Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Internet Kraken posted:

Its okay if you can't handle our fresh skill :smug:

I think my favorite part is that slower, inferior rollers see your tiny ink trail and follow it to the deathtrap around the corner.

Nothing better than jumping out from the splats on the wall they so ignorantly neglected passing the trail and splatting them with your sick Bowser Jr. painting skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

jivjov posted:

Yeah but what happens if you keep getting grouped up with a bunch of people who are terrible at the game and only got to level 10 by way of losing over and over and over and accumulating XP that way? You could be doing fantastically every game, but no one squid can carry the whole team.

Even one bad player can sink your team in this game.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Silentman0 posted:

http://i.imgur.com/4wZqzFb.webm
More skill tests. Again, it seems sub skills are mostly negligible and you can wear whatever you want and it's not that big of a deal.

:thejoke: only in cases of a tie not most of the time :thejoke:

Run speed seems pretty substantial

E: but yeah everything else is p slight.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Bad news Judd actually lies about the winner most of the time.

Honestly kinda bummed to find out that he actually does play favorites.

In the comments, people are saying that both teams get the win screen when that happens.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Run speed seems pretty substantial

But only when you're not shooting. And if you're not shooting you're probably a squid, anyway.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I know this game ain't about the Splats, but got my first Quadra kill so feeling pretty fresh right now. Got 2 people in 1 Kraken jump at that :hellyeah:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
what if no one actually wins by 0.1%

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I just got the rapid blaster and it's actually pretty good with ninja squid. Kills pretty quickly with damage up and ink resistance. Not many people know what to do with it and revenge kills with a well placed mine are hilarious.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't really have anything against Splat Zones, but I'd really like to have ranked Turf War as well. Splat Zones is this very specific variant of the game with its own little quirks and it seems weird to elevate it as the sole ranked mode right now.

Still liking the Inkbrush a lot, except on Arowana Mall, which is easily the worst Splat Zone map for it. There's very little you can do with a brush there outside of the central hell bowl, and that's not a safe place to be when there's enemy snipers around. Maybe it works out better in Turf War, where there's action across more of the map.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Honestly Ranked in general seems kinda weird right now. I feel like the rank is fairly meaningless like a lot of games like this, as it's more a grind than an actual measurement of skill. I basically just treat it like the Splat Zone mode.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't really have anything against Splat Zones, but I'd really like to have ranked Turf War as well. Splat Zones is this very specific variant of the game with its own little quirks and it seems weird to elevate it as the sole ranked mode right now.

Still liking the Inkbrush a lot, except on Arowana Mall, which is easily the worst Splat Zone map for it. There's very little you can do with a brush there outside of the central hell bowl, and that's not a safe place to be when there's enemy snipers around. Maybe it works out better in Turf War, where there's action across more of the map.

Take the side paths around hell bowl, circle around behind those bitch rear end snipers, feast on their tears.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Poultron posted:

Honestly Ranked in general seems kinda weird right now. I feel like the rank is fairly meaningless like a lot of games like this, as it's more a grind than an actual measurement of skill. I basically just treat it like the Splat Zone mode.

If you play a lot and you're bad you won't rank up. Rank reflects skill pretty accurately.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Reiley posted:

Splat Zones owns because there's incentive for the enemy team to not paint over every single inch of your ink so you can do clever things without them inevitably painting over your sneaky routes simply because there's a more pressing matter to attend to, and you can also plan around them going to those important places. Splat Zones is much more thoughtful than Turf War, which is just who can shoot more of the floor than the other team. It owns and I'm excited for more game modes
this and also it's more balanced weapon-wise since there's not a huge incentive to use the weapons that spread ink the best(aerospray). it's still a benefit but it doesn't necessarily outweigh other benefits

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Poultron posted:

You say that now but when you're pulling in 3000 points or more per win, it really changes your perspective

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Novasol posted:

you've become what you hate

ive always been myself though

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Supercar Gautier posted:

turf war isn't very balanced though. it's the funhaver gametype.

mabels big day posted:

Such a bad gun.
huh

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Ink brush is the twichiest weapon in the game. It owns.

It's like Bob Ross after a sack of cocaine.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

raditts posted:

Take the side paths around hell bowl, circle around behind those bitch rear end snipers, feast on their tears.

The trouble is, starting by taking the S lane on the right is enough of a detour that you don't really get to the middle much faster, and by the time you do, you need to stop and refill. At that point, there's often someone firing right at the ledge, and it's not safe to confront them directly. You can try lying in wait for them to approach, but that doesn't always pan out, and sitting out kinda sucks for you and your team.

The lane on the left has grates, which mitigate the brush's speed, and that lane is more open to fire that you can't return. Also not an ideal approach.

If the rest of your team can get initial control then you're freed up to do a lot more as a brush, but I'm not a fan of having to be that dependent.

Again, I suspect it's not an issue in Turf War, since there's literally four more sections of the map in play than in Splat Zones. I think it would really benefit from being a two-zone map.

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The paint brush is so good though after a while it starts to hurt my finger.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The button-pressing speed is sort of part of the paintbrush's skill ceiling but part of me wishes it did one swing when you press the button and another when you let go of the button so you don't get tendinitis just for using it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like Splat Zone and Turf War both, though the former had to grow on me.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I like Turf War since I don't sweat when I play it

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

noirstronaut posted:

I like Turf War since I don't sweat when I play it

I find it far more soothing in the fact that I'm not shouting at my TV about my idiotic teammates not re-capping the splat-zone after I just took out all 4 members of the other team

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gotta stay fresh!

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
i beat the story mode and it was very good, in my opinion

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

AfroGunsou posted:

i beat the story mode and it was very good, in my opinion

It reminded me a lot of Mario Galaxy with the little chunks of level you fly between. If the final boss hadn't been as good as it was, though, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
guys i think we are ignoring one very important facet of the paintbrush and that is its ability to draw dongs on enemy ink

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

guys i think we are ignoring one very important facet of the paintbrush and that is its ability to draw dongs on enemy ink

holy poo poo

edit: This changes everything

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I thought it was pretty fun but the main reason I didn't enjoy the regular stages that much was because it was just too easy. I have no doubt they could of made actually difficult stages though, so I hope they actually do more with the single player component of this game at some point, even if its in the distant future as its own game. I think the levels I enjoyed the most were the ones with the constant ink strikes.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

dragon enthusiast posted:

I thought this was the only reason anyone was using them??

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I wish we got a lot more time fighting the Octolings, because I like their designs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pulp rag posted:

I wish we got a lot more time fighting the Octolings, because I like their designs.

Octoling amiibo will unlock an octoling skin for your character. They will make exactly nine of these amiibo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pulp rag posted:

I'm surprised they didn't make the Bad Guys appear as Octolings to you.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Want that Carbon Roller

A scope on the E-Liter is crazy talk.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
i wish there was somewhere i could get all the doodles from the credits because some of them are extremely good
I would purchase an art booklet containing the doodles

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

Level Slide posted:

I am a human adult man, but Splatoon makes me truly believe I am a squidgirl.

Can't remember doing this before, but.

Quoted for truth.

I'm honestly glad I didn't get a ps4 to continue my Destiny shtick because I've had so much more laugh-out-loud fun playing this silly silly game.

Staaaaaaay Fresh!

(Where's that emote?)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So, got around to trying out the Aerospray tonight.

This thing is loving disgusting. I feel like I'm cheating using it. Sure, the range is crap, but who cares about that when you've got ninja jump / swim and 90% of opponents are using loving rollers and brushes anyway.

I feel like ink mines work better in theory than they do in practice though, nobody ever stays in one spot for the 7 years the things take to explode.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 7, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought it was pretty fun but the main reason I didn't enjoy the regular stages that much was because it was just too easy. I have no doubt they could of made actually difficult stages though, so I hope they actually do more with the single player component of this game at some point, even if its in the distant future as its own game. I think the levels I enjoyed the most were the ones with the constant ink strikes.

If (when) they do paid DLC for this game I imagine they'll have to add more single-player stuff, as it's something they can safely charge for without people complaining that MP content is being gated behind a paywall or whatever.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

raditts posted:

So, got around to trying out the Aerospray tonight.

This thing is loving disgusting. Sure, the range is crap, but who cares about that when you've got ninja jump / swim and 90% of opponents are using loving rollers and brushes anyway.

I feel like ink mines work better in theory than they do in practice though, nobody ever stays in one spot for the 7 years the things take to explode.

Is there a feat that lets you drop a grenade as a post-mortem parting gift? I swear I got caught unawares by something to that effect a few times yesterday doing post splat cleanup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

All it took was one day for inkbrush users to become the most annoying people to fight.

• Locked thread