Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bown posted:

Hey, I've seen a few posts about adding an extra slot to two-star gear. How do you go about this?

Get to level 20 and talk to spyke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah ok thank you! I figured it would involve that guy but I only just hit 17.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It also costs 30k, buttttttt during Splatfest all game wins award Super Sea Slugs which Spyke also accepts to upgrade gear or reroll subslots.

Only the freshest squids are members of

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I will be playing for Team Dog.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Infinitum posted:

It also costs 30k, buttttttt during Splatfest all game wins award Super Sea Slugs which Spyke also accepts to upgrade gear or reroll subslots.

Is it confirmed it's every win? That'd let someone upgrade like all the gear in the game if they play a bunch during the fest. :monocle: Or more likely spend like 20 of them trying to get rolls they want on their gear.

Reiley posted:

I will be playing for Team Dog.

Me too. Team Dog is team niche weapon tryhard I guess :cool:

quote:

team dog doesn't stand a chance because a ton of people like cats for some inexplicable reason

The brain parasites help, I guess.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 8, 2015

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
team dog doesn't stand a chance because a ton of people like cats for some inexplicable reason

that being said, team dog 4 lyfe

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

ugh why don't people actually pay attention to the splat zone in ranked and instead spend the entire time focusing on kills

Because MY KAY DEE ARE

Internet Kraken posted:

The problem here is you're acknowledging the existence of the splat zone. To properly get into the mentality of these people you need to get those kills, then dive into their spawn in an attempt to get more rather than capturing the zone they are currently in control of.

I had to quit last night after a match where the seconds were ticking down on the enemy counter and I'd gotten killed taking out the last member of the other team in the area, and instead of painting the empty splat zone to take it over, the last teammate over there super jumped back to the spawn for reasons that I will go to my grave not understanding.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 8, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TubeStank posted:

yeah so unless you have the ability to see in the future to see how bad your team is you probably shouldn't use tenacity
There's not too much else to be attached to in the headgear department though, in my opinion. I either use tenacity or ink saver main because dual squelcher chews through ink.

At least compared to blasters which are my other choice.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ranked should just track how much ink you spread on the point and place whoever had the most in first. Then people would always stay with it instead of running off for kills.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Just won a ranked match by knockout while down a man from the get-go on the mall. Blaster is extremely nice against people that overextend themselves.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

Me too. Team Dog is team niche weapon tryhard I guess :cool:

We try together, we die together. Bad guns for life

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I might need to switch to that too then - ninja squid has felt drat near useless lately

Ninja squid would be cool if it didn't reveal you on walls.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Internet Kraken posted:

Ranked should just track how much ink you spread on the point and place whoever had the most in first. Then people would always stay with it instead of running off for kills.

On the other hand getting 19 kills in 3 minutes feels amazing and drat the consequences I say

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Fawf posted:

On the other hand getting 19 kills in 3 minutes feels amazing and drat the consequences I say

If you're getting 19 kills and still losing, then your teammates aren't pulling their weight

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dizz posted:

Ninja squid would be cool if it didn't reveal you on walls.

IMO it needs to make you completely invisible in squid form unless you stay out of ink for a second or so. That way you can leap between ink puddles and actually sneak around properly. As it stands you can only swim unnotinced through an uninterrupted ink chain, which is rare. Also you can accomplish the same thing by just tilting the control stick slightly so why give up recon or cold blooded for that perk?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Would be better if it lets you also swim in enemy ink or at least not give your location on the map when you touch enemy ink or get hit.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

To be fair anything would be better if it largely let you ignore the core rules of the game.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

As it stands you can only swim unnotinced through an uninterrupted ink chain, which is rare.

It's not really rare if your team is diligent about covering the full map and not just the splat zone. It may be uncommon if the other team is also being thorough, but not rare.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Ninja squid is crazy good if paired with a longer ranged weapon like splattershot or squelcher since the extra space gives you much more leeway in sneaking into position. It's also really good for drawing enemy attention and forcing them to use resources to hunt you down or guard spots against you.

It's true that echolocator provides a strong counter, but that's kind of the point: ninja squid forces the enemy team to give up specials that are great at inking or claiming turf in favor of being able to defend against ninja squid. They have to make an effort to fill meter and use it consistently, because otherwise ninja squid is really, really powerful and a player skilled at using it is an extremely effective killer.. Even if you don't have the opportunity to use it often, simply having it available means that the enemy team has to expend resources on nulling it, all the time.

*edit*

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's not really rare if your team is diligent about covering the full map and not just the splat zone. It may be uncommon if the other team is also being thorough, but not rare.

This is also true, it's pretty weapon-dependent. I'd say it's best with the weapons I mentioned above because they're comparatively long-range but require being in the fray and are capable of laying down long lines fast without the charger's really obvious sights.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 8, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Count Uvula posted:

Is it confirmed it's every win? That'd let someone upgrade like all the gear in the game if they play a bunch during the fest. :monocle: Or more likely spend like 20 of them trying to get rolls they want on their gear.

Not every win, it's more of a threshold, like cast your vote and you get two, win 10 or so and that's another two, win 25 and two more and so on, then if your team wins your shell rewards double and i'm pretty sure the max number of shells you can win out of a single splatfest was 24 (which is a ton and should let you use whatever gear you want). The guide has the solid numbers but I can't find the pic.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

There's a reason I've stuck with Cold Blooded over Ninja Squid. The number of teams running echolocation is pretty high.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 8, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I played against someone earlier who got 12 kills and over 1000p with the inkbrush. I am now terrified of the inkbrush.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ninja Squid pairs really well with the Inkbrush for defense, although not quite so much for offense. It's really fun to watch someone wander into your territory thinking they've got free reign to paint over it, and then you shark up behind them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Ninja squid is crazy good if paired with a longer ranged weapon like splattershot or squelcher since the extra space gives you much more leeway in sneaking into position. It's also really good for drawing enemy attention and forcing them to use resources to hunt you down or guard spots against you.

It's true that echolocator provides a strong counter, but that's kind of the point: ninja squid forces the enemy team to give up specials that are great at inking or claiming turf in favor of being able to defend against ninja squid. They have to make an effort to fill meter and use it consistently, because otherwise ninja squid is really, really powerful and a player skilled at using it is an extremely effective killer.. Even if you don't have the opportunity to use it often, simply having it available means that the enemy team has to expend resources on nulling it, all the time.

I have literally never once thought "drat that ninja squid player is really messing us up". I've seen plenty of people run it but its basically irrelevant most of the time. Also echolocator isn't just a counter to ninja squid. Its always good to know EXACTLY where the enemy is regardless of what gear they have. Knowing where people are makes killing them much, much easier. Nobody is afraid of ninja squid and they aren't gonna farm echolocators simply to counter it. They're going to farm them to murder your team.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Its not rare at all for ink to be splattered all over the place, but having one long uninterrupted chain is. Cause all it takes is one person spraying ink haphazardly to ruin any ink lines your team has spread. And as soon as you have to leave the ink ninja squid is worthless.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 8, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, ducking and moving throughout ink is such an important part of combat that echolocator's main point is not countering ninja squid. It just gives you and your teammates a huge advantage over the enemy team, period.

Ninja squid doesn't get people to run echolocator and even if it did, that would be good for them because bar Cold Blood it's the most powerful special in the game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, I'm rocking the ninja squid cuz red hoodies are awesome, but it's fairly worthless for me. If I turn into a squid to escape people can still guess where i am easily by what ink's around me and the directions i can go to, and if i'm trying to escape by making a path then there's no point to having ninja squid.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So what's the deal with dog vs cat in the fest. Do we get to pick when it starts ?

njsykora posted:

I played against someone earlier who got 12 kills and over 1000p with the inkbrush. I am now terrified of the inkbrush.

This is me with the inkbrush. No one is safe. I'm just ferocious.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

So what's the deal with dog vs cat in the fest. Do we get to pick when it starts ?

It's going to be the US's teams in the upcoming Splatfest. The teams are different regionally and spread out on different days; Japan is divided into if you eat rice or bread for breakfast; Europe is if you prefer pop or rock music.
You'll pick your side, get matched up with the same team, and score points to win Super Sea Snails. The first Splatfest in the US is June 20 to June 21, so don't forget!

I'm rooting for Team Dog.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah, you have to pick a side when you get on after it starts, won't let you into a match until you vote.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I have literally never once thought "drat that ninja squid player is really messing us up". I've seen plenty of people run it but its basically irrelevant most of the time. Also echolocator isn't just a counter to ninja squid. Its always good to know EXACTLY where the enemy is regardless of what gear they have. Knowing where people are makes killing them much, much easier. Nobody is afraid of ninja squid and they aren't gonna farm echolocators simply to counter it. They're going to farm them to murder your team.

Fair enough, I guess I just don't find ecolocator as scary. The game already gives plenty of ways to get a rough approximation of the enemy's location, and it's not terribly hard to shore up potential avenues of attack, ink up an escape or assault route and stick yourself somewhere with good line of sight for 12 seconds. If I have any of the other specials ready, I have a pretty good "gently caress You" button too.

I do appreciate being able to prevent people from getting the jump on me, but honestly I feel like offensively it only makes it easier to kill people who have lousy awareness and/or positioning. This might force the enemy to play a bit more defensively, but games I've played where a team has tons of ecos tend to end with the other team eventually roaring back in an orgy of krakens and Inkstrikes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You're saying that echolocator's not hard to deal with if you're experienced, but that goes doubly for krakens and inkstrikes.

Also a team only really needs one or two echolocators since the whole team gets the benefit. That's part of what makes it powerful.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Cool just lost with overtime because the enemy shat out an inkstrike at the last second. Really balanced :bravo:

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

You're saying that echolocator's not hard to deal with if you're experienced, but that goes doubly for krakens and inkstrikes.

Also a team only really needs one or two echolocators since the whole team gets the benefit. That's part of what makes it powerful.

Right, I guess that's my point-nothing in the game is terribly hard to deal with if you know it's coming and what to do which makes is a pretty Good and Balanced game.

I roll Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump because I swim and move all over the goddamn place nonstop and pop out to off people from out of their effective range (or inside it) before they can line up a shot. Other people prefer Cold-Blooded and Ink resist with Eco so they can effectively hold positions. This morning I ran a gimmick build with .96 Gal and a ton of ink saving equipment so I could throw sprinklers like a maniac while offing people who tried to stop me before they could get in range, and it worked pretty well! One of the great things about the game so far is that even with minmaxing there are lots of ways to be effective and play well.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Infinitum posted:

Only the freshest squids are members of

Can you stop lying to people. Team Dog is the best.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I am really mad that rerolls apparently pull from ALL abilities, though, because it makes fashion squids a pain. The Stealth Jump w/ 3 Special Gauge sneakers I have are basically perfect for my build but are just OK looking.

I really hope at some point we get the ability to transfer abilities to other gear and/or alter the appearence of existing gear.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I learned how to aim decently and finally reached B rank.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dizz posted:

Just wait

until you are not

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Wanting this splatfest so we can finally get the BGM from 30:43 of the direct into the jukebox

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My dog died but I will honor her memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dizz posted:

Today I came to the realization that I've been aiming excessively low and not entirely straight ahead, and that the position I hold the gamepad in means I need to lean it down and recenter at the start of each match.

I have no idea how I made it to rank B without realizing this.

• Locked thread