Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Qatar would be killing workers regardless of a world cup, all they have been doing is building over the top projects so they can be the world's 1% luxury getaway.
It won't work because rich people like their booze too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Nah haven't you heard? Exactly zero people have died. It's true because it was in a government statement.

yea and if al jazeera says it as well. you know its true

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

How plausible is the "military arms for FIFA votes" story? Does it come from somebody who's likely to know?

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How plausible is the "military arms for FIFA votes" story? Does it come from somebody who's likely to know?

I was there. I can vouch for it

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't think for one second that germany got the worldcup without some dubious dealings, but the arms for vote thing is not a thing I would concentrate on. Germany is one of the biggest arms exporters in the world, has sold weapons to saudi arabia before and there was no embargo as such. Exports to saudi arabia have to be approved by the federal security council. I don't think a few Panzerfausts are something to talk about when we are talking about a country that wants to buy Leopards 2 from Germany.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

elwood posted:

I don't think for one second that germany got the worldcup without some dubious dealings, but the arms for vote thing is not a thing I would concentrate on. Germany is one of the biggest arms exporters in the world, has sold weapons to saudi arabia before and there was no embargo as such. Exports to saudi arabia have to be approved by the federal security council. I don't think a few Panzerfausts are something to talk about when we are talking about a country that wants to buy Leopards 2 from Germany.

drat these Ice Age spinoffs just keep coming

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Kwagga posted:

I was there. I can vouch for it

kwagga hears military arms and thinks he can upgrade his vishnu figurine

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

quote:

A 2007 email between supposed-to-be-resigning FIFA president Sepp Blatter and then-South African president Thabo Mbeki discussed $10 million that went to allegedly corrupt soccer executives as a payment for the country’s successful 2010 World Cup bid, reports South Africa’s Sunday Times.

According to the newspaper, FIFA secretary general and Blatter’s second-hand man Jerome Valcke asks in the email when the $10 million will be transferred, a dollar figure “based on discussions between FIFA and the South African government, and also between our President [Blatter] and President Thabo Mbeki.”

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
United Passions opened in the US this weekend. It grossed $607.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Independent posted:

If Blatter is its hero, the film’s villains are the bigoted English. In a scene set in 1904, an FA official complains about “blasted frogs”. In 1929, another muses poshly: “Negroes, playing football? Why not women while we’re at it?” Even as late as the 1970s, a dastardly Englishman suggests Africans can’t be trusted

Why did the English ever do to Blatter?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

Why did the English ever do to Blatter?
It's not just Blatter. His mentor Joao Havelange won the FIFA Presidency on a campaign platform of "Listen to me people of the developing world! This white stuffy English fucker hates you and hates football probably still wishes England had an empire so vote for me because you are the future!"

"And also take this money as a token of my appreciation"

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 8, 2015

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

African AIDS cum posted:

These are Hope Solo's private pics and you should respect that

holy poo poo lmao

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

All your awful posts in TFF have been wiped clean

gently caress off tff fag idiot bitch

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

trem_two posted:

Can't wait for it to be on RiffTrax. Maybe they can get John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman as guest riffers.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

African AIDS cum posted:

lol

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

African AIDS cum posted:

lmao

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

African AIDS cum posted:

Amazing!

Made me drop my phone

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

trem_two posted:

The first sentence is hilarious enough

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

trem_two posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought you were joking.

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...
Hope Solo's private pics grossed more than United Passions.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe a movie with scenes like these didn't gross over $1,000

Bonus from IGN's 19 Most Ridiculous Moments in United Passions

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Whether or not you think Metacritic is a flawed concept, it is currently rocking a 1/100 among critics.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/united-passions

0.5 from users.

Holy goddamn.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RT has it at 0% but 21% of users liked it :wtc:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/united_passions/

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Choice quotes from reviwers:

quote:

As cinema it is excrement. As proof of corporate insanity it is a valuable case study.

quote:

Earning the opposite of its intended effect, United Passions makes you believe we have yet to witness the true depths of FIFA's ego and arrogance.

quote:

This is the definition of failure

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
The nearest theater with it to me is an hour away so maybe tomorrow I'll check it out

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Josh Lyman posted:

RT has it at 0% but 21% of users liked it :wtc:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/united_passions/

There are only two user reviews, mind. some guy thought it was funny to give it a full score.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

ayb posted:

The nearest theater with it to me is an hour away so maybe tomorrow I'll check it out

Next week's box office you have to cut it out of variety or whatever and circle it. Frame it. Tell your grandchildren "that was my doing, that seven dollars."

I mean, you'll lie, because you'll sneak in rather than give them any money for that garbage.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Blatter is going to need the money for the commissary.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
if it comes up in a torrent or on youtube, someone let me know.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

African AIDS cum posted:

:supaburn:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Volkerball posted:

It's been out on Blu Ray/dvd for over a year in parts of Europe. I'm sure it's around.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
I watched United Passions and it's a great movie about a man with a dream, a masterpiece beyond The Birth of a Nation imo.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

trem_two posted:

The film opened in limited release in New York, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., Phoenix, Kansas City, Miami, Minneapolis, Houston, Dallas and Philadelphia. It cost $24 million to $32 million to make, and FIFA fronted three quarters of that.

:captainpop:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Party Plane Jones posted:

The film opened in limited release in New York, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., Phoenix, Kansas City, Miami, Minneapolis, Houston, Dallas and Philadelphia. It cost $24 million to $32 million to make, and FIFA fronted three quarters of that.

:captainpop:

Bullshit. If it's hard to see a movie in LA, it basically doesn't exist. Case in point, one miserable theater in North Hollywood (read: essex) is showing this piece of trash.

Good google, though.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/05/us-soccer-fifa-film-idUSKBN0OL2HA20150605

The Internet posted:

Francisco Carrillo, 62, said he came to the midday showing of "United Passions" at the North Hollywood's Laemmle theater, the only one in Los Angeles showing the film, because he is a fan of soccer, popular in his home country, Mexico.

"I like the World Cup, and the rules of soccer," he said. Carrillo said he had followed the scandal but came just for "entertainment."

Freelance sports writer Alex Goot, 31, said he was curious to gauge interest in the film.

"Even before the scandals and indictments unfolded, I wondered, who is the audience for this story? Even dedicated fans aren't going to care about FIFA in the boardroom," he said.

U.S. distributor Screen Media Films did not respond to requests for comment on Friday on why it chose to release the film at this time.

Goot said people who went to watch the film amid the scandal would not find much enlightenment in it.

"It feels very strange," Goot said. "It's not a movie presenting any true history."

Directed by French filmmaker Frederic Auburtin and also starring Gerard Depardieu and Sam Neill, "United Passions" has failed to win the praise of critics.

The New York Times reviewer Daniel M. Gold called it "one of the most unwatchable films in recent memory, a dishonest bit of corporate-suite sanitizing that's no good even for laughs."

Jordan Hoffman of British newspaper The Guardian called the film "a disgrace" and "excrement."

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I like the World Cup, and the rules of soccer

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
hey, take it easy. reuters mistranslated 'mierda'

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
This is actually Blatter's 'Springtime for Hitler' and everything's going to plan

Jayou
Mar 14, 2007

Sparkly Vampires are Wrestlicious!

Volkerball posted:

It is. And it's amazing.

I think within the 1st 2 scenes it's established that FIFA are kind hearted forward thinkers helping the sport and society. Whereas the English are a bunch of arseholes.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Jayou posted:

It is. And it's amazing.

I think within the 1st 2 scenes it's established that FIFA are kind hearted forward thinkers helping the sport and society. Whereas the English are a bunch of arseholes.

So they got half of it right

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jayou posted:

It is. And it's amazing.

Well, they're half right.

e, goddamnit so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
blatter did nothing wrong