Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ramadu posted:

What comics were Peter and Carol dating in? I honestly don't remember that at all.

It was like one issue of Avengers and one of Ms Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Read the first issue of Renew Your Vows.

It's :mediocre:

That's an improvement over most of Slott's offerings recently, but still.

The Regent is another in the line of 'generic villain that's uberpowerful' that Slott is so fond of. The question of how the everloving hell managed to take out the entire line-up of X-Men (even if he managed to get the powers of a bunch of street-level heroes in advance)? I mean if he had the X-Men's powers, than I could see him taking the Avengers...maybe, but how'd he get those powers in the first place? Also why didn't he just use Xavier's mental powers to try and mind control the Avengers? Now I guess that's meant to be a mystery that will be addressed later, but right now he's got the charisma of a sack of potatoes and I don't give a gently caress. Hell, knowing Slott he'll probably either provide a crappy explanation or never bother. Also what's his motivation? Just power for the sake of power? Who's the Baron he's usurping, and shouldn't Doom at least take an interest one of his appointees being overthrown? Give us something to work with other than 'Generic Uberpowerful Bad Guy No. 6', dammit.

It seems like every time he's fighting a villain now it has to be THE MOST DANGEROUS VILLAIN EVER-but considering that he might just be wrapping up on the title, I guess he could be trying to leave as much of an impact on the franchise before someone else comes in.

Also was it me or was Venom in this for more like Gargan than Brock, in both behaviour and appearance? Especially with the whole threatening a baby thing. When they said it was 'the last Eddie Brock story' I figured that they'd make him sound like Eddie Brock.

The Peter/MJ banter was alright. Certainly better than she's been previously written since probably OMD and way ahead of the nadir of the Byrne/Mackie era. But considering the way this book has been trumpeted, 'alright' is kind of below par.

Also, I suspect they'll explain Peter could have stopped the Regent before he became uberpowerful but he was too busy with his family or some crap like that. Because Dan Slott is the real reason why we can't have nice things.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
That issue was another shinning example of how Dan Slott is okay at big ideas, but absolutely loving awful at execution. This is Battleworld, and they could have used any single villain they wanted in Renew Your Vowels but they come up with another Dan Slott special: A nameless nobody villain that exists for one arc, is apparently the strongest cosmic being in the whole universe, and only Spider-Man can stop him.

I mean surely there was someone in the Spider-Man mythos already that Slott could have used without having him randomly chump the X-Men.

It's not even really worth buying, there's much better Marvel books out this week. It was a whole lot of hype but it's still Dan Slott.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Huh. That reminds me of that JLA Classified arc Slott did years ago, about the guy who had a huge number of alternate selves that he used to pursue every possible opportunity, and how he chumped the JLA.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Flameingblack posted:

That issue was another shinning example of how Dan Slott is okay at big ideas, but absolutely loving awful at execution. This is Battleworld, and they could have used any single villain they wanted in Renew Your Vowels but they come up with another Dan Slott special: A nameless nobody villain that exists for one arc, is apparently the strongest cosmic being in the whole universe, and only Spider-Man can stop him.

I mean surely there was someone in the Spider-Man mythos already that Slott could have used without having him randomly chump the X-Men.

It's not even really worth buying, there's much better Marvel books out this week. It was a whole lot of hype but it's still Dan Slott.

They probably could have slotted loving Onslaught in there and it's have roughly the same effect (hell, the original Onslaught saga took place right before the birth of Baby May). If they just swapped some stuff around (again, this is Battleworld), that would have worked perfectly fine, albeit without indulging Dan Slott's desperate desire to fling characters at the Spider-Man mythos in the hope one sticks (it's why I'd wager he created Annie instead of reusing May-because if the marriage is coming back an they're adding kid, he'll finally have created a character that's liable to stick around for the foreseeable future after he leaves. Also I think he hates Tom DeFalco).

Also: I just realised that the calendar in the Parker's apart is on the 1st of May.

And you can see Black Widow's arm in that panel of the meeting room, right before the next page where they talk about her going missing. Hell, you can see her quite clearly in the preview they posted but they cropped her out of the final issue (not well enough, though):

And later appears behind Cap in the Quinjet, where he refers to her as 'Jen' despite quite clearly not being She-Hulk.

What the hell are the Spider-Editors even doing to justify their paychecks? Because apparently it's not editing the loving books.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Meanwhile, on books that are actually good, Spiral continues to be pretty good stuff. Nice quick interaction with Anna as well that brings up some simple but still interesting moral questions.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I didn't pick up Renew Your Vows, but that Avengers page is baffling. I mean, I'm always down for a Spitfire appearance (though that could be supposed to be Firestar, for all I know), but white Vision? Laying aside the movie synergy, is anyone clamouring for a return to John Byrne's 'beep-boop i am a robot' version?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Gaz-L posted:

I didn't pick up Renew Your Vows, but that Avengers page is baffling. I mean, I'm always down for a Spitfire appearance (though that could be supposed to be Firestar, for all I know), but white Vision? Laying aside the movie synergy, is anyone clamouring for a return to John Byrne's 'beep-boop i am a robot' version?

Well, isn't it set in the Nineties or whatever?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gaz-L posted:

(Though that could be supposed to be Firestar, for all I know),

It's Firestar, the New Warriors are at the meeting as well as Avengers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

It's Firestar, the New Warriors are at the meeting as well as Avengers.

Booooo, she should at least be wearing a :krad: pleather jacket over her costume, then.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I liked Spider-Woman. The idea of a little uptown hamlet that's dedicated to "supervillainy widows" is kind of clever, and Jess's reaction was nice.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Renew Your Vows... :yikes:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know Ultimate Jessica Drew is likely gone forever, but I kinda wish there'd been an Ultimate Spider-Women a la the 616 Peter meets Miles book, if only for 616 Drew's reaction to Ultimate Drew explaining her origin.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I know Ultimate Jessica Drew is likely gone forever, but I kinda wish there'd been an Ultimate Spider-Women a la the 616 Peter meets Miles book, if only for 616 Drew's reaction to Ultimate Drew explaining her origin.

Ideally with regular Pete also hanging out and facepalming when she explains the clone thing.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to see Miles pop up so prominently in Secret Wars itself this week. And acknowledging that he and Peter know one another.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I gave the first issue of Renew Your Vows a read against my better judgement. I should like...not do that in the future. It wasn't as awful as some of Slott's other stuff, but it's been the most mediocre, boring, and forgettable of the Secret Wars tie ins that I've read so far.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm so glad I'm following this thread or else I would've picked up Renew Your Vows today. Ugh.

In happier news, GrGwoot has a good cover (and a good issue).

Anyone know what's up with the Gwen Stacy-based covers?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm so glad I'm following this thread or else I would've picked up Renew Your Vows today. Ugh.

In happier news, GrGwoot has a good cover (and a good issue).

Anyone know what's up with the Gwen Stacy-based covers?

She's the flavour of the month right now?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

She's the flavour of the month right now?

Ah. :v: Haven't picked up comics in a few years so I didn't know that was a thing.

Interesting. Thanks!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
And now that Renew Your Vows has left a sour taste in everyone's mouth Marvel can say, welp I guess people don't want a married Peter and they've buried it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Peter and family stuff was the best part of it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To fair, that is only here.

For reasons I don't understand, most other comic boards loving love Dan.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlestheHammer posted:

To fair, that is only here.

For reasons I don't understand, most other comic boards loving love Dan.

It's like I always say, we're being slowly digested by an amoral universe.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be even more fair, I am basing this off comic book resources, which tends to trend a bit sycophantic. Especially when something is ongoing.

But I only read it when Dan's run started, so I don't know if that is common or what.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

It's like I always say, we're being slowly digested by an amoral universe.

Naw, I'm pretty sure we started in an amoral universe, now we're slowly being digested by one that's actively cruel.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Naw, I'm pretty sure we started in an amoral universe, now we're slowly being digested by one that's actively cruel.

I'd disagree but then again Slott has been on Amazing for five years, time during which there's been two big "musical chair" style switch up of authors so clearly the universe is getting more cruel.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
How is Spider-Verse #1?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pretty awesome, go get it. Basically spider sense is telling spider-people who they truly were but they can't make sense of it and are trying to figure out what's going on while Osborn, Mayor of NYC, is doing some shady stuff.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The stuff with Spider Gwen in it is really good, too.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Spider-Gwen and Silk were amazing this week. Just loving stellar stuff.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Silk is amazing. Easily the issue of the week for me.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

notthegoatseguy posted:

Does Jameson still hate Spider-Man in continuity?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

Does Jameson still hate Spider-Man in continuity?

Pretty sure he does. Though this comic is really helping his case.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I still can't believe how great the book is considering where she came from.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I still can't believe how great the book is considering where she came from.

It's pretty good evidence of the "no bad characters, just bad writers" argument.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheJoker138 posted:

It's pretty good evidence of the "no bad characters, just bad writers" argument.

It also applies to the idea of a good character, cuz fuuuuuuuck Amazing Spider-man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheJoker138 posted:

Something something Jubilee something something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Jubilee's okay. The only truly bad characters are Deathstroke and Daken.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

The worst character was Heatstroke.

"You damned villains haven't hydrated properly, that that will be your doooooom!" :doom:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

TwoPair posted:

Slade was cool, at least.

Daken, yeah, he's pretty irredeemable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It was kind of a neat inversion to have Daken basically be a male version of a femme fatale. For like ten minutes, then it wore out fast.

• Locked thread