Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

hobbesmaster posted:

Because the Navy "abandoned" them on Midway and the Marines hired an advertising agency after the war to guilt trip the Navy ever since.

This.....This is accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

paragon1 posted:

Someone remind me why our navy's army get their own navy and airforce.

Because they're designed to be a vertically integrated expeditionary force deployable in small numbers. The entire point of the modern Marine Corps is to have the capability to send a single MEU somewhere and have them be self sufficient.

Now why this is a separate branch and not a specialized army division or two is a better question.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's really funny that the french of all people seem to have made the best jet of this generation, using a programme that's mainly kept around for reasons of national pride

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm confused the french didn't make the super hornet.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

http://defensetech.org/2015/03/06/general-f-35-will-initially-lag-older-aircraft-in-close-air-support/

Has anyone posted the bit where CAS IOC won't be until 2021 at the earliest? When are the warthogs being retired?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hobbesmaster posted:

Because the Navy "abandoned" them on Midway and the Marines hired an advertising agency after the war to guilt trip the Navy ever since.

The Navy should have loving grown a pair and said that if they didn't have the courage to fight a war in tough conditions, they could go back home with the women and make shells.

"You don't see the real men in Bastogne complaining, do you?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

Don't you mean Wake Island and/or Guadalcanal? The Marines absolutely weren't "on their own" in Midway.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

pointsofdata posted:

http://defensetech.org/2015/03/06/general-f-35-will-initially-lag-older-aircraft-in-close-air-support/

Has anyone posted the bit where CAS IOC won't be until 2021 at the earliest? When are the warthogs being retired?

That's not really what that article says.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

pointsofdata posted:

It is undecided, although there had been attempts before that time frame which would have meant the US wouldn't really have had a decent CAS aircraft. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if that 2021 date is pushed back considering everything else about the program.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

That's not really what that article says.

Yes it is

quote:

Carlisle said the F-35A won’t initially be able to perform “advanced” close air support “because those are systems that are going to be coming onto the airplane in later blocks.”

The technologies the aircraft will initially lack include the large area, high-definition synthetic aperture radar known as “BIG SAR,” which is needed to get the best functionality out of the electro-optical targeting system, as well as a pinpoint glide bomb known as the Small Diameter Bomb II, or SDB-II, the general said.

Carlisle said the systems are slated to be integrated into the aircraft as part of a Block 4 software upgrade, the first version of which isn’t scheduled to arrive until 2021. “All of those are things that are going to be coming on in Block 4,” he said.

Until then cas features will be the gun (planned to enter initial service in a couple of years, the software doesn't work at the moment) and ???.

For context the SDB-ii is already approved for the F-15 and will be in service for the super hornet before it is on the f35.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 8, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Don't you mean Wake Island and/or Guadalcanal? The Marines absolutely weren't "on their own" in Midway.

Er yeah I meant Guadalcanal I have no idea why I typed Midway.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

Yes it is

Until then cas features will be the gun (planned to enter initial service in a couple of years, the software doesn't work at the moment) and ???.

...and literally anything else in the arsenal other then the SBD II?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
So until then it won't have the gun (not ideal but frankly kind of meh when looking big picture), and it won't have the advanced SAR or a bomb that the A-10 doesn't have anyway. It will still do what most CAS is: dropping JDAMs and laser guided bombs on the enemy.

Where it does lag is in having a wider variety of ordnance testing complete but the most important and useful bombs and missiles have been fast tracked.

Maybe I'm missing something though.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Dilkington posted:

Compared to what western naval fighter?

F-35B has a larger combat radius than the aircraft it's replacing in the USMC and the Royal Navy.

The C's is bigger than the Super Hornet's (how are those pylons working out for you?), and is comparable to the Rafale in similar configurations.

The A will have about twice the range of the American F-16s it's replacing.

There's a litany of things critique on the F-35, but range ain't one, especially if they actually get cleared for two 480gal tanks on the inner hardpoints.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Dilkington posted:

Compared to what western naval fighter?

Don't mind mimp, he's just butthurt.

There was a posting in the GBS thread on this showing the ranges and versions of F-35. Aside from the VTOL needing to refuel after taking off, without external fuel tanks the f-35 was rather limited.

Hence the joke they need carriers to extend the range out to the edge of their economic zone which is like 200 miles off shore

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Dilkington posted:

F-35B has a larger combat radius than the aircraft it's replacing in the USMC and the Royal Navy.

The C's is bigger than the Super Hornet's (how are those pylons working out for you?), and is comparable to the Rafale in similar configurations.

There's a litany of things critique on the F-35, but range ain't one, especially if they actually get cleared for two 480gal tanks on the inner hardpoints.

He asked a question, and I answered it, and you don't really seem to disagree with my answer? Just that it isn't the worst?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Dilkington posted:

Are we comparing fully loaded F-35s to fully loaded F-16s/Hornets, with tanks on pylons and everything?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

pointsofdata posted:

Yes it is

For context the SDB-ii is already approved for the F-15 and will be in service for the super hornet before it is on the f35.

Dunno if it really matters since they can't slow down the plane for CAS without losing lift, and only have a short 3 second worth of ammunition for that gun. Not to mention the loiter time is really short. whether they retire the Warthog before or after the F-35 is capable, ground troops will still have what they do now when warthogs aren't around; Some guy in a plane that really doesn't care and drops a few bombs well out of the target area. Or, perhaps, Cobras/Apaches when the army realizes the new CAS is hosed

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Internal fuel only.

F-35B continues to be the turd in the punch bowl.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm confused the french didn't make the super hornet.

They did, it's a helicopter.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

Dunno if it really matters since they can't slow down the plane for CAS without losing lift, and only have a short 3 second worth of ammunition for that gun. Not to mention the loiter time is really short. whether they retire the Warthog before or after the F-35 is capable, ground troops will still have what they do now when warthogs aren't around; Some guy in a plane that really doesn't care and drops a few bombs well out of the target area. Or, perhaps, Cobras/Apaches when the army realizes the new CAS is hosed
I'm genuinely curious what you think performing a CAS mission actually consists of.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm genuinely curious what you think performing a CAS mission actually consists of.

He just snipes away with wrong bullshit and every time he gets called out he accuses other people of not having a sense of humor. It'd be a better gimmick in a less technical D&D thread.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Isn't the F-35 incompatible with the uplinks JTACs are using with the SNIPER and other modern pods? That mean would mean that it can't perform CAS as well.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn't the F-35 incompatible with the uplinks JTACs are using with the SNIPER and other modern pods? That mean would mean that it can't perform CAS as well.
The integrated EOTS doesn't have an IR pointer or ROVER, but both of those are more "nice to have" than "can't perform CAS without it." Otherwise, it's compatible. If they really want both of those capabilities, presumably they'll hang a SNIPER pod on the wing like every other aircraft.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought the F-35 couldn't mount sensor pods because of its internal sensor fusion thing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Jarmak posted:

Because they're designed to be a vertically integrated expeditionary force deployable in small numbers. The entire point of the modern Marine Corps is to have the capability to send a single MEU somewhere and have them be self sufficient.

Now why this is a separate branch and not a specialized army division or two is a better question.

When did we last use the Marines in such a fashion?

Genuine question.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Some people have a hard on for strafing attacks I suppose.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought the F-35 couldn't mount sensor pods because of its internal sensor fusion thing.

It's not in itself a source of incompatibility. There are other aircraft with internal sensor fusion and external pods.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

pointsofdata posted:

He asked a question, and I answered it, and you don't really seem to disagree with my answer? Just that it isn't the worst?

I assume you meant to write "you."

I asked "compared to what western naval fighter?" in response to:

SocketWrench posted:

Not the carrier range, they need the carriers to extend the range of the f-35 because the f-35 is so limited

I thought SW was suggesting that the combat radius of the F-35, either the B or the C, was extraordinarily limited.

I figured such a judgement only made sense in comparison to other naval fighters. As it turns out, compared to aircraft most similar to the f-35 (B/C) in terms of era and role, its combat radius isn't extraordinarily limited.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

paragon1 posted:

Genuine question.

Somalia I think?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Somalia I think?

Gulf War I

They were just a diversion though. :laugh:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Various NEOs. Sure, every NEO has some level of joint support but a modern military member can barely change the oil on a truck without calling it a joint operation.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

paragon1 posted:

Genuine question.

Last year, Sudan

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

iyaayas01 posted:

\/ To further the point, they're declaring IOC for political reasons; even USMC Aviation brass (for all their stupidity) aren't dumb enough to deploy Block 2B configured F-35s in an actual combat situation. IOC is being declared because the Marines are the ones furthest up poo poo creek when it comes to aircraft the F-35 is supposed to be replacing...the AF has boatloads of F-16s and the Navy has plenty of new-build SHornets, but all the Marines have are some old decrepit legacy Hornets and the death trap Harriers. So they are keenly interested in ensuring that they can start pushing F-35s out to the operational fleet as soon as possible in order to avoid the embarrassing situation of having a significant portion of their tacair fleet grounded for, I don't know, falling apart in midair. \/

Speak of the devil.
http://airshowstuff.com/v4/2015/blue-angel-5-loses-part-of-wing-at-rockford-airfest/

quote:

This is the second time a piece of a Blue Angel jet has fallen off in as many weeks. A fisherman found a small piece floating in a wetland area after the team’s performance in Rochester New York on May 23rd. He recovered the piece and returned it to the team. No word on whether the missing part from Rockford has been recovered or not, but the team is set to perform again today assuming the weather holds out.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

hobbesmaster posted:

Well actually Guadalcanal

Midway would be where the US Navy kicked rear end and took names, while USMC Aviation didn't do much of anything except die in their old decrepit obsolete aircraft. I suppose Richard Fleming almost accomplished something by kamikazeeing his plane into the ocean near the Mikuma. Which incidentally is basically the same thing Lofton Henderson (of Henderson Field fame) accomplished the day prior somewhere near the Hiryu. That's more or less the sum total of the USMC Aviation's contribution to the battle.

USMC Aviation: Really good at crashing into the ocean in the general vicinity of a bad guy

pointsofdata posted:

pointsofdata posted:

Yes it is

At the risk of being accused of parroting USAF leadership, CAS isn't a platform, it's a mission. Just because the F-35 won't have SDB II capability right away doesn't mean it's not capable of performing some version of CAS with GBU-12s or JDAMs (when it gets JDAM capability, which won't be in Block 2B but will be before SDB II is integrated). Of course that's still insanely limited when compared to, I don't know, basically any other plane in the inventory, but it's not like you need a 30mm cannon to meet the criteria for carrying out CAS.

This isn't to say that the plan to retire the Hawgs isn't dumb, because it is. I'm just saying that the idea that it only has a gun for CAS until the SDB II fields with it is loving dumb and that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Also the SDB II isn't "approved for use" on anything yet because it just passed Milestone C so it hasn't quite fielded yet (supposed to declare IOC with the F-15E sometime this year). SDB Inc I is approved for use on Mud Hens and some other planes in the inventory but that's a different weapon.

SocketWrench posted:

You, again, have no idea what you're talking about.

Stop reading War is Boring and maybe listen to the people who actually do this for a living

Jarmak posted:

Last year, Sudan

Which also featured USAF Ospreys getting lit the gently caress up (well it was technically South Sudan but same difference)

That just seemed relevant since we were talking USMC Aviation and I think they're inseparable from the Osprey at this point.

e:

Dilkington posted:

The SHornet's canted pylons are another Naval Aviation joke that will never get old.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 9, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Also, it seems the CAS argument always revolves around this idea of low and slow gun runs, which is based on the fact that our planes have literally no opposition from real SHORAD or AA threats. We pulled that off in ODS, we're sure to do it again!

Except, you know, losing a solid handful of A-10s and F-16s to Strela-10s.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 9, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
:911: acceptable losses :911:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mazz posted:

Also, it seems the CAS argument always revolves around this idea of low and slow gun runs, which is based on the fact that our planes have literally no opposition from real SHORAD or AA threats. We pulled that off in ODS, we're sure to do it again!

Except, you know, losing a solid handful of A-10s and F-16s to Strela-10s.

And a bunch of British Tornadoes, enough of them that we switched from low-level to high-level attacks because of it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Gun runs are not really a thing for CAS anymore, we have precision guided munitions for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

-Troika- posted:

Gun runs are not really a thing for CAS anymore, we have precision guided munitions for a reason.
Didn't they say the same thing about air-to-air combat and missiles?

• Locked thread