Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yeah I just wondered if there was anything fancy I could do with it. My only real thoughts are beef vs chicken broth :eng101:

I would honestly skip the broth and just cook your beans in water with a hunk of smoked meat. Ham hocks are the most popular around here, but my favorite is smoked pork neck bones or smoked turkey thighs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Does anyone do meal planning? I need a website or something to help me get some of our meals planned for a week or two in advance, so that my wife and I get a little bit better about our food budget.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

BraveUlysses posted:

Does anyone do meal planning? I need a website or something to help me get some of our meals planned for a week or two in advance, so that my wife and I get a little bit better about our food budget.

well, here: http://lifehacker.com/five-best-meal-planning-apps-1533809184

I don't do that myself, just keep track of what I eat for dinner everyday and plan in advance (based on things I like to eat)
only an excel sheet needed for that

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is it possible to soak beans for too long? I put a pound of black beans in some water last night but forgot to take them out until just now (so they soaked for more like 18 hours instead of the recommended six to eight hours), I tasted a few and they are kind of hard and don't taste very good, almost chemically/bleachy. I put them back in a fresh pot of water with a bit of salt, is it too late to save them? Did I mess up by not rinsing them beforehand?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
If they're soaked too long, they may sprout if they weren't heated enough during drying to kill them, other than that, no problems.
But they're still gong to be hard and not nice after soaking anyway, just cook some and test them.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 2, 2015

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Soaking black beans is not necessary at all. Cook them. If they're still hard, then they may be bad or old.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

DumbparameciuM posted:

Twotimer, interested about your reasoning with using unpeeled spuds? I've done that before but the bitterness and different texture kind of turned me off. I like a light creamy mash. Does the cold start do something to soften the skins up as well? Are you cooking your potatoes for a super long time?

i boil them peeled to keep them dry. after they come out of the water, i peel while they are still hot. the skin is super easy coming off; you literally peel the skin off. then i run them through a moulie and a drum sieve, then put it in a rondeau and cook with milk and butter, constantly working it with a silicon spat.
the difference between going that route as opposed to nuking the spuds or boiling diced spuds is pretty dramatic. the mash will turn out silky with no stick, which makes it great at plateup as well.

you can then also use the skin for other things as it doesnt need to go into the bin.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cavenagh posted:

Soaking black beans is not necessary at all. Cook them. If they're still hard, then they may be bad or old.

So what's cooking them in this case, just taking dry beans and putting them in boiling water for a bit before use? Adding them dry to something you're cooking when it calls for pre-soaked (non-canned) beans?

VV Yeah I don't know what I'm really asking, reading through the recipes I have that use dry beans it sounds more like "throw them in un-soaked, take a little extra cooking time"

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 2, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

C-Euro posted:

So what's cooking them in this case, just taking dry beans and putting them in boiling water for a bit before use? Adding them dry to something you're cooking when it calls for pre-soaked (non-canned) beans?

just... cook them like you would normal beans?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
What cut of beef do you usually use for steak fajitas? In the past, I've usually used flank steak, which is as far as I know the traditional cut. However, the cost of flank has gone way up recently, and quite frankly I never liked it that much anyway - for me, it tended to remain tough even after marinade, and had little flavor of its own. This evening, I made some with flat iron steak (top blade outside of the US, I think?) marinated in orange and lime juice with lots of cumin, cayenne, and garlic, and it was both more tender and 'beefier' tasting than the flank ever was. Did I just happen to get a particular nice piece of flat iron?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

rj54x posted:

What cut of beef do you usually use for steak fajitas? In the past, I've usually used flank steak, which is as far as I know the traditional cut. However, the cost of flank has gone way up recently, and quite frankly I never liked it that much anyway - for me, it tended to remain tough even after marinade, and had little flavor of its own. This evening, I made some with flat iron steak (top blade outside of the US, I think?) marinated in orange and lime juice with lots of cumin, cayenne, and garlic, and it was both more tender and 'beefier' tasting than the flank ever was. Did I just happen to get a particular nice piece of flat iron?

Skirt steak is what's normally used, right? I think you'd need to cut flank really thin. Flat iron is just good. It usually has nice marbling if I'm not mistaken.

edit: Were you overcooking your flank? Many people I know tend to overcook fajita meat anyway, since it's cook at a high temperature and is a little thinner than steak steak. Maybe I just know weird people. :shrug:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 3, 2015

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Drifter posted:

edit: Were you overcooking your flank? Many people I know tend to overcook fajita meat anyway, since it's cook at a high temperature and is a little thinner than steak steak. Maybe I just know weird people. :shrug:

Nah, I've done it anywhere from the rare side of medium rare to medium and had generally the same experience. Personal preference but I usually prefer my steak for fajitas more medium anyway - save the rare treatment for the good cuts of beef.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

rj54x posted:

What cut of beef do you usually use for steak fajitas?
I use ribeye most of the time

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

twotimer posted:

i boil them peeled to keep them dry. after they come out of the water, i peel while they are still hot. the skin is super easy coming off; you literally peel the skin off. then i run them through a moulie and a drum sieve, then put it in a rondeau and cook with milk and butter, constantly working it with a silicon spat.
the difference between going that route as opposed to nuking the spuds or boiling diced spuds is pretty dramatic. the mash will turn out silky with no stick, which makes it great at plateup as well.

you can then also use the skin for other things as it doesnt need to go into the bin.

Gunna try this too, thanks for the advice.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I'm looking for a general substitute for milk. I don't cook much with it, and don't drink it, so my milk tends to go back after using 1/3 the bottle. I'm thinking about buying powdered milk and using that instead. Good idea or will this ruin things like sauces and baked goods? Is there something else with a longer shelf life I should consider?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

I'm looking for a general substitute for milk. I don't cook much with it, and don't drink it, so my milk tends to go back after using 1/3 the bottle. I'm thinking about buying powdered milk and using that instead. Good idea or will this ruin things like sauces and baked goods? Is there something else with a longer shelf life I should consider?

You can get small tetra packs of UHT milk. That's shelf stable and good for like 6 months.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Xenoborg posted:

Not sure if you knew this or not, but anyway here you go and hope it helps. We get the tiny bottles of milk... the pints in a bottle? I know Safeway here has them (Lucerne), and they are like 10 for a dollar. I love milk, but I can't drink it, and my husband only uses it for coffee. The little ones are perfect for our needs since they have a screw on top and they are not huge half gallons.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I generally buy heavy cream (lasts a lot longer) and adjust for milk fat with water when baking (depending on its composition), ice creaming, cooking, etc. Or I just use the cream.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xenoborg posted:

What about Water, or watered down yogurt if you eat that? If you're using regular milk it probably wouldn't make a noticeable difference to just use water for basic cooking. There are times you'd want to use cream or buttermilk and stuff, of course, but for basic things, water is probably okay.

If you want it to simulate milk more effectively, you could probably add 1/2 tbps of butter per cup of water.

I'd also suggest maybe a nut milk. Or even coconut (are coconuts nuts or are they sneaky, like peanuts?). You could also use Broth/stock.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 4, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Drifter posted:

What about Water, or watered down yogurt if you eat that? If you're using regular milk it probably wouldn't make a noticeable difference to just use water for basic cooking. There are times you'd want to use cream or buttermilk and stuff, of course, but for basic things, water is probably okay.

If you want it to simulate milk more effectively, you could probably add 1/2 tbps of butter per cup of water.

I'd also suggest maybe a nut milk. Or even coconut (are coconuts nuts or are they sneaky, like peanuts?). You could also use Broth/stock.

None of those work well for replacing milk for baking at least, UHT milk is the way to go for that in my experience.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Just use powdered milk, it will work fine for 99% of things. Just get the full fat kind.

Psychobabble fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 4, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Psychobabble posted:

Just use powdered milk, it will work fine for 99% of things. Just get the full fat kind.

This is the best idea. It fulfills my water-based desires, as well.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Psychobabble posted:

How long does the full fat powdered milk last before it goes rancid?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Freeze it, it'll last basically forever

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

I use Mealime and am pretty happy with it. I have been using it for 1-2 years now and might just keep going, despite basically achieving my goal of learning how to cook, because the interface is pretty good and sometimes the meals are amazing, which I haven't quite figured it how to replicate on a regular basis.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
On a whim today I picked up a small frenched rack of lamb. Sad to say although I've eaten it many times I've never cooked it myself. Looking for a simple grill recipe to try out with it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I've got a big bowl of fresh homegrown grapefruits. Does anyone know a good marmalade or something? I'm not eating them outright like an insane person.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Is there a good commonly available brand of chorizo that crumbles up nicely when cooked? I've tried Goya, it tastes alright but the flavor and texture isn't really what I expected.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Potential BFF posted:

Is there a good commonly available brand of chorizo that crumbles up nicely when cooked? I've tried Goya, it tastes alright but the flavor and texture isn't really what I expected.

I'm going to guess you're looking for fresh Mexican chorizo. The brand doesn't matter as much as the fact that it's fresh in a casing and not the hard Spanish kind.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

buy the cheapest, most skeevy looking fresh chorizo you can find

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The more lymph nodes the better.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I like the chorizo that comes in a clear plastic casing and costs about $0.50 at the carniceria. The cheaper, the better.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Fair enough. "Trying to find one I like" is a good excuse to eat unreasonable amounts of queso flameado.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

chaos rhames posted:

I've got a big bowl of fresh homegrown grapefruits. Does anyone know a good marmalade or something? I'm not eating them outright like an insane person.
Why is that insane? Grapefruit is the best citrus to eat straight.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

On a whim today I picked up a small frenched rack of lamb. Sad to say although I've eaten it many times I've never cooked it myself. Looking for a simple grill recipe to try out with it.

I would say get half your grill really hot and keep the other side a more med/low, season the lamb heavily w salt and pepper, put grill marks all over the whole lamb rack, then move it to the low side and roast until it's about 105 internal temp, and rest it. Slice between each bone to make lil lollipops and serve with some roasted garlic mashed potatoes and grilled whatever vegetables you like. And make chimichurri* to go w the lamb:
First chop fine 2 shallots and put them in a bowl and cover them w red wine vinegar and set aside while you do everything else.
Deseed a jalapeño, and chop finely with 6 cloves garlic
Chop 1 bunch parsley and 1 bunch cilantro, and a much smaller amount of fresh marjoram if possible and a similar amount of fresh thyme.
Combine everything in a big bowl with the juice of a lime, salt and enough neutral/olive oil to make it saucy. (You can add more or less depending on what you need it for.) It's good on pretty much everything. Sometimes I throw some into the vitamix and make it smooth and fold it into aioli, awesome for burgers

*I call this chimichurri but someone will probably get mad at me about it or something I put in it

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 5, 2015

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

chaos rhames posted:

You could make grapefruit pearls and do stuff with 'em:
http://www.saveur.com/article/techniques/how-to-make-grapefruit-pearls

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mr. Wookums posted:

Why is that insane? Grapefruit is the best citrus to eat straight.

I've absolutely love grapefruit and I eat one and/or have grapefruit juice most mornings for breakfast. Or at least I did until I realized that the medication I've been taking for months gets all hosed up if you consume grapefruit while you're on it.

Whoops.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I've absolutely love grapefruit and I eat one and/or have grapefruit juice most mornings for breakfast. Or at least I did until I realized that the medication I've been taking for months gets all hosed up if you consume grapefruit while you're on it.

Whoops.

Yeah, it's funny but grapefruit has a whole laundry list of meds it interacts badly with, my mother can't have it because like two of her medications have very bad interactions with it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, it's funny but grapefruit has a whole laundry list of meds it interacts badly with, my mother can't have it because like two of her medications have very bad interactions with it.

A few years ago, a friend of mine beat cancer and I decided to make him grapefruit sorbet as a tiny "hooray, no cancer!" gift. Apparently you can't have that either when you're taking a zillion meds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Whoah.