Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Antares posted:

by far one of the most annoying bugs is the way your mutagens are calculated incorrectly every time you reload. you have to unsocket them, find them in a random place in an unsorted blob of identical icons, and resocket them. every. loving. time.

At least make them stack ffs :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Antares posted:

by far one of the most annoying bugs is the way your mutagens are calculated incorrectly every time you reload. you have to unsocket them, find them in a random place in an unsorted blob of identical icons, and resocket them. every. loving. time.

This happens?! :psyduck:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I played through the entire game not knowing about that bug. Smh

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

yeah. since i've heard about it i've noticed it 100% of the time. at lv13-18 it's cost me ~100DPS and ~20% intensity

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Antares posted:

yeah. since i've heard about it i've noticed it 100% of the time. at lv13-18 it's cost me ~100DPS and ~20% intensity

I've played at least 20hrs of my 42hr gametime with the same mutagens (greater blue and less red) and never realised.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
So do we know if the Veles runes properly give +Intensity? It doesn't show an outright increase in the character sheet at least.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

This is the first I heard of it and by the end of the game I still ended up with over 2k silver sword DPS. Nothing really ever stood a chance.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

So do we know if the Veles runes properly give +Intensity? It doesn't show an outright increase in the character sheet at least.

That depends what intensirty means - is it a dmg or time thing? Or both?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lambert quest question: after the Thread quest, does he ever come back during the game for anything? For the record I told him not to kill the dude. .

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

MinibarMatchman posted:

Lambert quest question: after the Thread quest, does he ever come back during the game for anything? For the record I told him not to kill the dude. .

Yes. You're still okay.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

CVagts posted:

Also, HOLY poo poo the battle at Kaer Morhen was great. If the game has any moments better than that and the Isle of Mists ending, I don't know how I'll take it.

Just you wait dude, the follow up is real real good.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Where the hell are all the nekker warriors at? Ive only seen a few at a cave in velen and a quest in skrellige and i need their hearts.

Pole of Mars
Aug 19, 2008

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom
I started getting a weird bug after the patch where the day/night cycle will freeze in place and not change whatever the time of day it is. I found that it would revert back to normal after a cutscene.

Anybody else get that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Certain quests (mostly story ones specifically) lock the time of day when you're in mid-quest for story preservation reasons and only unlock it when you finish them, but usually that only happens at points where you can't run off and do something else while the day is frozen in place so :shrug:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I have a greater rune that gives me +0 attack power.

:thumbsup:

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
I just finished the game. I think that was one of the best I played in a long time. Like everyone's been saying, the facial animations were really well done and added a lot to the characters. They managed to have an open world game with an interesting open world as well, which after playing Skyrim and the Ubisoft stuff, I really appreciate, especially considering its size. The quests were all pretty fun as well, though I'll admit sidequests got a little tedious near the end. I don't think I'll play through again, since it took me about 100 hours, but I'm more than satisfied with it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone know the name of the track that plays during the Carnal Sins boss fight?

This one: SPOILERS!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

nickmeister posted:

Okay, mostly play on the weekends, so I'm only about ten hours in (mostly spent side-questing). What's up with parry and why does the Witcher flinch and take damage every time I do it? Doesn't seem to matter what I do it against, whether it's a sword, ax, or wolf's jaws. Is it like the 2nd game where I have to upgrade an ability before it's actually useful?

Something that tripped me up when I started out: remember that to parry you have to press the button and hold it down through the enemy attack. I was just tapping the parry button and it took me a while to get the muscle memory right even though I knew what I was supposed to do.

Heavy attacks are unblockable though. You can see heavy attacks by human opponents doing a big wind-up, and monster heavy attacks tend to be leaping attacks. Some monsters like wolves and drowners love their leaping attacks and are hard to parry.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Always and forever dodge monster attacks.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Just started this game. If im pretty bad at sword fighting what should I spend my points in? Should I spend them in swords so that my bad sword fighting skills are mitigated, or should I ignore swords and spend them in Magic or Alchemy instead?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Is meditating a lot bad?
Also, I'm getting overburdened pretty drat easily. I just sold off a bunch of my alchemy stuff and crafting junk (stuff I had 5+ of) but I keep getting overburdened. What gives?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

casual poster posted:

Is meditating a lot bad?
Also, I'm getting overburdened pretty drat easily. I just sold off a bunch of my alchemy stuff and crafting junk (stuff I had 5+ of) but I keep getting overburdened. What gives?

Alchemy stuff is really light, junk is heavy sell or deconstruct your junk. Buy saddlebags to increase your carry weight.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Wait what I never got to that part :aaaaa:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boy, the game really wants me to pick Yen, doesn't it? It seems like in conversations with her, Geralt is like a lovesick puppy, where he's nothing like that with Triss unless I choose the romantic dialog options. It's like I'd be fighting against the writing to pick Triss over Yen.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Wait what I never got to that part :aaaaa:

Did you accuse Nathaniel? Turns out, he's not the killer. He's a scumbag, but he isn't the killer.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Did you accuse Nathaniel? Turns out, he's not the killer. He's a scumbag, but he isn't the killer.

I haven't seen any other option during that time. I'm at the end of act 1, I've noticed a message from perp, but there's no special dialogue with NPCs that should be concerned with that find Dandelion
It's weird, because from playing the first part of the quest I suspect the morgue dude cuts organs to be young. Guess I'll find out later.

I've just pulled an all-nighter playing this game..

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

alex314 posted:

did that last night, it was the first time I've done that in quite a while

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

alex314 posted:

I haven't seen any other option during that time. I'm at the end of act 1, I've noticed a message from perp, but there's no special dialogue with NPCs that should be concerned with that find Dandelion
It's weird, because from playing the first part of the quest I suspect the morgue dude cuts organs to be young. Guess I'll find out later.

It's really subtle. You have to give him a chance to explain himself when you confront him at Crippled Kate's while he's torturing Nettie, rather than accusing him at any point. Basically, just don't choose the first conversation option at any point. If you do that, he points you to the real killer. You can still kill him for being a piece of poo poo, too.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Harrow posted:

Boy, the game really wants me to pick Yen, doesn't it? It seems like in conversations with her, Geralt is like a lovesick puppy, where he's nothing like that with Triss unless I choose the romantic dialog options. It's like I'd be fighting against the writing to pick Triss over Yen.

It's because of the novels. It's basically just them writing Geralt as he is in the books. Also Triss kind of sucks in the books, so there's that too.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Broken Cog posted:

It's called "Blood on the Cobblestones" and you are right for wanting to find it because it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdQfFKTc-YA

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

It's because of the novels. It's basically just them writing Geralt as he is in the books. Also Triss kind of sucks in the books, so there's that too.

Yeah, I figured. I haven't read the books, but I've heard about the... complicated history they all have. For this playthrough, I ended up choosing Triss, but I did that before even really getting to meet Yen--they really frontload Triss's plot before you're expected to go to Skellige, which is odd pacing I think--but I'm kind of regretting it because it seems like they did a lot more with Yen as an actual character in this game.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yennefer, I barely knew her

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Before I get there, a pre-emptive question: Is there a way to say "I am annoyed by both of you and want nothing to do with you and specifically boy Triss you got like way worse between games what's up with that"?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I beat the game. Fantastic game. I will probably start over anew soon, even though I liked the choices I got.

Ciri becomes a witcher
Romanced Triss
Sided with Temeria in Reason of State (seriously, wtf Djikstra)
Killed the tree spirit; baron takes his wife away
Cerys rules Skellige

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Beat it. Absolutely loved it. Despite some people saying that the game gets worse after the Battle of Kaer Morhen I couldn't agree less. I really liked how they gave you some time with Ciri after you rescued her. I didn't expect that and thought that basically finding Ciri would be the end of the game, so I was very pleasantly surprised when there was so much of the game left after that point.

It's also strange that the saddest part for me in the entire game was at the end when I went to talk to Emhyr and told him that Ciri was "dead" and that she wanted to try to repair the relationship between the two of them. The entire game up until that point I thought that the reason he wanted to find her was because of the Elder Blood and that he was gonna do some messed up poo poo but it really seemed like he wanted to find his daughter and looked distraught that she was dead and he would never get to know her.

Also the whole political aspect with everyone talking poo poo about Nilfgaard...I really didn't see what was so bad about just having Nilfgaard rule the whole place. To me what it seemed like since the very beginning of the game was that the world of the Witcher was one that would benefit the most from a united land under a benevolent emperor. My view the whole time was something to the effect of "just give up and let Nilfgaard rule the whole place", which made me glad that that was basically what ended up happening.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Mischitary posted:

Beat it. Absolutely loved it. Despite some people saying that the game gets worse after the Battle of Kaer Morhen I couldn't agree less. I really liked how they gave you some time with Ciri after you rescued her. I didn't expect that and thought that basically finding Ciri would be the end of the game, so I was very pleasantly surprised when there was so much of the game left after that point.

It's also strange that the saddest part for me in the entire game was at the end when I went to talk to Emhyr and told him that Ciri was "dead" and that she wanted to try to repair the relationship between the two of them. The entire game up until that point I thought that the reason he wanted to find her was because of the Elder Blood and that he was gonna do some messed up poo poo but it really seemed like he wanted to find his daughter and looked distraught that she was dead and he would never get to know her.

Also the whole political aspect with everyone talking poo poo about Nilfgaard...I really didn't see what was so bad about just having Nilfgaard rule the whole place. To me what it seemed like since the very beginning of the game was that the world of the Witcher was one that would benefit the most from a united land under a benevolent emperor. My view the whole time was something to the effect of "just give up and let Nilfgaard rule the whole place", which made me glad that that was basically what ended up happening.

My guess is that they say that because the battle for Kaer Morhen is so loving amazing and the rest of the game is merely great.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Harrow posted:

Yeah I really hated that. The game's writers are way more attached to Yen (and to some extent Ciri) than I am. :shrug:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Before I get there, a pre-emptive question: Is there a way to say "I am annoyed by both of you and want nothing to do with you and specifically boy Triss you got like way worse between games what's up with that"?

You could just tell both that you don't love them during their side quests

Alternatively, if you tell both that you do love them they trick you into thinking you're gonna have a threesome and then dump you at the same time

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Further question: Is there a way to say "Keira is still better than both of you and she straight up took advantage of me"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah I really hated that. The game's writers are way more attached to Yen (and to some extent Ciri) than I am. :shrug:

It's because they're overall pretty loyal to the books, from what I've heard. I think they did a great job getting me invested in Ciri, as someone who hasn't read the books. I don't have an issue with Yen, either, except that they do have a romantic choice but really push for Yen.

I picked Triss and I actually regret it for no reason other than everything on Skellige is like the game telling me I did it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can't even bring her up

tho Yennefer is cool and Triss is literally the same person as she was in TW2 is idk what your problem with them is