Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

evilweasel posted:

I need something like a chromebook that's only purpose will essentially be to be a vaguely movable internet machine that sits at my desk to visit sites that we can't have accessible on company networks (webmail, etc). Will the cheapest chromebook I can find do, or are there ones that actually suck at even that most basic of tasks?

Do you give a poo poo about the display? If not, go rock bottom and get either the Hisense or Haier Chromebook for $150. If you don't want to buy those lower-tier brands, pay the $20 premium and get the Asus Chromebook C201. All 3 will browse the web just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I need to bring my own laptop for a new job, but I don't think my nearly dead 1000HE EeePC will be up to it. I would like to buy another Asus, for dumb reasons, but I'm unsure which model number I should be looking for. I want something that's 13-15", Intel i5, SSD, and 5 GHz wifi. The important thing is that it'd be able to run IDEs and other development suites without issue. I'd also like a proper laptop, so no transformer tablet thing, also something that will run Windows no problem so no chromebooks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jehde posted:

I need to bring my own laptop for a new job, but I don't think my nearly dead 1000HE EeePC will be up to it. I would like to buy another Asus, for dumb reasons, but I'm unsure which model number I should be looking for. I want something that's 13-15", Intel i5, SSD, and 5 GHz wifi. The important thing is that it'd be able to run IDEs and other development suites without issue. I'd also like a proper laptop, so no transformer tablet thing, also something that will run Windows no problem so no chromebooks.

http://www.asus.com/zenbook/

e: http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX303LA-DS51T-13-3-Inch-Touchscreen-Broadwell/dp/B00S44HXRW/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Shop around for lower prices. 8 gigs of ram might be low in the future, and I don't think it's upgradable so consider that too.

Zenbooks are really good though. If I didn't buy myself a google pixel, I'd be getting one of those.

Truga fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 6, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jehde posted:

I think the Microsoft store sells the Microsoft signature edition of the Asus X305 for $599 right now. The laptops on the Microsoft store tend to be in the upper or top tiers of consumer laptops.

If you're going to do code Dev on it you should also consider the XPS 13 it's quite popular for that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

teagone posted:

Do you give a poo poo about the display? If not, go rock bottom and get either the Hisense or Haier Chromebook for $150. If you don't want to buy those lower-tier brands, pay the $20 premium and get the Asus Chromebook C201. All 3 will browse the web just fine.

That sounds like a plan, thanks!

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
After looking into the x220 more, I found that the screen's res and size is a bit lackluster for coding, will I be paying out the arse for a halfway decent resolution?

Rookoo fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 6, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The x220 is a couple years old and did not come with a 1080p display. You will want the x240 to preferably the x250 which offer a high resolution display. Also consider the xps 13.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
My brother needs a laptop for AutoCAD use. He's coming from a Sandy Bridge i5 laptop with a 15.6" 1366*768 panel, 8gb of ram and a regular spinning hard drive. I assume what he wants is a decent resolution and an SSD. Having no experience with using AutoCAD myself, what is the ideal resolution and screen size?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The ideal screen size would be as big as possible, if it weren't for the fact that laptops are meant to be carried around.

So the ideal screen size depends on how much he'd use the internal screen. It could also depend on his performance needs -- does he need a discrete GPU? How good does it have to be? Larger laptops can have better performance.

Generally speaking 15.6" at 1080p would be OK, certain 14" options could be OK too, and it's unlikely that 17.3" would be useful, it depends on how he's actually going to use the laptop and what intensity of AutoCAD usage he needs.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Truga posted:

http://www.asus.com/zenbook/

e: http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX303LA-DS51T-13-3-Inch-Touchscreen-Broadwell/dp/B00S44HXRW/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Shop around for lower prices. 8 gigs of ram might be low in the future, and I don't think it's upgradable so consider that too.

Zenbooks are really good though. If I didn't buy myself a google pixel, I'd be getting one of those.

Hadlock posted:

I think the Microsoft store sells the Microsoft signature edition of the Asus X305 for $599 right now. The laptops on the Microsoft store tend to be in the upper or top tiers of consumer laptops.

If you're going to do code Dev on it you should also consider the XPS 13 it's quite popular for that.

Thanks for putting me on the right track. My understanding is that the UX305 is the next generation of the UX303. The UX305 seems perfect for me, except I'm unsure about the performance of that new fanless Intel Core M. How would the Core M fare with compiling something in an IDE, having a couple spreadsheets or word documents open, and having a dozen tabs open in the browser at the same time for long periods?

Edit: Upon further research it seems Core M won't be up for it in the long run, more of a tablet CPU. Looks like I wanna track down a UX303.

Edit 2: Went ahead and got a UX303LN, loving it so far. The QHD screen is a bit warm, making some colours seem a bit off, but I really don't mind it, especially since everything else is top notch.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 9, 2015

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If it's possible for him to have an external display the sky is the limit for laptops. Assuming autocad doesn't benefit from beefy dgpus.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Looking for a laptop for my brother since he got a new internship as a chemical engineer. He is looking for a laptop that has a SSD (no HDD), 8GB Ram, Hi-resolution, lightweight (ultrabook design he says), doesn't need a lot of extras, good battery life.

His uses for the laptop are running engineering programs (Excel, MatLab, Word, Aspen+, etc.), surfing the web, watching movies.

He is looking at Macbook Pro, but those are out of his price range. His price range is $1,000.00 and would like to spend less if he can.

I showed him the Zenbook and he likes that but would like more storage on the SSD. Also showed him this Zenbook but I see the processor is the M series. Is that bad?

Thanks for the help!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just get the XPS 13 - it's a really great system.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

dissss posted:

Just get the XPS 13 - it's a really great system.

Yeah just looked at it and looks amazing. Is it hard to upgrade the RAM? Jumping from 4GB to 8GB is $250.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
As with most slim systems you can't upgrade the RAM - you need to configure with however much you need.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Fixit posted:

Yeah just looked at it and looks amazing. Is it hard to upgrade the RAM? Jumping from 4GB to 8GB is $250.

To be fair, that also bumps the hard drive and processor up too.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So I'm looking for a new Windows laptop as my 2008 Satellite no longer cuts the mustard. I'd like a 17.3" screen but I don't really have any other specifics I can think of, I just want a pretty decent one I guess. I'm not that well versed in this stuff, so I dunno how helpful that is.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Aphrodite posted:

They even got rid of that cool little adaptive function key row.

I'm glad that abomination is not found on any work laptop anymore.

It's a terrible pain for anyone who even occasionally uses function keys without looking.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

My T550 has shipped! :toot: That was much faster than expected, they say expect 5-7 business days before it ships. I should have it early next week.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
It's pretty funny, the lowest end xps 13 is 400 bucks more expensive in the uk. It seems almost worth just buying it from amazon US if they allow it. Can't think of anything that could go wrong apart from different power adapters.

Ultimately though, a refurbished T520 is looking good right about now. Not bothered about no usb 3, or the touchpad being small. Does this look like a good deal, assuming the refurb job is fine?

http://microdream.co.uk/lenovo-thinkpad-t520-i5-2520m-2-40ghz-4gb-320gb-dvdrw-15-6-windows-7-professional-64bit.html#.VXSBkZpwZpU

Rookoo fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 7, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Rookoo posted:

It's pretty funny, the lowest end xps 13 is 400 bucks more expensive in the uk. It seems almost worth just buying it from amazon US if they allow it. Can't think of anything that could go wrong apart from different power adapters.

Ultimately though, a refurbished T520 is looking good right about now. Not bothered about no usb 3, or the touchpad being small. Does this look like a good deal, assuming the refurb job is fine?

http://microdream.co.uk/lenovo-thinkpad-t520-i5-2520m-2-40ghz-4gb-320gb-dvdrw-15-6-windows-7-professional-64bit.html#.VXSBkZpwZpU

That's pretty crazy, especially considering the lowest end xps 13 only has 4GB of RAM.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Rookoo posted:

It's pretty funny, the lowest end xps 13 is 400 bucks more expensive in the uk.
Pfrt, only $400? It's $600 more expensive here in Belgium.

Beyond insane.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Pfrt, only $400? It's $600 more expensive here in Belgium.

Beyond insane.

It goes a bit beyond the "Just change the dollar sign with a pound/euro symbol and have done with it" attitude.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is it not a thing in other countries to just buy the laptop new from an eBay seller who offers international shipping, at the US price? Even if you get stuck eating the customs fees that's got to be way less than $400

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Hadlock posted:

Is it not a thing in other countries to just buy the laptop new from an eBay seller who offers international shipping, at the US price? Even if you get stuck eating the customs fees that's got to be way less than $400

I would imagine you'd run into troubles if you ever needed to use the warranty.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Possibly, if you're in the UK or the Netherlands. In other Euro countries you got shafted long ago because you grew up with some weird keyboard layout that only a couple of million people use worldwide.

And you'd need a power adapter too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is there a dependable brand of laptop power supply? I'm sick of crawling every time I want to take it with me or plug it back in at my desk. My power supply is 19.5 V 9.2 A. The only place I've found the one that came with it is some online store I've never heard of, haven't found anything bad about them but I don't feel like it's worth $120.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Flipperwaldt posted:

And you'd need a power adapter too.

That part is rarely a big deal, laptop power adapters tend to be full range these days, and the AC inlet is always some easy-to-find standard cable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lenovos typically have swappable keyboards. The Thinkpads at least. That does add like, $45 to the cost of the laptop but you could probably flip the us keyboard on eBay for $20.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

That part is rarely a big deal, laptop power adapters tend to be full range these days, and the AC inlet is always some easy-to-find standard cable.
Fair point.

Hadlock posted:

Lenovos typically have swappable keyboards. The Thinkpads at least. That does add like, $45 to the cost of the laptop but you could probably flip the us keyboard on eBay for $20.
A quick search shows those $45 would also have translated to around €65 ($72) excluding shipping for me. Plus I don't really like opening up laptops beyond whatever access panel is available. I have broken too many tiny plastic clips in my time. It's certainly not something I could recommend to any of my less technically minded friends.

I mean, it's possible, sure. But it requires a lot of determination and research.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Thinkpad keyboards are swappable in the sense that you loosen 2-3 screws on the bottom and slide out the keyboard. You don't have to take the laptop apart more than you would during opening the RAM or HD access panels unlike in consumer craptops (hilariously, in the T450s/X450 accessing the RAM or HD has become a much more elaborate process than switching the keyboard during which you could break plastic pins :v:).

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Is there a dependable brand of laptop power supply? I'm sick of crawling every time I want to take it with me or plug it back in at my desk. My power supply is 19.5 V 9.2 A. The only place I've found the one that came with it is some online store I've never heard of, haven't found anything bad about them but I don't feel like it's worth $120.

I bought a cheap Anker branded power supply on Amazon for like, 30 bucks a few years ago and it has worked flawlessly on my Lenovo. YMMV :confused:

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 8, 2015

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So it's been a month or two now since I purchased a Thinkpad X220, and it's been a fantastic little workhorse. The docking station is great, being able to go from laptop to multi-screen desktop with ease is great, it's been a very nice user experience. My transition to Windows 8.1 has been good too, especially after installing Start8 and ModernMix. I was a Mac user for over 5 years, and I don't see myself going back soon.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hadlock posted:

People in the US do that all the time with DSLR camera equipment from Hong Kong/Singapore where it's cheaper there just because.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Looking for a laptop recommendation.

-Solid State Hard Drive (16+ gigs)
-Can stream 1080 video (the display doesn't need to be 1080, I would be streaming to another device)
-HDMI port would be great
-4 gigs of ram preferable, I'd consider 2
-No chromebooks
-Would prefer i3 or better, but barring that, something somewhat fast would be nice
-I would also be doing a lot of writing and internet browsing on it
-Would love a 15 inch screen, but I am used to working on a 13 inch screen so it wouldn't be a big issue.

I'd prefer to spend less than $500. Thoughts?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Benson Cunningham posted:

Looking for a laptop recommendation.

I'd prefer to spend less than $500. Thoughts?

Have you looked at the OP? How urgent is this purchase?

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Ok, I'm almost at my wit's end. Lenovo sales reps keep giving conflicting information on when the Thinkpad Yoga 15 will come with the Wacom active digitizer pen that's available on the 12". I was really keen on the 15 because I'm about to start into grad school again in GIS -- not super high-level, but enough that a large-ish monitor, at least 8 gigs ram, a SSD, and a digitizer for ArcGIS would have been really nice to have, I thought. Huge bonus that it was a flip-book that would make reading endless grad school PDFs not so awful. I can do the TPY 12, I guess, but 12" monitor seems like it will be really small to be looking at maps and doing a lot of document creation and manipulation. But then again, I speak just from a guessing standpoint, does anyone have any actual experience doing this stuff? Would a 12" be impossible?

My main question is if there is another 15" ultrabook/flipbook, like the TPY 15 that has a digitizer, and won't cost more that $1100?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Grundulum posted:

Have you looked at the OP? How urgent is this purchase?

I looked at the OP. I also noticed it hasn't been updated since March. Not very urgent.

T420 - no ssd
T430 - above 500
X220 - no ssd, 12 inch screen
X230 - closest, but over 500.

So when nothing fit I thought it was OK to ask the thread?

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 9, 2015

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The reason I asked about urgency is because there is a good used market for laptops in your price range, especially the T-series that are a couple of years old. You may be able to snag one that already has most of what you're looking for if you're willing to hang out and watch for deals. You may even be able to get it cheaply enough to add an SSD if it doesn't already have one in it.

By the way, 16 GB of SSD is next to nothing. It surely won't hold a modern Windows install. Unless you're going to run a lightweight Linux OS, consider 120 GB at a minimum. You can get a very good SSD for not so much money these days.

Edit to add: other people will know more than me, but I think it's unlikely that you'll find an HDMI port in your price range. I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised, though.

Edit 2: Looked at the Lenovo Outlet and didn't see anything below $500, but eBay has a whole mess of stuff if you're willing to go that route.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Grundulum posted:

The reason I asked about urgency is because there is a good used market for laptops in your price range, especially the T-series that are a couple of years old. You may be able to snag one that already has most of what you're looking for if you're willing to hang out and watch for deals. You may even be able to get it cheaply enough to add an SSD if it doesn't already have one in it.

By the way, 16 GB of SSD is next to nothing. It surely won't hold a modern Windows install. Unless you're going to run a lightweight Linux OS, consider 120 GB at a minimum. You can get a very good SSD for not so much money these days.

Edit to add: other people will know more than me, but I think it's unlikely that you'll find an HDMI port in your price range. I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised, though.

I can do micro-hdmi too. Thanks for the suggestions. Above 500, the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro is tempting (only 850 on the discount section of their student site), but I would really like to spend less than that.

As far as the SSD, is there an easy way to tell if it will fit a given laptop?