Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

More amusing than pissing me off. Someone in a town of 6000 in West Texas sends in a ticket: My internet explorer won't load! I look on Meraki, they are hitting 4.5mbps through constant streaming and Facebook. The person who sent this in has used 450mb on Facebook in the last two hours alone. I tell her that over 60% of her site's usage is being taken up by streaming and social media. She says "It's not my computer, could it be anybodys? What about cell phones?" I tell her that yes, anybodys usage impacts everyone else, and so do cell phones on WiFi. As I typed this, she responded "One guy was on Facebook, I told him to get off. Nobody should be on social media." I can't call her out directly, any suggestions for what to say to tell her I can see an individual's usage without seeming accusatory?

You could say you do have that ability, but that you haven't looked into it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
uh, guys, ICU means Intensive Care Unit.. meaning, the Emergency Room of a hospital..

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

22 Eargesplitten posted:

More amusing than pissing me off. Someone in a town of 6000 in West Texas sends in a ticket: My internet explorer won't load! I look on Meraki, they are hitting 4.5mbps through constant streaming and Facebook. The person who sent this in has used 450mb on Facebook in the last two hours alone. I tell her that over 60% of her site's usage is being taken up by streaming and social media. She says "It's not my computer, could it be anybodys? What about cell phones?" I tell her that yes, anybodys usage impacts everyone else, and so do cell phones on WiFi. As I typed this, she responded "One guy was on Facebook, I told him to get off. Nobody should be on social media." I can't call her out directly, any suggestions for what to say to tell her I can see an individual's usage without seeming accusatory?

It's Meraki so pushing all that poo poo way down the list in terms of traffic priority is literally a 5 minute job.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I can't call her out directly, any suggestions for what to say to tell her I can see an individual's usage without seeming accusatory?

"As long as it's resolved now, it's fine. Let me know if you run into issues again, I can pull up the logs and see exactly who's accessing what from which device."

e: Bonus points for "If it comes up again, we can force-block the device from the network, wait for the person to complain about lack of network connectivity, and then schedule a meeting with their supervisor." :unsmigghh:

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 4, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

A3th3r posted:

uh, guys, ICU means Intensive Care Unit.. meaning, the Emergency Room of a hospital..

Yeah but U and O are different letters.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Are you guys playing around about not knowing what ICO is? Like has irony bled out of GBS into SH/SC? It is a common way of asking for clarification on a line item and is shorthand for I can't Onderstand.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

It's Meraki so pushing all that poo poo way down the list in terms of traffic priority is literally a 5 minute job.

I'm T1, so I can look, but I can't touch. I ended up escalating it. They are probably going to be throttled down below 500kbps for social media and streaming now. My lead was not happy when I told him what I had found.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Demonachizer posted:

Are you guys playing around about not knowing what ICO is? Like has irony bled out of GBS into SH/SC? It is a common way of asking for clarification on a line item and is shorthand for I can't Onderstand.

Onderstand?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Onbelievable, isn't it?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Sickening posted:

Now is the time for move requests for cubes and offices that already have someone in them. As if IT is going to do the eviction for them or something. :laffo:

Now is the time for ridiculously heavy, look at how important I am desks to be plopped directly in front of every power outlet and network drop.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

J posted:

Now is the time for ridiculously heavy, look at how important I am desks to be plopped directly in front of every power outlet and network drop.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm going to get her the requests I could understand, and if she asks about the ICO ones I'll say "pending explanation of ICO."

Start using random definitions for ICO when she asks for clarification.

"Reorganized server room and disposed of broken/obsolete spares hardware." Zero Intra Company Orders generated.
"Purchased three Windows Server 2012 Datacenter licenses." Initial Cost of Ownership $300.00
"Redesigned core network connection to edge router." No Ice Cream Offered to network team.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

J posted:

There was some cubicles that was put together recently in an area by a 3rd party which we went cheap and didn't purchase an electrician for, so they built the cubes without power outlets inside them. When my desktop person went out to hook up computers she noted the cube power outlets didn't work. When i went to my boss to get someone back out to do things correctly he advised me to use power strips to get it done. After I advised him the cubes would have to be taken apart to get to the outlets. We went to the cube together and he flailed away at trying to reach the outlets around the cube walls built right on the wall. They sat unused for a few weeks before he caved.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Demonachizer posted:

Are you for real? I just...I can't oeven.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Potato Alley posted:

NINE POSTS UP :argh:

fakeedit: I AM VERY MAD ABOUT THIS BECAUSE ECRED FOR MAKING HTE OBVIOUS SONG-BASED JOKE WILL IMPROVE MY SELF WORTH GREATLY.

:smuggo:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

J posted:

This is how my current office is. There's ethernet cables permanently connected on one end, since getting them out of the wall is impossible. The only problem is they clips on the users ends are broken, so they come out of everyones phones. I'm always getting told "my phone dropped a call, the cable is broken" and short of cutting off the head and crimping a new one on, there's nothing I can do to help.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

I always have to take it with a grain of salt when I see "manipulated" in these threads, because I can never tell if it's "actual schmoozing" or "being social".

I had a couple lunches out with my last recruiter, both before and after he got me my current job. (Realistically, though, why would you say no to a good 'business lunch' in the Bay on the company dollar?)

Leaning in, laughing at little witticisms, touching my arm randomly.

And why would I say no? Because I've got poo poo to get done. All four days this week so far I've eaten at my desk while working on at least two keyboards like some sort of twisted tech-Mozart.

sfwarlock posted:

Pissing me off lately: We've accepted so many projects with so close a delivery date (because my boss is a spineless weasel who would rather apologize than say no) that as soon as something sort of works, I get pulled off to the next thing that we'd promised yesterday.

And then the jackoff has the nerve to smugly observe "how everything around here is half-assed." No poo poo, Sherlock.

And on that note. Four more things got dropped on me, each at least a week if Networks co-operates, all due by Friday the 12th. He told me that my problem is that I take the long way around and I am a perfectionist who can't stand things not being perfect.

And, snidely, that my "vacation is over."

edited to remove some direct quotes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

This is how my current office is. There's ethernet cables permanently connected on one end, since getting them out of the wall is impossible. The only problem is they clips on the users ends are broken, so they come out of everyones phones. I'm always getting told "my phone dropped a call, the cable is broken" and short of cutting off the head and crimping a new one on, there's nothing I can do to help.

Why not just punch it down into a jack? Even if you don't have a faceplate, it's a better option.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Isn't this a plot to a Seinfeld episode?

And you want to be my cloud salesman.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't book a meeting across my lunch hour and then not provide lunch :argh:

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

and short of cutting off the head and crimping a new one on, there's nothing I can do to help.

I love your stories, and I've never been a sysadmin, but this is a <1 minute job?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I too have worked at places that didn't believe in patch panels and poo poo. Ludicrous.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

BurgerQuest posted:

I love your stories, and I've never been a sysadmin, but this is a <1 minute job?

It's a one-minute job if you've got the tools (new head, crimper, snips) all on-hand, and do it regularly enough that you can do it right the first time. Per cable.

If you don't do it regularly, that means digging out the tools, cursing because the crimper isn't where it should be, realizing that the batch of ends was that bad batch you've been meaning to throw away, swearing, SWEARING that you'll actually throw them away and order fresh when you finish fixing this cable, getting down to the office where one of the problems is, convincing the user to give you a few minutes where they have to be off the network. Sit around bullshitting while they finish this one CRITICAL email. Get the cable into a position where you can work on it (which involves moving two dozen sticky notes and a stack of papers). Cut off the old head, strip the wires, shove them all into the new head. Realize you got the brown/white and brown reversed, try again. Line everything up, and crimp. Test. Curse because there's no signal. Test again. Realize that sometimes wrong, and you have to redo it. Redo it, and get a clean test. "Oh, while you're here, I'm having trouble printing this PDF from my kid's school. Can you help?"

And that's for one bad cable.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

BurgerQuest posted:

I spend at least that much time kicking, punching, and screaming every cable I terminate. gently caress Cat6A :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Roargasm posted:

I spend at least that much time kicking, punching, and screaming every cable I terminate. gently caress Cat6A :(

CAT6 is so much less finger-friendly than 5

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Inspector_666 posted:

Why not just punch it down into a jack? Even if you don't have a faceplate, it's a better option.

This is a good idea, I didn't really even think of this.

BurgerQuest posted:

I'm actually really good at it, I've terminated entire buildings, however at this job I'm not a network admin, and I'm not supposed to do those kinds of tasks. Also we don't have the tools for it here since we aren't a hardware shop. The other problem is that they are store bought pre-terminated stranded cables. Replacing that with a crimped on head isn't really a reliable termination, you mostly want to do that with solid strands.

Bob Morales posted:

I too have worked at places that didn't believe in patch panels and poo poo. Ludicrous.

We have a nice patch panel in the back, it's just at the users desks. The jacks are covered by their huge cubicles so I can't get to the plug ends.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Me and a co-worker are balls-deep in a router config. Fat annoying sales lady walks in. We try to ignore her. She stands there for a good five minutes. Then she announces "I don't want to interrupt your guys' thought process..." then goes into this 10 minutes schpiel about how she wants to do this or this in ACT!

Put a loving ticket in lady.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
poo poo that pisses me off:

Having an i5 slip out of my hand edge first into the socket, crushing no less than four pins irrevocably, barely five minutes after I took delivery.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Inspector_666 posted:

This is a good idea, I didn't really even think of this.

Nah, just keep doing what you're doing. I love the idea that each time it happens, their phone moves an inch farther away from them as the cable gets shorter and shorter.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My company has a large old empty facility they're planning to lease out since it's been sitting around doing nothing. Late yesterday a managing director came to me with a laundry list of "I.T. systems" he needed me to review in preparation for a new tenant.

Two ammonia-based chillers.
Four two-story tall boilers.
House-sized greensand waste water treatment plant.
Passel of wellwater pumps.
Facilities "command center."

I looked at the list like this :stare: and then asked who the tenant was.

A brewery! :aaa:

Good thing I have experience with supporting this industrial poo poo.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't mean to put this in the pissed off thread.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 5, 2015

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

It's a one-minute job if you've got the tools (new head, crimper, snips) all on-hand, and do it regularly enough that you can do it right the first time. Per cable.

If you don't do it regularly, that means digging out the tools, cursing because the crimper isn't where it should be, realizing that the batch of ends was that bad batch you've been meaning to throw away, swearing, SWEARING that you'll actually throw them away and order fresh when you finish fixing this cable, getting down to the office where one of the problems is, convincing the user to give you a few minutes where they have to be off the network. Sit around bullshitting while they finish this one CRITICAL email. Get the cable into a position where you can work on it (which involves moving two dozen sticky notes and a stack of papers). Cut off the old head, strip the wires, shove them all into the new head. Realize you got the brown/white and brown reversed, try again. Line everything up, and crimp. Test. Curse because there's no signal. Test again. Realize that sometimes wrong, and you have to redo it. Redo it, and get a clean test. "Oh, while you're here, I'm having trouble printing this PDF from my kid's school. Can you help?"

And that's for one bad cable.

This. This right here is why I don't make my own cables.

A messed up desk/cubicle situation is not my problem to work around and if a cable breaks, then welp. Time to bring in a moving company / electrician and get the job done right.

All fixing the cable does is reward decision makers for cutting corners and coming up with other harebrained ideas because they will have learned that you will catch the falling pieces for them.

gently caress that noise forever.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't book a meeting across my lunch hour

This is the correct stance. I cancel meetings booked during my lunch hour, which is plastered on my schedule.

I MIGHT reschedule my lunch if you ask me a day or so in advance. MIGHT.

In other news: Major managed VPN outage.

Indian network engineer decided to run a CPU intensive diagnostic on an ASA that was already oversubscribed terminating VPN traffic. Furthermore, the diagnostic was so intensive it slowed traffic to a crawl, but traffic was good enough to prevent failover.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Dick Trauma posted:

My company has a large old empty facility they're planning to lease out since it's been sitting around doing nothing. Late yesterday a managing director came to me with a laundry list of "I.T. systems" he needed me to review in preparation for a new tenant.

Two ammonia-based chillers.
Four two-story tall boilers.
House-sized greensand waste water treatment plant.
Passel of wellwater pumps.
Facilities "command center."

I looked at the list like this :stare: and then asked who the tenant was.

A brewery! :aaa:

Good thing I have experience with supporting this industrial poo poo.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't mean to put this in the pissed off thread.

Where are you located DT? I'm guessing this is a big name brewery that is either moving or expanding, based on this amount of equipment. Did they tell you who it was? I'm just curious. Also send me free beer, tia.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm in Los Angeles. I don't have a name for the brewery yet but I'm curious to see who they are. And to see how quickly I can pass of management of all of this stuff to their engineering staff.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

stubblyhead posted:

And you want to be my cloud salesman.

I am elatedly waiting for an Elaine appearance

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

I’m confused, are you talking about fixing cables or users? :v:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm in Los Angeles. I don't have a name for the brewery yet but I'm curious to see who they are. And to see how quickly I can pass of management of all of this stuff to their engineering staff.

I bet you its a smaller brewery that's looking for more footprint. It's an insanely hot market.

LA BREWERIES!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

ICO :ms:

Item Closed Out.

So when she said she wanted the ICO for certain items she was asking if the item was completed and would not be carried over onto the next summary. I've never heard "item closed out" used as a standard phrase before, let alone an acronym.

Wanting the information added to the summary makes sense. Being unwilling to explain her notation does not.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Agrikk posted:

This. This right here is why I don't make my own cables.

A messed up desk/cubicle situation is not my problem to work around and if a cable breaks, then welp. Time to bring in a moving company / electrician and get the job done right.

All fixing the cable does is reward decision makers for cutting corners and coming up with other harebrained ideas because they will have learned that you will catch the falling pieces for them.

gently caress that noise forever.

Seriously, this forever. Why would you have a senior system administrator make cables? It's a huge waste of time and money. I did a bunch of network for a hedge fund, and they just bought boxes of cables in every size and color, and said "We never want to see you make a cable. We don't pay you for that. If we don't have the cables you need, we will buy them in every size for you." I almost kissed the guy I was so happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Speaking of it being a waste to make cables as a Senior Sysadmin, a cable might be loose in our datacenter that's halfway across campus (about 3/4 of a mile and walking is about the best way to geth there), and there are staff that work in that data center, but it's our job to send someone over to check if the cable is loose or not.