Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Invalid Validation posted:

Don't get me wrong, Link between worlds is great, but it's really short too. Kinda wish they would have included the original too.

Short? I don't have my 3DS with me to check, but I'm pretty sure I put in over 20 hours on it. The only game I played more on my 3DS is Majora's Mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I guess you could call it short if you just go straight to each dungeon and make no attempt to explore anything.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I beat the game 100% in 17 hours. Your mileage may very as to whether that's too short.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
While I do think it's one of the shorter Zelda titles, at least part of its because they carved out all the bull that plagues Zelda plots these days. None of this "goat-herding" or "bird-ceremony" stuff, you are immediately given both a sword and target. Also game length is relative, because I made the mistake of looking at my play records and I have something like 600 hours across my top five games. Pokemon Black, Pokemon Black 2, Xenoblade, Rune Factory 4, Ocarina of Time, for the record.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

YggiDee posted:

While I do think it's one of the shorter Zelda titles, at least part of its because they carved out all the bull that plagues Zelda plots these days. None of this "goat-herding" or "bird-ceremony" stuff, you are immediately given both a sword and target. Also game length is relative, because I made the mistake of looking at my play records and I have something like 600 hours across my top five games. Pokemon Black, Pokemon Black 2, Xenoblade, Rune Factory 4, Ocarina of Time, for the record.

My friend discovered that Pokemon tends to keep running the tally when you put it in standby/sleep mode/whatever. That or he's played an ungodly amount and that's a lie he tells himself to retain his sanity. I have a few hundred sunk into ACNL and then I think nothing else goes past 20 hours at the moment.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Brightman posted:

My friend discovered that Pokemon tends to keep running the tally when you put it in standby/sleep mode/whatever. That or he's played an ungodly amount and that's a lie he tells himself to retain his sanity. I have a few hundred sunk into ACNL and then I think nothing else goes past 20 hours at the moment.

It definitely counts that - I had 24 hours into the game the second day i owned it because of that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

YggiDee posted:

While I do think it's one of the shorter Zelda titles, at least part of its because they carved out all the bull that plagues Zelda plots these days. None of this "goat-herding" or "bird-ceremony" stuff, you are immediately given both a sword and target.

Basically this; the game can be really short (but enjoyable) if you just do what's absolutely necessary but if you're going for 100% you're looking at a 15+ hour title.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Link Between Worlds felt short simply because I wanted much, much more of it.
Really, the game was a decent length, but it was so good that the time just flew by.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
The new Dr. Mario is gonna be really sick

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I would have enjoyed ALBW more if you could play in hero mode in the start, but as it was the game was so boring to actually play that by the time I finished it I had no desire to play it over again.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Zeron posted:

I would have enjoyed ALBW more if you could play in hero mode in the start, but as it was the game was so boring to actually play that by the time I finished it I had no desire to play it over again.

That's why you buy it pre-owned

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

When your other 3DS games are Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, and Fantasy Life, any game that has an ending will seem "short".

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Zeron posted:

Look at how broken this guy is.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

African AIDS cum posted:

The new Dr. Mario is gonna be really sick

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fremry posted:

Look at how broken this guy is.

A link between worlds was far too easy. I would have also enjoyed it a lot more if hero mode was available from the start.

It's still a great game though.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I'm gonna destroy people online at Dr. Mario. I can rotate both directions and clear horizontally with ease

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Olli Olli is pretty goddamn fun, guys. :3:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It's great but I can't imagine going back to the original after playing the sequel... being able to Manual changes everything so much. Definitely check it out if you ever get a chance to

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I bought a New 3ds because I developed a weird hankering for some jrpg type games after playing Stick of Truth. Can anyone recommend some games for someone who hasn't played a jrpg since..uh...Final Fantasy 9?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

shin megami tensei 4 is the best

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
^^^ Fake edit: gently caress, I didn't even think about that since I've had that lying around unplayed forever. I dove into the 3DS like it were Steam and built up an enormous backlog.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I bought a New 3ds because I developed a weird hankering for some jrpg type games after playing Stick of Truth. Can anyone recommend some games for someone who hasn't played a jrpg since..uh...Final Fantasy 9?

Bravely Default's going to be the first thing most people mention, I'd imagine. As luck would have it, it's the best FF game since 6.

Likewise if you want something more actiony there's Rune Factory 4, which is Secret of Mana, only the secret is turnips.

If you're feeling an old school dungeon crawler style RPG, Etrian Odyssey 4 and Untold are pretty good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Xenoblade chronicles is really good if you like that type of game.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
One of these I'm gonna finally open my copy of Bravely Default and see what all the talk is about, but I keep thinking "It's the Collectors Edition, keep that poo poo closed for a few years."

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

BisterdDave posted:

One of these I'm gonna finally open my copy of Bravely Default and see what all the talk is about, but I keep thinking "It's the Collectors Edition, keep that poo poo closed for a few years."

:barf:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

BisterdDave posted:

You're not missing anything. It's super dull and there's basically nothing to do outside of grind jobs. If you like jobs, that will carry the game for the first two thirds, but that's where a lot of people burn out.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Atlas Hugged posted:

You're not missing anything. It's super dull and there's basically nothing to do outside of grind jobs. If you like jobs, that will carry the game for the first two thirds, but that's where a lot of people burn out.

I always hear this, and I didn't get too much out of the demo. But still, something keeps telling me to give it a shot. Maybe it's every other goon who says it's a pretty good game up until the last 2/3rds, and I have a long track record of playing games until the last 2/3rds and quitting for no reason.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

A Proper Uppercut posted:

There's also the entire original DS library open to you, so you have access to The World Ends With You, Bowser's Inside Story, Dragon Quest 4 - 6 and 9, various Mystery Dungeon games, Devil Survivor, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Etrian Odyssey, Radiant Historia, and a bunch of other stuff I can't immediately recall.

Also play Ghost Trick. It isn't an RPG but you owe it to yourself, as a human being, to play Ghost Trick.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bravely Default is a really good turn based Japanese RPG that gets repetitive in a later part but that part can be gotten through relatively quickly and is a small portion of the overall game.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

BisterdDave posted:

I have a long track record of playing games until the last 2/3rds and quitting for no reason.

Boy is it the game for you. I did pretty much the same with it and it sure seems like it was the right choice. Good game, especially if you know when to put it down.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BisterdDave posted:

The US Collector's Edition or the PAL Collector's Edition?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did anyone mention Capcom's releasing a Megaman legacy collection for a bunch of platforms including 3DS? MM1 though 6 with extra challenge modes and concept art and whatnot, developed by Digital Eclipse (Other Ocean offshoot). It's $15 on other platforms, no word on 3DS price. If it's stereo 3D and they don't gently caress it up I'll probably bite.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Did anyone mention Capcom's releasing a Megaman legacy collection for a bunch of platforms including 3DS? MM1 though 6 with extra challenge modes and concept art and whatnot, developed by Digital Eclipse (Other Ocean offshoot). It's $15 on other platforms, no word on 3DS price. If it's stereo 3D and they don't gently caress it up I'll probably bite.

Try asking TheRedEye, he's directing it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&pagenumber=1404&perpage=40#post446320377

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, I figured he probably can't talk about anything that's not in the PR so I didn't bother asking. The 3DS version seems to be handled separately from the other versions and it doesn't explicitly mention stereo 3D so I'm not confident.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
don't care until i can rescue megaman from the dang moon

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

don't care until i can rescue megaman from the dang moon

Just a little while longer, Mega Man :negative:.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

YggiDee posted:

There's also the entire original DS library open to you, so you have access to The World Ends With You, Bowser's Inside Story, Dragon Quest 4 - 6 and 9, various Mystery Dungeon games, Devil Survivor, Final Fantasy Tactics A2, Etrian Odyssey, Radiant Historia, and a bunch of other stuff I can't immediately recall.

Also play Ghost Trick. It isn't an RPG but you owe it to yourself, as a human being, to play Ghost Trick.

Yeeeaa that's what I'm talking about. Only holy crap there's so many, don't know where to start.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you're coming from the South Park game you should definitely start with one of the Mario & Luigi RPGs, the South Park game cribbed the action combat stuff from Nintendo's Mario RPG games. Bowser's Inside Story (DS) is a good place to start.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You guys got me excited for LBW. I just finished Phantom Hourglass and started on Twilight Princess. LBW still seems so far away. Twilight > Trains > Skyward > LBW.

Twilight looks like it is gonna be a slog. So does Skyward, kinda.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Every JRPG should be like Paper Mario and have a murder mystery on a train imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Story of Seasons or Rune Factory 4? They seem similar.