Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wit
Jul 26, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

Where can I read exhaustively about Star Citizen that is not the abortion of a thread here in Games? Or could anyone do a big writeup? It seems like the ultimate grief so it should fit

The big effort post with lots of "voted 5" comments after it. The rest is just bellyaching and minutiae that'll make laughing at it too much of a hobby. That's why the post was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMb0UaqflDQ

Apparently there's a GTA5 hack that lets you literally piggyback on people. Weird.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
That dude's rant at the end of that video is a thing of beauty.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I saw Fockbox in the opening credits and had high hopes. I don't know how developers fail to put some kind of cheat protection in their games even on the current generation of consoles let alone PC (and no, licensing PunkBuster doesn't count).

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 2, 2015

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Shumagorath posted:

I saw Fockbox in the opening credits and had high hopes. I don't know how developers fail to put some kind of cheat protection in their games even on the current generation of consoles let alone PC (and no, licensing PunkBuster doesn't count).
Honestly, it's like they say about car theft - if someone wants to have your car, they're going to have it; the best you can do is make it a less opportune target. The difference is that once someone has done the heavy work of hacking a game, it's generally pretty easy to spread the hack around to people who couldn't hack the game themselves (like 'trainers' back in the 90s). The best you can really do is have good logging, good infrastructure for patching, and - ideally - a way to ban offenders.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Honestly, it's like they say about car theft - if someone wants to have your car, they're going to have it; the best you can do is make it a less opportune target. The difference is that once someone has done the heavy work of hacking a game, it's generally pretty easy to spread the hack around to people who couldn't hack the game themselves (like 'trainers' back in the 90s). The best you can really do is have good logging, good infrastructure for patching, and - ideally - a way to ban offenders.

They do, it's called the Bad Sport system and you get segregated into cheater lobbies and have a dunce cap put on your head for blowing up other player's insured cars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lunethex posted:

They do, it's called the Bad Sport system and you get segregated into cheater lobbies and have a dunce cap put on your head for blowing up other player's insured cars.

I don't think cheater lobbies and bad sport are the same thing. I also don't think you can get bad sport for blowing up cars anymore. It doesn't pop up the "Bad Sport!" alert anymore. Rockstar bans in waves so you'll probably see a bunch of hackers banned when the new patch comes out.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think cheater lobbies and bad sport are the same thing. I also don't think you can get bad sport for blowing up cars anymore. It doesn't pop up the "Bad Sport!" alert anymore.

Wait, seriously?

This would get me to play GTA:O again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lunethex posted:

They did that for Max Payne 3, but it was way too late to save that game's multiplayer. Which is a shame, because that game had amazing multiplayer. Nothing beat using a buff to show up as a member of the enemy team to ambush them.

Taxman84
Feb 11, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBH6wAYTkJU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

so

were those sounds coming from other players or...?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

lol he loving sounds like goku trying to go super saiyan when he's mad

Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish
Aug 3, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

so

were those sounds coming from other players or...?

It's the new ingame voice codec.

Taxman84
Feb 11, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjhchEKI7mA

How they manage to get an autistic kid to make sucking sounds for a minute pretending to eat pussy is beyond me.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

holy poo poo

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVGpNbsp4yk

guy pretending to be l4d2 bot. the whole big time rush series is so good so check out this playlist if you haven't seen them:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvZszrALvkLh2kyY_w5OPBEm6j_LAD5y6

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Those streamers seem really stupid.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dick Burglar posted:

Streamers
Stupid

You repeated yourself

BeatSetRadio
Dec 5, 2004

Hey Sandy! Do you want to listen to some indie music with me? Perhaps we can read Pitchfork together?
Yeah, Daniel is a little thin-skinned.

I was briefly a mod on his Twitch channel. One day he was playing DayZ with some guys who sounded like they might be from the Middle East. A couple guys in the channel were calling them racist names unironically like towelhead, etc. I give this one guy with a name like "420blazerwizard" or some poo poo a 10 minute ban when he kept it up. The very second his ban is up he comes back in raging and complaining about the coward who banned him. I explain that I was the one who banned him and that he was being unfunny and racist. He keeps whining and raging and Daniel takes away my mod privileges. That's 10 minutes 420blazerwizard will never get back! I suppose Daniel was afraid of losing a few people (10% of his viewer base) to my power-tripping (actual complaint).

I guess I just figured racist remarks were a default no-no and it is I who got GRIEFED. I still enjoy his youtube videos but man there are some terrible people in that twitch channel.

BeatSetRadio fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 17, 2015

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

BeatSetRadio posted:

Yeah, Daniel is a little thin-skinned.

I was briefly a mod on his Twitch channel. One day he was playing DayZ with some guys who sounded like they might be from the Middle East. A couple guys in the channel were calling them racist names unironically like towelhead, etc. I give this one guy with a name like "420blazerwizard" or some poo poo a 10 minute ban when he kept it up. The very second his ban is up he comes back in raging and complaining about the coward who banned him. I explain that I was the one who banned him and that he was being unfunny and racist. He keeps whining and raging and Daniel takes away my mod privileges. That's 10 minutes 420blazerwizard will never get back! I suppose Daniel was afraid of losing a few people (10% of his viewer base) to my power-tripping (actual complaint).

I guess I just figured racist remarks were a default no-no and it is I who got GRIEFED. I still enjoy his youtube videos but man there are some terrible people in that twitch channel.

Twitch chat on almost every channel, no matter what the streamer's content is, is terrible. Twitch chat is a grief on mankind.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Azzents posted:

Twitch chat on every channel but VGCW is terrible. Twitch chat is a grief on mankind.

BeatSetRadio
Dec 5, 2004

Hey Sandy! Do you want to listen to some indie music with me? Perhaps we can read Pitchfork together?

Azzents posted:

Twitch chat on almost every channel, no matter what the streamer's content is, is terrible. Twitch chat is a grief on mankind.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I've never enjoyed anything I've seen in a twitch chat

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BeatSetRadio posted:

I still enjoy his youtube videos but man there are some terrible people in that twitch channel.

too bad his recent vids suck rear end

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
I love this guy's deadpan delivery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPRiNVPD9nc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSGktBAO4yU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
The best part about videos like that are the griefees are always musclebound tattooed dorks who only have the power to scream like petulant children into the microphone. It's amazing.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

australians are amazing

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

muscle man in this vid sounds a bit like dr steve brule

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Turk February posted:

The best part about videos like that are the griefees are always musclebound tattooed dorks who only have the power to scream like petulant children into the microphone. It's amazing.

And even the rare few that have the privs to kick the guy from their sim just wait way too long. They scream for minutes instead of just going "welp, out". It's really weird.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Endwerc (an old English word meaning "pain in the rear end" apparently) is great but he doesn't post that often.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Baby rape is kinda hosed up, but that tone is one I well recognize.

Were he able to, that Australian dude would have straight up murdered him. The fact that he was utterly powerless in his own home is great.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

McGiggins posted:

Were he able to, that Australian dude would have straight up murdered him. The fact that he was utterly powerless in his own home is great.

I find it so hard to understand these peoples reactions. Like, if it were real life, and someone went 0-60 mental in under 1 second like that, you'd think there was something wrong with them, but like, its just the internet, its not even real. How can your grasp of reality be that weak that you genuinely believe that getting angry and yelling at the internet is a thing that makes any sense? Let alone is going to bend to your will through sheer vehemence of anger?

It's a bit like watching a Louis Theroux documentary, it's just so fascinating that there are these people out there who's world is SO fundamentally different to mine. I don't know about you guys (which is exactly the point I'm making, incidentally) but I sometimes in a narcissistic way feel like everyone out there is fundamentally similar, and through reasoning you could reach the same conclusions, but, its just not the case is it? That's really what makes these griefing vids so great for me, its not just the Schadenfreude, but also the bizarre wonderment of the 'other', kind of like being at a zoo. Only I guess going around poking the exhibits with a stick.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

McGiggins posted:

The Australian had the chance to digitally murder that guy for digitally raping his digital baby.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Posted in another thread, thought it fit here pretty well:

Bassetking posted:

Yup. Dude wasn't looking to run a game. Dude was looking to get to spend a whole weekend at a gaming convention, and not pay for his ticket.

Dude was an rear end in a top hat.

Anyway!

This next one took place about twelve years ago. Specific Mechanical Details may be fuzzy, and for that, I apologize. It is, however, a WoD LARP story, and one I've been meaning to post to a Cat Piss thread since I joined SA.

I am not the same person I was back then, and, were I then, who I am now, I would have likely handled the situation in a different manner.

So, I was at Ohio State University back in 2003. Now, because, back then, I was a twenty year old college kid, I lived a nearly totally nocturnal day-cycle, due to some bad, bad insomnia.

This has anything at all to do with the story because of Burritos Noches.

Ahh. Burritos Noches. One Swipe of a Meal Card, and you could get a Burrito The Size Of Your Head. It was open from 12AM to 4AM, and was a godsend to those students who were, like me, up very late.

It also attracted the local chapter of The Cam. Or, at least, The Prince, and a whole bunch of his cotire.

Each and every night, this group of Goth-dressed Kine-Sneerers would cluster the area right around the doorway to this delightful land of tasty late-night burritos.

And they would LARP. In the worst, Cammy, Mundane-Freaking, Feed-By-Touching, Greasy Goth manner.

It got so harassing that the University considered shutting down the food venue, due to the complaints of female students about thirty-five-year-old grease-beards lounging around in black, and makeup, and touching them. I get the whole "Touch to Feed" thing, but seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriously. The kind of folks who show up to do this form of LARP are exactly the kind of folks who will take that as an invitation to get all Creepy-Touchy on the college kids they're trying to freak.

Now, to myself, and my friends, all of whom were TTRPG players, the loss of Burritos Noches was unacceptable. Upon hearing that the University was considering canceling the program, we decided to take action. We knew enough about these V:tM players that most of them were former university students, but didn't currently attend, and didn't give a gently caress about what happened to the students there, they'd move their characters to a new location on campus, and keep harassing students.

So long as they had those characters.

Which is where my friends and myself hatched our plan.

We contacted Campus Facilities, and, using available forms, made rental of five sections of mobile, generator-powered stadium-lighting. We positioned these around the little courtyard that these LARPers lurked.

We went out, and bought Super-Soakers.

And we bought a copy of Hunter: The Reckoning, and contacted the Cam to start a sanctioned Hunter Group.

The night all of this went down; when the lighting was in place, one on a pole above the center of the courtyard, the other four positioned on the ground to encompass the entire courtyard. We then used a sharpie to write "Flamethrower" down the side of each Super-Soaker, and "HIGH INTENSITY UV" on paper signs that we taped to each of the lights.

We waited. And waited. And once the whole LARP had shown up to do their freaking and feeding...

We turned on the Generator, and jumped from the hedges with the Super-soakers.

Between the "Sunlight", and the Agg-Damage from the Flamethrowers, we ashed nearly "five thousand years" of V:tM characters in one evening's actions. And as frustrated as the Storyteller was, when we presented our Avenger and Defender Hunter Sheets, he actually adjudicated that we had succeeded, to the angry protestations of his group. "They perfectly played the Role of Hunters. You all got too complacent, didn't check out the area you'd be gathering, didn't spend resources to secure the area, fed in the location too many times, and drew the attention of Hunters. Exactly like it's supposed to happen, when you do that."

So yeah.

I am not proud of super-soaking a bunch of LARPers in order to save a burrito location.

I am willing to admit there's some Cat-Piss on each and every side of this story.

But seeing a dude fifteen years older than you actually break down in tears, because the character he'd been playing for seven years, since he was in Grad School, had been Ashed, and there was nothing he could do about it? And knowing that what we'd done would cause a massive shake-up in the area's Cam; likely bringing in a group of leadership who would be more likely to tell guys like that to quit loving "Freaking The Kine"?

I can feel a little bit good about that.

So yeah. That's the story of how I did a One-Shot Hunter: The Reckoning LARP, ashed thirty people's characters, and saved some tasty burritos.

Mature? Oh, hell no.

Would I do it today? God, no.

It is something I'll still point to as a citation of "In-Game Actions have In-Game Consequences."?
Absolutely.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I didn't want to piss on those guys' parade when I saw that in that other thread, but that's literally a three-issue series of Knights of the Dinner Table.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Network Pesci posted:

I didn't want to piss on those guys' parade when I saw that in that other thread, but that's literally a three-issue series of Knights of the Dinner Table.

i thought that sounded awful familiar

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What's the issue number? I'd like to see the original

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Molybdenum posted:

What's the issue number? I'd like to see the original

Me too. Still a decent story.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
It was 50-52, the "Lords of Darkness". And I think the guy that posted it told it better than Jolly. Still STDH though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
It's a good story because I never really wanted to LARP before but LARPing hunters going after LARP vampires sounds kind of rad.

edit: the Hunter games on xbox and poo poo were pretty OK they should do another one.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I am going to larp you

• Locked thread