Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Korean Boomhauer posted:

the only OTA TV here are like 4 PBS channels and tbh its much better than whatever reality tv stuff you get with paid TV. they show old british tv shows on saturday and its fully sick
same. lol if u didnt watch old tom baker episodes of dr who instead of going to prom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i forget what its called but theres a little stb you can stick a cablecard in and plug it into your network and it broadcasts over upnp

ya that's what I have. its cool but all the channels worth watching are encrypted.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if there was a better way to watch hockey I would probably do it but the only ways to watch hockey online involve 480p pirate streams or using proxies/vpns to get around local blackouts on the official nhl streaming thing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

my parents have a news channel running like 24/7 but nothing ever happens so when i get to visit ill start getting real cranky once ive heard about the same non-events 3-4 times.

this is what sports center is for

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

anthonypants posted:

because it detracts from the purity of the HID device class essence

yes, because when I said you shouldn't need to download drivers to make something work, I totally meant that nobody should be able to download a driver ever for that thing if it has some features beyond what the device class supports

if I plug a keyboard with weird keys into my Mac, all the regular keys work. I can install a driver for that keyboard if I want to use the weird keys, but I'm not forced to install the driver just for the keyboard to work at all

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

cthulhoo posted:

i had to gently caress around with some retarded setpoint .ini file because it eats all multimedia keystrokes and only forwards them to the bespoke list of apps blessed by logitech fucktarded engineers and obviously chrome was not there

it's chromes fault for not being around in 2003 when the list was last updated

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

yes, because when I said you shouldn't need to download drivers to make something work, I totally meant that nobody should be able to download a driver ever for that thing if it has some features beyond what the device class supports

if I plug a keyboard with weird keys into my Mac, all the regular keys work. I can install a driver for that keyboard if I want to use the weird keys, but I'm not forced to install the driver just for the keyboard to work at all

there are standard hid usage codes for that kind of thing

and i've never had to download a driver to make any of those keys work for precisely that reason

(ask me about writing programs that interact with arbitrary hid devices under windows)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah all the media keys are standard windows keys so its probably chrome using its own, internal, Linux key binding system that's looking at raw data or some stupid poo poo.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
the media keys on my logitech keyboard works without installing any drivers in windoze (besides what it does during the initial plug-in) :shrug:

i bet the usb floppy drive situation will be similar

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dodoman posted:

the media keys on my logitech keyboard works without installing any drivers in windoze (besides what it does during the initial plug-in) :shrug:

i bet the usb floppy drive situation will be similar

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Shaggar posted:

if there was a better way to watch hockey I would probably do it but the only ways to watch hockey online involve 480p pirate streams or using proxies/vpns to get around local blackouts on the official nhl streaming thing.

I'm watching a full high definition one right now. it has no audio but it's better than nothing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if its an nbc stream then no audio is definitely for the best.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Dodoman posted:

but why does it have to install drivers during the initial plug-in? they should come with the OS and just be loaded when needed without any interaction

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eschaton posted:

but why does it have to install drivers during the initial plug-in? they should come with the OS and just be loaded when needed without any interaction

same reason why windows "installs drivers" for every mass storage device you plug in

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

same reason why windows "installs drivers" for every mass storage device you plug in
because of some lovely Chinese modem from 1998 that has a duplicate USB id?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

if your keyboard has multimedia keys then it's probably some poo poo tier rubber dome junk for poors that belongs in the trash anyways

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

yeah all the media keys are standard windows keys so its probably chrome using its own, internal, Linux key binding system that's looking at raw data or some stupid poo poo.

imagine people making apps with the most standard and popular class of operating system on the planet in mind

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah if they use the normal key bindings everything just works. the Linux poo poo is totally hosed and doesn't work anywhere.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Space-Pope posted:

same. lol if u didnt watch old tom baker episodes of dr who instead of going to prom

my deepest darkest secret is i can say "the bouquet residence the lady of the house speaking" 100% perfectly

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Korean Boomhauer posted:

my deepest darkest secret is i can say "the bouquet residence the lady of the house speaking" 100% perfectly

and mine is that I can hear that in my head

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Shaggar posted:

its worse. if you don't run/install setpoint it all works fine but if you do it just eats the keystrokes for the p important reason of drawing retarded icons on screen.

i only start it because my dumb keyboard randomly forgets the backlight settings otherwise, logitech is terrible

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

windows keyboard poo poo is stupid as hell

even with keyboard switcheroo apps, i can't stop CMD + l from locking the computer instead of moving th cursor to the location field in whatever browser.

it's hardcoded to lock int he OS

and the reason ctrl + alt + del is used to unlock in Win 7?

it's a kernel-level thing that no other app can emulate.

a piece of poo poo, operating system-wise, it is.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Korean Boomhauer posted:

its bucket innit

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

buttcrackmenace posted:

its bucket innit

the one with a Mercedes, swimming pool, sauna and room for a pony

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

windows keyboard poo poo is stupid as hell

even with keyboard switcheroo apps, i can't stop CMD + l from locking the computer instead of moving th cursor to the location field in whatever browser.

it's hardcoded to lock int he OS

and the reason ctrl + alt + del is used to unlock in Win 7?

it's a kernel-level thing that no other app can emulate.

a piece of poo poo, operating system-wise, it is.

if only there were more modifiers around to handle your mouseless fetish

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
the dumbest thing about hid by far is that layout isn't a usb property of the device so you still have to ask users what their layout is

it is the year 2015
the us is fighting a group of militants, who recruit by broadcasting propaganda across the entire globe, using long range wireless flying robots
the government collects data from every call and most of the billions of computers connected to the ARPANET (now called internet)
a group of hackers of unknown nationality broke into a nuclear facility through cyberspace and forced the equipment to break itself
now press these keys so that we can detect what kind of keyboard you use

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

eschaton posted:

not everyone makes peripherals to fit into the neat HID system

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

it doesnt require any interaction, it just happens

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cthulhoo posted:

its worse. if you don't run/install setpoint it all works fine but if you do it just eats the keystrokes for the p important reason of drawing retarded icons on screen.

i only start it because my dumb keyboard randomly forgets the backlight settings otherwise, logitech is terrible

I have setpoint and it doesn't do any of that. I don't have a Logitech keyboard that supports setpoint tho. just a mouse.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

AtomD posted:

the dumbest thing about hid by far is that layout isn't a usb property of the device so you still have to ask users what their layout is

it is the year 2015
the us is fighting a group of militants, who recruit by broadcasting propaganda across the entire globe, using long range wireless flying robots
the government collects data from every call and most of the billions of computers connected to the ARPANET (now called internet)
a group of hackers of unknown nationality broke into a nuclear facility through cyberspace and forced the equipment to break itself
now press these keys so that we can detect what kind of keyboard you use

ive never had it ask for keyboard layout before. it always just works. idk maybe its different if you use a non-English keyboard but even then the computer would have to detect its non English to ask for the layout so something must be there to tell it what the layout is?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

ive never had it ask for keyboard layout before. it always just works. idk maybe its different if you use a non-English keyboard but even then the computer would have to detect its non English to ask for the layout so something must be there to tell it what the layout is?

no, there's nothing at the keyboard level which says what the layout is, which is actually a goddamn pain in the rear end if you're not using the "default" keyboard for your language; it's a common headache on French computers here because everything assumes you're using satan's AZERTY keyboard layout :argh:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. don't use French computers. problem solved.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or just go to language settings and set it back to English

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

lol. don't use French computers. problem solved.

They give tax breaks here if all your business' computer software is in french (or you can prove that some extremely niche program you use has no french equivalent, but if any exists you have to use it even if it's completely poo poo) :negative:

this is actually one situation where microsoft has a good solution, though, since we usually just create dummy users configured for french and if the government does a check we just give them that user to verify with

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol nice racism.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

lol nice racism.

nah, it's more like language-ism, people have to wait until you say something before the slurs start

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

je suis une non-technique femme ou enfant

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

the keyboard thing also applies for english versions of the os but not using the us keyboard layout, like in the uk where it's different and prioritizes the £ and poo poo like that, although i think most dollar countries just use english us (canada, new zealand, i'm assuming australia)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

univbee posted:

english versions of the os but not using the us keyboard layout

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A few subtle differences, although most english-speaking countries other than the uk and ireland use the us layout

• Locked thread