Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

Feature deprecation section

If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer’s website.

really clutching at straws here to mak ms look bad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

lol @ removing a loving mpeg-2 decoder

millions of people used to popping in a dvd and having it Just Work (i guess) are going to be pretty pissed off that their almost 20 year old technology doesnt work anymore

and yet, floppy drives are still supported

Hasn't Microsoft never shipped an MPEG 2 decoder or a DVD player?

I thought that always came with the DVD drive itself because Microsoft didn't want to pay any of the licensing fees.

edit: XP and Vista didn't support DVD playback, Windows 7 added it, Windows 8.1 (or possibly 8) removed it again

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Valeyard posted:

it's a straight c-p from their own website explaining what happens when you preorder windows 10 :shrug:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's a straight c-p from their own website explaining what happens when you preorder windows 10 :shrug:

I know but still, of all the things they could pick apart it's having to manually download some software to make your floppy disks work on a 2015 OS lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pseudorandom name posted:

I thought that always came with the DVD drive itself because Microsoft didn't want to pay any of the licensing fees.

edit: XP and Vista didn't support DVD playback, Windows 7 added it, Windows 8.1 (or possibly 8) removed it again

yeah windows 7 has a mpeg-2 decoder (and maybe encoder, i dont remember). i figured more people would be upgrading from 7 instead of 8.x so more people will be pissed about it vs people that didnt have it in the first place

i imagine all media center editions have it though since you cant decode terrestrial tv without a mpeg-2 decoder

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

yeah that shits broken as hell and hasnt been fixed in like 3 publicly released builds a few months apart so far lol

just let the text use all that goddamn whitespace jfc

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Ship it in less than 60 days!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the referenced KB articles still aren't hyperlinks, but its been that way for a decade now so expecting it to change is foolish

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

the referenced KB articles still aren't hyperlinks, but its been that way for a decade now so expecting it to change is foolish

they are on win 7?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Vista did, but only in Home Premium and Ultimate (Business and I think Enterprise omitted it). It's a bit of a mess because MPEG-2 decoding and the technology required to decrypt copy-protected DVD's has to be licensed. VLC sort of grey-area works around it which is something Microsoft can't really do. Likewise, DVD drives and Blu-ray drives don't always come with playback software, and it's often considerably more expensive than the drive. I'm guessing they had to kill DVD playback to make the free upgrades thing work.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

univbee posted:

Vista did, but only in Home Premium and Ultimate (Business and I think Enterprise omitted it). It's a bit of a mess because MPEG-2 decoding and the technology required to decrypt copy-protected DVD's has to be licensed. VLC sort of grey-area works around it which is something Microsoft can't really do. Likewise, DVD drives and Blu-ray drives don't always come with playback software, and it's often considerably more expensive than the drive. I'm guessing they had to kill DVD playback to make the free upgrades thing work.

vlc uses libdvdcss which i dont think is even grey area, its probably straight up technically illegal. it also uses libaacs which is basically the same thing, just for blu-ray/aacs.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also i doubt the free upgrades are the reason, os x includes mpeg-2/dvd decode support and is free. arguably though the license could have been sold with the computer, but the same is also true of any dvd drive, so the mpeg-la would be double dipping

e: although you could counter that by saying the drive came with dvd playback software so they should just use that, but thats usually a feature limited non-upgradable version of powerdvd or something

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 6, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Valeyard posted:

I know but still, of all the things they could pick apart it's having to manually download some software to make your floppy disks work on a 2015 OS lol

that's got to save what, a 1mb USBFLOPY.SYS on the CD

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I dont' think I've ever seen a USB floppy drive

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

why the gently caress do people care that a 2015 os cant play back sd media stored on optical discs

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I dont' think I've ever seen a USB floppy drive

i have one hooked up to my computer right now because the old computers that i work with don't support USB drives

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

that's got to save what, a 1mb USBFLOPY.SYS on the CD

lol a CD

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Why is mpeg2 still even patented jfc that poo poo came out in like 1995

I mean I remember seeing divx stuff start appearing in like 2001? H264 royalty free when

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Thanks Ants posted:

why the gently caress do people care that a 2015 os cant play back sd media stored on optical discs

a mpeg-2 decoder is useful for way more than just playing dvds. a lot of content is still mpeg-2 since thats what is primarily used for atsc even though h.264 was added to the spec

most people's old hdtvs dont have a h.264 decoder though so pretty much everything is broadcast in mpeg-2. likewise if you were to record an ota broadcast you would need a mpeg-2 decoder to play it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

was it one of the resident evil games for n64 that came with an MPEG-2 decoder chip on the cartridge

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Mr Dog posted:

Why is mpeg2 still even patented jfc that poo poo came out in like 1995

I mean I remember seeing divx stuff start appearing in like 2001? H264 royalty free when

it was developed earlier than that but uses a ton of patents pooled by a bunch of corporations, so i have no idea when they would all expire

even then its not very useful these days as its a very old codec and h264 and especially hevc are way better. h.264 is basically royalty free for consumers as mpeg-la said they would not sue individuals for using it

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

So in Windows 10, using the xbox app you can now stream games playing on your underpowered overpriced console on your gaming pc....

A feature no one who uses a pc to play games ever wanted.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'm sure what's his name from penny arcade will tweet endlessly about how great it is to stream from his Xbox One to his Surface 3

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm sure what's his name from penny arcade will tweet endlessly about how great it is to stream from his Xbox One to his Surface 3

i also remember the day i stopped reading PA

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Valeyard posted:

don't have to download anything to make a USB floppy drive work on OS X, as long as conforms to the USB storage device class, probably the same with Linux

(OS X doesn't support the MFS or HFS filesystem any more so good luck reading a non-DOS floppy, but you can blast a disk image onto one and then use it on an old Mac if you're doing retro stuff)

next you'll tell us that Windows users need to install a lovely driver to talk to an FTDI chip or other serial interface over USB

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
or when you plug it in windows automatically gets the drivers and none of this is a real issue

but no, go on about how stupid this is please.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

better than his usual routine of tweeting insults at transpeople and rape survivors

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

they are on win 7?

you'll end up googling the kb anyway to find out what the update actually does because ms wont tell you what updates actually do or contain

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Get satya on the phone. We're ready to ship today.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Dodoman posted:

or when you plug it in windows automatically gets the drivers and none of this is a real issue

but no, go on about how stupid this is please.

why should an OS have to fetch drivers for a device that conforms to a standard device class? drivers like that should just be part of the OS, that's the whole point of the "device class" system.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

they're probably trying to reduce the image size for the virtual disk version that gets installed on tablets, and since USB Mass Storage comes in three flavors two of which nobody ever uses, dropping support for the useless protocols will save them space

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i love how the developers for windows 8.1 update really hate multi-monitor displays. not only is there a six-pixel border on each corner that prevents the mouse from smoothly moving between displays, but the only way to modify this behavior is through the registry. what a great idea. wow.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Valeyard posted:

but you see windows media center - a poo poo thing nobody ever used or cared about - got finally axed

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

cthulhoo posted:

but you see windows media center - a poo poo thing nobody ever used or cared about - got finally axed

this is actually good, i have the windows media center key next to volume up on my laptop and it sucks accidentally hitting it multiple times

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Maximum Leader posted:

this is actually good, i have the windows media center key next to volume up on my laptop and it sucks accidentally hitting it multiple times
if people like eschaton had their way, those keys wouldn't even work in the first place

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Maximum Leader posted:

can't you just turn that off in the settings

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cthulhoo posted:

windows media center is the only piece of software that can play encrypted cable so it going away is kind of a pain in the rear end.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

windows media center is the only piece of software that can play encrypted cable so it going away is kind of a pain in the rear end.

id assume that OneGuide will come to Windows 10 to fill that gap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
one guide isn't a player its just a guide overlay on top of video coming from a set top box.

• Locked thread