Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bel Shazar posted:

So... Egypt should not be in a position to demand antiquities looted in the 1800s back from other nations?
They are in that position, and they have.

Though I think the Museums in London, Paris, Berlin, etc. probably aren't very keen to send antiquities back to the Middle East currently.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

They are, and they have.

Yes, though it seems that Baudolino believes they should not be able to do so, as that happened in the past and time has healed that wound.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Cat Mattress posted:

They are in that position, and they have.

Though I think the Museums in London, Paris, Berlin, etc. probably aren't very keen to send antiquities back to the Middle East currently.

Well they don't want to give them back to Greece either, so it's not entirely about how safe people think they will be.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

The amount of tears over this is amazing.

So amazing how the first reaction is it's antisemitism. It was kind of a weird statement to make, though. "Hey Arabs, we'd really stop doing business with Israel if we could, but you know, lawsuits." It is the fist example of a large company adding a bit of support to the BDS movement, though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Disinterested posted:

Well they don't want to give them back to Greece either, so it's not entirely about how safe people think they will be.

You know Greece would just immediately auction them off for cash instead of putting them in museums. :v:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cat Mattress posted:

You know Greece would just immediately auction them off for cash instead of putting them in museums. :v:

That's actually a brilliant way to solve the Greek solvency crisis: demand that every museum holding Greek artifacts pay either a bulk or rental fee!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's actually a brilliant way to solve the Greek solvency crisis: demand that every museum holding Greek artifacts pay either a bulk or rental fee!

I think my government would rather auction Greece back to the Turks than pay to be honest

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-06-04/israelis-and-saudis-reveal-secret-talks-to-thwart-iran

quote:

Since the beginning of 2014, representatives from Israel and Saudi Arabia have had five secret meetings to discuss a common foe, Iran. On Thursday, the two countries came out of the closet by revealing this covert diplomacy at the Council on Foreign Relations in Washington.

Spoiler: most Sunni countries have varying levels of support for Israel, tacit or not.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Jong Il posted:

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-06-04/israelis-and-saudis-reveal-secret-talks-to-thwart-iran

Spoiler: most Sunni countries have varying levels of support for Israel, tacit or not.

Most Palestinians are Sunni, though, right?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

essentially all of them, except the Christians.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Most Palestinians are Sunni, though, right?

The PA is among the more complicit governments with Israel.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Jong Il posted:

The PA is among the more complicit governments with Israel.

Hamas is also a Sunni movement, though.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Hamas is an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood- a powerful democratically inclined and specifically anti-autocratic Sunni movement. It is no wonder that the autocrats and kings of the Sunni Middle East are eager to work with Israel in order to defang their political foes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So...a pro-isis group launched rocket attacks against Israel in the hopes of hurting Israel and getting them to attack Hamas. Israel decided to attack Hamas anyways instead of the pro-isis group. The logic is so...I think, I think this is what finally broke me down to tears about I/P. I now don't see any hopes in my lifetime for any sort of peaceful reconciliation.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Miltank posted:

Hamas is an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood- a powerful democratically inclined and specifically anti-autocratic Sunni movement.

Yes, a "democratically inclined" and "specifically anti-autocratic" groups that also happens to be fascistic and theocratic and calls for an end to multi-party democracy. Next up, noted activists for social justice and equality: the NSDAP.

Cat Mattress posted:

Also I'm pretty sure that Israel is in favor of Daesh-linked organizations taking root in Palestine. After all, what they want the most is to keep the status quo forever, and that means never running out of pretexts to occupy and bomb Palestinians. Daesh being the greatest bugaboo in the West since the fall of the Soviet Union, equating Palestinians to them is perfect. They may also want to do with Daesh and Hamas the same play they did before with respectively, Hamas and Fatah.

Well, at least you aren't insisting that ISIS is entirely a sinister Zionist plot carried out by the Mossad. But it goes without saying that the idea that Israel is secretly backing ISIS is completely loving loony.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 5, 2015

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Xandu posted:

So amazing how the first reaction is it's antisemitism. It was kind of a weird statement to make, though. "Hey Arabs, we'd really stop doing business with Israel if we could, but you know, lawsuits." It is the fist example of a large company adding a bit of support to the BDS movement, though.

Crying antisemitism is a reflex reaction at this point. My favorite part is how we kicked it up a notch by demanding the French government condemn a private company because they chose to do something Israel doesn't like. Can't find an english source atm but ynet is reporting the guy is trying to back out of his statements which is a real shame.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

So...a pro-isis group launched rocket attacks against Israel in the hopes of hurting Israel and getting them to attack Hamas. Israel decided to attack Hamas anyways instead of the pro-isis group. The logic is so...I think, I think this is what finally broke me down to tears about I/P. I now don't see any hopes in my lifetime for any sort of peaceful reconciliation.

Israel's goal isn't to stomp out radicalism in Gaza and prevent attacks against Israel, it's to destabilize the Gazan government and destroy Hamas. ISIS groups in Gaza pose no real military threat to Israel and are much less of a diplomatic and political threat to both Israel and the PA than Hamas. Leaving radical militant groups alone in order to let them destabilize the main, more moderate militant group is a strategy that Israel isn't entirely unfamiliar with. Gaza collapsing into disorganized chaos works just fine for Israel, and if ISIS manages to take control of the chaos and rise to full control in Gaza...then it still doesn't pose any real threat to Israel.

The thing that gets me, though, is that both Israel and the Omar Brigades are saying it with a straight face and not really getting called on it. In the first place, where did the Omar Brigades even get the idea to strike against Israel to hurt Hamas? After all, it's one hell of a risk to take since they don't have any assurances that Israel won't bomb them instead, especially when they're openly stating their intention to have Israel bomb Hamas - and also declaring jihad against Israel at the same time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

The thing that gets me, though, is that both Israel and the Omar Brigades are saying it with a straight face and not really getting called on it.

Because if you call them on that, you're called an antisemitic conspiracy loony.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

The thing that gets me, though, is that both Israel and the Omar Brigades are saying it with a straight face and not really getting called on it. In the first place, where did the Omar Brigades even get the idea to strike against Israel to hurt Hamas? After all, it's one hell of a risk to take since they don't have any assurances that Israel won't bomb them instead, especially when they're openly stating their intention to have Israel bomb Hamas - and also declaring jihad against Israel at the same time.

I think they've had plenty of chances of seeing it work that way ever since Hamas first promised a ceasefire and they saw how Israel responds to it being broken by other elements.

In fact, it goes back even further than that; other people may not remember this, but if my own memory serves me correctly, the Fatah-Aligned Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades only started forming after members of Fatah became sick and tired of Israel attacking PA targets whenever a Hamas/PIJ group successfully carried out a terrorist attack.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

RandomPauI posted:

There is an agreement between Israel and Hamas that basically says that Hamas is responsible for their internal security, including various other militant factions. Whenever anyone attacks Israel from within Gaza, Israel makes sure Hamas is policing their own, which they do in exchange for the political leverage that comes with it.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Svartvit posted:

There is an agreement between Israel and Hamas that basically says that Hamas is responsible for their internal security, including various other militant factions. Whenever anyone attacks Israel from within Gaza, Israel makes sure Hamas is policing their own, which they do in exchange for the political leverage that comes with it.

Hamas has actually been historically quite good at it in peacetime moments, but the expectation that you can perfectly stop every attack is nonsensical, and there is a clear pattern of trying to use more radical groups against the dominant one - Hamas previously benefited from this.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

The Insect Court posted:

Yes, a "democratically inclined" and "specifically anti-autocratic" groups that also happens to be fascistic and theocratic and calls for an end to multi-party democracy. Next up, noted activists for social justice and equality: the NSDAP.

No, it's not like that at all.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Svartvit posted:

Openly stating that all policemen are valid targets to be killed doesn't really seem to be a very pro-policing policy though.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Disinterested posted:

Hamas has actually been historically quite good at it in peacetime moments, but the expectation that you can perfectly stop every attack is nonsensical, and there is a clear pattern of trying to use more radical groups against the dominant one - Hamas previously benefited from this.
I'm sure Israel agrees, and I suspect that they ascribe the success to the strategy that you describe, which is reasonable.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

Israel's goal isn't to stomp out radicalism in Gaza and prevent attacks against Israel, it's to destabilize the Gazan government and destroy Hamas.

Demonstrably false. If it's true that Hamas isn't monolithic and there are various factions within it, certain the true is same for Israel.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4662383,00.html
http://www.maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=765101
http://forward.com/opinion/israel/307359/a-split-in-hamas-that-might-bring-calm-but-no-peace

quote:

The Israeli-Hamas dialogue is said to be infuriating the Palestinian Authority leadership in the West Bank, which sees Israel helping to entrench Hamas in Gaza as a rival Palestinian leadership. That, in turn, angers Washington and Cairo, which want to see Mahmoud Abbas’s P.A. regain control in Gaza at some point in order to become a credible partner in a two-state peace agreement. Weekly talks in Gaza between the P.A. and Hamas appear to be going nowhere.

Accounts of the feuding between the two wings of Hamas appeared April 29 in nearly identical reports in an array of Israeli news outlets, all without attribution, typically an indication of a background press briefing from IDF military intelligence.

The reports all led with the news that the commander of the military wing, Mohammed Deif, who had been reported killed by Israel during last summer’s Gaza war, is now confirmed to be alive and fully in command of the terror group. They went on to describe Deif’s overseeing of the new tunnel excavations.

Tensions between Hamas’s political and military wings were described in most of the reports, including the centrist Walla News and Ynet , the leftist Haaretz , the right-wing NRG and the Orthodox Kikar Shabbat .

quote:

The motives of Israel’s political and military echelons appear to be somewhat at cross-purposes, though hardly matching the venom of the feuding Hamas leaders. The army sees the dialogue with Hamas as a way to prevent the outbreak of new hostilities, which appeared to be inevitable if no progress were made by summer to ease the humanitarian situation in Gaza. Moreover, there were intelligence reports that Hamas was preparing to expand its zone of confrontation with Israel from Gaza to the northern borders, where Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon and Syria are seething in the wake of the brutal ISIS assaults on the Yarmouk camp south of Damascus.

Israel’s army doesn’t have the authority to negotiate without the government’s approval for the sort of long-term agreement that Hamas reportedly seeks, but it can increase the flow of goods into Gaza to calm the waters. Since the start of 2015, according to Fishman, the number of trucks carrying material into Gaza has doubled from the 255 daily average last year to 523 per day in April. The number of entry permits into Israel has also increased, half of them for merchants seeking to market goods in Israel and the West Bank, the other half mostly civil and humanitarian.

As for the government, it’s divided between those who back the army’s goal of keeping the peace and those who’d like to retake Gaza and destroy Hamas. There’s also a division between those who want to see the P.A. restored to power in Gaza and those who prefer keeping the West Bank and Gaza feuding in order to render Palestinian statehood moot.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Came across a recent and interesting take on "Naqba Day" by Uri Avnery, the founder of Gush Shalom. It expresses the sort of nuance that the extremists on both sides refuse to acknowledge exists.

quote:

THREE WEEKS ago was Naqba Day – the day on which Palestinians inside and outside Israel commemorate their "catastrophe" - the exodus of more than half of the Palestinian people from the territories occupied by Israel in the 1948 war.
Each side has its own version of this momentous event.

According to the Arab version, the Jews came from nowhere, attacked a peace-loving people and drove them out of their country.

According to the Zionist version, the Jews had accepted the United Nations compromise plan, but the Arabs had rejected it and started a bloody war, during which they were convinced by the Arab states to leave their homes in order to return with the victorious Arab armies.
Both these versions are utter nonsense - a mixture of propaganda, legend and hidden guilt feelings.

I don't know if you really can't differentiate between a facetious off-hand remark and a sustained attempt to insist that Israel is literally the Fourth Reich and its treatment of Palestinians is exactly equivalent to what the Jews suffered under the Nazis and how Fuhrer Netanyahu is preparing to reveal to the world the gas chambers he's secretly been building to deal with the Palestinian Problem but I'm going to post this just in case you can't to help you out.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 6, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Insect Court posted:

The Insect Court posted:

I agree with you computer parts, Nazi analogies are not real attempts at argumentation

The Insect Court posted:

If your reaction to being told you can't just call the people you hate Nazis is to pitch a fit and whine that you if you can't express your beliefs in the form of Nazi analogies then you might as well not post anything then you don't have anything worthwhile to say in the first place.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
In what sense is the MB fascistic? Did I miss the part where the NSDAP provided social services to Germany's underclass for decades before ousting a dictator non-violently and fairly winning power in an election?

Miltank fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 6, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What's with Palestine's population growth rate, anyway? It's one of the largest in the Arab world, let alone anywhere else, despite the country being... well... what it is. I mean, Gaza has a higher rate than the West Bank, which doesn't seem to make sense.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

What's with Palestine's population growth rate, anyway? It's one of the largest in the Arab world, let alone anywhere else, despite the country being... well... what it is. I mean, Gaza has a higher rate than the West Bank, which doesn't seem to make sense.

Poor people/countries tend to have a higher birth rate than rich people/countries

Surprisingly enough, when theres nothing to do and no jobs, people decide to gently caress like rabbits

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It seems to be in line with the general correlation between poverty and birth rate.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Poor denographics have higher population growth rates in general, and Palestine in particular has a cultural thing about very large families. I'd argue that part of the reason is because it is what it is - when poo poo sucks that bad, what else is there to do?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
As a general rule it's much easier to achieve higher rates when you are starting from smaller numbers-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_growth_rate . Also as others mentioned there's a poverty component as well, since the relative costs of children are much different in poor vs rich countries.

Another example is the highest growth rates for GDP tend to come from countries with low GDP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_real_GDP_growth_rate

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Al-Jazeera and the guardian are being evasive about palestinian casualties sustained from this last bombing. Does anyone have any sources with anything more definite other than "reports of casualties" from gaza?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ultramega posted:

Al-Jazeera and the guardian are being evasive about palestinian casualties sustained from this last bombing. Does anyone have any sources with anything more definite other than "reports of casualties" from gaza?

Every source I've seen says no casualties, though it's not stated why - some articles claim Hamas officials all went into hiding and evacuated everything as soon as the rockets were fired for fear of Israeli retaliation, and there have been a couple scattered claims that Israel has been bombing "empty fields", although they'd never admit to that if they were.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Could it be a show of force -- lob a few shells over the wall, show you're serious without actually killing anyone? One can hope.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

It would be a positive development if Israel and Palestine conducted a virtual war of launching rockets in to empty spaces and pretending they had killed people to their native populations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
While we're waiting on updates from Gaza, Betselem have finally translated this disturbing story to English.

quote:

On 7 April 2015, during Passover holidays, a group of hundreds of settlers accompanied by Israeli security forces came to Birkat al-Karmil – a natural pool close to the village of al-Karmil, which lies in the southern Hebron Hills within Area A. In 2011, Yatta Municipality renovated the site, creating a park there and restoring an ancient pool at its center.

B'Tselem’s investigation found that at about 2:00 P.M., hundreds of settlers arrived at the pool accompanied by dozens of soldiers, Border Police, and representatives of the Civil Administration (CA). The security forces ordered the Palestinian bathers to leave the pool and remain on the edge of the park. They allowed the settlers, however, free and exclusive use of the rest of the park. At about 5:30 P.M., the settlers and the security forces left the area.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Disinterested posted:

It would be a positive development if Israel and Palestine conducted a virtual war of launching rockets in to empty spaces and pretending they had killed people to their native populations.

China and Taiwan were doing that for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/06/05/sick-beats-and-sykes-picot-a-wa-band-yemen-israel-middle-east-music/

This isn't totally related to the thread, but I thought it was an interesting article, particularly in terms of how Mizrahi are acknowledging their Arab identity.

• Locked thread