Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just have all of the impacts make their own littler particle clouds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

munce
Oct 23, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

I'm enjoying these screenshots but it seems like this game will end two minutes in when the entire earth is destroyed.

Maybe not two minutes, but the working idea is that each game will not last very long. Skirmishes with nukes or other ordinary weapons can happen in a back and forth way without without causing too much damage, but when the real superweapons come into play it will get out of hand pretty quickly (This will take time for research or building, so you cant start by dropping an asteroid on your opponent for example). And even as overpowered as the superweapons are, none of them on their own is enough to wipe out the other player in one shot.

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this
The clear solution is to have the players move to successively larger planets each time the current planet gets decimated until meteors are doing nothing and players need to hurl planets into other planets in order to win.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Katamari Damacy in reverse.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Decided to go back to this thing and crack open more formats:

You can read all about it in my upcoming book: "What The gently caress Am I Doing With My Free Time".

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

munce posted:

Maybe not two minutes, but the working idea is that each game will not last very long. Skirmishes with nukes or other ordinary weapons can happen in a back and forth way without without causing too much damage, but when the real superweapons come into play it will get out of hand pretty quickly (This will take time for research or building, so you cant start by dropping an asteroid on your opponent for example). And even as overpowered as the superweapons are, none of them on their own is enough to wipe out the other player in one shot.

unless of course you add the genesis device to the game,

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Does the world really need another IRC client? In my case, yes.

http://chunjee.github.io/LoneIRC/

Why?
My friends and I were playing a game long ago and we used Ventrillo to communicate. We somehow found ourselves in the text chat portion of the application and had a lot of fun messing with Microsoft Anna's text to speech (TTS). Eventually we stopped using the voice aspect of Vent altogether and it was really annoying to continually pay for the serverspace, some couldn't connect from work, couldn't easily connect from phones, etc.

I started looking around for a TTS plugin for an IRC client, but wasn't very successful and getting everyone to download and configure mIRC is a huge hassle. Finally forked an IRC bot and turned it into our own client that has been working great.
In that game that we eventually all quit; there was a mod that played different sound effects or music based off /commands, I recently started incorporating that idea as well.

Haven't messed with Slack yet but I want to take a look at connecting. Also noticing its a little rough when connecting to freenode. Got some things to work on.

I'd be super happy if anyone else found this at all useful. Download compiled

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
Slack has pretty good API documentation (as far as I've seen) and they put out https://github.com/slackhq/node-slack-client that has an example bot to get you started if you like to develop in node/js. Looks like they also have a python version on their GitHub if you prefer.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Finally trying to get back into unity stuff. I made everything pink/purple because I was tried of grey.

Not much to show at this point, but I was amused.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

clockwork automaton posted:

Finally trying to get back into unity stuff. I made everything pink/purple because I was tried of grey.

Reminded me of this video for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOfll06X16c

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 8, 2015

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012
I've been working on a cloth simulator with some friends.

The physics are computed using the stretch and strain of each triangle, instead of spring/mass forces.
For now it only uses symplectic euler integration, but I'm working on getting it to use implicit instead.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

NorthByNorthwest posted:

I've been working on a cloth simulator with some friends.

The physics are computed using the stretch and strain of each triangle, instead of spring/mass forces.
For now it only uses symplectic euler integration, but I'm working on getting it to use implicit instead.

Super cool! Reminds me of the days I spent playing in 3D studio max's cloth simulator!

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice
I'm building a little thing that lets you "draw" using HTML and CSS. You click and drag to create rectangular divs in draw mode, then play with their border-radius and background properties in select mode to make them look like stuff:

I just made an evil catface using it!

The interface is quite spartan at the moment but I'm trying to nail down the functionality I want first. Ultimately I want to use it to build complex animated stuff, but that's a good ways off yet.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

I've made a little bit of progress

keepin' it obnoxiously colored

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

dadrips posted:

I'm building a little thing that lets you "draw" using HTML and CSS. You click and drag to create rectangular divs in draw mode, then play with their border-radius and background properties in select mode to make them look like stuff:

The interface is quite spartan at the moment but I'm trying to nail down the functionality I want first. Ultimately I want to use it to build complex animated stuff, but that's a good ways off yet.

This is pretty neat have you seen http://make8bitart.com/

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

This is pretty neat have you seen http://make8bitart.com/
I have, it's cool! It was another thing that Jenn Schiffer made which part-inspired me to write my thing, namely recreating famous artwork in HTML/CSS.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

What's this going to be? Looks like modern-ish era units, but the "Space Empire" stuff at the top makes me think it might be an EOFS-like?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

bgreman posted:

What's this going to be? Looks like modern-ish era units, but the "Space Empire" stuff at the top makes me think it might be an EOFS-like?

Space Empire!

http://spaceempire.baloogancampaign.com/

My stupid moon:

EOFS + Aurora = timesink.

Using this project to teach myself a bunch of web technologies:
- jQuery
- AngularJS
- LeafletJS
- SignalR
- ASP.NET MVC 5
- Entity Framework
- Leaflet.Hexagon

Using signalr and angular I aim to make a 'Single Page Application' that updates when other players do things in game.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
My rambling, terribly formatted design doc: http://spaceempire.baloogancampaign.com/Readme.html

soundsection
May 10, 2010
I've been making this over the last two or three weeks. Its an audio/visual noise synth thing. Maybe turn your speakers down if you don't enjoy Merzbow.

http://laptophell.tumblr.com/

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Potential goon project spotted.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Interceptors doing their thing against incoming missiles.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

dadrips posted:

I like the cat face. Years ago, I wrote an application that turned images into HTML tables. It was cool, but the pages it produced were hilariously large, and absolutely smashed most browsers if the source image was big.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Gravy Jones posted:

Potential goon project spotted.

Someone should make a game where you yank the tablecloth off without knocking over the stuff on the table. As the levels get harder the stuff on the table gets more expensive and more prone to tipping over.

schme
May 28, 2013
I'd really like to properly learn graphics programming so I had my first run on ray tracing. It was supposed to be bigger, but I got distracted on a video game binge.

Progressive pictures

The last render:

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
Very cool. How do you go on about making something like that? (I know next to nothing about programming, both for graphics or otherwise.)

schme
May 28, 2013

noggut posted:

Very cool. How do you go on about making something like that? (I know next to nothing about programming, both for graphics or otherwise.)

I started by reading some lecture notes on ray tracing (a lot available via google), reading a few books and reading the code I could find. Ray tracing is inherently quite heavy on mathematics, but the coding side is quite straightforward. An easy way to start would be to write a program that spits out an image (I use ppm files due to the simplicity), add a sphere, some lighting and go from there. The best source at start for me was this old siggraph paper. I have the code on github but it isn't really the straightforward way (it has a lot of Windows API stuff, I draw the image first as an openGL texture etc). The actual ray tracing stuff is probably 1k lines at most.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

munce posted:

Interceptors doing their thing against incoming missiles.

This is cool. Nicely done.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

schme posted:

I'd really like to properly learn graphics programming so I had my first run on ray tracing. It was supposed to be bigger, but I got distracted on a video game binge.

Progressive pictures

The last render:

I'm always impressed when someone in this thread just decides to make a ray tracer. Seems like something that would be almost impossible to make all by yourself, but seeing these more and more makes me want to try it too. Fun fact: Back when 3D computer graphics began, they had functions a primitive to render actual spheres, and not made out of smaller polygons such as triangles.

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 15, 2015

Tavistock
Oct 30, 2010

I made a three.js application for playing conway's game of life on a geodesic ball

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I'm always impressed when someone in this thread just decides to make a ray tracer. Seems like something that would be almost impossible to make all by yourself, but seeing these more and more makes me want to try it too. Fun fact: Back when 3D computer graphics began, they had functions a primitive to render actual spheres, and not made out of smaller polygons such as triangles.

It's actually really simple and easy to start with strangely.

The core of it is just a loop through every pixel of what will be your final image, sending out a ray for each pixel, and seeing how those rays interact with the scene. From there it's just adding on parts of it to make the final image nicer.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

This is cool. Nicely done.

Thanks. I made the missiles fly a lot higher than they were before, so the ballistic curves are really exaggerated. I think that improves the feel a lot.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

piratepilates posted:

The core of it is just a loop through every pixel of what will be your final image, sending out a ray for each pixel, and seeing how those rays interact with the scene. From there it's just adding on parts of it to make the final image nicer.

Ray-Tracer on the back of a business card
code:
#include <stdlib.h>   // card > aek.ppm
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <math.h>
    typedef int i;typedef float f;struct v{
    f x,y,z;v operator+(v r){return v(x+r.x
    ,y+r.y,z+r.z);}v operator*(f r){return
    v(x*r,y*r,z*r);}f operator%(v r){return
    x*r.x+y*r.y+z*r.z;}v(){}v operator^(v r
    ){return v(y*r.z-z*r.y,z*r.x-x*r.z,x*r.
    y-y*r.x);}v(f a,f b,f c){x=a;y=b;z=c;}v
    operator!(){return*this*(1/sqrt(*this%*
    this));}};i G[]={247570,280596,280600,
    249748,18578,18577,231184,16,16};f R(){
    return(f)rand()/RAND_MAX;}i T(v o,v d,f
    &t,v&n){t=1e9;i m=0;f p=-o.z/d.z;if(.01
    <p)t=p,n=v(0,0,1),m=1;for(i k=19;k--;)
    for(i j=9;j--;)if(G[j]&1<<k){v p=o+v(-k
    ,0,-j-4);f b=p%d,c=p%p-1,q=b*b-c;if(q>0
    ){f s=-b-sqrt(q);if(s<t&&s>.01)t=s,n=!(
    p+d*t),m=2;}}return m;}v S(v o,v d){f t
    ;v n;i m=T(o,d,t,n);if(!m)return v(.7,
    .6,1)*pow(1-d.z,4);v h=o+d*t,l=!(v(9+R(
    ),9+R(),16)+h*-1),r=d+n*(n%d*-2);f b=l%
    n;if(b<0||T(h,l,t,n))b=0;f p=pow(l%r*(b
    >0),99);if(m&1){h=h*.2;return((i)(ceil(
    h.x)+ceil(h.y))&1?v(3,1,1):v(3,3,3))*(b
    *.2+.1);}return v(p,p,p)+S(h,r)*.5;}i
    main(){printf("P6 512 512 255 ");v g=!v
    (-6,-16,0),a=!(v(0,0,1)^g)*.002,b=!(g^a
    )*.002,c=(a+b)*-256+g;for(i y=512;y--;)
    for(i x=512;x--;){v p(13,13,13);for(i r
    =64;r--;){v t=a*(R()-.5)*99+b*(R()-.5)*
    99;p=S(v(17,16,8)+t,!(t*-1+(a*(R()+x)+b
    *(y+R())+c)*16))*3.5+p;}printf("%c%c%c"
    ,(i)p.x,(i)p.y,(i)p.z);}}

Hubis fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 16, 2015

schme
May 28, 2013

piratepilates posted:

That's pretty much it. I find it also teaches the fundamentals of graphics programming a lot better than going straight for the real-time OpenGL/D3D stuff. Most of it applies to both, but the learning material is usually better so you end up with a better understanding of the physics behind it, what's going on and why are things done a certain way.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

schme posted:

That's pretty much it. I find it also teaches the fundamentals of graphics programming a lot better than going straight for the real-time OpenGL/D3D stuff. Most of it applies to both, but the learning material is usually better so you end up with a better understanding of the physics behind it, what's going on and why are things done a certain way.

I think the hard parts are the matrix maths to translate the rays to the origin - I think of you are told about those then the rest follows naturally - but if you never did any formal cs to come to the conclusion you need to do matrix transforms, then work out how to do them, all off your own back is pretty impressive.

Edit: I hope I got the terminology right - its literally been 18 years since I took that paper....

klen dool fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 19, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Continuing with my theme of reverse engineering lots of random game formats...

http://magcius.github.io/zelview.js/zelview.html

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hey this is rad!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Suspicious Dish posted:

This owns. I've hosed around with some image & sound formats from old games, but never anything 3D. You got any hints as to process aside from setting breakpoints and disassembling rendering code? Like, patterns that may point in some direction & what not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

Oh wow this is really cool.

I've been just trying to get a basic UI on what might be the worst most boring game ever.