Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The blaster is so crazy that I hope it never catches on; there was a guy kicking my rear end with it consistently and there's not much you can do if he gets into optimal range and shoots first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

BattleMaster posted:

The blaster is so crazy that I hope it never catches on; there was a guy kicking my rear end with it consistently and there's not much you can do if he gets into optimal range and shoots first.

I love it so much.

I haven't gotten to a particularly high level yet, though. Is there an alternate blaster hiding around somewhere?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I just beat singleplayer.

Holy poo poo that final boss is amazing.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I ignore how players in a team are ranked based on k/d because guarding the base, being a distraction, and disrupting the opponents zone are MVP roles.

GeneX posted:

Also this. It wasn't what I expected. It just kept going.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

All the bosses were great. They were all really easy until the last boss but they were really cool looking. I liked the big eel thing that had teeth missiles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bread Set Jettison posted:

All the bosses were great. They were all really easy until the last boss but they were really cool looking. I liked the big eel thing that had teeth missiles.

Is it just me, or is the Octomaw a mechanical version of Jabun from Wind Waker?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

GeneX posted:

It's the additions the translators added that really made that boss special.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

someone help I can't stop using the Custom Splattershot Jr

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is not just you. I was like "hmm this look familliar"

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

someone help I can't stop using the Custom Splattershot Jr

*sneaks up behind you and inkbrushes you to death*

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Geostomp posted:

It's the additions the translators added that really made that boss special.

Yeah, NOA's translation team is fantastic. I'm just repeating "Spicy Wasabi Beats" to myself and giggling madly. And that intro is so good.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I think of all weapons, the Ink Brush might be the only one that could somehow benefit from a disruptor bomb. Still probably a trash subweapon.

Come on nintendo I need Ink Brush varients. Give it echolocator special, and maybe ink mine.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

BattleMaster posted:

All they need to do is add a map ping and "I'm on it" and "No can do" to the left/right on the D-pad and it will have enough communication for most purposes.

Nobody would use them though. At least that's my guess based on the number of beacons my teammates drop within ten feet of our spawn point.

Also holy poo poo people, shoot the opponents' sprinklers. Don't leave it up to the roller to tank like 95% damage just to get rid of it.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Caerulius posted:

The best way to use inkmines is offensively. Drop one and then get someone to chase you over it while youre shooting for a one two punch. It cant really hold a choke point on its own, but can really help in holding one.

Yeah, Ink Mines are great for this reason. Drop them on choke points as you're leaving your base area then drop them in the middle of chunks of territory you've just claimed. You're about to be cornered? Drop a mine and get that fucker from beyond the grave. The fact that they last for so brief a time means it's okay to drop them semi-regularly, and almost no one expects you to really use them at all so it's easy to surprise people with them. Ink mines are the best.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yeah, Ink Mines are great for this reason. Drop them on choke points as you're leaving your base area then drop them in the middle of chunks of territory you've just claimed. You're about to be cornered? Drop a mine and get that fucker from beyond the grave. The fact that they last for so brief a time means it's okay to drop them semi-regularly, and almost no one expects you to really use them at all so it's easy to surprise people with them. Ink mines are the best.

My finest hour in Splatoon was when I managed to blow up the entire opposing team with a single mine.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

My favorite thing about ink mines in Splat Zones is that when the opposing team claims the part of the zone where the mine is, the mine explodes and immediately takes control back from them. I love the barrage of control messages that results.

Also, something interesting I noticed in the guide -- the rewrote the zone capturing messages between the time of giving the images to Prima and release. The guide has screenshots with "They/We capped a zone!" and "Zone neutralized!" I much prefer what we ended up with; "control" is so much more clear than "capped" (captured).

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Technogeek posted:

My finest hour in Splatoon was when I managed to blow up the entire opposing team with a single mine.

I did not learn from an opposing team's strategy on Blackbelly in which they mined the top of the middle tower. Repeatedly.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

All they need to do is add a map ping and "I'm on it" and "No can do" to the left/right on the D-pad and it will have enough communication for most purposes.

Yeah, I hope quick talk expansion / customisation is coming for v2 (or a hypothetical Mario Kart 8 like v3)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It is not just you. I was like "hmm this look familliar"

Spoiler about boss 4 It's a mecha zapfish :v:

I loved the final boss, but for some reason he kept making me think of one of W101's final bosses which was weird and made me end up going "Yeah this is cool but I feel like I saw it before." despite W101's not being a evil pun based octopus DJ. That song is still great tho.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
why can we no longer think of the british isles without the word pedoph in front of them?

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

GeneX posted:

Yeah, NOA's translation team is fantastic. I'm just repeating "Spicy Wasabi Beats" to myself and giggling madly. And that intro is so good.

The European release translates that line as "Go, my minions!" :(

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think the only interesting line in the EU final boss is "it's time to drop the sea bass" or something but maybe the US got that too

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I think the only interesting line in the EU final boss is "it's time to drop the sea bass" or something but maybe the US got that too

Nope he says something like that too in America.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Does anyone try out all the guns they buy? I've bought almost all of them in game but generally use the same four most of the time.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Spacebump posted:

Does anyone try out all the guns they buy? I've bought almost all of them in game but generally use the same four most of the time.

Yep, it helps a lot. The only weapon purchase I've regretted is the rapid blaster. Speaking of, who in their right mind would use the rapid blaster deco?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I think of all weapons, the Ink Brush might be the only one that could somehow benefit from a disruptor bomb. Still probably a trash subweapon.

Are there any hard numbers for what a disruptor actually does? I use them a lot and I feel like they're helpful but I don't really have any concrete evidence that they do much. I like that they make rollers pretty useless for a while and it highlights people when they try to swim away.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Help Im Alive posted:

Actually that's another US only line as far as I can see. The EU version has it as "I'll make fried squid rings outta you!":

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Elenkis posted:

Actually that's another US only line as far as I can see. The EU version has it as "I'll make fried squid rings outta you!":

He says both at different points.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This game is so drat fun.

Really enjoying splat zones. Lots of weapons that don't do so hot in turf war because of limited painting ability are great in splat zones for knocking out the enemy team. It feels way more focused, although its frustrating if your team doesn't even try to coordinate.

Had a good run of wins there. Still too poor to buy the freshest gear.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

My entire team disconnected...andddd now I'm at the bottom of C+...

...at least I'm better at the Blaster now.

Edit: yup deranked. Fuckkk I scored a quad kill twice and tried to hold the base but my entire team was inking up the top part of Saltspray Rig instead multiple times. Time to take a break.

Akarshi fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 7, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Blaster is really good, though you have to know the ranges they work at. Otherwise they hit the wall and do almost nothing.

I tried using the Splattershot along with their maligned Burst Bombs and found they are really good to toss at people trying to use the high ground to their advantage. Spammed a bunch at the spot and actually got a double kill with them, and even if it doesn't kill it can discourage people from trying to push if they get tagged by too much ink.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Help Im Alive posted:

From what I've seen, EU translation tends to take fewer liberties with the material than NoA does. Which is a real shame here because that boss is so ridiculous that terrible puns are all appropriate and hilarious.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dizz posted:

I'l give it a shot. I've gotten accustomed to Splattershot pros because the sub and special are outstanding but I just feel like everything else just has an advantage on me.
Having range advantage really helps shut other people down. Either they die when you engage them from farther away, or they are forced to find another route-and if you(and your team, to some extent) are doing well at inking routes they may not have any good options. And the echolocator really helps with that.

Theta Zero posted:

I love it so much.

I haven't gotten to a particularly high level yet, though. Is there an alternate blaster hiding around somewhere?
Custom blaster is at level 17 and has normal blaster's high damage along with point sensors and bubbler. :getin:

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 7, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Theta Zero posted:

I love it so much.

At level 18 you can buy the custom blaster, which is great. It has point sensors as its sub and the bubbler as its special which is an amazing package. Only other weapon to get point sensors is the piece of crap classic squiffer.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

With how many giant fish bosses Nintendo has made over the years, some of them are gonna end up looking similar.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Geostomp posted:

From what I've seen, EU translation tends to take fewer liberties with the material than NoA does. Which is a real shame here because that boss is so ridiculous that terrible puns are all appropriate and hilarious.

Are there also a bunch of puns in the Japanese version? Because I love puns, and puns in other languages are the best puns.

Also I think I'm getting the hang of the inkbrush, although it still seems tricky and near-useless in cases where the enemy team is blocking off all routes (so you can't zip past them and ink up the places they're neglecting) or the walls are too narrow to get a good spread of ink out. But it's just too fun surprise-slapping your foes to death with a giant paintbrush. I'm keeping it.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
So in the last half hour I beat my Turf War personal best with a score of 1294, whee!

And then in the very next battle I scored 1625.

:sparkles:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is the crane in saltspray rig actually useful for changing sniping position in ranked? It doesn't seem like the regular splat charger even has enough range to hit the zone.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...