Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

What type of loving dictatorship school drug tests sixth graders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I'm 26 and that's pretty humiliating. Are they drug testing 11 yr olds?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Seriously. This requires elaboration.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Urine tests can detect a whole host of medical issues beyond drug use.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Soulex posted:

What type of loving dictatorship school drug tests sixth graders?

The ones in South Korea, apparently.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I'm wondering why they were embarrassed that the boys could NOT see them handing their urine over.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
It's a diabetes test. They're really worried about diabetes here.

And pookel: they were embarrassed because they thought the boys wouldn't be able to see them handing over their pee, but they (the boys) could. They were at opposite ends of the gym, but there wasn't a screen blocking the handover.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Maybe they wouldn't have to worry if they stopped putting sugar in oh, loving everything. But no, I love cooking Korean food when it's not dredged in the stuff.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I'm an aide in a fourth grade classroom. A few months ago we had a substitute teacher and because the kids were well behaved she was calling them over group by group to show them a relevant educational youtube video on her phone. Now keep in mind, I didn't watch the video myself, but the woman is like 70 years old and most of the kids were reacting pleasantly and calmly entertained by it so I figured there wasn't a high risk that it was something inappropriate.

She finishes showing one group and one boy BURSTS away from her and starts staggering toward me from across the classroom, laughing so hard he is squealing and shrieking, like almost crying with laugher. "MISS BRAVO MISS BRAVO"

"What's up?"

"THE SUBSTITUTE SHOWED US A YOUTUBE VIDEO"

"Uh huh?"

"AND AT THE BEGINNING.... THERE WAS AN AD"

:stare: "Uh huh?"

"AND THERE WAS A WOMAN"

:stonk: (oh god oh god)

"..... IN A BIKINI!!!"

And he ran away cackling.

sweeperbravo has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Jun 7, 2015

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
We went over to my friend's house today, where my mom taught my kids and my friend's kids to make and decorate their own kites.

Friend's daughter, almost 6, drew some hearts and flowers.
Friend's older daughter, 8, drew a nice landscape with birds and a flower.
My son, 10, drew a Minecraft creeper face.

My younger son, 7.5, drew an Erlenmeyer flask with green clouds coming out, and explained that it was chlorine gas.-

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

hahaha, my kids will scream and cover their faces if they see a girl in any kind of swimsuit. Funnier considering how popular the jjimjilbang is.

kinmik posted:

Maybe they wouldn't have to worry if they stopped putting sugar in oh, loving everything. But no, I love cooking Korean food when it's not dredged in the stuff.

GARLIC BREAD :stonk: WTF YOU GUYS

Basically, aside from a handful of things, I have to cook Korean food myself if I don't want it to be a sugary mess. Sucks.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

bringmyfishback posted:

hahaha, my kids will scream and cover their faces if they see a girl in any kind of swimsuit. Funnier considering how popular the jjimjilbang is.

Basically, aside from a handful of things, I have to cook Korean food myself if I don't want it to be a sugary mess. Sucks.

Wait, seriously? Sugar on garlic bread? Why, though?

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

pookel posted:

We went over to my friend's house today, where my mom taught my kids and my friend's kids to make and decorate their own kites.

Friend's daughter, almost 6, drew some hearts and flowers.
Friend's older daughter, 8, drew a nice landscape with birds and a flower.
My son, 10, drew a Minecraft creeper face.

My younger son, 7.5, drew an Erlenmeyer flask with green clouds coming out, and explained that it was chlorine gas.-

That's adorable, in a bizarre way.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
"Adorable in a bizarre way" is a great summary of that child. :allears:

Recently he bumped a button in Bloons Monkey City on his tablet and accidentally used up his precious bloonstones. He was screaming and throwing a fit at school, and his special ed teacher suggested writing a letter to the creators. He came home with this on paper, and then typed it up and e-mailed Ninjakiwi:

quote:

Dear creators of bloons monkey city, I have a suggestion on using bloonstones. When using monkey boost or red hot spikes maybe you could make an "are you sure" button before buying monkey boost or red hot spikes. I bumped a button and it made me use 20 bloonstones that I had saved. This upset me very much and ythat is why I came up with this suggestion. Thank you for your consideration.
Sincerely,
Simon

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
pookel, your (special needs?) son is more rational and coherent than most thirteen to twenty-somethings I know. Good on you, Simon. :3:

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

That's a remarkably polite and coherent letter for having been written in a fit of frustration. Kudos to that kid.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

That is the basic rule of all and any customer service interaction. "I am upset with thing. I suggest thing be altered, thank you." You get so much out of phrasing it that way. Glad he caught onto that early. Also, your son sounds adorable, I love the little flask story.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I think his teacher helped him a bit, but he was so darn proud of himself for writing a real letter. :3:

This is the same highly verbal autistic kid I posted about upthread who once told me "Note: I did not ask for TWO pieces of toast" and who tried to lecture his second-grade class about plasma when his teacher told them there were three states of matter. I have no shortage of stories about him, that's for sure.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

He sounds pretty great, not gonna lie.

Oh hey, I do have a kid story to share - last summer, my daughter (6 at the time) ran into one of the teacher aides she knew at the food court. The aide said "Hey, how's my little princess?" Kiddo frowned at her and said, "I'm not a princess, I'm a real girl."

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

KillerEggplant posted:

Oh hey, I do have a kid story to share - last summer, my daughter (6 at the time) ran into one of the teacher aides she knew at the food court. The aide said "Hey, how's my little princess?" Kiddo frowned at her and said, "I'm not a princess, I'm a real girl."

:vince:

She's the best!

To contribute; I think my deaf 2-year-old kiddo made a neat joke a few days ago. She was smiling and laughing while signing CAR + HAT. I looked around and figured out that that's what she was calling taxis. Those little placards do look kinda like hats!

The Lemondrop Dandy has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Jun 9, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

KillerEggplant posted:

Cute.

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

:vince:

She's the best!

To contribute; I think my deaf 2-year-old kiddo made a neat joke a few days ago. She was smiling and laughing while signing CAR + HAT. I looked around and figured out that that's what she was calling taxis. Those little placards do look kinda like hats!

I love it when kids name poo poo. gently caress, I can't remember if I brought this up or not, but a while back, a friend's niece was over and she's very, very quiet. She doesn't really understand how people's names work, so one girl was "Galileo" for example. I leaned down and asked her if she knew my name.

:3: :"Cookies."
"Sure, why not."

TINY T-REX ARMS
Feb 12, 2011
My two year old son has gotten into the habit of saying "uh-oh" ALL. DAY. Just a constant stream of "uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh".

Yesterday he was in the backseat with his cousin (five months older and a helluva lot more verbal) and sure enough, my kid spouts off with his mantra when the song on the radio ends.

My nephew looks at him and says, very reassuringly "Is okay, Ducky, is okay!"

Later, when I was babysitting said nephew my son started crying for some two year old reason. I look at my nephew whose just staring at my kid and I say to him: "Isn't Ducky a crybaby?"

Nephew: "I KNOW." *turns away to go play blocks on the other side of the room*

....My family calls my kid "Ducky" because he makes the duck face when he's concentrating super hard.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
At a viewing yesterday, my 10-year-old niece asked me, "how do they get the suit on him without getting grossed out?"

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

detectivemonkey posted:

At a viewing yesterday, my 10-year-old niece asked me, "how do they get the suit on him without getting grossed out?"

I'm reading a book right now about a woman who worked at a mortuary. This timely quote gave me a good laugh, thanks.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

TINY T-REX ARMS posted:

My two year old son has gotten into the habit of saying "uh-oh" ALL. DAY. Just a constant stream of "uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh".

Yesterday he was in the backseat with his cousin (five months older and a helluva lot more verbal) and sure enough, my kid spouts off with his mantra when the song on the radio ends.

My nephew looks at him and says, very reassuringly "Is okay, Ducky, is okay!"

Later, when I was babysitting said nephew my son started crying for some two year old reason. I look at my nephew whose just staring at my kid and I say to him: "Isn't Ducky a crybaby?"

Nephew: "I KNOW." *turns away to go play blocks on the other side of the room*

....My family calls my kid "Ducky" because he makes the duck face when he's concentrating super hard.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
My 8-year-old son likes jokes. Yesterday at Dinner I was mentioning how I love the show Hannibal to my parents at the table, and he decides to mishear it and comes up with "Hammibal" a pig that eats bacon for breakfast.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

My 8-year-old son likes jokes. Yesterday at Dinner I was mentioning how I love the show Hannibal to my parents at the table, and he decides to mishear it and comes up with "Hammibal" a pig that eats bacon for breakfast.

Holy crap, today one of my kids accidentally wrote "Chris Hamsworth" instead of Hemsworth and another kid saw it immediately screamed "TEACHER HE'S DELICIOUS!"

Dangeresque
Dec 6, 2008

bringmyfishback posted:

One of the things I remember from my time in Korea is the corn bread they sold at the bakery. Obviously it was made by someone who had heard of the name cornbread, but had no idea conceptually what it was. Behold then the wonders of a loaf of squishy white bread with whole kernels of sweetcorn suspended in it.

I'd almost be willing to forgive this if it were some small independent store run by a well meaning grandma trying something new, but this was at Paris Baguette, an international chain. This product went through a committee and this is what they came up with.

On a more relevant note. When I was teaching in Korea one of my students didn't show up for class on Monday, so I asked the other children where she was, as some of them went to the same elementary school before coming to my school for English. The answer I got was, "Lola throat cut". I was a bit shocked and asked if she was ok and what happened, and they kept repeating "Lola throat cut", and drawing their fingers across their throats. Eventually one girl added the word doctor to the sentence and I remembered that I had been told the week before that Lola wouldn't be coming to class that day because she was having her tonsils removed. A procedure I would probably not describe as having one's throat cut, but oh well at least they were trying.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Choco1980 posted:

This is pretty sharp for an 8-year-old.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

detectivemonkey posted:

As a former suit-getter-onner, tell your kid we de-gross them first. :3:

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Sex Hobbit posted:

As a former suit-getter-onner, tell your kid we de-gross them first. :3:

Start an A/T thread? I'm sure plenty of people would be interested :)

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Teketeketeketeke posted:

I don't want to hear about dead people from someone named "Sex Hobbit".

I'm sure you're a lovely human being, but gah.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Gravitee posted:

I don't want to hear about dead people from someone named "Sex Hobbit".

I'm sure you're a lovely human being, but gah.

What a stiff.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
My daughter was about 2, maybe younger. She was napping, so I started to play a bit of Fall Out Vegas. For the uninitiated, it's an open-world FPS and is really quite gory in places.

She woke up from her nap and I brought her into the room. I don't normally play violent games in front of her, but I happened to just be running between landmarks, so I figured I'd get to where I was going, save, and switch off. If I encountered any enemies, I'd just run away from them.

What I failed to take into account was that I had a companion with me. He spotted a human enemy and promptly shot him the head with a rifle.

When you kill someone in Fallout it goes into this lovely slow motion cinematic of them dying/exploding or whatever. Luckily, this was a gore-free kill, and the guy just slumped to the floor. I awaited comment from my impressionable daughter.

"Oh! Man fall over!"

Yeah, that'll do.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Teketeketeketeke posted:

I only did it for a year and at a less-busy funeral home (I worked probably about 150 funerals total) so I feel like I wouldn't have all that much material. It'd have to be half "[ASK] me about working in a funeral home" and half "[ASK] me about working for insane fundamentalist Baptist homeschooling hoarders"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sex Hobbit posted:

"[ASK] me about working for insane fundamentalist Baptist homeschooling hoarders"
:siren:I am absolutely asking you about this.:siren:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Sex Hobbit posted:

I only did it for a year and at a less-busy funeral home (I worked probably about 150 funerals total) so I feel like I wouldn't have all that much material. It'd have to be half "[ASK] me about working in a funeral home" and half "[ASK] me about working for insane fundamentalist Baptist homeschooling hoarders"

I was semi interested before.

Now I'm actually quite interested.

For content, my 3 year old a couple of days ago asked me if I had a friend. I said yes, I have a few friends. He then told me that he didn't have millions of friends. He didn't have one friend. Matthew (a kid from his daycare) told him he couldn't be his best friend anymore because he and him mum were going to jail, and they'd never see each other again.

Matthew and his mother are not going to jail. The thought of this happening clearly bothered my son enough to come to me and tell me all about it, and make sure I had friends (and I assured him he still had lots of friends aside from Matthew anyway) but he didn't seem overly concerned. This thing is happening. Oh well.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Sex Hobbit posted:

Thirding the request to hear more about this. We want the horrifying details, sir or madame.

Content: Last Thursday, when I picked my daughter up from school, she decided to tell me what she did at recess. "I was an Allosaurus, and I chased ALL THE BOYS!" She curled her arms up into little claws. "RAAARRR!"

Good job, sweetie. You get 'em. :3:

Buh
May 17, 2008
I so want to hear about that second topic tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My boss's five year old daughter is obsessed with presidents, for some reason. Makes him read her encyclopedia entries about them in lieu of bedtime stories, has a poster of all of them on her wall, etc. Last Christmas, he told her they were going to watch the Garfield special, one of his childhood favorites, and she got really excited. After a few minutes, she got really pouty and told him to turn it off. When he asked why, she replied, very accusingly:

"You told me this was about President Garfield, and it's just about an orange cat :mad:"