven in the package. Thankfully one of my eight holes was beyond salvage so that's exactly what I needed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Two electrical questions, both in the "hold my beer" category.

1. My battery is long dead at 8.5 volts so it probably won't crank the bike. I do however have access to a (cheap Chinese) portable jump starter. Can I hook it up to the battery leads without the battery present and expect the bike to crank as normal? Or should I have the battery there anyway? Just need to start it, just want to see if it spins and builds oil pressure ok before I spend more money on it.
2. Don't have access to a proper compressor anymore, just my tiny 12 volt one. I also have a simple battery charger, just a plug and two leads. Can I hook the charger up to the compressor and expect useful results? Wish it could take 230v as well, I really don't have room or use for a regular massive one.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

While sitting in traffic on my Ninjette, I noticed my headlight noticeably dims when one of my turn signals comes on. With each blink.

That's... probably not normal, is it. :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

While sitting in traffic on my Ninjette, I noticed my headlight noticeably dims when one of my turn signals comes on. With each blink.

That's... probably not normal, is it. :(

Battery getting old.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I'm putting a new cam chain and tensioner in a 1997 Suzuki Savage 650 that was gifted to me from a storage unit.

I have a new tensioner, and this or this look like the right cam chain.

But when I look to buy a new gasket, there seem to be multiple models, and I don't know which is correct.

This seems to list four different complete gasket sets and four different clutch cover gaskets:
http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d32f52f8700232d0b3d7d4/gasket-set

While this lists only one of each:
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1997-suzuki-savage-650-ls650p/o/m147792#sch244393

How do I figure out which gasket is correct?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

RadioPassive posted:

This seems to list four different complete gasket sets and four different clutch cover gaskets:
http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d32f52f8700232d0b3d7d4/gasket-set

Looks like there used to be differences but there's now only one set. Note the line struck over the old part number and the new part numbers matching up. Any of the four will be the same set. Doesn't hurt to send them an email to be sure of course.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ola posted:

Can I hook it up to the battery leads without the battery present and expect the bike to crank as normal?
I wouldn't do that.

quote:

Can I hook the charger up to the compressor and expect useful results?
I wouldn't do that either. The reason is that those jumper things -- unless I'm wrong about the type of jumper you have -- are designed to work attached to a battery and they put out way more voltage than a normal system is expecting. There's a good chance you'd blow out some electronics in whatever you hook them up to, assuming it's got some electronics in it. Even using a jumper on a bike with a battery, sometimes it screws up modern EFI computers and they won't start properly because of the abnormal voltage.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Alright. I'll try it with the bad battery hooked up. No EFI to worry about, but the ignition module could theoretically get fried.

The Chinese start booster actually had a compressor in it as well! So no need to hotwire my own 12v compressor.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ola posted:

Battery getting old.
It's about a year and a half old. I've only killed it once, from letting the bike sit for a few weeks in the winter. Is that all it takes to wreck a battery?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Depends on the brand, some are shittier than others.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

250s have pretty wimpy batteries, but as I recall mine dimmed slightly when at idle with the turn signals coming on. Check the battery with a multimeter, it's probably fine, especially if it's cranking over normally. At idle most bikes draw power from the battery cause their charging systems only really work over 4k or so.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

It's about a year and a half old. I've only killed it once, from letting the bike sit for a few weeks in the winter. Is that all it takes to wreck a battery?

I read it as if it had recently started dimming on each blink, but if you've only just noticed it might have been like that all the time. I have a 14 Ah battery, it does not dim when I blink unless the battery is in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Replaced the rear brake light. Looks like both filaments are on, and tapping the brakes doesn't do jack poo poo. Did I gently caress it up?