Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Boy Batman is lucky Alfred temporarily died from his heart stopping and not from being crushed to a pulp by all that rubble or shattering his spine from falling down multiple feet onto hard rock.

Also that thug he left just siting in a pool of fire is perfectly fine, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The propane tank challenge pissed me off. Much like #4 (the 4 different take downs) it screams "You're meant to pick this up in NG+" which doesn't seem fair to me. I don't mind a challenge system for trophies and stuff and maybe some of the more broken upgrades, but the rest should be left alone. Especially if the challenges are gonna be BS. I like the little moment with Branden, but I wish the dialogue speed had been paced properly. He's still talking as Batman's fist is in his jaw which doesn't quite work. I really dislike the reverse ledge takedown. It may look cool, but the detection is off and that's not an indictment of Origins, because I was playing City yesterday to the same effect. I might be wrong, but it looked like you were trying to go for it at around 16:15 and when it didn't come up you went for the drop attack.

The fight with Firefly LOOKS really nice and it's dynamic and there's a fair bit going on, but playing it was very tedious to me. Much like the fight with Deathstroke, after a point I just kinda felt like "Okay, I got it. Can we wrap this up?" That's why the fight with Mr. Freeze in City was so great to me. The fight is never the same in two runs of the game and the way everyone tackles it could be different to an extent. Plus it's one of the few boss fights in the series where I felt like I was against an actual threat who could wreck me. For the most part, Batman is the best guy in the room. As mentioned before, the subtitle switch from Batman to Bruce Wayne is an amazing touch.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

You know, Alfred really needs a raise codename if Batman is going to talk to him constantly in front of goons and enemies. I mean drat, Bane foun out who Batman is easy enough, it's not that hard for anyon with access to databases--like a cop or reporter--to go down a list of Alfreds and figure out who's who.

Oh wait, comic books.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Wedemeyer posted:

Oh wait, comic books.

Actually, he's Penny One now.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Speaking of the propane tank challenge I was impressed with scruffy's ability to get it done at all in that section with the bare minimum number of dudes around. The propane tank hit/KO detection is finnicky at best.

I did that challenge during the big fight right outside of blackgate, which we'll probably see next vid, and it was easy peasy due to the large number of clustered thugs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mr Phillby posted:

I know it's a comic book videogame and all, but Batman electro-punching his butler back to life just seemed comically absurd.

THE BEST WRITING IN THE SERIES!

I think this, following City, has convinced me not to touch Arkham Knight. Asylum was a fun, self-contained story about crazy growth serums that had no business being developed by a psychotherapist and an insane clown, but City was too ridiculous to accept and this one is even worse.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly not sure what to say to you if you play Batman games for the story. I mean, yes, it's stupid, but that's basically being true to the the source material.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I know, it's more that at a certain point, it gets too dumb to keep going for the fun combat and stuff, you know?

There's fun dumb and then there's 'oh god will the Joker just get the hell off the stage and why is this so boring' dumb.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 4, 2015

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I know, it's more that at a certain point, it gets too dumb to keep going for the fun combat and stuff, you know?

This is why they should make an Adam West version of the game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

inflatablefish posted:

This is why they should make an Adam West version of the game.

I would be down as hell. Adam West Batman was great.

I mean there was an episode where the Joker made vending machines spit out free money and candy, and Batman had to explain to the kids why this was actually a sinister plot to make them sympathize with communism. :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Night10194 posted:

There's fun dumb and then there's 'oh god will the Joker just get the hell off the stage and why is this so boring' dumb.

This is why Im a bit more than willing to accept Knight.
Then again the Knight themself is leaving me a bit so-and-so about it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Night10194 posted:

I would be down as hell. Adam West Batman was great.

I mean there was an episode where the Joker made vending machines spit out free money and candy, and Batman had to explain to the kids why this was actually a sinister plot to make them sympathize with communism. :allears:

There's another bit where Batman and Robin are speeding through the city streets and a woman yells at them to drive more carefully. Then the traffic cop walks over and dresses her down and explains that Batman and Robin had their siren on so they're obviously on the way to a crime scene. But if it weren't the case then Batman would have obeyed all the rules of the road because road safety is everyone's concern.

And then everyone else waiting at the light starts applauding the police officer.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

paragon1 posted:

Boy Batman is lucky Alfred temporarily died from his heart stopping and not from being crushed to a pulp by all that rubble or shattering his spine from falling down multiple feet onto hard rock.

Also that thug he left just siting in a pool of fire is perfectly fine, I'm sure.

Yeah, it looked like he was buried under bits of the Batmobile, too.

Kurieg posted:

There's another bit where Batman and Robin are speeding through the city streets and a woman yells at them to drive more carefully. Then the traffic cop walks over and dresses her down and explains that Batman and Robin had their siren on so they're obviously on the way to a crime scene. But if it weren't the case then Batman would have obeyed all the rules of the road because road safety is everyone's concern.

And then everyone else waiting at the light starts applauding the police officer.

Night10194 posted:

Why haven't I watched this show yet?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why haven't I watched this show yet?

Because it's 60's as hell and also has an infantilising view of women.

I mean the time when Dick failed to go undercover with a greaser gang because he didn't know how to smoke a cigarette and Batman applauded him was hilarious. But the episode where batman patted a woman on the head and told her that it wasn't her fault her weak womenly will was overcome by a strong evil man and that she should be safe on her cousin's ranch in Australia was downright frightening.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I miss the Grey Ghost...

Doctor Chef
Nov 3, 2005
"Clothes Pigs?"
For a good while when playing this game and fighting all the bosses that were basically just reskinned versions of City's (like Copperhead being a rehash of the Ra's fight and the Drug Stash thing) they go and cement this feeling of how totally lazy this game was made with the final leg of the Firefly fight. They clearly just scaled up the model for the bridge for it but didn't bother to resize the cars so that it was proportional to Batman:

Like, god drat. I think I finally deleted the game after getting frustrated with the challenges and the post-game content.

Kurieg posted:

But the episode where batman patted a woman on the head and told her that it wasn't her fault her weak womenly will was overcome by a strong evil man and that she should be safe on her cousin's ranch in Australia was downright frightening.

Nothing on that show was ever meant to be taken seriously. In the 60s movie's commentary Adam West mentions a lot of the writers on the show knew what they were making was ridiculous and tried to see how far they could get away with it. A lot of it was meant to be either satirical or heavily absurdist.

v Ha!

Doctor Chef fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 4, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Maybe that's just Bane's car? :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I know I'm way behind, but I've been at a conference for a week. I'll be back in town this weekend and will catch up as quickly as possible. You guys have been missing my editorial voice, but I should have something even better prepared for you shortly.

Also, how much better would the firefly bossfight have been as a stealth fight?!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Discendo Vox posted:

I know I'm way behind, but I've been at a conference for a week. I'll be back in town this weekend and will catch up as quickly as possible. You guys have been missing my editorial voice, but I should have something even better prepared for you shortly.

Also, how much better would the firefly bossfight have been as a stealth fight?!

Be interesting to see them try that with an enemy that can fly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TUi-g7ZY-0

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

I think I like Hobgoblin2099's idea best of an a significantly more aerial boss fight for firefly as an alternative to what we had. Unfortunately you can't throw batarangs mid-flight in this series yet or any other gadgets for the matter so it'd be tricky to do with the existing mechanics without it leaning too hard on QTEs. Maybe numerous tricky grapples on firefly with emphasis on timing your grapnel accelerator correctly?

Either way, gliding is the one of the major core mechanics of the series that some people get really good at that hasn't been well-utilized for combat encounters/bosses. The Ras trials in city tried running you through an obstacle course but that's certainly no aerial battle, while the tyger helos during City's last sequence was really just incentive for Bats to flank his targets.

e: To explain myself further, predator bosses like freeze were fun because there's a ton of takedown types batman can perform to remain on the offensive while being on the defensive. You spend most of the game learning the context sensative ones so in a way those bosses test your ability to find & use special takedowns while remaining in stealth. In much the same way combat bosses test your ability to strike/counter/etc or handle group situations against numerous foes, other core mechanics of the series. Maybe a stealth aerial fight could work but I need more selling on the idea. How did you imagine one playing out?

hard counter fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 5, 2015

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I honestly dont think Bane cares that Batman is Wayne, he just wants to break the bat!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
And this is the point I stopped playing the game.

Not because I didn't want to play anymore, but because I'm 1/3 for completing the Arkham games when I just so happen to stop near the endgame and don't pick it up again for so long that I can't play it properly anymore and get my arse handed to me in encounters that should be simple.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Getting close to the end now folks.

A Prison Break...In?/Polsy

New character profile: Harleen Quinzel

Combat Challenge: Death Sentence/Polsy with Gotham By Gaslight Batman

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Nice job on the last video, Scruffy. Looking forward to the final fight and your roundup videos- you'll need to do Enigma, Cyrus Pinkney, the last Most Wanted case, and two or three detective cases if I remember correctly. The last detective case is my favorite moment in the game- you'll see why.

I remember we meet Croc one more time in the game, though I could be wrong. The final fights are very well-done, my favorite of the Arkham series so far, though something Arkham Knight will probably top. City topped Asylum and this topped City after all.

The Batman 60s series was good for me too, except for the chauvinist writing. Google Nora Clavicle for the worst example- she was a villain who took over the PD from Gordon and made it all female- and not competent female either. They had a dispatcher broadcasting a fashion sale over the police band and saying it was more important than a crime wave- I kid you not! Batgirl was on the show by this point so you would think they'd be more about female empowerment. But no! Batman foiled Nora of course, she was planning a heist and using her job as cover, but you could cut the anti-feminist subtext with a knife. Adam West will forever be an iconic Batman, but I like to think that show prepared him for his current role in Family Guy with all its similar "jokes".

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 5, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
In the challenge video, what happened to that goon at ~3:29??

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
~Magic~

Seriously though, looks like he got hit by the big dudes hitbox on like one of the last active frames.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

"Now I know I was saying I wanted batman dead before, but Now I want him alive. I'm not saying I'm capricious or anything but I've had a change of heart."
(20 seconds later)
"KILL THE BATMAN OR I'LL KILL YOU!"

I hate how lazy the glue grenades are. I'm not sure what adhesive would expand into a huge floating porous mass upon contact with water, but turn into a viscous film otherwise... but I'm pretty sure it would also be an extremely poor conductor of electricity so batman would probably be fine using it on that electrified water.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Joker came over the PA and said he wanted Batman delivered alive. Then when you hit the predator room he says "Kill Batman or I'll kill you." Did I miss something in between or is that as stupid as I think? The end game was kinda up and down to me. There are parts of it that I felt worked and parts of it where I was left saying "Is that it?" or "Is that really what they're gonna do?"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kurieg posted:

"Now I know I was saying I wanted batman dead before, but Now I want him alive. I'm not saying I'm capricious or anything but I've had a change of heart."
(20 seconds later)
"KILL THE BATMAN OR I'LL KILL YOU!"

I hate how lazy the glue grenades are. I'm not sure what adhesive would expand into a huge floating porous mass upon contact with water, but turn into a viscous film otherwise... but I'm pretty sure it would also be an extremely poor conductor of electricity so batman would probably be fine using it on that electrified water.

Well it's more resin than plain adhesive.
And some resins do react wonderfully with water.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

Joker came over the PA and said he wanted Batman delivered alive. Then when you hit the predator room he says "Kill Batman or I'll kill you." Did I miss something in between or is that as stupid as I think? The end game was kinda up and down to me. There are parts of it that I felt worked and parts of it where I was left saying "Is that it?" or "Is that really what they're gonna do?"

No, see, it's because the Joker's totally crazy, right? It isn't sloppy writing or anything, honest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's definitely sloppy writing. But to be fair, does Joker need a reason to threaten his henchmen's lives?

Also, I wish that thug dialogue about drunk driving had played out.

Criminal A: Oh man, I can't wait. I'm going straight to O'Kane's, havin' a pint.
Criminal B: What's it been for you man, eight years?
Criminal A: Twelve.
Criminal B: And what they put you in for?
Criminal A: Drinkin' and drivin'.
Criminal C: Ha, an' you're gonna go have a pint?
Criminal A: What are you, the drat parole board? I ain't rehabilitated, and I'm really thirsty.
Criminal C: Whatever, just don't drive. You could kill someone.
Criminal A: Yeah yeah, don't worry. What are you in for, anyway?
Criminal C: Manslaughter.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 5, 2015

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's definitely sloppy writing. But to be fair, does Joker need a reason to threaten his henchmen's lives?

True, but they could have at least thrown in some sort of reason rather than just have him switch scripts. "Hey Bats, it's contest time! I told half the thugs in this place that I'd kill 'em unless they caught you alive. And I told the other half they were dead unless they kill you! Who do you think's gonna win?"

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Or hey, just have his line the exact same, and one of the goons in the predator room respond "But... you just said... my head hurts," or something like that.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:psyduck: Scruffy, that was most definitely not a carol the Joker was singing.

Perhaps it's because I'm only observing instead of actually playing the game, but this honestly hasn't been that bad. A little unpolished and buggy, but still a decent enough experience on its own rights. And while the Firefly fight was rather like Poison Ivy's original appearance, I have to agree that it works much better here. Style counts, and being a repeat of something doesn't automatically mean it's bad.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Joker does have a "Jingle Bells, Batman smells" carol during that predator map, though, if you let him talk long enough.

Which, no offense to Troy Baker's performance, is not something I'm keen on. Joker just really annoys me in this game for some reason.

And Origins isn't really that bad, per se. It's just that if you hit a lot of glitches or go into it expecting a fresh story, you'll end up disappointed and possibly frustrated.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well it's more resin than plain adhesive.
And some resins do react wonderfully with water.
Mind you, the real reason is that they are literally the freeze grenades from AC.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

anilEhilated posted:

Mind you, the real reason is that they are literally the freeze grenades from AC.

I was playing Bat's advocate for a bit.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Not related to Batman but I'm testing capture with my new Elgato with GOD HAND.

http://www.twitch.tv/dscruffy1

Being good at Batman is nothing like being good at God Hand.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

dscruffy1 posted:

Not related to Batman but I'm testing capture with my new Elgato with GOD HAND.

http://www.twitch.tv/dscruffy1

Being good at Batman is nothing like being good at God Hand.

Hahaha, I love the crossovers we're getting from this thread, the God Hand one and LazyFire's Shadow of Mordor.

I also tried to fire up Godhand after watching mkob, and welp... it didn't go well. It actually went better than I was expecting, but still utter shite.

• Locked thread