Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Well. Jotaro could only do it for like 1-2 seconds at that point. DIO has 5 seconds now, and then he goes super saiyan and it jumps to 9, which is enough to beat pretty much anyone else in JoJos unless they can move during the time stops like Jotaro

The only reason why Jotaro even beat DIO was because he was really loving crafty with his time stop. DIO spends most of the frozen time being his own fabulous hypeman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Darko posted:

What the gently caress did beating Dio heal Jotaro's mom for, anyway? Him dying didn't make people's stands go away. I think the whole adventure was a setup by Jotaro's mom now.
My unconfirmed, lack-of-basis theory is that Jotaro and Joseph learned how to properly manifest their Stands during their adventure, so they were able to keep them. Since Holly couldn't hone her Stand, it disappeared altogether.

I guess Josuke was so inspired by the mysterious Pompadour Wielder that his spirit grew strong enough to keep Crazy Diamond after DIO died.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Well. Jotaro could only do it for like 1-2 seconds at that point. DIO has 5 seconds now, and then he goes super saiyan and it jumps to 9, which is enough to beat pretty much anyone else in JoJos unless they can move during the time stops like Jotaro

No he was already SSJ hence the gold glow. He went USSJ when he drank Joseph.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I really hope they copy the OVA's scenario for Polnareff instead of the manga's.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

No he was already SSJ hence the gold glow. He went USSJ when he drank Joseph.

Call me Super DIO

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

arc 6 is when dio achieves the level of super saiyan god

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Pomp posted:

I have opinions about this question but to go deeper would spoil some stuff that happens with stands later on in the series.
Pomp you never said what you meant about this. What are your thoughts on stand sex/masturbation?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Hypocrisy posted:

I really hope they copy the OVA's scenario for Polnareff instead of the manga's.

What do you mean? In the OVA, I only remember Polnareff stabbing Dio in the head, allowing Jotaro to knock him away.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's stands later on that have their own personalities, and others that have an unusual degree of autonomy and sentience separate from their user. Whenever someone brings up stand loving, the first thing that runs my head is these guys, if they could give consent and if they can even qualify as a part of yourself anymore instead of some sort of symbiotic being.

Now that I think about it, Anubis and Empress existed, so probably not spoilers I guess.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Hazamada or whatever in part 4 did try to bang Surface, so the idea of stand-loving is technically brought up in canon

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Part 8's boss stand's power will be irresistible sex drive. Stand name is King Dong.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Fat_Cow posted:

DIO needed to make some budget cuts to get that flying thing

Ko-Koichi?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The only reason why Jotaro even beat DIO was because he was really loving crafty with his time stop. DIO spends most of the frozen time being his own fabulous hypeman.

Yeah this was my favourite part of that fight. If Jotaro had tried to go all out with the time stop as soon as he could do it he would've lost.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What do you mean? In the OVA, I only remember Polnareff stabbing Dio in the head, allowing Jotaro to knock him away.

Yeah. In the OVA Polnareff stabbing Dio distracts him so Jotaro can punch him up close. In the manga Polnareff doesn't even get the assist. He actually gets Jotaro is trouble since Jotaro has to save him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

hatty posted:

Ko-Koichi?
This is it.

Part 4 confirmed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Worst Girl posted:

My unconfirmed, lack-of-basis theory is that Jotaro and Joseph learned how to properly manifest their Stands during their adventure, so they were able to keep them. Since Holly couldn't hone her Stand, it disappeared altogether.

I guess Josuke was so inspired by the mysterious Pompadour Wielder that his spirit grew strong enough to keep Crazy Diamond after DIO died.

Jotaro doesn't master Star Platinum until he's out of his coma. It loses all of its durability, changes appearance but gets a flat 5 second time stop. It's technically a different stand though if you want to nit pick it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

slightly unrelated to jojo, but i was at a local comic store and picked up baoh. however, its kinda hosed up in that it has part 1 split up into 6 single issue comic books, and part 2 is a typical graphic novel sized manga. is there a reason why it was released this way stateside?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aurain posted:

Jotaro doesn't master Star Platinum until he's out of his coma. It loses all of its durability, changes appearance but gets a flat 5 second time stop. It's technically a different stand though if you want to nit pick it.

Isn't his time stop in Part 4 already a flat 5 seconds?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

ChaosArgate posted:

Isn't his time stop in Part 4 already a flat 5 seconds?

No, it's only 2 seconds max.

Aurain posted:

I still don't understand this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He just comes out of his coma with SPTW for some reason. He has rad thigh highs. That's about all there is to it.

His time stop has deteriorated to 1 second in DiU too.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's already SPTW in Part 4.

I'm pretty sure Araki's artstyle is what changed, not Star Platinum. Jotaro looks a lot prettier and less cylinderhead in Part 6.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Aurora posted:

I'm pretty sure Araki's artstyle is what changed, not Star Platinum. Jotaro looks a lot prettier and less cylinderhead in Part 6.

A hilarious side effect of Arakis changing style is that Jotoro looks markedly younger in every arc despite aging 25 years between part 3 and part 6

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Aurora posted:

It's not. It's very clearly defined in Stone Ocean.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RatHat posted:

Yeah this was my favourite part of that fight. If Jotaro had tried to go all out with the time stop as soon as he could do it he would've lost.

When was he able to do it?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

standard owl posted:

Hazamada or whatever in part 4 did try to bang Surface, so the idea of stand-loving is technically brought up in canon

I forgot that happened. Didn't his Stand poo poo talk him the whole time?

Part 4 is so good. :allears:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Aurain posted:

It's not. It's very clearly defined in Stone Ocean.

Uhhh yeah pretty sure you're just bullshitting at this point. It both doesn't really look that different and can do the same poo poo, so...

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah, I read through part 6, like, nine months ago, maybe, and I don't remember anything like SPTW.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Aurora posted:

Uhhh yeah pretty sure you're just bullshitting at this point. It both doesn't really look that different and can do the same poo poo, so...

Looks the same to me :shrug:, Only thing I could find is that SPTW looks more slender which is probably from the art style evolution

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
So I'm talking with a friend of mine about someone they know who mentioned that whole "I can't get into JoJo because the art style is ugly" thing and I just don't understand. It's hyper-realism. They look like human beings except ridiculously buff and good-looking. I can get not being into the super-buff style earlier on, and Phantom Blood has some wonkiness to it at first, or maybe you prefer things that are more stylized, or even if the same-face syndrome later on really bothers you.

But how can you honestly look at a shot like this

And think, "That's ugly." His eyes don't take up half of his head but they're still "big" without looking stupid. He has a distinct chin, his hair is very nicely done and looks like actual hair, he has a nose, a real human-looking nose, and if you look at Dio from the same shot, his side profile gives him a distinct nose instead of a weird snout thing, the shadowing and detail is fantastic...I could go on! I love Araki's close up shots because they're usually so well done and I just don't understand how deep someone has to be in anime hell to look at a shot like that and think "this looks too much like actual people to look nice to me."

Where is that rate my face pic that compares Joseph to the average anime face because that's basically how I feel right now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Huh, some guy on /v/ just pointed out why Kars could pretty solidly beat DIO.

Turns out having the ripple makes you pretty good against vampires, and Kars had an insanely strong ripple at the end of Battle Tendency.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ekusukariba posted:

Looks the same to me :shrug:, Only thing I could find is that SPTW looks more slender which is probably from the art style evolution

No but you see it's called STAR PLATINUM THE WORLD by a stupid rear end volume endpage so therefore

Please disregard that Jotaro said Star Platinum The World in Part 4 so my argument makes sense

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Huh, some guy on /v/ just pointed out why Kars could pretty solidly beat DIO.

Turns out having the ripple makes you pretty good against vampires, and Kars had an insanely strong ripple at the end of Battle Tendency.

Theoretically he could also pretty solidly beat Joseph and we saw how that turned out.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Doesn't Jotaro usually say "Star Platinum The World" when he wants to specifically pull out a time stop and not just ghost punch or am I misremembering things?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

BaDandy posted:

Doesn't Jotaro usually say "Star Platinum The World" when he wants to specifically pull out a time stop and not just ghost punch or am I misremembering things?

No Star Platinum The World is a different stand get your poo poo straight.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Aurain posted:

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I still don't understand this.

"Durability" confuses a lot of people because it's a very ambiguous translation of 持続力, but I personally feel it would be more appropriate to call it something like "continuation" (the Jojo Project scans used this), or "duration". It states how long a stand or certain effects of a stand can remain active, so Durability A on original Star Platinum is a measure of how long Jotaro can keep Star Platinum out and punching stuff, while Durability E on Star Platinum - The World is a measure of how long Jotaro can use its effect to stop time (not very long).

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Daxing Dan posted:

"Durability" confuses a lot of people because it's a very ambiguous translation of 持続力, but I personally feel it would be more appropriate to call it something like "continuation" (the Jojo Project scans used this), or "duration". It states how long a stand or certain effects of a stand can remain active, so Durability A on original Star Platinum is a measure of how long Jotaro can keep Star Platinum out and punching stuff, while Durability E on Star Platinum - The World is a measure of how long Jotaro can use its effect to stop time (not very long).

So, more accurately, that endpage is describing Star Platinum's "The World" ability, rather than describing the stand as a whole, leading to everyone becoming super confused about Star Platinum post Starudust Crusaders. Cool.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Theoretically he could also pretty solidly beat Joseph and we saw how that turned out.

To be fair, Joseph had a previously established plot device in his pocket.

I mean that in a non-bad way, as a heads up.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Aurora posted:

So, more accurately, that endpage is describing Star Platinum's "The World" ability, rather than describing the stand as a whole, leading to everyone becoming super confused about Star Platinum post Starudust Crusaders. Cool.

Yes, depending on how Araki is feeling at the time, a stand's durability can apply to either the stand as a whole or to just its "special effects". It's very confusing.
e: It's obviously not describing just the "The World" ability since the time stop itself obviously doesn't have any power or precision to speak of.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Daxing Dan posted:

Yes, depending on how Araki is feeling at the time, a stand's durability can apply to either the stand as a whole or to just its "special effects". It's very confusing.
e: It's obviously not describing just the "The World" ability since the time stop itself obviously doesn't have any power or precision to speak of.

No, I think it is, because it allows the user to do a lot of poo poo to the opponent. It's basically overpowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Aurora posted:

What's with the pissbaby attitude, though?

You can disagree all you want, especially when it comes to terms of phrasing and whether or not it's artstyle changes, but no need to be all petulant about it, especially when Araki made an effort to distinguish, regardless of whether or not you like or agree with it.