Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Witcher Universe:

Has more bandits than peasants (Not sure how this works out economically)

All wild animals attack you (Not sure how an animal that attacks things much stronger than it never died off)

Has nearly as many wolves and rabid dogs as herbivores (lol)

And there are literally like 3 people alive that think they can't gently caress you up

The bandits are soldiers that deserted or opportunistic peasants, and there aren't more of them than regular people. It doesn't have to work economically because they're preying on merchants and military supply trains add much as peasants and they haven't been there long anyway. The towns are actually fairly well populated, unlike most games, especially Oxenfurt and Novigrad.

Only wild dogs and wolves attack you. There are herds of deer and rabbits and farm animals all over the place that don't bother you.

Wolves and wild dogs are thriving because of all the corpses left behind at battlefields, and the abandoned villages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Aishan posted:

There's also a quest in Kaer Morhen, at the 'Bastion' to the West of the main keep that makes use of it.

And a side quest in Velen that involves bringing a ring to a graveyard.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

quote:

Improves Geralt's movement, especially when he swims.
Disables "Input device changed" messages and adds options to disable on-screen combat feedback and floating tags above NPCs.

I'm sold.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't care how many bandits or wild dogs are running around, they're not poo poo I need for oils and decoctions.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
These are my notes on where I got each treasure map but in Skellige, I'm not get new ones at all anymore:

Adalbert Kermith(Cat)
Map 1: Blackbough merchant
Map 2: Blackbough blacksmith
Map 3: Crow's Perch merchant
Map 4: Lindenvale blacksmith

Edwin Greloff(Griffin)
Map 1: Midcopse armourer
Map 2: Midcopse armourer
Map 3: Novigrad armourer

Ibrahim Savi(Bear)
Map 1: Oxen

Does anybody know where the remaining ones are?

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
Just downloaded the 1.05 patch and it really smooths out the frame rate on PC along with taking care of pop-in.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Speaking of oils - is there a definitive set of stuff I should/shouldn't use ekkimara hides on? I have two of them and have been afraid to make anything that needs them for fear I'll find a recipe for something I want more later. Same with the single golem heart I have; I kinda want to make the Blizzard potion but what if I need a golem heart later?! :ohdear:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Walrus Pete posted:

Speaking of oils - is there a definitive set of stuff I should/shouldn't use ekkimara hides on? I have two of them and have been afraid to make anything that needs them for fear I'll find a recipe for something I want more later. Same with the single golem heart I have; I kinda want to make the Blizzard potion but what if I need a golem heart later?! :ohdear:

The new patch seems to have removed the Ekimmara hide requirement in at least some of them so you probably won't need to worry about that.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Walrus Pete posted:

I would say the most important thing the hides are used in is superior hangman's oil. They're needed for several other fairly niche oils (relict I think?) and I would say to skip those.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Has anyone tried a Jedi style build with souped up aard and axii signs? That's what I'd originally wanted to do, but aard seems really underwhelming.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

10 Beers posted:

Has anyone tried a Jedi style build with souped up aard and axii signs? That's what I'd originally wanted to do, but aard seems really underwhelming.

I use Axii more than Aard but yes. It works pretty well. Enemies that become your puppets become a target for their friends immediately and if they get hit or hit a friend they pretty much die in one hit. Aard is more situational (with humans at least) but allows for easy coup de gras attacks. I prefer Igni to it, both regular and alt seem more useful to me.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So for folks with the new patch how does Geralt's movement feel now?

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

10 Beers posted:

Aard ended up my as primary combat sign by the end of the game. With a bunch of Aard glyphs and the first two Aard abilities slotted, it became brokenly reliable at knocking humanoids down for instant kills, and the alternate mode is great if you get surrounded or any time you're dealing with flying enemies.

It's not as great against giant monsters but against humanoids I think it's the most effective offensive sign per cast.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Can you drink multiple decoctions? If not, what's the point of taking multiple levels in that toxicity increasing skill? I took one level in it, and I can already tolerate 175 which is enough for 1 decoction + as many potions as you want.

Also what exactly does the blizzard portion do?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
So about that bovine defense force.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Levantine posted:

I use Axii more than Aard but yes. It works pretty well. Enemies that become your puppets become a target for their friends immediately and if they get hit or hit a friend they pretty much die in one hit. Aard is more situational (with humans at least) but allows for easy coup de gras attacks. I prefer Igni to it, both regular and alt seem more useful to me.

Yeah, for a non-Sign build Aard is probably as good or better than Igni, but with a lot of Sign Intensity you have a high % Burn on Igni and it just feels like a better all-purpose nuke and CC.

In general I've been thinking the top two tiers of the Sign tree are pretty underwhelming. The first tier is cool utility stuff and the second tier unlocks the alternate signs all of which are awesome and add a lot of options and variety (except I'm a little underwhelmed with Aard). Third tier is all Sign-specific Intensity and I'm not sure how it stacks with generic Sign Intensity but if the the character data sheet is to be trusted they seem underwhelming for the point investment. I've tried all the top tier Sign upgrades and none of them have really been standouts. The extra Aard damage doesn't seem to scale with Intensity so it's not very impressive. I already have high Burn chance on Igni. The top Yrden upgrade only applies to regular Yrden and 50 damage/sec (again, doesn't seem to scale) is really wimpy. Quen damage reflect seems alright. Being able to charm two targets at once with Axii is cool but the main drawback to Axii in the first place is getting interrupted during the channel/windup. In a situation where charming two targets is useful, it's gonna be difficult to get both of those off.

Basically I'm thinking for a Signs build your best return on investment is the first two tiers of abilities (grab Griffin gear and the Griffin generic ability, blue mutagens for Sign Intensity) and then invest in Alchemy or some fightin' abilities. The top two tiers of Sign abilities are pretty meh.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Didn't realize that the PS4 also got the update. Geralt moves a lot better now imo.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

So you can't make mutagens any more if you already have one of that type. Or brew up multiple batches of White Gull/other alchemical precursors.
This does not seem right to me. Do we think this was intended, or an oversight?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Can you drink multiple decoctions? If not, what's the point of taking multiple levels in that toxicity increasing skill? I took one level in it, and I can already tolerate 175 which is enough for 1 decoction + as many potions as you want.

Also what exactly does the blizzard portion do?

Yes, you can drink multiple decoctions. It rules. It's especially great with the skill that makes potions never wear off until you fall below a certain level of toxicity, because you can put yourself above that level with decoctions alone, and then potions essentially last as long as decoctions.

Blizzard gives you a short period of slow motion after you kill something.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Wait isn't Blizzard supposed to let you parry easier? I tried it like twice and it didn't seem to help much so I just ignored it for the entire game. The superior bonus looked alright though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

dyzzy posted:

Wait isn't Blizzard supposed to let you parry easier? I tried it like twice and it didn't seem to help much so I just ignored it for the entire game. The superior bonus looked alright though.

Frenzy is the skill that lets you parry easier, in that if you have any toxicity, you get a brief slow motion effect whenever an enemy attacks while you're attacking (essentially, when an enemy breaks out of blocking to do a counterattack).

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Harrow posted:

Yes, you can drink multiple decoctions. It rules. It's especially great with the skill that makes potions never wear off until you fall below a certain level of toxicity, because you can put yourself above that level with decoctions alone, and then potions essentially last as long as decoctions.

Blizzard gives you a short period of slow motion after you kill something.

I tried this before the last patch and the trait just never seemed to function for me at all.
Best two decoctions though are Ekhidna and Archgriffin. Ekhidna heals you whenever you spend stamina, and Archgriffin spends 100% of your available stamina when you use a strong attack to add a flat 10% of the enemy's health to the damage dealt. Pair these with full light armor and stack sign traits for stamina regen and you're borderline invincible. Endgame you can toss on the Wraith decoction that auto-Quens whenever you lose more than a third of your health to a single blow, though by that point it's hardly necessary.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I can confirm that certain oils no longer require ekimmara hides. Enhanced cursed oil still does but enhanced elementa, enhanced hanged man, and superior hanged man no longer require it. I don't have the formula yet but I'm guessing superior cursed will still require it as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well, I'm glad the patch is out. I haven't played all week because I found I wasn't getting XP for story quests that my friend was getting XP from. I didn't expect all of these other cool fixes with it, too. Nice. I'm excited to get home from work and play.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Scandalous posted:

This does not seem right to me. Do we think this was intended, or an oversight?

That doesn't seem intended since it basically makes it impossible to create greater mutagens because you need to make 3 regular mutagens first.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Harrow posted:

Well, I'm glad the patch is out. I haven't played all week because I found I wasn't getting XP for story quests that my friend was getting XP from. I didn't expect all of these other cool fixes with it, too. Nice. I'm excited to get home from work and play.

That was the point of the delay--they had the XP fix upwards of a week ago, but they didn't want to alter the code base this close to a big patch--better to wait a few days and roll it all in together. Kinda sucked to wait the extra time--especially with the uncertainty of the Polish holiday possibly screwing the release date--but I'm really glad they were able to get it out the door this week.

Now I want to kill some cows when I'm level 20-something to see if I can kill the chort :3:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Harrow posted:

Frenzy is the skill that lets you parry easier, in that if you have any toxicity, you get a brief slow motion effect whenever an enemy attacks while you're attacking (essentially, when an enemy breaks out of blocking to do a counterattack).

drat the description makes it seem more worthwhile. I was expecting more generous parry windows or something.

http://thewitcher3.wiki.fextralife.com/Blizzard

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 5, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the fixed the glyphs names, so you can craft from lesser to regular glyphs, then regular to greater glyphs, but they didn't fix the wrong-named ones that you already had, so my inventory is still a mess of glyphs.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Unfortunately the patch didn't fix the issue I'm having where Keira is stuck standing inside her portal at Fyke Isle causing the "For the Advancement of Learning" quest to not actually finish.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Did texture/NPC pop in get fixed? Its not in the patch notes...

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Wow that's a huge patch. Guess the game is somewhat stable now, a good time to start if you're smart and have been waiting.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Did texture/NPC pop in get fixed? Its not in the patch notes...

Still here, strong as ever. But I don't have an SSD, so.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Badly Jester posted:

there are bug again of the lord undvik!! what fix!!! nothing LOL

new thread title if ever there was one

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

GOTY ALL YEARS

Edit: Just tried it out. Chort appears to be level 27 and infinitely respawns. Drops pretty good crafting materials as well, but little exp. Thanks CDPR. :allears:

rocode fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 5, 2015

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

rocode posted:

GOTY ALL YEARS

The king's gone mad with power! He's gonna eat the chort!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Still here, strong as ever. But I don't have an SSD, so.

I have an ssd :(. I'm scared that all the pop in is actually an "optimization" so that the game doesn't have to load too many things at the same time.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Is there a list of quests that are inaccessible after the Isle of Mists quest? Just want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Wiseblood posted:

What have fix!! nothing

there are bug again of the lord undvik!! what fix!!! nothing LOL

they fix quest bug nope!!

this loving post, i keep coming back to it laughing harder every time

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Geralt, I'm sorry but I think you got out-riddled by a troll (paraphrasing):

Geralt: What is light as a feather, but even a troll can't hold onto it for long?
Troll: Piss?

Uh, I'm guessing the answer you wanted was "breath" but I'd have taken "piss" too :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Pellisworth posted:

Geralt, I'm sorry but I think you got out-riddled by a troll (paraphrasing):

Geralt: What is light as a feather, but even a troll can't hold onto it for long?
Troll: Piss?

Uh, I'm guessing the answer you wanted was "breath" but I'd have taken "piss" too :allears:

Yea the troll gave a good answer. Geralt should have jumped in the pot.