Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Galaga Galaxian posted:

or really dangerous diving attacks.

With these planes it's more "falling, with style."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nah, more like "Oh god my wings are totally going to snap, if not in the dive, when leveling/climb" hawk dive that frequently turn into wingless lawndarts.

Darcat
Sep 25, 2014

If we're having a game of Rise of Flight on sunday could we also play some on saturday as well? I can't fly fake planes on sunday cause I gotta look at real ones 9-5 that day.

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

Darcat posted:

If we're having a game of Rise of Flight on sunday could we also play some on saturday as well? I can't fly fake planes on sunday cause I gotta look at real ones 9-5 that day.

I also agree that Saturday would be the optimal day for such an event.*

*Disclaimer: I am not being paid by Darcat Enterprises to make this post. Any and all similarities to involvement are all coincidental.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'm terrible at RoF but I'm down for goon campaigns. Not this weekend though, gonna be traveling.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
It wasn't actually made clear in the latest patch announcement, but Rise of Flight is actually now free to play on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/244050/

You don't have to download the version from the ROF website any more to play the free trial version. Previously Channel Battles edition ($24.99) was the only way to pick up the base game on steam.

So those of you on the fence, hop in and give it a try! You get the French Spad XIII, German Albatros D.Va and Russian Nieuport 17 for free, not to mention letting you be a gunner in multiplayer in any multi-crew plane.

Grumio fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 4, 2015

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
The best part of RoF PvP is that throwing your plane into a violent death spin is actually a great defense assuming you can pull out of it before you flop into the ground. Well that and literally shooting a FPS gun at other people while flying. You only go a fraction of the speeds that you see in games like DCS but the dogfighting feels so much better when the speeds and weaponry are borderline useless unless you are flying right up someone's rear end for a while.

Thief fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 4, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

If people want, pitch me suggestions on what planes we should fly in a coop campaign. If they're not common or free I'll lean towards two seaters so people can gun.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Before I get a headache attempting the impossible... is it possible to install the Steam version of RoF and have it recognise all the planes I've bought in the 777 store? Or should I just stick to the non-Steam version and save myself a couple of hours and a russian-dev-induced migraine?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Jiblet posted:

Before I get a headache attempting the impossible... is it possible to install the Steam version of RoF and have it recognise all the planes I've bought in the 777 store? Or should I just stick to the non-Steam version and save myself a couple of hours and a russian-dev-induced migraine?

It's my understanding that the two stores are completely separate, and purchases won't cross under any circumstance due to Russian Devs "database issues".
It's best to stick to the store you bought things on.

Edit: Thankfully I'm wrong.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 5, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Iirc you ca. Log in to the steam client with your standalone credentials. There's just no way to buy from one store w the other account.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Apparently a new patch came out for IL-2.

Not BoS, the good one, that came out like a decade ago.

Neat.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What does it patch?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What does it patch?

Content of 4.13

New planes (AI only)
· He-177 A-3
· Aichi E13A floatplane
New flyable planes (cockpits)
· B-24D-140-CO + external
· IK-3
· N1K1-J
· N1K1-Ja
· N1K1-Jb
· SB 2M-103

New plane external models

· P-40E
· P-40E M-105 field mod.
· P-40M

New ground units
· 2cm Flak 38 Vierling
· Skoda Pa.II 'Zalva' armored car (MG and radio version)
· Jagdtiger
· M10 tank destroyer: early and late (late comes with closed and opened hatch)
· M36 tank destroyer with closed an opened hatch
· 2cm Flak 38 Vierling
· Type 94 tankette (Japanese)
· US AA trailer (quad cal50)
· Regimental Gun 76mm
· ATG 45 mm (1942)
New features
· Total overhaul of most bombsights.
· Added new 'realistic bombing' difficulty option to toggle between realistic/simplified bombsight inputs
· Bomb release mode keys added
· New bombardier & co-pilot position that can be manned in online coops
· Added momentum from asymmetric bomb loadouts
· Rocket release mode key added
· Course autopilot added to Luftwaffe planes
· Added working PDI lights (red, green white) to many Russian bomber pits
· Ordinance camera added
· Added target height to minimap ground targets
· Added gunner's multifunction key. Used for opening hatches, canopies, raising & lowering guns.
· Added gunner reloading if gun has clips
· FMB showing proper skin of ground objects depending on the World.camouflage
· Added FMB scrolling between different units in object windows for chiefs
· Added bombardier cockpits for all Pe-2 variants
· Added QMB option for player to chose his position in the flight
· New IJA/IJN regiments from Juri JS
· New USN/USMC regiments from Motorhead
· Added Icon settings to GUI Misc
· Added option that Icon range can be shown in meters or feets
· New SM.79 default skins by Italo
· Added differential brakes
· Added over 100 new loadouts for russian planes including RRAB cluster bombs and flares
· Bomb loadouts added to Doras
· New 3D meshes for some British bombs
· Added new conf.ini option Use3RendersUI=1 that will render UI with 1/3 width.

New maps
· New Britain & New Guinea (September 1943)
· New Britain & New Guinea (June 1944)
· Svalbard
· Tobruk
. Slovakia Autumn (Late autumn season. For proper look, it is recommended to set parameter Forest=3 in the conf.ini file under the [OpenGL] section.)

Fixes & tweaks

· Fix for the "FM" bug that can cause wingless plane to fly normally
· Fixed FM bug that caused two separate flights crash after certain plane was removed from formation
· Fixed bug with engines that caused RPMs to increase rapidly when engine selections were changed
· Fixed IL-4 engine DM bug that would cause left engine damage when right engine was shot
· Fixed very old online bug that caused wrong visual animation of engine states (with 2 or more engines)
· Fixed bomb delay bug. Old style delay (without fuzes) was not staying on UI
· Engine DM fixes for Spit, P-51, P-47 & P-40. Added missing bullet energy reductions and tweaked damage probabilities
· New Ho-3 cannon belting
· Fix for AI taxing takeoff bug in coop
· Engine DM fix so that pilot doesn't get BBQed if engine is behind pilot
· Increased minimum alive time of many MG & cannon rounds
· Fixed player taxing bug with autopilot
· Fixed NTRK & bomb bay door bug that caused doors to randomly close during playback
· Fixed beacon selection bug
· Added missing Emily nose cap
· Fixed Ki-43 nav lights
· Fixed B5N FM bug that caused AI to fail torpedo run if waypoints were set too high
· Adjusted the negative G limit when redout is starting to happen
· Removed old bomb explosion randomization that might leave unit close to explosion alive and kill another unit much further from explosion
· Updated Coral Sea QMB missions from wheelsup_cavu

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

flyable b-24 is actually baller as hell

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

SaltLick posted:

Reading is hard.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ralith posted:

Reading is hard.

New flyable planes (cockpits)

reading IS hard right?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ralith posted:

Reading is hard.

Yes it is!

quote:

Content of 4.13

New planes (AI only)
· He-177 A-3
· Aichi E13A floatplane
New :siren:flyable:siren: planes (cockpits)
· IK-3
· N1K1-J
· N1K1-Ja
· N1K1-Jb
· SB 2M-103

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

They finally add player bombadiers and il-2 doesn't even start on my laptop :negative:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

SaltLick posted:

Ffffuuuuucck that's awesome.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Il-1946 is currently $2.50 on GoG for the next 12 (24?) hours.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

SaltLick posted:

reading IS hard right?
drat straight.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

you dont need to read to fly a plane into another plane

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Well I guess I'm going to have to make a seperate install for the new patch so i can run it and hsfx. At least now I can join goon nights, those are happening right?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Good grief I forgot how much fun Rise of Flight is. I got distracted by DCS World for the last month or so but I managed to snag a few planes during the recent sale. Sergeant Erkel Cunthrope has successfully sortied over the Channel theatre and achieved 2 kills in the Sopwith Camel. The landing on the first mission was a little hairy in that I bounced about three times and then snapped off the propeller, but the second landing was smooth as butter.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
What is the difference between the stock dynamic campaigns and Pat Wilson's in RoF?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

As I understand it, and I could be wrong...

The stock 777 career mode uses a lot spawning scripts. Stuff only spawns in when you get near to where they're supposed to spawn and it generally creates spawns with the intention that you're supposed to run into them (so if you get a patrol mission its almost certainly put a spot where enemies will spawn in specifically for you to encounter).

Meanwhile Pat Wilson just generates assorted missions for all the various units in the area independent of eachother (the exact amount of units/distance from your base is set in the options) and then has them carry them out. So if you get a patrol mission its completely possible for you to never encounter an enemy, but if you do, its because they're running their own mission in the area, not because they were spawned in specifically for you to fight.

In general Pat Wilson's always felt a lot more "alive" to me, plus it has the option to run into real life Aces if they happen to be deployed in you area, unlike 777 Career, in which you'll never encounter anything but bog standard enemies of various skill levels.

So its completely possible that in PWCG you'll run into this guy:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Yeah, basically stock is: if you decide not to fly in the general area where your mission is you're going to be flying around an empty unpopulated world. What we like to call Classic Rise of Flight/BoS.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 7, 2015

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Had some fun ROF dogfight shenanigans this evening. Sounds like the same will happen tomorrow afternoon/evening, hang out in the AirGoons mumble or flightsim IRC channel to hear what's going on.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Grumio posted:

Had some fun ROF dogfight shenanigans this evening. Sounds like the same will happen tomorrow afternoon/evening, hang out in the AirGoons mumble or flightsim IRC channel to hear what's going on.

What sort of time are people thinking tonight?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Not sure, I'll turn up fairly later (~6pm PDT) because I'm actually GMT +10. If anyone else here is flying earlier in the day, post in here.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As I understand it, and I could be wrong...

The stock 777 career mode uses a lot spawning scripts. Stuff only spawns in when you get near to where they're supposed to spawn and it generally creates spawns with the intention that you're supposed to run into them (so if you get a patrol mission its almost certainly put a spot where enemies will spawn in specifically for you to encounter).

Meanwhile Pat Wilson just generates assorted missions for all the various units in the area independent of eachother (the exact amount of units/distance from your base is set in the options) and then has them carry them out. So if you get a patrol mission its completely possible for you to never encounter an enemy, but if you do, its because they're running their own mission in the area, not because they were spawned in specifically for you to fight.

In general Pat Wilson's always felt a lot more "alive" to me, plus it has the option to run into real life Aces if they happen to be deployed in you area, unlike 777 Career, in which you'll never encounter anything but bog standard enemies of various skill levels.

So its completely possible that in PWCG you'll run into this guy:

Aces are a hoot to fight too. They're not just a custom skin, they have tweaked AI. They are extremely aggressive and have most of the "skill sliders" set to maximum, adds an extra level of chaos to any dogfight you're in.

PWCG is really good, my only problem with it is that I can't get it to host Coop missions. I have coop turned on in the config, I generate a mission, but when I host the server it loads about 5% of the bar and then crashes back to the main menu with no error message. I've been stuck with the default missions for multiplayer lately, which aren't bad, but there aren't many of them.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
"... it has been stated by the devs that BoM will have the exact same so called type of campaign as BoS, meaning basically just a random mission generator."

Welp. Pound another nail into that coffin.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sauer posted:

"... it has been stated by the devs that BoM will have the exact same so called type of campaign as BoS, meaning basically just a random mission generator."

Welp. Pound another nail into that coffin.

If I at any point say I'm going to buy BoM quote this post saying I'm never buying BoM.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Dare you to toxx for it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
He secretly wants a reason to buy it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So do I, but that reason would be something like "much better campaign system" or "elaborate Multiplayer co-op stuff". :sigh:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Where's Pat Wilson when you need him

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

He said he wasn't interested in IL-2 BoS. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Rather enjoying the challenging but not psychic AI in RoF. Just did a flight over Nieuport with four other AI bros in relatively bad weather. Two disappeared as we hit the clouds over the front and I never saw them again. After action showed they returned to base safe and sound but never did manage to link back up with us. Got into a little tussle with a Belgian fighter and was separated from my flight lead so went poot pooting around until I found him and joined back up. Took a few minutes before I noticed that the side of the airplane had french rondels not an Iron Cross. He never noticed that I was an enemy either. That was neat. I fired a burst at him, ran out of gun food and we both ran away.

I sincerely have no idea what happened with BoS. Its the exact same game engine worked on by the same developers.