Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Asuron posted:

Demented racist what? Mind showing some examples of that.

I like the art, story is lovely at this point and should've ended or been canned by now. The worst is actually the pacing, it's so easy to condense these chapters because of how little is going on in each panel.

Dude, there's like a whole great big bunch of casual Japanese racism that goes on in most of Ippo, particularly the early half of it. Morikawa gets a half-excuse since he's an old fart but there's a lot of "MEXICANS HAVE INNATE RHYTHM" and magical blackpeople punch muscles and "dirty asian" stereotypes for the non-glorious-Japanese (even if the Thai characters get a sympathetic portrayal or two).

Nilbop posted:

So chapters 1089, 1090 and 1091 are out.

Speaking as a guy who just started following this manga with the Woli arc, I've never once cheered for the protagonists. The enemy boxers always seem to have more going on internally, they always seem to think about the fights more, and the heroes are often dicks who just win because of their super-hard punches. I mean I'm trying hard to view Sendo as a likeable guy here but Nargo fits the role of the hero much more comfortably, and I say this knowing he'll get ko'd with one ridiculous punch and then never appear again.

I dunno, every fight seems to come down to the Japanese guy having one super-strong punch that he only needs to land to win to the extent that nothing else matters. It's pretty debilitating.
This is pretty much the modern state of Ippo. I'd say Volg's fight was really good but that's...yeah that's about it as far as post-Woli stuff goes.

It's way better early on, with Takamura's title matches, Kamogawa's post-war flashback, and Ippo vs. Sendo/Sawamura/etc.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
When the fights are really important to the story they are incredible, all the world title fights and the Japanese title matches (not the defenses really) are insanely good, it's the other ones that kind of suck

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Asuron posted:

Demented racist what? Mind showing some examples of that.
How about Woli, the monkey man from the banana jungle, wearing a palm leaf skirt, jumping on the ropes like monkey jumps on branches.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Dude, there's like a whole great big bunch of casual Japanese racism that goes on in most of Ippo, particularly the early half of it. Morikawa gets a half-excuse since he's an old fart but there's a lot of "MEXICANS HAVE INNATE RHYTHM" and magical blackpeople punch muscles and "dirty asian" stereotypes for the non-glorious-Japanese (even if the Thai characters get a sympathetic portrayal or two).

That's fair enough. I haven't really read the chapters where the protagonists face off against mexican boxers except Ricardo, Gonzalez and now the current mook Sendou is fighting. I didn't think the Thai portrayal with Miyata at the start was bad, but I guess it got worse as time went on.

Bisse posted:

How about Woli, the monkey man from the banana jungle, wearing a palm leaf skirt, jumping on the ropes like monkey jumps on branches.

Skipped Woli entirely because I heard how dumb it was. Glad I was correct

On that note how exactly has the author managed to score a gig like this where he writes a fairly low key boxing manga for twenty years and it hasn't been canned or ended by now? Is it just super popular in Japan?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Asuron posted:

On that note how exactly has the author managed to score a gig like this where he writes a fairly low key boxing manga for twenty years and it hasn't been canned or ended by now? Is it just super popular in Japan?

pre:
Manga series	Author(s)	Publisher	Demographic	No. of collected volumes	Serialized	Approximate sales
Hajime no Ippo	George Morikawa	Kodansha	Shounen		108				1989–present	94 million
Yes.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Asuron posted:

Skipped Woli entirely because I heard how dumb it was. Glad I was correct
That wasn't even close to being the worst thing about that fight, even.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

God drat it, I thought the stupid welp I've been taking a huge beating this whole match but I got one punch in and now my opponent's incredibly hurt" was reserved for ippo fights.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I like how he still hits as hard as he normally does, even though he's so tired he can barely move. And just twisting your fist is as good as landing a solid body blow. Goddamn, what a loving dumb manga. And I'm the bigger idiot for still reading this crap.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
It's truly amazing that in real life boxing you don't see next-level techniques like giving your opponent's steel-clad abs an Indian burn. Truly this is the spirit of boxing.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Asuron posted:

That's fair enough. I haven't really read the chapters where the protagonists face off against mexican boxers except Ricardo, Gonzalez and now the current mook Sendou is fighting. I didn't think the Thai portrayal with Miyata at the start was bad, but I guess it got worse as time went on.

It's not racism if it acknowledges the innate superiority of a mexican ubermensch to everyone else in the boxing world, that's just telling the truth. :v:

I'm willing to give Morikawa a pass on black people, since being from Japan he's probably not dealt with many non-asians. Wolly, meanwhile, it's so hilariously racist no explanation I could imagine would suffice.

On the other hand, Volg comes out as dignified and smart. And while Hawk was such a villain, he was followed by David Eagle, an almost heroic noble dude. Ricardo is a latino who is all chill and composed, almost too intellectual in his boxing.

Which means that Morikawa can do characters from other nations that are not one-dimensional stereotypes. So what the hell? :psyduck:

Fabricated posted:

It's way better early on, with Takamura's title matches, Kamogawa's post-war flashback, and Ippo vs. Sendo/Sawamura/etc.

Still waiting for Takamura's next world title. What would the next high-flying bird be? Condor? Albatross?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Woli was a ridiculous aberration bc he was trying to do an homage to that fight from ashita no joe, only in true fashion he left the lesson that joe learned from that fight for two fights and like 400 chapters later. Also anj did it wildly better

I'm glad we've been on these two insanely inconsequential fights for months now when we knew they both would win so ippo could learn some banal lesson before watching takamura, yet again, fight a match in a weight class he's already won when he's got like four left to beat

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Remember how the first time Ippo fought a black guy, the joke was that they were all terrified of him because racism, but he turned out to be a super chill guy who just loved his host family? Somehow the author has become less self-aware since then.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I would read a manga where the only characters are Sendo, Kenpachi Zaraki, Piccolo, Zebra and say, Yotsuba. There wouldn't need to be anyone else.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

KittenofDoom posted:

I would read a manga where the only characters are Sendo, Kenpachi Zaraki, Piccolo, Zebra and say, Yotsuba. There wouldn't need to be anyone else.

Did you ever read the Sendo spin-off?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

KittenofDoom posted:

i wouldnt bc they'd quickly lose appeal as main characters, its better IMO to have the main cast that we do now, but when they are written well, which was the case for several hundred chapters and is utterly bizarre that it was thrown out the window at some poitn

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Sendou's mostly great because he's a really good rival character for Ippo without being a stereotypical sports manga villain (see: Miyata). Which I think also means that he doesn't really work as well when we're supposed to be rooting for him against some random jerk.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
So it's been quite a while. Anyone know what's going on in Ippoland?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

disappointment.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There is likely a reason all translators seem to have abandoned Ippo.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
The latest raws are in a Takamura fight which looks amazing. :sigh:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Oben posted:

The latest raws are in a Takamura fight which looks amazing. :sigh:

is it a real one or is it one where he is mentally retarded for the first round, the second through eighth round are skipped, and he wins it with a lucky punch in the ninth or whatever

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its not like the dialogue in ippo really matters

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Jose posted:

its not like the dialogue in ippo really matters

But how will I know if Takamura is making a dick pun?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Huzzah! posted:

But how will I know if Takamura is making a dick pun?

A: If he is saying something with a very serious face and everyone else looked shocked/aghast/laughing, it's a dick pun.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mangastream has three chapters up settling Sendo's fight. Good stuff Takamura is up next.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Am I getting this right? Ippo lost because he didn't believe in himself enough?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eh, I didn't like that Sendo fight at all. His opponent was well trained and had a great plan and basically did everything right. Sendo won by throwing wild brawling punches (which he wasn't able to utilize prior because....?) and doing some bizarre <one-inch punch.

Having the protagonist or favored character win due to his burning spirit and what have you isn't inherently bad, but it doesn't work at all when you also spend a while explicitly talking about how the opponent has put in a bunch of effort and come up with a perfect plan to address his method of fighting.

This seems to be a big trend in the more recent Ippo fights. Ippo/the favored character will have his weakness revealed by his opponent, and then will win by doubling down and just doing the same thing he was before harder. For fucks sake, all that he would have to do to make this manga good is to have these characters go "oh man, I need to change what I'm doing in order to fight this opponent." That's it! It's bizarre how resistant Morikawa seems to be to the idea of these characters genuinely improving.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I can't remember, has Sendo ever lost to anyone besides Ippo?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I dip into this manga every couple of months to see if it's gotten better and every time I somehow get the underlying message that the winner of a fight won because he was Japanese and the other guy was only Philipino or Malay, which is clearly only Japanese light.

Maybe I'm seeing stuff that's not there, but it's a really unpleasant feeling to get everytime I see a fight go down.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Nilbop posted:

I dip into this manga every couple of months to see if it's gotten better and every time I somehow get the underlying message that the winner of a fight won because he was Japanese and the other guy was only Philipino or Malay, which is clearly only Japanese light.

Maybe I'm seeing stuff that's not there, but it's a really unpleasant feeling to get everytime I see a fight go down.

The manga has been crap for ages, but reading racism into it is really stupid. They need non japanese challengers because everyone has become too strong for domestic boxers, and they all win because the writing is bad and doesnt let the boxers grow as athletes, not because of the superiority of the japanese race.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well, I don't think that part is racist, but things like Woli being a primitive monkey man and the two black boxers so far being 1. an overbearingly kindhearted, simple man and 2. a lazy, extremely horny shithead are pretty bad

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

Hypocrisy posted:

Am I getting this right? Ippo lost because he didn't believe in himself enough?

they mean he lacks ambition, but yes. he sets goals he can achieve, not goals that drive him to refuse to lose.

just another case of "Ippo is fuckin' Meek"

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

DoubleDonut posted:

Well, I don't think that part is racist, but things like Woli being a primitive monkey man and the two black boxers so far being 1. an overbearingly kindhearted, simple man and 2. a lazy, extremely horny shithead are pretty bad

Really perpetuating the hosed up "black people are nice and cool and everyone wants to be friends with them" stereotype, I agree. And I don't know what other black boxer you're talking about, because the guy Volg fought was a serious athlete with great sportsmanship who wanted a fair fight.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

K. Flaps posted:

Really perpetuating the hosed up "black people are nice and cool and everyone wants to be friends with them" stereotype, I agree. And I don't know what other black boxer you're talking about, because the guy Volg fought was a serious athlete with great sportsmanship who wanted a fair fight.

Bryan Hawk.

Yeah, no problem with the two flavors of black people: horny gangsters or kind idiots!

Edit: Like, Ippo is scared of Ozma when he first sees his picture solely based on the fact that he's black, and is then shocked when Ozma turns out to not be terrifying and violent in person

Also I had forgotten about the guy Volg fought, my bad

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 18, 2015

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

DoubleDonut posted:

Bryan Hawk.

Yeah, no problem with the two flavors of black people: horny gangsters or kind idiots!

Three. Kind idiots, horny gangsters, competent world champion technical boxer

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

DoubleDonut posted:

Bryan Hawk.

Edit: Like, Ippo is scared of Ozma when he first sees his picture solely based on the fact that he's black, and is then shocked when Ozma turns out to not be terrifying and violent in person

Really hosed up of the manga to show that the perception of black people as violent thugs is wrong, yeah. I also don't know why you think Ozma was an idiot! but whatever. He was just very nice.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
So you're just gonna ignore the Indonesian guy being a feral child and Bryan Hawk being Birth of a Nation rolled up into one character, I guess

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Wow, Oskar Schindler learns over the course of the movie that Jews aren't subhuman animals and changes his point of view? Who let Spielberg direct this nazi propaganda?

I can't believe you forced me to defend a hajime no Ippo.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yes, Ozma teaches Ippo that black people aren't all violent thugs. And then the next black guy to show up turns out to be a violent thug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

DoubleDonut posted:

So you're just gonna ignore the Indonesian guy being a feral child and Bryan Hawk being Birth of a Nation rolled up into one character, I guess

Bryan Hawk was an over the top villain. He didn't wander around blasting hip hop from his iPhone calling takamura his nigga.