Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spooky Forum Ghost
Mar 9, 2015
This is insanely long and wonky, figure the thread would enjoy it. Meet Robby Mook, Hillary Clinton's campaign manager. It paints a pretty good picture of how her campaign will be organized and ran, versus, say...

quote:

This time, Clinton has made organizing the priority.

Campaign officials have said that the state directors in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada will not only have the resources they need — but they’ll also get the candidate often, and in settings tailored to benefit their organizing efforts. Internally, they have even replaced the word “field” with “organizing” in staffers’ titles.

As Exley put it, with Mook in charge, “she’s not making the same mistake this time.”

But there will be challenges. One question is whether the organizing model can actually scale effectively across the board in a presidential campaign. Obama came close in 2008. But before that, there were only isolated cases: John Kerry did it in Iowa in 2004. And Dean, whose campaign helped introduce organizing conceptually to a national electoral audience, really only did it in one state — New Hampshire.

It also touches on how his process was inspired by Howard Dean's 2004 run.

quote:

Most campaigns focused almost exclusively on building supporter lists, often from scratch. The effort requires identifying voters — supporters, undecideds, backers of the opponent, and various shades in between. The process, called “voter contact” in field-speak, is simple, time-consuming, and necessary. And it happens only one way: door by door, call by call, for hours and hours, every day. Campaigns can use staff and volunteers — but often, they pay a team of canvassers to do the work.

In New Hampshire, Dean aides flipped the traditional field operation on its head.

They pulled people off voter contact — away from the doors and the phones — and instead trained them as organizers in the tradition of the ’60s and ’70s. Using techniques from the protest and labor movements of that era — one-on-one meetings, house meetings — the Dean campaign set out to build a volunteer army.

The idea went was this: Organizers sought to cultivate relationships with voters, enlist them as volunteers, and then develop those volunteers into “volunteer leaders” — who would invest even more time, take on even more responsibility, and recruit even more volunteers. The objective was an organization of devoted supporters, not cogs in the machine or paid labor. And the result, ultimately, was far greater capacity for voter contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

My hope for the debates is that Christie will see them as his last chance to gain some momentum, and will come out in full "Sit down and shut up!" mode.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
So are Field Organizers Organizing Organizers now?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

My hope for the debates is that Christie will see them as his last chance to gain some momentum, and will come out in full "Sit down and shut up!" mode.

Oh god imagine Christie acting this way in a debate that also includes Trump :allears:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

RZApublican posted:

Oh god imagine Christie acting this way in a debate that also includes Trump :allears:

I imagine at the very least the moderator would require a paddle or a meterstick.

What the hell, make it shock collars.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Arial 2016

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

neonnoodle posted:

Arial/Full Bleed 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aliquid posted:

If he can get up into the 7-8% range, he can get teir 1 but it looks like he's only around 4-5% currently.

The fact that the guy who teases a run every time is at 5% means that an actual announcement should bump him up sufficiently. Trump's problem is that if he announces there's only a brief window of time where he can ride the shiny new thing surge and it may not be enough to make it to the debate. Especially since the closer we get to the debate the more knives are coming out from those near, at, or below the line to ensure they make the cut.

More White Noise posted:

This is insanely long and wonky, figure the thread would enjoy it. Meet Robby Mook, Hillary Clinton's campaign manager. It paints a pretty good picture of how her campaign will be organized and ran, versus, say...

An organization can never have too many mooks.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!

Gyges posted:

The fact that the guy who teases a run every time is at 5% means that an actual announcement should bump him up sufficiently. Trump's problem is that if he announces there's only a brief window of time where he can ride the shiny new thing surge and it may not be enough to make it to the debate. Especially since the closer we get to the debate the more knives are coming out from those near, at, or below the line to ensure they make the cut.

An organization can never have too many mooks.

Robby Mook is a pretty cool guy and very good at his job. I'm incredibly jealous of his career, because he went from college graduate to running presidential campaigns in 3 years. He had his own office at Perkins Coie a few years after he was living in a studio apartment in Vermont. Good on Hillary for picking him up and yet another reason to be jealous of the Mookster.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

All hail President Weed, winner of the 2016 presidential election.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I for one welcome our new Weedlord

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Glad to see Bernie Sanders is getting such an upswing!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Bicyclops posted:

Glad to see Bernie Sanders is getting such an upswing!

No way this doesn't boost Waka Flocka Flame's numbers even more.

e:

:laffo: i didn't even notice

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 5, 2015

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
PAGE 420 :birddrugs: :catdrugs: :2bong: :rznv: :obama:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Raskolnikov38 posted:

While other states have legalized recreation marijuana, and Colorado and Washington still haven't burned up in a cloud of smoke, my state's legislature is still playing the "let's wait and see" game on medical marijuana.

Is anyone in the presidential circus (on either side) directly in favor of legalization?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Nastier Nate posted:

Is anyone in the presidential circus (on either side) directly in favor of legalization?

No, even Bernie had to be goaded into saying "yeah I guess it's ok".

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Bernie supports medical legalization, and is on the fence about recreational legalization (though he supports decriminalization when pressed, he doesn't think it's a major issue except insofar as the drug war is a tool of class warfare)

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

oldswitcheroo posted:

So are Field Organizers Organizing Organizers now?

It's happening in Minnesota! League Of Organizing Professionals here to help organizers get jobs off campaign season! Plus they try and work out better pay and possibly a day off or two for staffers. Sort of like a quasi union for state level campaign workers.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I want to see a runoff between weed and alcohol

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Weed chat on page 420 :getin:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
It's ok.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump going after Fiorina business record will be fantastic

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
NYT posted a pretty obvious hit piece about Rubio today about...traffic violations? We're already scraping the bottom of the barrel. This election season is going to be a blast.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/06/05/marco-rubio-and-his-wife-cited-17-times-for-traffic-infractions-2/?_r=0

Edit: http://freebeacon.com/politics/democratic-oppo-firms-fingerprints-on-nyt-rubio-hit/

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Nastier Nate posted:

While other states have legalized recreation marijuana, and Colorado and Washington still haven't burned up in a cloud of smoke

Oh, I think you'll find that they have :weed:

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

More White Noise posted:

Hey, you leave my Governor T-Mac alone! Virginia now has an official State Kegerator in the Governor's Mansion. Beat that, every other state!

AlouetteNR posted:

Does anyone else think that Jeb is intentionally shooting his own campaign in the foot, because he recognizes he couldn't win this time around and would rather be a failed primary candidate (keeping options open for a future run) than a failed presidential candidate? He's been incredibly low profile, with everything he puts out being just awful and sinking his polling more and more.

The only reason I could buy that he isn't intentionally self-destructing is that his chances probably wouldn't be better next time around, and in 2024 he would be as old or slightly older than Reagan, which is the age people start worrying about old white politicians ability to not die in office.

Jeb Bush is keeping a low profile because (a) profile outside of Iowa/NH/SC/Nevada is useless right now as long as one qualifies for the FNC debate, and (b) by only "maybe" running for President, Jeb Bush can raise unlimited funds for his Super-PAC. It's not self-destructive to be quiet right now, it's actually to his benefit.

Also, I noticed in 2014 a lot of Republican candidates adopted a bit of a "closed mouth gather no foot" strategy in terms of avoiding press availability unless it was in a controlled environment. This could be an extension of that, and honestly having seen 2012 I sort of think it's a wise strategy - all that media coverage right now does is give the Marco Rubios and Rick Perrys and Ben Carsons of the world a chance to make an "Oops".

At a recent candidate training I attended, one of the presenters (who is a staffer for a senior Congressman) pointed out that "earned media" (making the news) is great because it's free, but it essentially puts the newsmedia in between you and the voters you're trying to reach, and as a result only part of your message gets through and only at partial potency. By contrast, direct voter contact (mailers, calls, door knocks, etc) lets you give the voter your entire message uninterrupted and unmodified. In the past, and in lower-tier races today, the money isn't there to directly contact all the voters you need. I would extrapolate from that lesson that on a contemporary federal-level campaign budget, if you can afford to directly contact all the voters you need, "earned media" is much less important. Sure, you need to do some of it and you can't completely ignore reporters, and of course you'll spin anything you can for any marginal advantage, but it's moving from "the most important thing" to "an important thing". This is doubly true as the reach of "mainstream media" declines and segments itself politically.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

More White Noise posted:

It also touches on how his process was inspired by Howard Dean's 2004 run.

Its interesting how many pieces are written about the guy, motherjones, vice, etc. What is the benefit for the campaign? Intimidate the others? There's been a ton written about Obama's machine, but those were post election, which there is a plausible reason for I suppose.

EDIT: I watched that Mc appearance live. A magical moment.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

"Oh, Senate floor footage, I just can't quit you bro." ~ Rand Paul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgPCZ7uZN8k

I think he really messed up by including Grassley's voice in the clip. That's not going to go over well with the Iowan. :munch:

SOURCE: CNN

Mr Hootington posted:

The tickets for the event are $150 per couple and will be Saturday.

Trip Report

a cranky old veteran in a wheelchair wearing a Bernie Sanders for President T-Shirt

lol

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 5, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Trump going after Fiorina business record will be fantastic

It's a dream ticket, though! "Trump/Fiorina 2016: Go for broke!"

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Professor Funk posted:

NYT posted a pretty obvious hit piece about Rubio today about...traffic violations? We're already scraping the bottom of the barrel. This election season is going to be a blast.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/06/05/marco-rubio-and-his-wife-cited-17-times-for-traffic-infractions-2/?_r=0

This reads like a parody piece. Two reporter byline for that?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Rubio scandal list:

Bought a house that lost money
Bought a fridge
Has four speeding tickets in 20 years

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Professor Funk posted:

Rubio scandal list:

Bought a fridge

His mouth was dry once

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Professor Funk posted:

Rubio scandal list:

Bought a fridge

Sounds like we have our next Teflon president :smug:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Professor Funk posted:

Rubio scandal list:

Bought a fridge

Was in an Osmond lip-syncing group.

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/orland...ent?oid=2399311

I also didn't know his family was Mormon at some point.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Professor Funk posted:

Rubio scandal list:

Bought a fridge

Thinks immigrants are people

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Professor Funk posted:

Rubio scandal list:

Bought a fridge

as a sincere fan of Rubio I'd say it's not his time to be President..I think he is more of a 2020 or a 2030 president type of guy

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

A3th3r posted:

as a sincere fan of Rubio I'd say it's not his time to be President..I think he is more of a 2020 or a 2030 president type of guy

Too risky. He'll have over 20 traffic tickets by then. :fork:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Did anyone else notice that Jindal choose a stupid date to announce? On June 24, SCOTUS is expected to rule on either gay marriage or Obamacare subsidies, so Jindal won't get much media attention for his announcement.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Chamale posted:

Did anyone else notice that Jindal choose a stupid date to announce? On June 24, SCOTUS is expected to rule on either gay marriage or Obamacare subsidies, so Jindal won't get much media attention for his announcement.
Maybe he wants other events to distract from how bizarre, wooden and stilted his announcement will be.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

*crosses fingers* please nobody look at the Louisiana state budget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

A3th3r posted:

I think he's going to find running for president in 2030 to be extremely difficult.

• Locked thread