Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

So, if you weren't super crazy about 10000000000000, is it worth it to try the new one? It looks like kind of the same thing.

If the core gameplay didn't grab you, I wouldn't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
It depends how keen you are on topics related to Nautical Engineering and Construction.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A big part of the appeal to me is that the graphics look exactly like a ColecoVision era Activision game, and those were so good. Hell, I still play River Raid or Keystone Kops every once in a while.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I spent way to much time trying to complete the "destroy more than ten crates with a crate bomb" quest in YMBAB. It wasn't fun.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

mrkillboy posted:

I spent way to much time trying to complete the "destroy more than ten crates with a crate bomb" quest in YMBAB. It wasn't fun.

I'm currently stuck on that one. It sucks.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I'm stuck on doing 188 damage at once.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The new game+ mechanic in YMBAB is uninteresting. Nothing at all carries over, there's no real sense of long-term progress.

Still a decent chunk of playtime for 3 bux.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
I'm on the last chapter of YMBAB, for all the raving i'm really unimpressed with it.

It seems you can play it one of two ways, just stare at the tiles and continue to make as many matches as you can as fast as you can, or pay attention to what is stopping you from running continuously to the right and try and find whatever match would help best / disarm that incoming trap / unlock that chest. Both ways work just as well as each other with no real benefit to either.

Unimaginative bonuses such as 'lucky coin', 'luckier coin', 'luckiest coin'. It's depressingly repetitive and grindy in places. Some of the challenges are pure luck, like getting two triple matches in a single play through, or the 10 crates with a bomb thing that has some people stumped.

All in all it's worth a buck or two, but there are far better poop break games out there. If this is the superior version of 10000000 then i'm somewhat glad i never played 10000000 in the first place.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I'm stuck on disarming a trap after it's been released. I wait until the icon drops, match the right tiles and disarm it, but I get no quest credit. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some other way to disarm a trap?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Any verdicts yet on the FFT port to Android?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

mrkillboy posted:

Yeah, ditto. Definite design flaw.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

dpack_1 posted:

I'm on the last chapter of YMBAB, for all the raving i'm really unimpressed with it.
I'm in the same boat. I got stuck on the 'blow up ten crates' mission for literally hours because the stupid crates refused to drop bombs in the first place. So now I've been forced to grind and can now buy pretty much every upgrade right away that isn't gated by dust. :toot:

It's a fun game, and I don't regret buying it, but I've basically broken it over my knee without meaning to, due to a poor choice of one mission and bad luck with the RNG. :lol:

Rage-edit - :argh: ^^^^

dpack_1 posted:

All in all it's worth a buck or two, but there are far better poop break games out there. If this is the superior version of 10000000 then i'm somewhat glad i never played 10000000 in the first place.
The original is pretty miserable, if only because you can't move tiles while things are matching. It's not so bad at the beginning, but it really grates later on.

limited fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 6, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Saw this on Appsales: Hardboiled, a Fallout-inspired RPG/tactics game that looks fairly interesting.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Wow, OP was not kidding about that Final Fantasy Tactics port. Everything is strangely accelerated yet the framerate is choppy, sound quality is odd and the controls are very frustrating, though that could just be screen size. Thank god the play shop offers refunds.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

mrkillboy posted:

Saw this on Appsales: Hardboiled, a Fallout-inspired RPG/tactics game that looks fairly interesting.

Oh sweet: Running around, looting, and shooting is my jam. Is there anything randomized about this, though? Or if you restart, are lootable objects (corpses and the like) always in the same spot?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The reviews don't seem to mention anything about things in the game being randomized, so probably not.

So I've been playing Hitman: Sniper for the past few days and although I had some reservations early on I'm quite impressed with it. It's quite limited in scope (ha ha) in that you're restricted to only a single location but I really like how you're given objectives (like kill a guard with a fuse box explosion or score 80K points with a single shot and kill your mark) that really encourages problem solving and exploration of the level. I'm still not sure if its worth the $5 price tag they're asking, but its definitely a much deeper game than all those other F2P sniper games littering the Play Store.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Hm...in the absence of Hardboiled, is there another game like it that focuses on scavenging and looting, and perhaps combat? I tend to enjoy such things in a zombie setting (State of Decay, Dying Light, so sue me), but looting in a post-apocalyptic sense is always fun, which is why Hardboiled seems interesting to me. Any others I should look at?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Well I can't name any that's out at the moment but This War of Mine is coming out for Android next month, but its tablets only. The guy who made Canabalt also has a really intriguing "tactical roadtrip survival game" called Overland that's meant to be out soon as well.

edit: does Organ Trail count?

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 7, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

mrkillboy posted:

Well I can't name any that's out at the moment but This War of Mine is coming out for Android next month, but its tablets only. The guy who made Canabalt also has a really intriguing "tactical roadtrip survival game" called Overland that's meant to be out soon as well.

edit: does Organ Trail count?

This War of Mine is legitimately one of my favorite games of all time. Totally recommend it, and it will probably do very well as a tablet game.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

mrkillboy posted:

I just got a bomb and made matches that weren't crates, got it pretty quick after that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Wow, OP was not kidding about that Final Fantasy Tactics port. Everything is strangely accelerated yet the framerate is choppy, sound quality is odd and the controls are very frustrating, though that could just be screen size. Thank god the play shop offers refunds.

Out of curiosity, are you playing on a phone or tablet?

Not saying you're doing this, but I find half of the time reviews on Google Play are tainted with people who honestly expect Just Released Game to run on like a 4 year old mobile phone (or that a PC port plays shittily on a phone-sized screen.. who knew?!)

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Drone posted:

Out of curiosity, are you playing on a phone or tablet?

Not saying you're doing this, but I find half of the time reviews on Google Play are tainted with people who honestly expect Just Released Game to run on like a 4 year old mobile phone (or that a PC port plays shittily on a phone-sized screen.. who knew?!)

I was playing on a Galaxy S6 and I did consider that many of my control problems would probably be alleviated on a tablet. However the strange framerate variance reminded me quite a bit of the PSP version and my biggest gripe was that certain animations were far too fast.

It's still FFT and if you've never played it, it'll be a blast, but the quality of the port seemed significantly inferior to straight up playing it on an emulator.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Well poo poo, I've been waiting for a Fft port and now I'm a bit worried that it might suck. I've only ever played the game boy advance game, which was called Fft advance, but I loved it. Is this similar, and is this port worth it?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cippalippus posted:

Well poo poo, I've been waiting for a Fft port and now I'm a bit worried that it might suck. I've only ever played the game boy advance game, which was called Fft advance, but I loved it. Is this similar, and is this port worth it?

Download Final Fantasy Tactics for Android.

It'll blow your loving mind.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
You know, I purchased it right before you posted that, because good videogames that don't nickel and dime you are worth purchasing anyway. Thanks for your advice in any case!

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

limited posted:

The original is pretty miserable, if only because you can't move tiles while things are matching. It's not so bad at the beginning, but it really grates later on.

As someone who's tried to make a match-3 game work smoothly and quickly the fact that the game lets you do this considering the way it works is loving witchcraft.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
With the release of FFT, I clearly need to update the smarmy warning in the OP.

Is there anything else I should throw in while I've got it open?

Doctor Goon
Nov 15, 2013
Does anyone know how FFT would run on a LG G3? I really want to get this, but something tells me that this is the kind of game designed for tablets that would run like poo poo and be near unreadable on a phone :ohdear:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So on my tablet Hitman: Sniper makes it to "installing: 100%" and hangs there forever. Good stuff.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Doctor Goon posted:

Does anyone know how FFT would run on a LG G3? I really want to get this, but something tells me that this is the kind of game designed for tablets that would run like poo poo and be near unreadable on a phone :ohdear:

You can buy it and return it if it runs poorly.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Goon posted:

I want to pick it up for my G3, but I haven't had a chance yet. The screen size should be perfect since it's at least as big as the psp screen with much better resolution too. Plus, since it's turn based, the controls should be mostly forgiving of you make errors. I'm excited to grab it. I personally won't mind faster animations since it will keep the pace up.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Doctor Goon posted:

It runs on my S4, so you shouldn't have any real issues.

That said, I haven't gotten very far and the interface feels a little clunky.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I want to pick it up for my G3, but I haven't had a chance yet. The screen size should be perfect since it's at least as big as the psp screen with much better resolution too. Plus, since it's turn based, the controls should be mostly forgiving of you make errors. I'm excited to grab it. I personally won't mind faster animations since it will keep the pace up.

I only have experience with the ios version. But I found it much easier to use the control if you dragged your finger along the screen instead of pressing the screen. The game with follow your finger and highlight the action you are hovering over and releasing your finger from the screen will select the action.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

New Leaf posted:

It runs on my S4, so you shouldn't have any real issues.

That said, I haven't gotten very far and the interface feels a little clunky.

If you have a Galaxy Note, the S-Pen does work, and it's amazing for making the controls work, aside from the zoom.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

I've noticed that there are a number of Dragon Quest games on the play store, notably DQ IV, V, and VIII. Can anyone comment on the quality of these? I saw a virtual control stick in one of the VIII screenshots which was a bit offputting but I guess that's what I should expect with console ports.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I've noticed that there are a number of Dragon Quest games on the play store, notably DQ IV, V, and VIII. Can anyone comment on the quality of these? I saw a virtual control stick in one of the VIII screenshots which was a bit offputting but I guess that's what I should expect with console ports.

4 and 5 are really good, but you could also just get DraStic and emulate the totally legal roms and it would be the same experience, as those ports are based on the DS remakes.

Dunno about 8, I'm waiting on a 3DS remake of that one

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

If I remember, VIII is hosed up with a lovely frame rate and it runs in portrait for some reason. I actually like games that will run in portrait, but it seems hosed up if the game isn't built for it.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

precision posted:

4 and 5 are really good, but you could also just get DraStic and emulate the totally legal roms and it would be the same experience, as those ports are based on the DS remakes.

Dunno about 8, I'm waiting on a 3DS remake of that one

I've played 4 and 5 on DS and they were both fantastic, I'm more curious as to how they hold up compared to those versions with regard to framerate and controls and whatnot.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

it runs in portrait for some reason

I can't speak to anything else, but Sunning in the FF megathread addressed this - Japanese mobile gamers prefer games in portrait so they can look like they're doing work or whatever instead of gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

If I remember, VIII is hosed up with a lovely frame rate and it runs in portrait for some reason. I actually like games that will run in portrait, but it seems hosed up if the game isn't built for it.

To be fair, the game itself is fun as gently caress, and while I haven't played this port a lot of goons were happy with the game when it came out, even with those reasonable complaints.