Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Trying to do Lost unlocks in Isaac is like pulling teeth. I can't believe that Edmund thinks that The Lost is a good character as he currently is. He's just so painfully bad. The slightest bit of RNG bullshit is capable of ending a run or costing you a cat life and it's frustrating as gently caress because you already spent 20 minutes resetting for a decent start just to have it all come crashing down because you got Haunt as a boss or you got hit by a stray blood shot that was a pixel lower than you expected. And if you get to, like, Isaac or something, you can just get destroyed by a beam of light that you have absolutely no control over, or The Lamb could just charge you and it's just "Welp, guess that's an hour gone, BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME LOLOLOL!!"

Seriously, gently caress The Lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Had an XL floor and it was the same boss twice. Never happened to me before and I didn't realize it was possible.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Hypothetically because I know you'd have more luck with the Monster Manual spam method than this happening, if...

... you got the Book of Revelations on the first floor
... Womb I spawned a 5-pip Dice Room
... and Conquest showed up telling you to go gently caress yourself

... would it be possible to use the Dice room to reset the floor and get Death? Or does the Book of Revelations only work once a floor, even if you reset it? Or can Conquest double-gently caress you?

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Codiekitty posted:

Hypothetically because I know you'd have more luck with the Monster Manual spam method than this happening, if...

... would it be possible to use the Dice room to reset the floor and get Death? Or does the Book of Revelations only work once a floor, even if you reset it? Or can Conquest double-gently caress you?

you should be able to use the 5-pip room to have another chance to get death. conquest can double gently caress you though I'm pretty sure

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I had a Steam Sale drop from the dummy in a shop when I blew it up. I was making a withdrawal from the donation box and figured, might as well place the bomb to blow up the shopkeeper, he's often good for a couple of extra coins.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

IMJack posted:

A simple Afterbirth update: the Rag Man.

Just what this game needs, bosses that can self-heal and raise their adds en masse. And you might run into him in a crawlspace.

And any idea what the tag "jzfK" might refer to?

Self-heal? What? How? Both gifs only show enemy spawning, the health bar never refills his health

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

Self-heal? What? How? Both gifs only show enemy spawning, the health bar never refills his health

Yes it does. Check his health when he's standing in the purple light in the second gif; it goes up a bit.

It also seems to revive his spider minion, but I'm not sure if that's what's actually happening or not.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Oops, I missed that. It says a lot though, that little bump would probably take stock Isaac 6 shots to equal out. Not good overall design, but really ineffectual

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Nice early game slog boss. Not hard, just takes forever to kill if you didn't get any damage ups

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Or are Azazel

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Oh god please don't have bosses that refill their health, that is like the worst idea. We all saw how lovely it was in Eternal Mod, why start borrowing ideas from Florian now?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Well, you can get Super Envy in the first room now :suicide:

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Prop Wash posted:

Oh god please don't have bosses that refill their health, that is like the worst idea. We all saw how lovely it was in Eternal Mod, why start borrowing ideas from Florian now?

you do realize how little health it looks like he has and how little he restores in that gif? it looks like he restores about 3 shots worth of health from plain isaac. really not enough to warrant getting that upset about imo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

you do realize how little health it looks like he has and how little he restores in that gif? it looks like he restores about 3 shots worth of health from plain isaac. really not enough to warrant getting that upset about imo

It's Basement 1. There should be exactly 0 bosses that can heal themselves on Basement 1. I really hope that gif is placed in the basement just as a dev test because that's a real poo poo boss to put at the start of the game.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Codiekitty posted:

I had this happen to me a few weeks back, when you reroll the floor, even if you use the BoR, you get a non-horseman boss.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

Depends on how often he regenerates that little bit

Irving.jpg
Feb 5, 2007

Rhythm and blues.
Doesn't the health bar going up just reflect that a new add has spawned, not that the main boss has gained life?

edit - no I guess it doesn't count other spawns health

Irving.jpg fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 7, 2015

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
I, for one, am totally fine with a boss regenerating a tiny bit of health at any point in the early levels.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

omeg posted:

Well, you can get Super Envy in the first room now :suicide:

Fine, as long as they keep the easy reset intact. In fact, any Envy anywhere on the first floor and I mash R, or risk hating the game.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I just took a break from trying to beat Lost achievements to get The Stopwatch. Any other 'must have's? I think I have most everything but when I read about the stopwatch I really had to stop and get it.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

Cheekio posted:

I just took a break from trying to beat Lost achievements to get The Stopwatch. Any other 'must have's? I think I have most everything but when I read about the stopwatch I really had to stop and get it.

Stopwatch is an auto-win pretty much. Unless you're the lost.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Got monster manual on floor 2 as isaac; proceeded to not get a reroll setup for the entire rest of the game.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Nighthand posted:

Got monster manual on floor 2 as isaac; proceeded to not get a reroll setup for the entire rest of the game.

Too early for that. I would hope to get the manual in the chest or somewhere AFTER I got my reroll setup.

Manual is easy to get if you've got the infinite rerolls set up. Getting the setup is the harder part.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Vic Boss posted:

Stopwatch is an auto-win pretty much. Unless you're the lost.

This. The Stopwatch will get you to Isaac, and then you'll get RNG-beamed and have to start over. :suicide:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The light things Isaac shoots can be gamed fairly easily, just go up a bit then back down to the bottom. The light follows you a bit so it leaves a gap at the bottom of the screen.

cryptoclastic posted:

Too early for that. I would hope to get the manual in the chest or somewhere AFTER I got my reroll setup.

Manual is easy to get if you've got the infinite rerolls set up. Getting the setup is the harder part.

The last time I've even seen the Monster Manual was in, like, January. This includes dicking around with the infinite Basement seed

not even kidding

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

The light things Isaac shoots can be gamed fairly easily, just go up a bit then back down to the bottom. The light follows you a bit so it leaves a gap at the bottom of the screen.

Beams in phase 2 are totally random. Phase 3 has the nice regular ones.

Also Daddy Longlegs random stomps which apply damage before the leg is even on the screen.

omeg fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 8, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Nighthand posted:

You want to keep the D6 at the very least until the shop gives you the sharp plug, and then afterwards for the first chest room.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You also need a way to heal yourself, because the effects of the Monster Manual disappear once you leave the room. Pyromaniac + infinite explosives works well for this, but I've always found that getting Pyromaniac and a source of explosives (Ipecac, Dr. Fetus, Epic Fetus, etc.) is kind of a challenge because RNG likes to gently caress you over as it is with most breaking methods.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I believe all of those items are special, which means that getting both Pyromaniac and an explosive tear in one run is very unlikely

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Once you have an infinite roll setup, it's relatively easy to get a D20, which you can can then use to get an unlimited number of bombs.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.
Whenever I learn of more totally random poo poo that can ruin a Lost run, I'm glad I never did it legitimately. I will always accept that I cannot legit get RPG, and I'm fine with that. I won't even try. I'm sane.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Things that can ruin a Lost run:

- Spiders
- The Haunt
- Judas' Shadow/Lazarus' Rags
- Spiders
- Red fires
- Being off by a pixel while dodging projectiles
- Cellar 2 Fistula
- That one room in Caves with the 5 Boom Flies and no room to maneuver
- Spiders
- Isaac's 2nd phase RNG-beams
- Being too fast and ramming yourself into a fire
- Trying to leave a Cursed Room
- Getting the Red angel as a boss in the Angel Room
- Red Mom
- Spiders
- The Haunt
- Skeletons
- The Bloat
- Spiders

Manatee Cannon posted:

I believe all of those items are special, which means that getting both Pyromaniac and an explosive tear in one run is very unlikely

Ipecac isn't special anymore, so it's reasonable to get both Pyromaniac and Ipecac in a run. Kamikaze will also work.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The only thing I consistently die to every time I see it as the Lost is loving Daddy Long Legs and it's bullshit instant attacks before you can damage him.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

QuantaStarFire posted:

Things that can ruin a Lost run:

- Spiders
- The Haunt
- Judas' Shadow/Lazarus' Rags
- Spiders
- Red fires
- Being off by a pixel while dodging projectiles
- Cellar 2 Fistula
- That one room in Caves with the 5 Boom Flies and no room to maneuver
- Spiders
- Isaac's 2nd phase RNG-beams
- Being too fast and ramming yourself into a fire
- Trying to leave a Cursed Room
- Getting the Red angel as a boss in the Angel Room
- Red Mom
- Spiders
- The Haunt
- Skeletons
- The Bloat
- Spiders

Ipecac isn't special anymore, so it's reasonable to get both Pyromaniac and Ipecac in a run. Kamikaze will also work.

Red poops anywhere in the room = you're gonna get hit. Their hitbox is the size of like 7 rooms. Red poop spawns on that floor? You're hit.

What I'm saying is I think red poops should be removed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was cruise controlling through rooms I'd already cleared as The Lost once and ran into a devil beggar that I'd forgot was there

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Manatee Cannon posted:

I was cruise controlling through rooms I'd already cleared as The Lost once and ran into a devil beggar that I'd forgot was there

That's why you blow up all demon beggars/blood banks as the Lost, and also extinguish all fires. It's Lost 101.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You act as though I had bombs

Sometimes hard mode gives you drops, sometimes... well, I didn't want in those treasure rooms anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely dislike how Hard Mode impacts those sorts of drops.

Honestly, I don't really like treasure rooms being locked. It's just kind of a RNG screwjob waiting to happen and otherwise isn't really a meaningfully interesting choice.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The only times I don't have keys on my second floor is when I'm playing on the Vita. The Vita version is up to date with the PC one, right? It happens way too often to be a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Hard mode only affects red heart drops