Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Wow, a bundle was pretty unexpected. How's the CC game?

In other news, Matrix have some kind of convention in Italy 23rd-25th of June and they'll be talking about the price of their games and do modern games need counters(Which I wonder if it is related to HoI4 to not having them)?

Have they reached out to you guys at all about this? I think Johan has a thing or two to say about price points and game quality ("PoN makes no money because it's a bad loving game, not because we sell it at too low a price point", to paraphrase).

And count me into the "counters as an option"-group, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Does anyone play Steel Beast? I kind of just passed it off as "Meh too much money" in the past, but it looks interesting.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

Have they reached out to you guys at all about this? I think Johan has a thing or two to say about price points and game quality ("PoN makes no money because it's a bad loving game, not because we sell it at too low a price point", to paraphrase).

And count me into the "counters as an option"-group, please.

They're having a conference right now where they sit in a hall together and forget to invite anyone from outside the wargaming clique who could give them useful advice.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 5, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If nothing else the sales figures from the Humble Bundle will be interesting. It's past 5000 units now.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ArchangeI posted:

Nope, I just saw the newspost on the Matrix site while I was looking at Starhammer tactics and thought it was interesting.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Anyone know of a good Stuka/Messerschmidt sim game that is not too difficult?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

That sounds far too stimulating, this is the thread for pushing around nato counters and bad sprites not flying planes!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Saros posted:

That sounds far too stimulating, this is the thread for pushing around nato counters and bad sprites not flying planes!

Counterpoint: Achtung Spitfire!

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

Tias posted:

If you mean a flight simulator, your best option is probably IL-2 1946. It's an old simulator but is easy to learn, has decent flight models, and includes more than 100 aircraft including plenty of Messerschmidts and Stukas. It's also very cheap - $9.99 on Steam, although it often goes down to $3-$5 in sales. Also available DRM-free on GoG.

Other options are:
  • DCS: Bf.109k, which is the most detailed and painstakingly realistic simulation of the aircraft but has very few missions, almost no other WWII era planes to dogfight, and is set in modern-day Georgia / Russia. The DCS thread is here.
  • IL-2 Cliffs of Dover, which is apparently really good if you install some giant community-made patch/mod but terrible otherwise.
  • IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad, which is apparently an $80 tech demo and not an actual game . There is a thread about it here, which is a great place to discuss any WW1 or WW2 flight simulator. If you mention IL-2 1946 everyone will get excited and try to organise multiplayer games with you.

The Geoff fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 5, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tias posted:

This seems like a contradiction in terms. A good sim game will be as difficult as it is to fly a Bf109, no more, no less (probably a bit less). IL2:1946 remains the high-water mark. Or you can play War Thunder in realistic mode.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

blackmongoose posted:

Anyone tried the new WeGo space game from Slitherine? I can't remember the name (something really dumb), but it looked like an interesting way to do space combat and is fairly reasonably priced - unfortunately I've been burned on buying grog games based on interesting surface appearances before, so I'm hesitant about getting it sight unseen.

Edit: The name is Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy, which is so bad it makes me nervous about the actual game quality.

I picked it up, only played a couple of missions. So far it looks interesting, you've got maneuver arcs that remind me of the X-Wing board game along with vertical movement. The missions have been "kill these guys" while showing me the basics of the controls. I'm hoping the battles get more interesting, I can see a lot of potential.

I was quite surprised when a hostile ship rammed into my main ship instead of getting blown up.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tias posted:

Battle of Britain 2 is superb, and has both a strategic level and a flight level.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Michi88 posted:

Does anyone play Steel Beast? I kind of just passed it off as "Meh too much money" in the past, but it looks interesting.

I tried it for a month and enjoyed it but didn't buy it because I didn't know anyone with it. If some goons do games it'd be a blast.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Rise of Prussia gold:
BZNRK-FK3ZC-DG9RY

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 5, 2015

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

Rise of Prussia gold:
BZNRK-FK3ZC-DG9RY

Thank you kind goon! I have been playing Civil War 2 and was curious about other AGEOD games.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Alchenar posted:

A good sim game will be as difficult as it is to fly a Bf109, no more, no less (probably a bit less).

The Bf-109 is not difficult to fly :ssh:

The Stuka, moderately so depending on bombload.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The Bf-109 is not difficult to fly :ssh:

The Stuka, moderately so depending on bombload.

drat hard to land though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pharnakes posted:

drat hard to land though.

You're doing it wrong then, I've never had any issues with the 109 in Il-2 1946 either when landing or taking off.

Taking off: Don't gun the throttle, don't let torque take you for a spin and don't over-correct.

Landing: Don't come in fast on a short runway, don't hit the ground aggressively.

Flying: Your mixture is automatic, your radiator is automatic, slats lessen the chance of stalls.

If you come in too hard you'll bust your landing gear same as on a spitfire.

And since you don't have to deal with the cramped cockpit, the worse thing about the 109 is the canopy frame killing some visibility which isn't that big a deal if you have TrackIR

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

apseudonym posted:

I tried it for a month and enjoyed it but didn't buy it because I didn't know anyone with it. If some goons do games it'd be a blast.

I'm kind of hesitant on buying it solely because of the no-one seems to have it bit.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Friend of mine is streaming command at the top of the hour (40 minutes) at http://www.twitch.tv/Kushan04

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Michi88 posted:

I'm kind of hesitant on buying it solely because of the no-one seems to have it bit.

You can get it monthly now as well, its definitely worth the :10bux: to try for a month and see if the singleplayer is enough for you.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Battle Academy https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=cnHu3xX46rbwEH8V
Frontline: Road to Moscow https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=6vY4Vuu7kETTqnrw

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Chump Farts posted:

Frontline: Road to Moscow https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=6vY4Vuu7kETTqnrw

Thanks!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alchiki is currently performing an excellent impersonation of the Soviet High Command in our Case Blue game.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Alchiki is currently performing an excellent impersonation of the Soviet High Command in our Case Blue game.

Now THAT is a game I wish would go on sale. That or the old SSG games.

I've been trying to get back into Battle for Italy and I like the system but suck at not having a lovely beachhead.

Edit: Anyone want to do Commander the Great War? I tried to play single player since I haven't in a while and I was in Berlin by May 1915 on normal. I don't think the AI has kept up with the patches.

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 7, 2015

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Chump Farts posted:

I've been trying to get back into Battle for Italy and I like the system but suck at not having a lovely beachhead.

That reminds me; anyone have an opinion / review on "Piercing Fortress Europa?"

And ditto on the SSG request as I'm tempted to buy both of their East Front specific games one of these days.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

apseudonym posted:

You can get it monthly now as well, its definitely worth the :10bux: to try for a month and see if the singleplayer is enough for you.

Edit*

I'm dumb and now I can read! Will give it a go with a month trial, if anyone else picks it up give me a shout.
So the time limited only has single player then?

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 7, 2015

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Alikchi posted:

I'd never played a Close Combat game before and I'm really enjoying Caen, this is a good deal.

If you like Caen you would also probably like Close Combat 3: The Russian Front

The games are pretty similar, but in CC3 there are no "strategic" moves to make, you have a platoon and requisition points to reinforce units or add new ones. The campaign is quite fun and goes from the barbarrosa all the way up to the capture of berlin, so by the end you can have some elite units with hundreds of medals, kills, etc.

The last time I played there were only 3 soldiers to survive the whole war and they were on the mortar team.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
So happy: I found a copy of http://www.amazon.com/Numbers-predi...9X22QA03VW3QBNJ at my local used book store. It's Col. Dupuy's first publication of the quantitative approach to modeling and predicting combats that formed the backbone of a lot of 80s and later wargaming, and has been cited in a Whole Lot of military history... inaccurately, usually!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Battlefront humble bundle, please.

Thanks, Humble Bundle. Wherever you are.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Michi88 posted:

Edit*

I'm dumb and now I can read! Will give it a go with a month trial, if anyone else picks it up give me a shout.
So the time limited only has single player then?

No the time limited version is the full game, they set it up a year or so ago so that you could either buy the $100+ full game forever or you could also buy it in time segments.

I enjoyed it a lot even sp, so I'll look into picking it up and we can have some goon tanks.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

apseudonym posted:

No the time limited version is the full game, they set it up a year or so ago so that you could either buy the $100+ full game forever or you could also buy it in time segments.

I enjoyed it a lot even sp, so I'll look into picking it up and we can have some goon tanks.

Sounds good, I played around with it for a-bit and it really isn't that hard to get a hang of, though I really need to work on my gunnery

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Michi88 posted:

Sounds good, I played around with it for a-bit and it really isn't that hard to get a hang of, though I really need to work on my gunnery

Its not hard to pick up at all. I really want to try one of the platoon sized maps with a goon per tank. That'd be such a great clusterfuck.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

apseudonym posted:

Its not hard to pick up at all. I really want to try one of the platoon sized maps with a goon per tank. That'd be such a great clusterfuck.

I feel like the common phrase will be " How the hell did you manage that"

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'd try steel beasts if others are going to.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

In Caen, do campaign battles not let you add extra troops? In the first battle, I'm stuck with one squad/platoon/whatever the scale is being only two bren sections. I had three support slots it wouldn't let me fill either. I won, but still, would have lost fewer men.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Chump Farts posted:

In Caen, do campaign battles not let you add extra troops? In the first battle, I'm stuck with one squad/platoon/whatever the scale is being only two bren sections. I had three support slots it wouldn't let me fill either. I won, but still, would have lost fewer men.

The battlegroup system is really bizarre. Yeah sure, make me attack into a city with an unsupported Panther company, what could go wrong.

Oh look I lost all my Panthers to infantry AT teams, quelle surprise.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ArchangeI posted:

The battlegroup system is really bizarre. Yeah sure, make me attack into a city with an unsupported Panther company, what could go wrong.

Oh look I lost all my Panthers to infantry AT teams, quelle surprise.

I never cared for that campaign system- I liked 2 or 3 better, where you just had one battlegroup that changed over time. The only problem is in CC3 it descended into a tankfest in the second half of the grand campaign.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

You can combine the infantry units with limited deployment slots available with Tank units and run one infantry platoon with a tank platoon. The campaign system is a bit weird to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

I'd try steel beasts if others are going to.

Screw it I'll pick it up.

Who would be interested in a goon MP game next weekend? Maybe 12PM PST/ 3 EST / ??? moon time on Saturday?