Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Rick posted:

Denver is trying to spin Lawson or (and) Faried into a pick(s). I think the Thunder might be the team that would benefit from at least Lawson more than a rookie.

OKC can't trade its pick. If there was some sort of handshake deal for OKC to take a player for another team, they could maybe do that. I think Denver probably wants significantly more than 14 for Lawson, too. Presti's also hinted that he's thinking about trading out of the first completely for a future pick. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he did that given their roster situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Terry Glenn posted:

OKC can't trade its pick. If there was some sort of handshake deal for OKC to take a player for another team, they could maybe do that. I think Denver probably wants significantly more than 14 for Lawson, too. Presti's also hinted that he's thinking about trading out of the first completely for a future pick. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he did that given their roster situation.

OKC can't trade their pick because they don't have 2016? They can swap or take a player for another team and immediately trade him. They don't need to use their pick, thy just need to have a first round pick.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I fully expect Lawson for #4. Some other players mixed in. Maybe lawson and 7 for 4 and hardaway and aldrich or larkin. No source gently caress you.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Embiid is no Okafor on offense, the exciting thing about Embiid is that every time he played he'd show something new and considering how little he had played basketball his ceiling is crazy. He's nowhere near Okafor though, that guy is as polished as it gets for a freshman. He really belongs on San Antonio with his giant hands, ability to catch everything that comes his way and the patience he has and the way he passes. Watch some videos, he catches the ball with one hand and finishes with it so often it is routine. He's special, you can't go wrong with Okafor. He's a freshman who weighs 270 already. He's going to be a force for a decade.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Declan MacManus posted:

No rookie is coming in and immediately shoring up a defense. At best a guy will be a mediocre defender by the end of his rookie season after getting destroyed by everyone for the first half of the season. I like Towns but he isn't going to come in and immediately fix somebody's defense. There's a steep learning curve and the rules are geared towards offense.

This is not to say he won't rack up some gaudy blocks/steals for the Lakers

Steep learning curve and referee hazing.

Terry Glenn posted:

I think Lawson is worth more than 14, but apparently there aren't a ton of people biting, maybe because the legal issues and maybe because the front office did nothing but leak about how lovely him and Faried's attitude was all year long. But yeah I didn't know that OKC was locked into this one, Denver doesn't have anything to swap down.

For what it's worth there's some chatter that the Lakers are trying to trade into the middle of the draft (in addition to picking at #2) but that doesn't really satisfy what OKC wants.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 8, 2015

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rick posted:

Steep learning curve and referee hazing.

Also true. Referees are not cutting you any slack; no Hibbert verticality shenanigans for a raw rookie with his arms flailing like an inflatable tube man at a car dealership

kiimo posted:

Embiid is no Okafor on offense, the exciting thing about Embiid is that every time he played he'd show something new and considering how little he had played basketball his ceiling is crazy. He's nowhere near Okafor though, that guy is as polished as it gets for a freshman. He really belongs on San Antonio with his giant hands, ability to catch everything that comes his way and the patience he has and the way he passes. Watch some videos, he catches the ball with one hand and finishes with it so often it is routine. He's special, you can't go wrong with Okafor. He's a freshman who weighs 270 already. He's going to be a force for a decade.

Okafor isn't a sexy pick so everyone in the thread is bagging on him. It is the way of things

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

kiimo posted:

Okafor's offense reminds me of Duncan, especially the way he uses the glass. It would be amazing if he ended up on the Spurs somehow.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
We as a society have gotten to the point where a legit centre with supreme offensive skills is not a sexy pick. Where did we go wrong?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

Okafor isn't a sexy pick so everyone in the thread is bagging on him. It is the way of things

I have nothing against Okafor but I am a Basketball Chaosist

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

I have nothing against Okafor but I am a Basketball Chaosist

You were the only person on board with me with the Cavs drafting Jordair Jett first two years ago . . . .

remember
Nov 23, 2006

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

We as a society have gotten to the point where a legit centre with supreme offensive skills is not a sexy pick. Where did we go wrong?

The 3 point line and zone defense rules.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

You were the only person on board with me with the Cavs drafting Jordair Jett first two years ago . . . .

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

wangvicous posted:

The 3 point line and zone defense rules.

And really they're down on his defense, not on his post skills. He seems to do a pretty decent job of playing defense without jumping, but it's just hard to have a decent defense without an adequate defensive center. At least, it's hard to build a decent defense around one and not compromise the offense. It's a wicked game to play, to treat Jahil Okafor this way.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
what do you guys think the ceiling of okafor's defense is?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

what do you guys think the ceiling of okafor's defense is?

Probably Al Jefferson in 2013-14, rather than hobbled Al in 14-15. A big who drops back and uses his footwork to get in the way of drivers, and plants his gargantuan body between bigs posting up and the rim.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Nah he can be better defensively than that. He's bigger and quicker than Al. He'll never be a great shotblocker or someone who can stay in front of really good faceup bigs, but he's generally passable when he gives a poo poo, and he can deter some stuff just by virtue of being big. A lot of his issues on that end seem effort related.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I don't want offensive skills, I just want someone who gets away with offensive fouls all the time and dunks every time.

I want Shaq back.

What I saw of Okafor reminded me offensively a little bit of Dwight Howard, but I may be an idiot. He'd be a pretty good pick for the Lakers, way better than Russell.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

What I saw of Okafor reminded me offensively a little bit of Dwight Howard, but I may be an idiot.

how in the heck

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

What I saw of Okafor reminded me offensively a little bit of Dwight Howard, but I may be an idiot. He'd be a pretty good pick for the Lakers, way better than Russell.

can you please explain because i don't see that at all

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dwight Howard has always been well known for having textbook footwork and a soft touch on his jump hook with either hand.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
i did not know his great footwork

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Nah he can be better defensively than that. He's bigger and quicker than Al. He'll never be a great shotblocker or someone who can stay in front of really good faceup bigs, but he's generally passable when he gives a poo poo, and he can deter some stuff just by virtue of being big. A lot of his issues on that end seem effort related.

I've been racking my brain a bit to think of centers with a similar physical profile to Okafor.

There's Jefferson, who as you said is slower and a bit smaller, and the other guy who strikes me as very similar size wise and quickness/athleticism wise is Festus Ezeli. He's been able to be a pretty solid defensive player albeit in short minutes. If Okafor tried on defense, maybe he could be like post acl Ezeli.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The comment about it taking a while to be good on defense has me thinking that in two or three years Towns and Wiggins are going to make the Wolves one of the the best defensive teams in the country.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

We allowed zone defenses in the NBA

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Non-center chat.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Metapod posted:

can you please explain because i don't see that at all

I remember Okafor being able to be able to post up okay and finding ways of slipping past whoever guarded him down in the paint and that made me think of Dwight (though really, it should make me think of any post player ever), but I also remember Dikembe making jump shots, so again, :shrug:.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dejan Bimble posted:

I've been racking my brain a bit to think of centers with a similar physical profile to Okafor.

There's Jefferson, who as you said is slower and a bit smaller, and the other guy who strikes me as very similar size wise and quickness/athleticism wise is Festus Ezeli. He's been able to be a pretty solid defensive player albeit in short minutes. If Okafor tried on defense, maybe he could be like post acl Ezeli.

Bynum, maybe?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

i did not know his great footwork

That was sarcastic, Dwight is about as far from Okafor as you can get in terms of post play.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Kibner posted:

Bynum, maybe?

Bynum learned all his post moves in the NBA and in like a couple of years, he was extremely talented for a guy that didn't give a poo poo about basketball.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking at clips of both Howard and Okafor now, yeah, I don't know what I was seeing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

cisneros posted:

Bynum learned all his post moves in the NBA and in like a couple of years, he was extremely talented for a guy that didn't give a poo poo about basketball.

I was talking more about body type and athleticism with regards to playing defense.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He's more like Cousins kind of. Really he's unique. I just watched some Karl Malone clips to see if that was a good comparison. Nope, however I forgot what a loving beast Malone was.

Yung Jacques
Oct 31, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

19-year-old Al Jefferson was only an inch (both height and standing reach) and 10 pounds smaller than Okafor.

If a young Al Jefferson clone with a different name was playing in college and going up against fat Polish 7-footers people would probably say he's more athletic and has more defensive potential than Al Jefferson too. Remember, Al Jefferson used to, uh, "defend" power forwards.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Probably just more smokescreening but still fun. Apparently it's Towns and not even close" for the Wolves.

https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/608099788429651969

(scroll up to read the whole conversation)

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 9, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Its going to be Towns Okafor Russell and we will all be bored for 15 minutes. Then the draft will be nuts.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

Its going to be Towns Okafor Russell and we will all be bored for 15 minutes. Then the draft will be nuts.

I hope so because this is the order that makes the most sense talent, need and fit. I won't find it boring because Wiggins and Towns together is crazy exciting to me, Okafor and Randle is crazy exciting (and the Lakers having two really talented bigs is a total game-changing tectonic shift from what's been happening, sorry Tarik Black) and Russell teamed with Embiid and Noel is going to be amazing. I will be all over Summer League.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Robert Sacre was the Lakers starting center last year, no need to apologize to Black even if you like his game there's still a gaping hole at the other big spot.

What I'm curious as to if the Lakers spend money to bring back Ed Davis when he probably only starts half the year?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

euphronius posted:

Please stop insinuating the Knicks are going to take Porzingis even though it's getting less reasonable to be scared of Euro Busts

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

MourningView posted:

That was sarcastic, Dwight is about as far from Okafor as you can get in terms of post play.

We did just have someone come in to an NBA thread saying Khris Middleton is a better power forward than Aldridge. Be careful with that sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kiimo posted:

I hope so because this is the order that makes the most sense talent, need and fit. I won't find it boring because Wiggins and Towns together is crazy exciting to me, Okafor and Randle is crazy exciting (and the Lakers having two really talented bigs is a total game-changing tectonic shift from what's been happening, sorry Tarik Black) and Russell teamed with Embiid and Noel is going to be amazing. I will be all over Summer League.

I think I read Noel is doing another year of Summer League as well.

• Locked thread