Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

RodShaft posted:

The Samsung one that gets opened whenever another one is like, "change your settings and it'll with no problem" just let's me look at what type of files exist. No directories or anything. When I plug my phone into my(old as piss) computer, the ram usage spikes and stays pegged not allowing me to move files. I've used it for nothing but burning cds and trying this, for probably a year. Reformatting a computer I don't use(I'd also have to back up files) just to move my internal storage download folder to my sd card download folder is insane. Why is this a thing. I'd think an sd card would be exactly where android would think downloaded files should go. Keep programs on internal and use the sd for files. Am I missing why this is a bad idea?

I think your storage issues will go away with a reset and card wipe. Getting your files backed up first is where I'd concentrate. IIRC, there is a USB driver (Kies) you need from Samsung in order to move files via USB.

If that fails, maybe you can use your file manager's "share" option to duplicate your files on cloud storage (Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, Amazon, etc.) and/or copy to your PC over wifi. Again, ES File Explorer is my preferred 3rd party file manager. Airdroid is supposed to be good now for on-PC phone management, but I haven't used it in over a year since I use ES and Splashtop

(It seems that SD cards are losing support in favor of on-board and cloud storage, but I'm old and still like SD cards and swappable batteries, too. Looks as if my options in those regards will be limited by the time I kill my Note 3 and need to upgrade.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

RVProfootballer posted:

I googled "chrome android download to sd card" and found:

Open a web page any page will do. Then press the button beside d home key to bring up settings. Select settings which will bring you to privacy and all then below content. Select content and near the end you will see default storage, press it and it will change to sd as your storage.

Does that not work? As for default behavior, you need to tell apps where to store stuff if you don't like the default. There shouldn't be any mystery to it: if you want Chrome to download stuff to your SD card, change that setting!

As for moving files to random locations on an SD card, with Android 5.0 that has been disallowed. Apps can only write to their own specific directory on an SD card, so that you don't get a garbage-filled SD card with random poo poo all over it when you uninstall an app. I don't know how any file explorers handle it because I don't have a phone with an SD card, but any of them should be able to write into a folder on the SD card that is specific to it. So if you use ES File Explorer, find the ES File Explorer folder on your SD card, and throw stuff into a Download subfolder in there. No idea if that works in practice, but that should work in theory.

With ES File Explorer, you go to Settings -- > Directory Settings --> Download Path and set the folder there. I have my DLs going to a folder I made in the SD Card. It doesn't have to be a subfolder of ES File Explorer. Some progs do work that way, like DoggCatcher episode enclosures on external SD are buried in Android/Data/com.snoggdoggler.blahblahblah.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tunga posted:

Settings -> Apps -> Tasker -> Battery -> Ignore optimisations
Thanks. I saw that button but didn't know what it did.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sinjang posted:

If anyone was wondering how to change Date Taken for old videos uploaded to Google Photos, so they don't default to Date Uploaded in the timeline, I found that after upload you can change the date at https://plus.google.com/photos/yourphotos and it will also change it in the new Photos. I was going mad trying to work out how to add Date Taken to old video metadata (it's impossible), but this is an easy fix for now.

Also, if you're looking for a tool to batch transfer Date Modified to Date Taken on photos so you can clean up your timeline, Exif Date Changer is pretty nifty.

Thanks!

Are we not able to mass delete with the new Photos? I know we can with Google+ Photos but...

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Long press lets you multiselect.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DemonMage posted:

Long press lets you multiselect.

Yeah, but I meant on the photos.google site...the G+ Photos site allows it but you'll be loading page by page and it can take forever.

Ah well...guess I'll just use the app. Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vinlaen posted:

What's the closest Android device to an iPhone camera + Nexus device? It looks like nothing quite exists.

I'd like something that I can root, but also have a good camera.

Nexus 6 is your only option but it's more comparable to the iPhone 6+.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Thanks!

Are we not able to mass delete with the new Photos? I know we can with Google+ Photos but...

Yes you can use ctrl and select, etc. That should select the photos you want then click the trash icon.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Vinlaen posted:

What's the closest Android device to an iPhone camera + Nexus device? It looks like nothing quite exists.

I'd like something that I can root, but also have a good camera.

The G4 has an excellent camera and will likely be rooted/rommable shortly if past history is any indication with LG.

The S6 has a fantastic camera but no root as of yet as far as I know.

N6 camera is only ok. Low light sucks. But it has the Nexus experience in spades.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, but I meant on the photos.google site...the G+ Photos site allows it but you'll be loading page by page and it can take forever.

Ah well...guess I'll just use the app. Thanks!

Each photo has a checkmark icon on it. You can click that on each picture and then delete them, or if the photos are all in order, select the first one, hold shift and select the last one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

The G4 has an excellent camera and will likely be rooted/rommable shortly if past history is any indication with LG.

The S6 has a fantastic camera but no root as of yet as far as I know.

N6 camera is only ok. Low light sucks. But it has the Nexus experience in spades.

Don't buy phones intending to completely replace or break the software first thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Each photo has a checkmark icon on it. You can click that on each picture and then delete them, or if the photos are all in order, select the first one, hold shift and select the last one.

This worked. Thanks!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Great work on that translation guys! :downsbravo:

Edit: oh come on.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 5, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Shai-Hulud posted:

What device is this?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

What device is this?

Looks like the Lenovo Ideapads based on the bottom bezel. It rotates a physical keyboard around!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2. Their pretty decent. A lot better than the first Yoga tablets.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Endless Mike posted:

Don't buy phones intending to completely replace or break the software first thing.

The poster wanted a rootable phone with a good camera and I tried to provide a list of all phones that came close to that criteria.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Anyone else testing Project Fi? Maybe we should create a separate thread.

I've been using it for three days, and so far so good. Tomorrow I will take it on a work trip (airline pilot) for four days, 9 different cities and small towns, including Toronto. We'll see how it handles carrier switching and international roaming. I will bring my T-Mobile iPhone 5 to compare reception.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I just purchased an LG G4 and I think my NFC chip is not working. Anyone here bought one? Does yours work?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Selling my 2013 GSM Moto X in SA Mart if anyone is interested. Loved the phone but didn't use it too long because I decided I wanted a bigger screen.

Edit: bigger, I wanted a bigger screen

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 6, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The lack of a screen is the one shortcoming of the Moto X. All output is via haptic feedback.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thermopyle posted:

The lack of a screen is the one shortcoming of the Moto X. All output is via haptic feedback.

lol thank you, I edited :)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Captain Yossarian posted:

lol thank you, I edited :)

Damnit, I should have quoted. Now my post makes me look like a fool!

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Since the latest update to my Moto G a few days ago, I can't send or receive MMS messages from the stock messaging app. All that appears is a message like the one below when sending, or an indicator saying "Message not downloaded" when receiving. When I tap the icon, all that happens is my messenger opens up.

I've cleared the messenger's cache and rebooted. Hasn't helped.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

Shai-Hulud posted:

Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2. Their pretty decent. A lot better than the first Yoga tablets.

Great post combo.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Angry Boat posted:

Since the latest update to my Moto G a few days ago, I can't send or receive MMS messages from the stock messaging app. All that appears is a message like the one below when sending, or an indicator saying "Message not downloaded" when receiving. When I tap the icon, all that happens is my messenger opens up.

Have you double-checked your APN settings?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Angry Boat posted:

Not sure how you'd do it if you're not rooted, but you need to delete the messaging database. Something glitched and there's a message stuck in the outbox. It's happened to me on stock and on CM before, but not recently. Factory reset is the awkward option.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Good news: I got my Project Fi invite.

Bad news: I am waiting for the next Nexus device.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I've never heard of this. I would reflash the stock firmware and see if it persists. You could even try an old version just to check.

It looks like switching to 2G solves the problem. I found a forum thread with a lot of complaints about this issue in this thread. It's a work-around, not a fix so...I don't know. Maybe it will resolve itself when I move countries in a month or so.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Variable_H posted:

Great post combo.

Goddamn you autocorrect :argh:

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

nocal posted:

Good news: I got my Project Fi invite.

Bad news: I am waiting for the next Nexus device.

You and me both. My Nexus 5 is just fine for now.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Jesus, move off the ICS launcher already

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Tangentially related to Android, anyone have issues with their Google Music Manager on Mac recently? It was plugging away adding new stuff to my Google Music that I've added to the directory it's watching and now I can't login to it. It accepts my login and sends the text for two-factor authentication. I input the correct code and am brought to a screen saying that Google Music Manager can't connect to the internet. I tried reinstalling and still the same issue. I have a roadtrip this afternoon and really wanted to get some new music added prior. Any ideas?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Tangentially related to Android, anyone have issues with their Google Music Manager on Mac recently? It was plugging away adding new stuff to my Google Music that I've added to the directory it's watching and now I can't login to it. It accepts my login and sends the text for two-factor authentication. I input the correct code and am brought to a screen saying that Google Music Manager can't connect to the internet. I tried reinstalling and still the same issue. I have a roadtrip this afternoon and really wanted to get some new music added prior. Any ideas?

Use the website and the accompanying extension to do it?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Use the website and the accompanying extension to do it?

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the extension. Will check that out!

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

b0nes posted:

I just purchased an LG G4 and I think my NFC chip is not working. Anyone here bought one? Does yours work?

I have the G4 and mine works fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the extension. Will check that out!

I tried to link it but couldn't find it in searching. I think when you first try to upload it will send you to it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I tried to link it but couldn't find it in searching. I think when you first try to upload it will send you to it.

Yes, you need to go through and try to add from the web interface and at the last moment it prompts you to install. This worked great, thanks!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Project Fi owns balls. I've used it for four days in Georgia and it was constant LTE on T-Mobile. Today I am in Panama City and while my T-Mobile iPhone has no reception, my Fi Nexus 6 has 4 bars of 3g on Spring's network. Tomorrow I'll try it in Virginia and the day after in Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Animal posted:

Project Fi owns balls. I've used it for four days in Georgia and it was constant LTE on T-Mobile. Today I am in Panama City and while my T-Mobile iPhone has no reception, my Fi Nexus 6 has 4 bars of 3g on Spring's network. Tomorrow I'll try it in Virginia and the day after in Toronto.

3G on Sprint may as well be no reception, honestly.