Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
In the Daily Show podcast, Trevor Noah talked about how one of his South African childhood friends was named Hitler.

It was still apartheid when he got the name and the legacy of British colonialism was still strong; some people were willing to severely whitewash Adolf because he "stood up" to the Brits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I guess as a point of comparison you could look at how they talk about Pol Pot. He might not have gone around conquering people like Hitler but he was still horrible and much more local to SE Asia. I don't actually know how he's treated there but that might be a good barometer on their attitudes towards genocide in general.

Also see how he's talked about in the west (or rather, see how he's basically just "a dictator" to us and that's about it).

I remember Pol Pot being discussed with more detail in the US, but that may be because the fall of Phnom Penh was during my lifetime (it was the same sort of vaguely-understood news as the Soviets in Afghanistan when I was tiny).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sepp Blatter just resigned as FIFA president.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

bud limes for everyone

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Well holy poo poo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
This weeks episode and Bugle are going to be so giddy. Will he get a fuckeulogy as his presidency is dead?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I guess as a point of comparison you could look at how they talk about Pol Pot. He might not have gone around conquering people like Hitler but he was still horrible and much more local to SE Asia. I don't actually know how he's treated there but that might be a good barometer on their attitudes towards genocide in general.

Also see how he's talked about in the west (or rather, see how he's basically just "a dictator" to us and that's about it).

A somewhat specific example within the west would be the treatment of Oliver Cromwell. A lot of people see him as a champion of early democracy, breaking the power of feudal monarchs, so forth. The Irish don't generally take kindly to that view.

njsykora posted:

Sepp Blatter just resigned as FIFA president.

Oliver has got to be kicking himself for blowing the load on a sequel report too early.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm sure they'll cover it at the top of next show in the "recap of the week" segment. He'll almost certainly drink a BLL.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timett posted:

I'm sure they'll cover it at the top of next show in the "recap of the week" segment. He'll almost certainly drink a BLL.

Well the point was if Bud drops their FIFA sponsoring. But he probably will anyway.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I could listen to John crush FIFA every episode. :allears:

Astro Nut posted:

A somewhat specific example within the west would be the treatment of Oliver Cromwell. A lot of people see him as a champion of early democracy, breaking the power of feudal monarchs, so forth. The Irish don't generally take kindly to that view.

Cromwell was also ~400 years ago, not 70ish. In 400 years it would be way less of an issue but gently caress at least give it a full 100 years before you start doing that poo poo.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh John, you tease. :allears:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
A fair enough point.

Also, John may well do it.

Edit: And now the show twitter is getting in on it.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 2, 2015

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Astro Nut posted:

A fair enough point.

Also, John may well do it.

Edit: And now the show twitter is getting in on it.

Hahaha yesssssssss

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The horror

Last Week Tonight @LastWeekTonight posted:

On tonight's Last Week Tonight, @iamjohnoliver keeps a promise.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

bobkatt013 posted:

The horror

Whatever, Colbert used to plug those things back no problem

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Boywhiz88 posted:

Whatever, Colbert used to plug those things back no problem

I imagine that he always coated his mouth and throat in a layer of protective wax. Like in that episode of the Simpsons where Homer sees the coyote.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Or bud light lime isn't completely awful and playing it up for laughs is funny

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Afro posted:

Or bud light lime isn't completely awful and playing it up for laughs is funny

Yeah it's not like it's hot garbage, it's just a dull-as-dishwater beer with some synthetic flavoring.

Now Lime-a-ritas, those should have NFPA diamonds on the can.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah it's not like it's hot garbage, it's just a dull-as-dishwater beer with some synthetic flavoring.

Now Lime-a-ritas, those should have NFPA diamonds on the can.

Don't even get me started on those awful Budweiser clamato drinks :barf:

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

It would be better if John drank a Bud Light Chelada tallboy, now that's some vile poo poo.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Afro posted:

Don't even get me started on those awful Budweiser clamato drinks :barf:

What kind of sadist decides to mix clamato and beer?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What kind of monster came up with Clamato in the first place?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Anyone who drinks one of the criminal Bud mixed drinks knew exactly what they were getting into and will receive no pity from me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Oliver keeps his promises!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

John's gonna be on TV in Trinidad to address Jack Walker.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Micheladas are delicious. Budweiser's versions in a can are an abomination.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
That was a weird panning shot of Calgary in the pretrail services parody.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
John really does have too much money if he's buying time on Trinidadian television just because he can.

He's getting drunk on that HBO money.

EDIT: My god, he's like a majestic avatar of Hermes in those shoes.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 8, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

John really does have too much money if he's buying time on Trinidadian television just because he can.

It was probably only like $1,000.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Mr. Fowl posted:

EDIT: My god, he's like a majestic avatar of Hermes in those shoes.

he did an interview with howard stern recently, his budget for the show is pretty ridiculous

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

he did an interview with howard stern recently, his budget for the show is pretty ridiculous

Like how ridiculous. Can hire his own army or just take his crew out for salad and shrimps every day?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

gently caress I love this show. John in those Hermes shoes chugging a Bud Light Lime was fantastic.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Dead Precedents posted:

Like how ridiculous. Can hire his own army or just take his crew out for salad and shrimps every day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqBrptNh61Q

doesn't put an exact number on it, but the running theme is "HBO doesn't care"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
He's been renewed until 2017.

Meanwhile, I'm sure HBO is wondering why they still need Bill Maher, save for VICE being a good show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Meanwhile, I'm sure HBO is wondering why they still need Bill Maher, save for VICE being a good show.

When Jon Stewart announced his retirement a lot of late night hosts were locked down with lavish contracts to keep them at their current shows.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They are completely different formats. They probably share a lot of the same viewers, but nonetheless, as far as talkshows go, they are about as different as you can get.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OhYeah posted:

They are completely different formats. They probably share a lot of the same viewers, but nonetheless, as far as talkshows go, they are about as different as you can get.
Yeah, one of them is a piece of crap.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, one of them is a piece of crap.

I have my own criticism of Maher's show, but what is the prevailing "correct opinion" here?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

OhYeah posted:

I have my own criticism of Maher's show, but what is the prevailing "correct opinion" here?

Maher is really pissing off a lot of people with his anti-vax bullshit and islamaphobia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Out of curiosity I searched Bill Maher on Youtube and found him attacking the hospital that housed American ebola sufferers and getting fuckowned by David Miliband over sharia law. No-one should get fuckowned by David Miliband.

• Locked thread