Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

chitoryu12 posted:

Can we have this song in the next West Coast game then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho

If they can afford the licensing fee, they'd include it.

There was an early plan for FNV where you'd wake up after an evening drinking with Cass and The King would be serenading you both because you'd gotten a quickie New Vegas wedding while you were drunk. It died because 1) Companion romances were dropped because Chris Avellone doesn't like them and 2) they couldn't possibly afford to license anything Elvis-related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
when are they gonna finish that Skyrim/Morrowind conversion mod already

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

the only song i want a fallout game to have is "what a wonderful world" it is the most fallout song to never be in a fallout game

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If they can afford the licensing fee, they'd include it.

There was an early plan for FNV where you'd wake up after an evening drinking with Cass and The King would be serenading you both because you'd gotten a quickie New Vegas wedding while you were drunk. It died because 1) Companion romances were dropped because Chris Avellone doesn't like them and 2) they couldn't possibly afford to license anything Elvis-related

Someone mod this in now.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Lazy_Liberal posted:

when are they gonna finish that Skyrim/Morrowind conversion mod already

Still no solid date but based on the most recent footage, it seems pretty far along so I'm hoping for late this year. Enderal, the mod made by the Nehrim guys, might also be out around that time.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

FutonForensic posted:

Still no solid date but based on the most recent footage, it seems pretty far along so I'm hoping for late this year. Enderal, the mod made by the Nehrim guys, might also be out around that time.

Noice. :cool:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

the only song i want a fallout game to have is "what a wonderful world" it is the most fallout song to never be in a fallout game

I love louis but that's closer to the 70s.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Cardboard Box posted:

That'll be in the Fallout 5 teaser trailer which will consist solely of the camera slowly zooming out from a billboard full of classic Americana until the wasteland is shown for a brief second.

Game of the Show E3 2020

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I love louis but that's closer to the 70s.

the bombs fell in 2077 and the song fits close enough to the series' 1950s post-war sensibilities that it would be fine i think

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If I get my way there'll be more billie holiday in this game, or else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69CS90p-s80

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

the bombs fell in 2077 and the song fits close enough to the series' 1950s post-war sensibilities that it would be fine i think

Fair enough, it's all fantasy anyways.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cardboard Box posted:

It's not like the game is totally devoid of anything non-50s anyway. New Vegas adds AR-15s (including carbines, ACOG sights, and modern furniture that didn't exist in real life until the 2000s) and anything that isn't specifically given a 50s aesthetic is very modern and sometimes modern futuristic (like Raven Rock and the Hidden Valley bunker). Fallout 2 had the HK G11, an experimental design that was most prominent in the 1980s, and the P90 (which premiered in 1991). The first two Fallouts actually had extremely little of the 1950s atomic aesthetic from the pre-war days visible in the game and cribbed from virtually anything the developers wanted, including plenty of 80s and 90s poo poo. The 1950s only became a massive and defining part of the Fallout aesthetic with Fallout 3, where Bethesda basically designed everything pre-war to be an outright clone of the 1950s with more robots and lasers and filled the soundtrack with oldies. New Vegas was actually making many strides back toward the original games' aesthetic.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Bethesda has confirmed that they're ditching the entire 1950's vibe and going with a more modern soundtrack. Here's the main theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvnP6BmQvEk&t=69s

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Odobenidae posted:

Bethesda has confirmed that they're ditching the entire 1950's vibe and going with a more modern soundtrack. Here's the main theme:

We all know the entire soundtrack will be stuff in the public domain and local Boston indie music.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Fallout 4 needs Fats Waller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA1kCissAGQ

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In Gearbox's Half-Life expansion "Opposing Force", protagonist Adrian Shepherd finds an experimental weapon that allows him to create gateways in Spacetime (did somebody say Portal?) that allow him to traverse between Xen and planet Earth.

In Fallout 4, there will be an experimental weapon developed by "The Institute" that will randomly teleport the player to a location on the map--including places that haven't been accessed yet and places that are otherwise impossible to reach. The Kotaku rumor-mill purports that, among these locations, there will be a chance to appear far above the worldmap (leading to an inevitable falling death), a Vault-Tec nursery occupied by a doctor with a very familiar voice, and one that mistakenly transposes the player with his/her German Shepherd (an allusion to Adrian Shepherd??).

However, the feature is allegedly "incredibly buggy", with the player frequently appearing inside of walls and other NPCs--in one such scene, the player teleported inside of a Red Army ghoul, who screamed and screamed until the engine caught up to the error and killed them both in a violent explosion of gibs that broke all textures until the game was restarted.

Cocaine is a fun drug isn't it?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Odobenidae posted:

Still better than the theme to Enterprise.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Odobenidae posted:

It's going to be wall to wall Fall Out Boy

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

"war. war never changes."

we're goin DAH DUH ALEEDALIDUAWUA

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Why haven't any of the Fallouts used Tom Lehrer yet?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I just want a tribe that has devolved into making generic Bostonian growls that needs to be subtitled, but the subtitles have them speaking in grandiose Elizabethan English.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I want a horse

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

horses r ded sorry

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:smithfrog:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Perhaps a saddle trained deathclaw?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Lawnchair tied to like 30 cazadores.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Actually just let us play as a deathclaw already

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zzulu posted:

Actually just let us play as a deathclaw already

We've been able to play as a Deathclaw since March 15th, 2001, the date when Fallout: Tactics was installed on all of our hard drives.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
I'll play fallout 4 but not until a couple months after release when mod support has turned it into a proper modern game and they have also added horses and maybe even horse combat.

Currently I am playing The Switcher 3 and it has many horses and is a good fun game that I like a lot.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

We've been able to play as a Deathclaw since March 15th, 2001, the date when Fallout: Tactics was installed on all of our hard drives.

But have you played as a Deathclaw...IN FIRST PERSON????

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

And NMA got extremely mad that Deathclaws that existed in the midwestern climes of Tactics/BoS would evolve/grow/mutate hair. You know, in a game that radioactive materials cause extra heads to grow.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

MisterBibs posted:

And NMA got extremely mad that Deathclaws that existed in the midwestern climes of Tactics/BoS would evolve/grow/mutate hair. You know, in a game that radioactive materials cause extra heads to grow.

Well radiation does tend to damage follicles and make hair fall out / grow in thinner

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hot Jam posted:

Currently I am playing The Switcher 3 and it has many horses and is a good fun game that I like a lot.
Witcher 3 has completely changed the RPG game to me, an open world with actual character, interesting NPCs and basically no fetch quests whatsoever is so much better than Skyrim it's not even funny. I'm sure I'll have a big problem with coming back to Bethesda's Fallout storytelling because of that too.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Hot Jam posted:

I'll play fallout 4 but not until a couple months after release when mod support has turned it into a proper modern game and they have also added horses and maybe even horse combat.

You will be paying for every one of those Mod's you know, right?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Comstar posted:

You will be paying for every one of those Mod's you know, right?

Explain?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
To provide a bit more common ground between NV fanatics and F3 believers, I want to turn your attention to this long-rear end loving video which might drone on too long for most of you, but I think can change a few minds in appreciating the strengths both games had and recognize they might be different, but not necessarily better than each other in every way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bgz5XKNZnU

Also doesn't hurt that it's the only speculation video I kinda agree 100% with.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not like the game is totally devoid of anything non-50s anyway. New Vegas adds AR-15s (including carbines, ACOG sights, and modern furniture that didn't exist in real life until the 2000s) and anything that isn't specifically given a 50s aesthetic is very modern and sometimes modern futuristic (like Raven Rock and the Hidden Valley bunker). Fallout 2 had the HK G11, an experimental design that was most prominent in the 1980s, and the P90 (which premiered in 1991). The first two Fallouts actually had extremely little of the 1950s atomic aesthetic from the pre-war days visible in the game and cribbed from virtually anything the developers wanted, including plenty of 80s and 90s poo poo. The 1950s only became a massive and defining part of the Fallout aesthetic with Fallout 3, where Bethesda basically designed everything pre-war to be an outright clone of the 1950s with more robots and lasers and filled the soundtrack with oldies. New Vegas was actually making many strides back toward the original games' aesthetic.
It's always been confusing to me, having grown up with only stuff like Mad Max and the modern Lost in Space, I never really identified any motif from Fallout 1 and 2 as the 50's, but as stuff from both the 80's and 90's. And then FO3 came out and said it was maintaining that feel and I'm very "okay, is that what it was? I thought it was all Mad Max".

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
In case you missed the Internet having a minor stroke over the whole pay-for-mods debacle a while ago:
Someone at Valve looked at people using mods and thought to themselves "Hey, a lot of people seem to be using mods. Why don't we see if can't make people pay money for that. We're Valve, so there's no way this will blow up in our face despite this being a stupid idea".
Valve then approached Bethesda with this idea and Bethesda thought: "We're going to get paid, while having done no work. Valve, I love you! This is an awesome idea!".
They then implemented a pay-for-mods scheme for Skyrim. It was a lovely idea, that was implemented in a really dumb way. I won't go into detail why since this isn't the thread for it. But the important thing is that while the whole thing was stupid, it wasn't unsuccessful. People actually paid for mods.
Surprisingly Valve & Bethesda were impressed by the Internet shaking its fist in impotent rage and removed the pay-for-mods scheme after just a few days. However both Valve & Bethesda made statements that heavily implied that they don't think this was a bad idea, just that stapling it into an existing modding community like Skyrim's was the problem and that they'll try it again.

So yeah. There's a non-zero chance Valve & Bethesda might try the pay-for-mods thing again for FO4.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

It's always been confusing to me, having grown up with only stuff like Mad Max and the modern Lost in Space, I never really identified any motif from Fallout 1 and 2 as the 50's, but as stuff from both the 80's and 90's. And then FO3 came out and said it was maintaining that feel and I'm very "okay, is that what it was? I thought it was all Mad Max".

you skipped the opening or something because that was 50s as gently caress and set the tone for the rest of the game in many ways imo

but yes it was of course a mix of different ages/styles

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Raygereio posted:

In case you missed the Internet having a minor stroke over the whole pay-for-mods debacle a while ago:
Someone at Valve looked at people using mods and thought to themselves "Hey, a lot of people seem to be using mods. Why don't we see if can't make people pay money for that. We're Valve, so there's no way this will blow up in our face despite this being a stupid idea".
Valve then approached Bethesda with this idea and Bethesda thought: "We're going to get paid, while having done no work. Valve, I love you! This is an awesome idea!".
They then implemented a pay-for-mods scheme for Skyrim. It was a lovely idea, that was implemented in a really dumb way. I won't go into detail why since this isn't the thread for it. But the important thing is that while the whole thing was stupid, it wasn't unsuccessful. People actually paid for mods.
Surprisingly Valve & Bethesda were impressed by the Internet shaking its fist in impotent rage and removed the pay-for-mods scheme after just a few days. However both Valve & Bethesda made statements that heavily implied that they don't think this was a bad idea, just that stapling it into an existing modding community like Skyrim's was the problem and that they'll try it again.

So yeah. There's a non-zero chance Valve & Bethesda might try the pay-for-mods thing again for FO4.

I did miss that after transforming into a console kiddy by having actual human kids and wanting my video games plug and play (console).. Didnt even know this was a thing. Bummer.

I'll probably play on PS4 and miss the good and bad of mods in general though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

my brother works at bethesda and he says that they originally started working on fallout as a grand worldwide experiment to see how many lovely games they could make with the "Fallout" title and still make money

it's like a big joke over there, "haha when you mention a new fallout game these loving nerds try to get out their wallets so fast that they wind up tripping over themselves, actually it looks a lot like one of the goofy bugs in our lovely engine"

for real though I am glad that the trailer has actual color in it, their engine is capable of creating some nice looking stuff so it never made sense that they chose to limit themselves to a spectrum of color between brown and grey

• Locked thread