Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

pentyne posted:

When Jon Stewart announced his retirement a lot of late night hosts were locked down with lavish contracts to keep them at their current shows.

Most of them got locked in After the Leno/Conan shitshow.

Also he drank too much Bud Lime in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

OhYeah posted:

I have my own criticism of Maher's show, but what is the prevailing "correct opinion" here?

Maher's insufferably smug whether he has a decent point, is being an awful scumbag, or is being downright insane. He can gently caress himself. It's like he's a liberal strawman given life by the Koch brothers so the far right have someone to point at and go "these fuckin' guys, right?"

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...That bit on bail was loving terrifying. Do the shows at least double check that the people being hunted have at least something to give audience sympathy for the bounty hunters, or does nobody actually care what the targets did or didn't do?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Astro Nut posted:

...That bit on bail was loving terrifying. Do the shows at least double check that the people being hunted have at least something to give audience sympathy for the bounty hunters, or does nobody actually care what the targets did or didn't do?

I used to watch Dog a little bit, and it varied episode to episode. Sometimes they try to feign sympathy and leniency, after of course chasing them down, cuffing them, and dragging them into an office. Othertimes, gently caress it, they're scumbag criminals and our heroes need to stop them. Haven't seen much else in the format.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I hated Bill Maher before it was cool. :colbert:

His anti-vax tendencies and islam-hating reddit atheism are just scratching the surface. His anti-science extends with his embrace of all things organic and his anti-GMO posturing. His strange defense of SOPA. His weird contempt with women and young people. How the basis of his career is almost literally "political correctness has gone too far". His HBO show functions as a program intended entirely for inside-the-beltway types where the political establishment can circlejerk. It's like the White House Correspondents Dinner every week.

LWT is now the flagship political and current events comedy program on HBO. So making Maher less relevant is another thing we can thank Oliver for.

Heck, even The Nightly Show, with all its problems, is a way more watchable panel show than Maher.

Anyways, John Oliver managed to make your office's cat lady lovable. :3:

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
The only redeeming feature of Maher's show at this point are the guests, in my opinion. I particularly like when he gets articulate Republicans on there.

On the bail thing...after the big shootout in Waco last month, 170 people were arrested with bail set at $1 million dollars each, and now over 100 are still waiting in jail for bail reduction hearings scheduled out into July. Waco has resisted calls to get additional judges brought in to help with the case load, too. Clearly some of the arrested people have some involvement with organized crime and/or the shoot out itself, but many do not. As a result, dozens of people will end up having spent 1-2 months in jail for the crimes of wearing a leather vest at brunch and not being a millionaire. Meanwhile, the bail bondsmen of the area are getting rich. Pretty disgusting.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Maher was OK when his show Politically Incorrect was on Comedy Central. It was even OK for most of its run on whatever broadcast network it landed on later.

He wasn't quite the leftist pundit that he is now. Back then, he seemed left of center, but not annoyingly so. At the time, I was right of center, and he was very watchable. The show was even thought-provoking at times. At some point, though, he started to move further and further to the left on many issues, and nowadays, if a Republican said the sky was blue, he'd have a 45-minute rebuttal ready by the next week's show.

But even that would be OK if he just weren't so ridiculously stupid about other things. After all, if we can have a Glenn Beck, a Rush Limbaugh, and an Ann Coulter, then we can suffer a Bill Maher or two. But the GMO stuff and the anti-vaccine stuff... it's just too much. He even thought that religious groups must have been behind his crappy "documentary" Religulous not winning an academy award. Because of course that's the only explanation.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
As much as I hate it when legitimate criticism about Islam is shot down with cries of Islamaphobia, Maher does seem to be a massive prick about how he goes about it.

Great show this week. Can't believe he downed the whole bottle.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 8, 2015

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

tarlibone posted:

Maher was OK when his show Politically Incorrect was on Comedy Central. It was even OK for most of its run on whatever broadcast network it landed on later.

He wasn't quite the leftist pundit that he is now. Back then, he seemed left of center, but not annoyingly so. At the time, I was right of center, and he was very watchable. The show was even thought-provoking at times. At some point, though, he started to move further and further to the left on many issues, and nowadays, if a Republican said the sky was blue, he'd have a 45-minute rebuttal ready by the next week's show.

But even that would be OK if he just weren't so ridiculously stupid about other things. After all, if we can have a Glenn Beck, a Rush Limbaugh, and an Ann Coulter, then we can suffer a Bill Maher or two. But the GMO stuff and the anti-vaccine stuff... it's just too much. He even thought that religious groups must have been behind his crappy "documentary" Religulous not winning an academy award. Because of course that's the only explanation.

I think he still perceives himself as this daring independent thinker (look, he might vote for Rand Paul, oooh) even though he's pretty much exactly the same as every other vaguely-liberal vaguely-wealthy dude in his zip code.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Bill Maher's politically incorrect show back on ABC was a really solid and fun panel discussion.

His HBO vehicle has gradually degraded over time - he's definitely been outpaced by liberalism no longer feeling like such a dirty word.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

In bill maher's movie about crazy religious people the only jewish person he interviews is a guy who says the state of Israel should not exist because their religious teachings say god says "when you're ready for a homeland I'll give it to you" and they went and claimed it for themselves which cuts him out of the loop and maybe pisses him off. Maher cuts him off and storms out, throwing his clipped on mic down after one sentence and says I'm done with this. He's such a hilarious baby to be unable to even listen to this guy's opinion when he could have gone the most patient man on television route and said "uh huh okay next we have..."

And that he's crazy about vaccines made me also think he was a truther but actually truthers just harass him by getting tickets to his show and then demanding he explain jet fuel melting steel beams until thrown out. He's dumb about some things and it makes me think he's dumb about everything. I looked real dumb on twitter once and this is his fault somehow.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bill Maher sucks, he's been intolerable since forever unless you're a really specific kind of liberal, and even though I'm really far left, i'm not his kind of liberal, and I'd be happy if the world just moves on past him and his idiocy.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Normally around this time in any given week I'd see videos of the main story around the internet. This week all I'm seeing is Oliver drinking bud light lime.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

sbaldrick posted:

Most of them got locked in After the Leno/Conan shitshow.

Also he drank too much Bud Lime in one go.

Any amount of Bud Lime is too much Bud Lime.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hemophilia posted:

Bill Maher sucks, he's been intolerable since forever unless you're a really specific kind of liberal, and even though I'm really far left, i'm not his kind of liberal, and I'd be happy if the world just moves on past him and his idiocy.
I thought Maher was a libertarian.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Timett posted:

Normally around this time in any given week I'd see videos of the main story around the internet. This week all I'm seeing is Oliver drinking bud light lime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS5mwymTIJU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

it's not that I couldn't find it just seems like it would be frustrating for the main story to be getting over shadowed by the fluff.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Josh Lyman posted:

There's a right wing and a left wing...libertarianism is like the lymphatic system. It can be anywhere on the body politic - usually the part that's getting the most attention.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Timett posted:

it's not that I couldn't find it just seems like it would be frustrating for the main story to be getting over shadowed by the fluff.

Well there are very few sites who could've screamed about how John is right this week and not been massively hypocritical, plus I think this is the first time he's targeted a wide group of the media.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

njsykora posted:

Well there are very few sites who could've screamed about how John is right this week and not been massively hypocritical, plus I think this is the first time he's targeted a wide group of the media.

Best episode of the show. I pray this gains traction.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm still surprised how many "liberal" blogs tried to spin John Oliver's interview with Edward Snowden to people who who haven't seen it, trying to make it seem like it made Snowden look bad or something.

Actually I'm not that surprised.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wow, I never thought that Gunsmith Cats was an accurate depiction of the American legal system. I wonder how long it'll be until there's a high-profile bounty hunter murder. That stuff about Washington and Florida was interesting, but otherwise I doubt anything will change any time soon, considering how the bail system is hardwired into the constitution.

As for Bill Maher, he's just an rear end. Worst thing I can say about John Oliver is that he has a bit of a vendetta against cheap food.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Josh Lyman posted:

He is, in that lolbertarians are terrible idiots no matter which side of center they purport to fall on.

He's like every terrible false stereotype of liberalism, he's on the right side of many issues but he's also literally everything that is wrong with ignorant rear end celebrity liberals and also a living conservative strawman. He's ignorant as gently caress about anything science in that he's an anti-vax, anti-GMO, anti-nuke idiot, the embodiment of the right's "war on religion" boogeyman, and somehow manages to transcend the right's general islamophobia with his own brand of it that is even more irrational and ignorant than theirs. He says he's a liberal and a lolbertairan but he's thought about any of it as deeply as "stuff he's irrationally afraid of because he doesn't understand it," "Religion is dumb," and "WEED" bundled with the generic hollywood politics. He's right on a lot, Bush's wars were terrible, weed should be legal, religion is very very dumb, conservatives deserve to be mocked for their backward stupid opinions, but then there's everything else he says.

Bill Maher is the human embodiment of YOU'RE NOT HELPING.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm still surprised how many "liberal" blogs tried to spin John Oliver's interview with Edward Snowden to people who who haven't seen it, trying to make it seem like it made Snowden look bad or something.

Actually I'm not that surprised.

I guess they miss how he's a good interviewer since he doesn't throw softballs the whole time.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I think he still perceives himself as this daring independent thinker (look, he might vote for Rand Paul, oooh) even though he's pretty much exactly the same as every other vaguely-liberal vaguely-wealthy dude in his zip code.

He's just another dbag who proves that the extreme left and extreme right are basically the same people with different clothing for their lovely views. Bent horseshoe and all that poo poo.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

etalian posted:

I guess they miss how he's a good interviewer since he doesn't throw softballs the whole time.
I'm guessing it was bloggers being willfully disingenuous in their effort to discredit Edward Snowden.

I think I'm not putting too many words in Oliver's mouth by saying he ***might*** have disapproved of Snowden deferring blame to journalists for disclosing some very specific stuff that ***might*** have been better off remaining undisclosed to the public. But that disapproval (if it existed) was nothing compared to the government grabbing power outside the bounds of the law to snoop on people. But guessing that this nuanced position was Oliver's is still speculating too much. Oliver wasn't there to be Snowden's publicist, so he should have held his feet to the fire before pointing out the bigger picture.

But those bloggers were hoping people wouldn't watch the interview for themselves and take at face value the description of the interview as Snowden making a fool of himself.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 9, 2015

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Best episode of the show. I pray this gains traction.

Yeah the last two episodes have been really good. I hope they keep on this formula because for some reason it seems to be different from earlier episodes in the season but it is really working for me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

apatheticman posted:

That was a weird panning shot of Calgary in the pretrail services parody.

For real. I thought I was seeing things, it went by so quick yet was unmistakeable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I hope next week he does a piece on the madness that has overtaken Kansas. Where they kept cutting taxes until they couldn't actually pay for anything and when state employees were told that unessential employees would be going on furlough they changed the classification to say that all state employees are essential. However they still don't have any money so now they're just expected to continue working without pay.

That's not the worst part, Kansas governor Sam Brownback signed a law into effect this week that tells the state supreme court that if they rule against laws he's signed they will lose their budget.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
His Trinidad paid spot aired today

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/watch-john-olivers-message-to-jack-warner-that-aired-on-1710240005

Poor quality but I couldn't find it posted anywhere else yet

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oh, no, that was a personal problem. It's working now.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The best part of the Kansas story is that despite everyone in Kansas admitting they hosed up, Sam Brownback won re-election.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The best part about Kansas is it has become so bad that the Federal government may have to take over the state. Especially if they defund the Justice system.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sbaldrick posted:

The best part about Kansas is it has become so bad that the Federal government may have to take over the state. Especially if they defund the Justice system.

Is that even legal?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Is that even legal?

The stuff Kansas is doing? No.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Is that even legal?

It might be the first state where the Federal government literally has to step in and take over as the Gov. tries to turn the state into an autocratic monstrosity.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

pentyne posted:

It might be the first state where the Federal government literally has to step in and take over as the Gov. tries to turn the state into an autocratic monstrosity.

I only hope the Feds do it 5 minutes after the polls close in Hawaii. Then Obama can go full Reconstruction on their asses without having to worry about the election. Obama's coming home Kansas, and he's got some ideas about what you've done with the place.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.
I had no idea Kansas had gotten that hilariously bad. I hope he does do a segment on it if only because his, "That's not [geographical region]. This is [geographical region]," gag unironically never gets old.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
direct YouTube link. still crappy quality

Melissa McCarthy can't get out of her contract. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

muscles like this? posted:

The stuff Kansas is doing? No.

Both parts, actually: What Kansas is doing *and* the federal government stepping in. I honestly don't know how much authority the Feds have to mess with state governance.

• Locked thread