Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Part 5 has a lot of really drat good fights, actually. Off the top of my head, the Train Battle, White Album, Bruno vs. King Crimson, King Crimson vs. Metallica and Oasis and Green Day are all hella sick and up there among the best JoJo fights of them all.

As excited as I am for a Part 4 anime, I'm more excited that it'll lead to a Part 5 anime since those fights are going to be great when animated, as well as finally getting a decent translation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is it accurate that Araki didn't make Fugo have to fight Giorno's group because he found the idea of a traitor disgusting? They have that listed on Fugo's JJBA wiki page.

I heard that he had Fugo leave the group because he was having trouble figuring out how to work his stand into fights, because it was too powerful.

But the only trivia about Fugo on the wiki that has any citation is "According to Araki, Fugo actually wears a thong." so....

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Part V I'd say has a great first and second act. It's the third act where it starts to fall apart for me. The early chapters with Giorno trying to fit in with Bruno's gang as they go treasure hunting are great, and the assassination squad going rogue provided a lot of memorable villains with great fights. After Bruno's brush with King Crimson and Doppio's fight with Nero though, the fights and the bad guys seem to go downhill - though to Araki's credit they remain creative.

I think where it really went wrong was when Silver Chariot Requiem showed up. At that point everything just stopped making sense.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Aurain posted:

the Kakyoin fisting scene

Four words that, when separate, mean nothing

But together form a mental missile of :stare:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Silver2195 posted:

I think where it really went wrong was when Silver Chariot Requiem showed up. At that point everything just stopped making sense.

Is anyone else sad at the realization that Polnareff no longer has Silver Chariot and is thus missing a very big piece of his soul? :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Begemot posted:

But the only trivia about Fugo on the wiki that has any citation is "According to Araki, Fugo actually wears a thong." so....

Daaaaamn

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm pretty sure Araki is either trying to turn guys who read his manga gay or just ended up making a really awesome shoujo manga that ended up becoming shounen somehow.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Beautiful.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is it accurate that Araki didn't make Fugo have to fight Giorno's group because he found the idea of a traitor disgusting? They have that listed on Fugo's JJBA wiki page.

Apparently he left this postscript in one of the volumes. Though it seems like the thought of having Fugo betray the others was less disgusting to him and more like just a huge bummer.

Araki posted:

Also, i can’t ignore the fact that Giorno was probably the one who should have killed Fugo and i was sure that something like that might have disappointed my young readers.

And because it would make Giorno too much of a stone cold killer?

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Begemot posted:

I heard that he had Fugo leave the group because he was having trouble figuring out how to work his stand into fights, because it was too powerful.

I have seen this a lot to and it always seemed odd to me since Giorno pretty explicitly beats Purple Haze in the only fight it's in. And he's fighting another guy at the same time. I feel like people just forget it's massive weakness that is sunlight. Also I have never seen a source just a lot of "Araki said".

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

standard owl posted:

And because it would make Giorno too much of a stone cold killer?

isn't giorno supposed to be one of the most morally ambiguous jojos anyways. well, when translated well.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I agree, but I'm not the one writing a series aimed at children v:v:v

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s58x4dEA_uA

The internet was made for videos like this.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have it saved somewhere but somebody on tumblr translated the Italian version of a little afterword that was at the end of VA and basically the prospect of Giorno having to fight a traitor and having it be Fugo was getting to him too much, considering that things kept getting nastier and nastier, so he just decided to make Fugo leave, and then recommends reading PHF.

Let me see if I can find it again and add it in to my post.

Edit: Here it is. Make of it what you will, but it's a nice read and Araki is really sweet, gosh. :3:

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 7, 2015

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Huh, that's interesting. So Fugo was largely written out because Araki couldn't bring himself to go through with his original plan, and not because he felt he was overpowered.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
beyond that, fugo being a traitor would've been pretty lame, giorno already solved how to beat purple haze's poison so all that would happen is him doing it again and then tearfully beating him to death after fugo poisoned abbachio or something

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

isn't giorno supposed to be one of the most morally ambiguous jojos anyways. well, when translated well.

Yeah from what I remember hearing, he's a lot more Dio with some Jonathan then the other way around

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Huh, that's interesting. So Fugo was largely written out because Araki couldn't bring himself to go through with his original plan, and not because he felt he was overpowered.

I do like how they sorta work the traitor thing into ASB with the Fugo dlc

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s58x4dEA_uA

The internet was made for videos like this.

I'm convinced that this is what he thinks "casual" means. :colbert:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ManlyGrunting posted:

Bro has pretty different connotations though: it implies familiarity and parity instead of admiration. I don't know any Italian though and I can't think of a English equivalent off the top of my head: sadly we can't go the Dragon Quest 8 route and use "guv".

There simply isn't an English equivalent that draws such a close distinction. English is a much more egalitarian language than Japanese, and there isn't the same level of exactness when it comes to words and grammar expressing hierarchy; hell, the closest thing we have to "senpai" is probably "alpha", and that just doesn't work for so many reasons. Ultimately, some of the exact meaning of individual words will be lost unavoidably, and it's the job of a good translator to make up this gap with good word choices and subtext that preserve these things holistically.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

BaDandy posted:

I hope these edits never stop.

Could someone get the original version of this and replace Joseph with the running fat girl in the yellow jacket?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder how Do survived 100 years without blood. Didn't Cars as the Ultimate Lifeform need to eat at least once a year?

I also wonder if Jotaro could see Dio throwing that knife at Joseph. That'd be a pretty traumatic way to learn his new power.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Can't post this in the anime thread so here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUei7Uku0s0

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder how Do survived 100 years without blood. Didn't Cars as the Ultimate Lifeform need to eat at least once a year?

By his sheer will to live on anyway just to spite Fate, probably

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I also wonder if Jotaro could see Dio throwing that knife at Joseph. That'd be a pretty traumatic way to learn his new power.

Cars spent millennia without food when he was a statue. Dio might have a stasis mode as well.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Saw this and figured i should post it http://a.pomf.se/zrhivb.webm

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It'd be hilarious if during a punch exchange just outta nowhere The World extends his finger.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I've been slowly catching up with this season after kinda just losing interest after they get to Egypt and a whole new band of minions is introduced, and what the gently caress at this guy's super powered video game skills. Like, I just can't. It's a loving two part episode too. There's going to be at least one more take on 'can press a button really fast'. Bring back the dog. I will watch him scream and run away for half a season over this garbage.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kater posted:

I've been slowly catching up with this season after kinda just losing interest after they get to Egypt and a whole new band of minions is introduced, and what the gently caress at this guy's super powered video game skills. Like, I just can't. It's a loving two part episode too. There's going to be at least one more take on 'can press a button really fast'. Bring back the dog. I will watch him scream and run away for half a season over this garbage.

Source your quotes.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I, too, am discouraged from having fun by change.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If you've made it to Terrence, then feel good knowing there are no more slow paced battles after that, I guess.

Ekusukariba posted:

Saw this and figured i should post it http://a.pomf.se/zrhivb.webm

I never get tired of this. Wish it used Crazy Diamond's ASB cry, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 7, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My only real problem with Terrence is his placement, sandwiched between two of the more brutal fights in Part 3. As somebody said in the anime thread, "I like how Jotaro, Joseph, and Kakyoin get invited downstairs to play video games while Avdol, Polnareff, and Iggy are left to contend with the invisible hell orb demon." Hol Horse and Boingo served as a pretty good closer on the comedy battles, so I think Terrence should've been replaced with someone more dangerous.

There's also that he's soon enough after Daniel to feel like a retread, though he really isn't if you play close attention.

Basically I think a video game stand battle would've felt way more at home in Part 4. Or Part 8.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Alternatively, I like the idea of Dio surfacing after a hundred years underwater to have Terrence explain video games to him.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Seafood posted:

Basically I think a video game stand battle would've felt way more at home in Part 4. Or Part 8.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Cooldown time.
Or that.

I remember reading in Part 4 or 6 somewhere that it takes a lot of you to stop time, which is why five seconds is routinely held up as the upper human limit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think jotaro comments at some point that it's difficult for him to keep it up as much as he could before due to getting older and probably more fatigued in general from fighting

something like that, at least

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i think jotaro comments at some point that it's difficult for him to keep it up as much as he could before due to getting older and probably more fatigued in general from fighting

something like that, at least

Jotaro says something like he *hasn't* been fighting as much so his ability atrophied a bit, I think.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Either way, it's not like you just snap your fingers and stop time. There's definitely an exertion component, like a muscle. Dio couldn't always stop time for five full seconds, he had to work up to it slowly over a period of months.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

Jotaro says something like he *hasn't* been fighting as much so his ability atrophied a bit, I think.

You just can't get swole writing theses and research grants :(

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Either way, it's not like you just snap your fingers and stop time. There's definitely an exertion component, like a muscle. Dio couldn't always stop time for five full seconds, he had to work up to it slowly over a period of months.

He even says as much in the anime so far, and he hints that it's also tied to taking over jons body fully. It's sum kinda retard video game logic to think that something with a stated x second limit could just be spammed willy nilly, though to be fair hierophant green spams the poo poo out of emerald splash all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Remember that time giorno showed how cool he was by drinking abbacchio's piss

Good times