Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Yapping Eevee posted:

:psyduck: Scruffy, that was most definitely not a carol the Joker was singing.

Perhaps it's because I'm only observing instead of actually playing the game, but this honestly hasn't been that bad.

That's it with Origins. It isn't a 0/10 game. It's not horrible. It was just a letdown. Keep in mind that no matter how many criticisms I weigh against this game, I beat it 100%, NG+, and I Am the Night and bought the Season Pass and all the DLC and play the multiplayer and everything else. It's a retread, it's glitchy as hell, and it didn't live up to City. It's average in a series that I thought was amazing beforehand.

And I'm sick and tired of the loving Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

That's it with Origins. It isn't a 0/10 game. It's not horrible. It was just a letdown. Keep in mind that no matter how many criticisms I weigh against this game, I beat it 100%, NG+, and I Am the Night and bought the Season Pass and all the DLC and play the multiplayer and everything else. It's a retread, it's glitchy as hell, and it didn't live up to City. It's average in a series that I thought was amazing beforehand.

And I'm sick and tired of the loving Joker.

Truthfully, I'm sick of the Arkham combat system, sure, it's varied, innovative and after a shallow learning curve easy to use but it's boring. The gadgets are essentially the same from Asylum up until now just with different names. I think earlier in the thread someone talked about a Batman game with Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system where you'd pick one of Batman's Rogues and build an army. Maybe a game where Batman and Joker are either dead or haven't been created yet. Be nice to play in the Arkhamverse where you aren't rear end in a top hat Batman defeating the plots of Black Hole Joker, Hulk-Smash Bane (Venom or Mastermind version) and Challenge/Collectible crazy Riddler. How about a game where you're Robin or Nightwing or heck even Oracle fighting crime because Batman's out of commission (and not as a DLC campaign) against Two-Face.

Meh, I'm overthinking it, I'm probably Arkham-ed out at this point.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dariusknight posted:

Meh, I'm overthinking it, I'm probably Arkham-ed out at this point.

That's your problem. Trust me, if you take a bunch of time off you can relearn to love the combat. I got sick of Arkham after watching Scruffy's Asylum LP, but I fired up City on a whim during that LP and was entranced.

Anyway... speaking of combat and upgrades, whatever happened to the Ultra Batclaw? I miss that gadget.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Assuming that we are building this other game. Would you want there to be a trap building system like prison architect or evil genius? The trade offs would be the more complicated the set up the better chance you have to escape when the plot hero comes for you but more of your thugs will die/leave from having to get around the traps every day. Or if you don't want it to be that complicated you can get the same effect with 2 sliders. One for passive traps, like a shotgun behind a door, and one for active traps that need a button push to be activated but the hero can sneak past if you char doesn't know he is there.

So, list of key features of the theoretical game so far:
Multiple gangs trying to take over a city.
Your choice of bosses with different stats.
Recruiting thugs to run missions.
Being able to assign yourself to a mission and getting arkham style combat.
Having to balance your gains so that you don't get the attention of the plot hero.
Getting defeated by the plot hero isn't a game over.

Am I missing anything?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Either playing as Adam West Batman or Firefly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Major_JF posted:

Assuming that we are building this other game. Would you want there to be a trap building system like prison architect or evil genius? The trade offs would be the more complicated the set up the better chance you have to escape when the plot hero comes for you but more of your thugs will die/leave from having to get around the traps every day. Or if you don't want it to be that complicated you can get the same effect with 2 sliders. One for passive traps, like a shotgun behind a door, and one for active traps that need a button push to be activated but the hero can sneak past if you char doesn't know he is there.

This sounds like Invisible Inc.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Major_JF posted:

Am I missing anything?

Maybe an active/passive mission system, too. You can invest money in, say, a drug ring to bring in a steady stream of small money, or you plan a heist for a big score. Like GTA5 style where you could buy properties to make cash and occasionally a little extra with specific missions for it.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

Vicissitude posted:

Maybe an active/passive mission system, too. You can invest money in, say, a drug ring to bring in a steady stream of small money, or you plan a heist for a big score. Like GTA5 style where you could buy properties to make cash and occasionally a little extra with specific missions for it.

Actually a GTA5-like game with Gotham being a huge open world map with multiple locations... you know what, let's just go all out and make it an MMO and call it Batman: Arkham Sidekicks or Arkham Family or Arkham Inc.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Major_JF posted:

So... like a DC Dungeon Keeper?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
As part of it? Works for me.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the "KILL BATMAN OR I KILL YOU" is just one of several canned lines that are spouted during predator rooms? Maybe? Cause otherwise yeah that's hilariously frivolously jarring.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the "KILL BATMAN OR I KILL YOU" is just one of several canned lines that are spouted during predator rooms? Maybe? Cause otherwise yeah that's hilariously frivolously jarring.
That's what I thought myself.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Good news! It's the last story update. Time to take down the Joker for the first time for the last time!

The Final Insult/Polsy

Predator Challenge: Hard Time/Polsy with Thrillkiller Batman

I guess Thrillkiller Batman is based on DC's Earth-37 set which happened after Infinite Crisis. It involves Batman and Robin in the 60's, a female Joker, and GCPD Detective Bruce Wayne.

There's still so much collectible garbage. Looks like there's going to be one video to set up the Riddler roundup, and then three roundup videos. And then I'll be on to the DLC. THE END IS IN SIGHT.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I still have no idea why Bane is working with Joker at the end here. What does he accomplish from this? It would help if we had any inkling of Bane's motivation in this game, but he's annoyingly vague about everything until the end.

In regards to the second Bane fight, it's a lot easier than the first. Build up a quick combo on Bane with the Shock Gloves after he does his ground pound, then Multi-Takedown Batarang on all of the guys. You'll clear out the whole room in one go with that and it makes handling Bane a lot easier.

The TN-1 Bane boss fight is just laughably easy, though I will admit it's a bit nerve-wracking the first time you get to it. It's definitely no Mr. Freeze, that's for sure. Just sneak up on Bane from behind and ran him into electrical walls three times. You don't even need to worry about the jammer, in all honesty, since trying to disable that leaves you more exposed to Bane. If anything, the "no using Detective Mode" challenges on the Worst Nightmare tree were preparing you for that.

On the Joker "fight", my game wouldn't let me counter Joker's glass shards until I turned the game on and off, like, three times. :argh:

Also, cutscene things:

* Bane breaks the Bat! But not really. So what was even the point of that? :geno:

* Gordon being a bitch about Batman killing Bane is so annoying. "Grr, I'm mad you killed him! Oh, you didn't kill him? That's okay, then." Did we really need this part? Honestly, Gordon's just being unreasonable here because what was Batman supposed to do if he DIDN'T have magic defibrillator gloves? Let Warden Joseph die? Let the Joker and Gordon die? Let himself die?

* Bane dopes up on TN-1 because... I have no idea. I'm assuming it's because Batman had no way to defeat this version of Bane without stopping his heart again or Bane making himself a musclebound moron. Seriously, what strategic purpose does it serve Bane to use TN-1? It's just Venom without the canister, right? And from all indication, Batman tearing out his tubing hasn't inconvenienced him much thus far.

* The amnesia thing conveniently erasing Bane's memory. There's nothing in Asylum or City that suggests Bane doesn't know Batman's identity, and it bothers me that of the three people in the Arkham series that know Bruce's identity, one gets amnesia, the other dies, and the other is doesn't give a poo poo about telling anyone.

* Also, how does Batman know Bane's memory of him is gone? All Bane says is that he must find Batman and Bruce immediately deduces "Aha, he's forgotten everything about me and the Batcave." That's an Adam West Batman leap in logic. Made even worse by the fact that TN-1 Bane speaks about Alfred in one of his game over quotes.

* Killer Croc shows up to kill Batman. He then leaves because he was shot, but the bullet bounced off his skin and didn't hurt him. Weird.

* Joker checks Bane's heart monitor to see if he's alive, even though Batman was explicitly shown pulling it off after shocking him unconscious.

* Batman throws Joker into a window before doing the beatdown on him. When Gordon enters the chapel, the window is magically fixed.

* "I let him go because of you." Actually, he just disappeared on you. Again. Like he did at the bridge. Gordon letting Batman go WOULD have been a nice scene, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 7, 2015

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

Good news! It's the last story update. Time to take down the Joker for the first time for the last time!

The Final Insult/Polsy

Uh, I'm 100% sure you CAN turn off the jammer during the bossfight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, one other thing. Alfred says if you take longer than ten minutes, Bane will take you out in one hit.

That's not entirely accurate.

From what I've seen on other Youtube videos of this fight, if you take longer than ten minutes, Bane will become able to kill you in one hit if he grabs hold of you, but it doesn't just happen instantly.

---

Game Over Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNy1p14qMpQ (Firefly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py6hXhJv5as (Bane)

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 7, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I enjoyed that the credits were longer than the gameplay and cutscenes in this video. Good time to make a sandwich and come back to the post-credit cutscene. Like in them movies.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

nekoxid posted:

Uh, I'm 100% sure you CAN turn off the jammer during the bossfight.

Not the first time I've been wrong in this LP then!

I don't remember ever finding it in any of my playthroughs so my bad.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Literally 30 minutes of credits. 30 minutes of names. Half an hour of uninterrupted, boring credits.

You used to get achievements or secrets for sitting through ten minutes of credits. What the gently caress, developers?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Really Waller? You're going to threaten the legendary super assassin with life in prison in a place that just got broken out of? Twice? In one night? Like the game just reminded us?

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I find it weird how the story seems to toggle between being self aware and not. Sometimes someone accurately points out the problems with what's happening. Heck, the Joker seems to have a full clarity on choices and consequences. Other times the game has someone say something weird to justify the Arkham universe logic. Gordon gets angry at Batman for seemingly killing Bane despite the fact that we'd have one, or more likely two, dead cops otherwise. Later Batman is saying "Gotham deserves better" as an explanation for not killing Joker. Gotham deserves better than what? A dead Joker? Does Gotham deserve an alive Joker? Then there's also the cases where the game points out something that does make sense, but is however not true in the Arkham universe. For example, Albert points out that Batman may accomplish more if he works together with others rather than relying on himself only. However, the other Arkham games have no cops doing anything that even hints on competence. Them taking actions like disarming a bomb on their own initiative is not something we saw in Asylum and City and chance is we won't see it ever again.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The final confrontation with the Joker is literally that Robot Chicken sketch someone linked earlier but played 100% seriously, it's amazing.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

* Gordon being a bitch about Batman killing Bane is so annoying. "Grr, I'm mad you killed him! Oh, you didn't kill him? That's okay, then." Did we really need this part? Honestly, Gordon's just being unreasonable here because what was Batman supposed to do if he DIDN'T have magic defibrillator gloves? Let Warden Joseph die? Let the Joker and Gordon die? Let himself die?

Guessing the writers weren't capable of differentiating between Batman's own moral code/childhood trauma eccentricities and some absolute moral code anyone who isn't corrupt or outright evil would follow. Otherwise you'd think a police officer would know about things like justifiable force.

One thing I appreciated about Arrow being budget Batman is that they're not as tied down by the whole murder taboo as usual Batman stuff, if only because "if you don't kill me right on this spot I will destroy your entire city" doesn't turn out to be a viable long-term strategy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Video 20 Notes

Alfred
So it's pretty obvious this was a relic from way early in development, because as others have noted it makes no sense here. Not much more to say, really- Alfred has a number of plot-powered personality changes that don't make much sense, allowing him to simultaneously be the Wise Correct Guide and the Man who Doesn't Understand My Mission. This is actually a parallel to how the character was written in the Nolan movies, it's just a lot more obvious here due to the rewriting that places the different, conflicting roles right next to each other.

Jeez, the moment-to-moment prose of the cutscenes is terrible. It's also impressive how creepy Alfred in particular looks in motion- it's as if his facial rigging is screwed up. One thing to note is that the camera direction is also frequently a lot simpler- this scene is pretty much entirely eyeline back and forth after the first shot. AC and AA were both much more comfortable with camera experimentation, generally to positive effect. This game is shot like an episode of Law and Order.

At the same time, notice the efforts to plaster over the bad writing during the ingame comm sequences. While none of this writing will win any awards, it's miles better than the content from the cutscenes, and I'm very curious about the process and people involved. Some of it's quite good!

Drug Stashes
We're not hearing a lot of the good writing because it would require that scruffy let enemies in scripted positions, like the drug stashes, talk before he swoops in and clobbers them. This mission is by far the least offensive of the multiple "go to place and do thing" sidequests- and a large part of it is the writing of the goons is especially good at characterizing Black Mask- a character who basically goes completely unexplored, and who could be way more interesting than the other villains in this game, representing the threat a semi-conventional organized crime leader could present. It's worth remembering that a lot of the best writing in media like the animated series involved mobsters interacting with the Batman and his world, and that some of these enemies were a credible threat- they just needed to not be written as idiots. Black Mask is established as someone who has a Very Bad Night (kidnapped, forced to shoot moll, tortured, betrayed by most of his men) who immediately- immediately- goes right into reestablishing his empire. His obsessive determination makes him a lot more interesting than the villain I've taken to thinking of as The Interior Decorator. One especially nice touch is that the Black Masks are shown as more organized than other groups- the stashes tend to be behind some sort of barrier, and the remaining loyal (or semi-loyal) Masks are written as somewhat more intelligent than other criminal groups. It's established elsewhere that this gang is actually made up of people from all economic classes and walks of life, and that the masks are to hide the identities of some more recognizeable people from gotham's higher echelons- the gang is much, much better insinuated into Gotham's fabric than any of the other ones that we've really seen. Imagine if the game had actually been focused on them, rather than the Clown who Talks!

Crimes in Progress
The CiP system isn't very well-implemented, but again, the writing on them, especially the missable one-offs, does a good job of providing texture by having actual things happen in the city. While there was similar writing in the previous games, a lot of it was much easier to miss- AO uses the CiP system to try to get you to notice them. My personal favorites are an ambush we haven't seen yet, and the Penguin's line of quests, which show how he uses gun deals in a variety of ways to increase his area of control by duping the less intelligent criminals into his service. We see another example of the system not working later in the video- they forgot to remove some police enemies next to a CiP, so now it makes little sense.

Amusement Mile Tower
I really like this tower as the climax of the riddler towers- it exhibits the addition of multiple features, including better-armed men, to the radio towers and does a good job of suggesting progressive design, while exhibiting your improved abilities(the fact that you need your last upgrade to get past the first obstacle to entry was an intentional and good choice-notable because it hasn't happened in other settings). Running commentary from the Riddler, and the goon dialogue(which, again, we missed) also helps sell it. Clearing the tower isn't particularly hard, but it still feels like an accomplishment, especially if the tower has been taunting you for the rest of the game. As an aside, the whole interior of it is put together with a number of unique design choices and in some cases, unique design assets (like the signposting lights on the ceiling), My guess is that one person or team was responsible for all of the towers. The devs just had more room to work with here on this island, and the result was a better product. I think the game is strongly trying to imply that this island, particularly the top office area where the radio room is, was one of Enigma's actual bases of operations- particularly due to an easter egg I'll discuss later.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

One especially nice touch is that the Black Masks are shown as more organized than other groups- the stashes tend to be behind some sort of barrier, and the remaining loyal (or semi-loyal) Masks are written as somewhat more intelligent than other criminal groups. It's established elsewhere that this gang is actually made up of people from all economic classes and walks of life, and that the masks are to hide the identities of some more recognizeable people from gotham's higher echelons- the gang is much, much better insinuated into Gotham's fabric than any of the other ones that we've really seen. Imagine if the game had actually been focused on them, rather than the Clown who Talks!

I can agree it was a lot more pleasant to hear Black Mask's goon dialogue than "I ran that bitch over with my car".

Even though that latter one was kind of funny.

The goon dialogue in this game is pretty good, I think, aside from the occasional odd looping. Like, in one of the videos, two of Bane's henchmen have the same conversation about where Bird is and whether the TN-1 trials have started twice in a row.

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
It's funny. I think the thing that bugs me the most is just how much the villains get to cheat. Joker claims he is going to blow up 17 sky scrapers? He probably can because plot is going to magic up all the resources he needs. He also managed to turn Blackgate Prison into a Halloween pranker's heaven and put up all those mattress barricades in, what, half an hour?

The fact that Joker is apparently magical chaos incarnate and some sort of combat masochist is probably 70% why I'm not a fan of his use in this game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Video 21 Notes

Snipers
Just a note to say that this set of snipers from the video's beginning are the set I was talking about in earlier posts. These guys suck, and I have no idea who thought it was a good idea to include them. My best guess is that the devs didn't realize the enemy gaze ranges on the snipers overlapped with a) the neighboring rooftop, and b) the enemies with guns linked to the radio tower.

Ambush
a)this is the ninja ambush I mentioned liking in the Video 20 notes- it's a nice surprise the first time it happens. b)Scruffy, you lucky, lucky bastard- somehow you hit the buggy CiP that gives you the bridge area, despite the only CiPs on the bridge being one-off affairs. It took me weeks to clear this challenge for that specific reason, and you just bump into it. :argh:

Code
I've seen serial numbers like the one at 5:36 on this video in a couple places in the city, but with different values- I'm actually wondering if there's an easter egg that hasn't been found yet.

The Church
Oh man, where to start.
a)This is a great way to conclude the sidequest- it ties things together, gives a well-crafted new (ok, "new") location, varies the gameplay, provides additional background/characterization for BM, and gives a sense of conclusion to the storyline. Keep how well this quest ended in mind, and contrast it with, oh, I don't know, every other sidequest in the game.
b)DEADPARENTS :allears: Supposedly it's a reference to how BM killed his own parents, but it's obviously got some great double meaning going on.
c) Don't mind me, Sionis, I'm just going to refer to my butler by his name and have a conversation with him directly in front of you while you're conscious.
d) Note that the datapack in the church, like most of the other one-off interiors, is an afterthought in terms of positioning. My guess is that the groups responsible for these rooms were each assigned a single datapack, and they may not have been told about this in an effective way. In any case, only a couple of the datapacks in interior spaces have any sort of real puzzle elements to them. This makes getting them int he roundup all the more agonizing.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I have two questions, why did we start fighting The Hulk, and why are there electric cages in a prison.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

X_countryguy posted:

It's funny. I think the thing that bugs me the most is just how much the villains get to cheat. Joker claims he is going to blow up 17 sky scrapers? He probably can because plot is going to magic up all the resources he needs. He also managed to turn Blackgate Prison into a Halloween pranker's heaven and put up all those mattress barricades in, what, half an hour?

The fact that Joker is apparently magical chaos incarnate and some sort of combat masochist is probably 70% why I'm not a fan of his use in this game.

What, you can't pick up demolitions grade explosives and guys willing to commit multiple life sentence types of crimes at the stores around where you live?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Didn't he already have the explosives set up? From back in the hotel.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 7, 2015

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Is Joker already superhuman or is Batman just weak as a kitten, because those beatdowns should have killed him twice over.

Also Gordon had killed two bandits just prior getting pissed off at Batman for killing Bane, it seems it's only a big deal when Batman does it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Szurumbur posted:

Is Joker already superhuman or is Batman just weak as a kitten, because those beatdowns should have killed him twice over.

Well, Joker is apparently a near immortal Slenderman in the New 52, so who knows? :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, Joker is apparently a near immortal Slenderman in the New 52, so who knows? :v:

That doesn't bother me much. The Joker being some kind of supernatural being actually makes a lot more sense than pretending he's a human character given how he's treated and used in most depictions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Look, he needs to have access to a time machine, he needs to be louder, and whenever he's not around, every other character needs to be asking 'Where's Joker!?'

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Video 22 Notes (Oh god, I'm going to have to watch all of these in one sitting and study the writing. :suicide:)

Morgue
I can't quite tell what's up with this sequence- you encountered Bane and Venom users a long time ago, so the infodump on Venom seems really late. I mean, you've already seen Venom in action several times at this point. It may have been another case of late-term revisions to the plot, and might be part of why the interior of the precinct makes no sense- they shoved the rooms associated with the Morgue visit in later. There are a lot of indications that this part of the game- the morgue visit and the part where you locate the tracker- were made in a hurry. These areas lack polish, and frequently have structural seams that are visible in detective mode. They also tend to be more "boxy" in layout, which usually indicates there wasn't time spent to make the spaces seem less artificial.

Point of No Return
This period, after the morgue visit, is the game's point of no return. You can spend time in some parts of the open city after you get to the tracker, but a large part of the map will trigger a cutscene and force you into the endgame. There's no indication of this, sadly- so get ready to be locked into the endgame!

Hit and Run
A nice touch is that if you are semi-near the location of the crash when the event trigger hits (it can't activate too near the location, within eyesight, but can't activate too far away, either), you can actually hear the crash happen. It's a similar approach to the gunshots used in the Deadshot sidequest in AC. On the other hand, the corpse info on Ramo reads" Under investigated by internal affairs".

Gang Fights
These scenarios are mostly cool because, as scruffy mentions, the number of enemies is massive. This doesn't ever really get taken advantage of, and they're all one-time things, which is a shame. These fights are, again as scruffy says, great for clearing the combat challenges, and they're also really fun! The bird cage thing is pretty groan-inducing, though. Maybe they were trying to do a hat-tip to Talon, Bird's Bird?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
When you use the Joker, something awesome has to happen, so JOKER AWESOME, connected now in Arkham Origins.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The past 6 years have just been terrible to the joker. Remember when he cut off his face and had the rotting flesh stapled back on years later?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The worst thing about the 'Batman Doesn't Kill' thing is how all these stories turn that one legitimately positive character trait into a weakness by hammering it over and over. They make it entirely too easy to agree that yes, Bats just really enjoys his dances with his buddies and doesn't really care who else gets hurt. 'I don't kill people' should not be something that should be made to look like nothing but foolhardy weakness.

I've said it before, but the biggest thing Bats needs is some successes. People who reform and stay reformed, or even just stay in prison successfully. Something to vindicate the Not Murdering Policy rather than Joker getting off on getting beaten up and laughing about how many more dudes he's going to murder once he's out of here.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Szurumbur posted:

Also Gordon had killed two bandits just prior getting pissed off at Batman for killing Bane, it seems it's only a big deal when Batman does it.

Guessing the vat of chemicals probably gave him something similar to congenital analgesia, don't think he's shown that he feels pain in pretty much any rendition of the joker I've seen.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nalesh posted:

Guessing the vat of chemicals probably gave him something similar to congenital analgesia, don't think he's shown that he feels pain in pretty much any rendition of the joker I've seen.

Yup.
I don't remember a Joker that has ever reacted to pain with anything but laughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I knew what that was going to be before I clicked it, what have I done with my life. :negative:

• Locked thread