Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Every cheap garbage plastic consumer laptop comes with an HDMI port these days.

Corporate grade (i.e. worth buying) usually have a DisplayPort or mini-DisplayPort instead which will work for HDMI with a cheap adaptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
You should be able to find a used t430 below that $500 mark with an SSD. Bought a t430 with 1600x900 256 SSD and 8gb ram for $400 on eBay and a t430s with 1600x900 128 SSD and 8gb ram for under that as well. That is if you're ok with used.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

I looked at the OP. I also noticed it hasn't been updated since March.

The laptop market doesn't change much anymore. Manufactures put out garbage laptops periodically throughout the year, but their good laptops might have a tiny mid year refresh at best.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hadlock posted:

The laptop market doesn't change much anymore. Manufactures put out garbage laptops periodically throughout the year, but their good laptops might have a tiny mid year refresh at best.
Now that intel has released their 5th gen i7s, do you expect that the flagship laptops will be updated anytime soon?

I've been waiting for them, but aside from MSI, no one seems to be updating all their models.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

teagone posted:

Do you give a poo poo about the display? If not, go rock bottom and get either the Hisense or Haier Chromebook for $150. If you don't want to buy those lower-tier brands, pay the $20 premium and get the Asus Chromebook C201. All 3 will browse the web just fine.

The C201 was an excellent choice, thanks.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I poked around the graphics settings on my new Thinkpad Yoga for the first time. Apparently this unit can switch between integrated graphics and "High performance Nvidia processor." Currently it auto-selects the processor (with a number of programs defaulting to integrated graphics), but I can choose a system-wide preference as well. Are there reasons not to just prefer the Nvidia? I'm assuming it's just a battery life thing?

I'm not really sure what it bases the auto-selections on. A Quake sourceport was telling me that V-sync wasn't supported - turns out that Nvidia had auto-selected the integrated graphics for some reason. I changed that program's default to High Performance Nvidia and no long had the V sync problem.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 9, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Minidust posted:

I poked around the graphics settings on my new Thinkpad Yoga for the first time. Apparently this unit can switch between integrated graphics and "High performance Nvidia processor." Currently it auto-selects the processor (with a number of programs defaulting to integrated graphics), but I can choose a system-wide preference as well. Are there reasons not to just prefer the Nvidia? I'm assuming it's just a battery life thing?

You don't want to be using the GPU if you're on battery power and don't actually need the graphics horsepower - like, say, if you're browsing the internet.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Benson Cunningham posted:

I can do micro-hdmi too. Thanks for the suggestions. Above 500, the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro is tempting (only 850 on the discount section of their student site), but I would really like to spend less than that.

As far as the SSD, is there an easy way to tell if it will fit a given laptop?

It's a standard 2.5 inch drive and should fit in most anything.

I recommend buying a laptop with a plain old HDD for $400 and getting the 250 gig 850 EVO aftermarket.

You can probably find a t430 on Ebay for that price, maybe even with 8 gb RAM and a 1600x900 screen too.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

The Iron Rose posted:

It's a standard 2.5 inch drive and should fit in most anything.

I recommend buying a laptop with a plain old HDD for $400 and getting the 250 gig 850 EVO aftermarket.

You can probably find a t430 on Ebay for that price, maybe even with 8 gb RAM and a 1600x900 screen too.

Thank you! I'll take a look.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I am looking to buy a lightweight laptop to use during lunch breaks to browse the internet, apply for jobs etc.

The heavy recommendation in this thread seems to be for the ASUS x205, but at the moment the ACER ES1-311 is on sale for almost the same price (£200.00 for the ACER, £180.00 for the ASUS) and seems to give a lot more value.

Are there any reservations about the ACER Aspire E series? I have heard that they may have issues with their trackpad/touchpad, but is that an issue with most low end laptops?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I don't see how there is 'more value' there. What feature in particular do you value?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

dissss posted:

I don't see how there is 'more value' there. What feature in particular do you value?
Seems pretty clear cut? It has local storage that isn't obscenely small and 4GB of RAM is a significant upgrade over 2. Unless I'm looking at the wrong specs.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
That's exactly my thought. I think the only draw back is battery life but I doubt I'd ever use it for more than 5 hours off of a power outlet.

I wasn't really expecting people to have the same model. I was mainly wondering about Asus vs Acer when it comes to low end machine quality, like the trackpad for example. I'm looking for deal breakers I guess.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm looking to buy a laptop for my niece.
she's 16 still in school and shes going to college. I would like to get her a laptop for which she can make documents. do homework, research stuff and last her for like at best her whole school career. and watch netflix and stuff. Ideally it's light. so she can take it to school. Also watch netflix and stuff.
I've read the op. and i myself am thinking about getting her a lenovo T450.
Do you guys recommend something else? more bang for my buck

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Sefal posted:

I'm looking to buy a laptop for my niece.
she's 16 still in school and shes going to college. I would like to get her a laptop for which she can make documents. do homework, research stuff and last her for like at best her whole school career. and watch netflix and stuff. Ideally it's light. so she can take it to school. Also watch netflix and stuff.
I've read the op. and i myself am thinking about getting her a lenovo T450.
Do you guys recommend something else? more bang for my buck

ASUS ux305 might be right up your alley if she won't be doing anything really taxing.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
I'm looking to buy a barebones machine that will run PowerPoint, play videos, and do web browsing without slowing to a crawl. I'd like to keep things cheap as I really have no need anything beyond the basics, but I also remember the horror days of single-core netbooks that really couldn't pull their weight. Handling memory hungry PPTs and video is important.

Is there a low cost machine that will do the basics and has enough power to do them quickly? The OP said spend $600 or go home, but that's a bit outside my budget right now. I've got a big international move to China coming up and I'm going to be upgrading phones for both my wife and I when we land in our new country. I'll be behind the great firewall so Chromebooks are an absolute no-go, but some of the super cheap Windows 8 laptops look tempting, but they only have 2 gigs of ram. I've got two gigs on my slowass machine at work right now and that gets the job done but just barely.

Oh, and if there's a Chinese brand that will fit the bill all the better. That way I don't have to waste paying duty on shipping something from the US.

Let us English fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 10, 2015

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Is picking a refurb/outlet T440 (not S) up for £510 a good plan?

I basically want to use it as a dev machine (with a couple VMs) and some super light gaming - LoL/DotA 2/TF2 on ultra-low, that sort of thing. I'd like the keyboard and trackpad to both be quite nice, since the vast majority seem awful these days.

- i5-4300U
- 14" 1600x900
- Intel HD Graphics 4400
- 8 GB RAM
- 180 GB SSD

I'd like to have 1080p, but I'm not sure that's feasible at this sort of price.

EDIT: The other option really is just sucking it up and grabbing an SSD for my MSI CX640MX. Would the processor/RAM jumps be worth spending the extra just doing that?

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 10, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What if you drop the SSD? Does that make the price more reasonable for 1080p?

You can upgrade the storage very easily enough later on.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I suppose that's probably not a bad idea, but since people harp on about how much an SSD improves everything I figured that dropping that would have the most impact in terms of how much faster it is than my old laptop.

Then again, at least an SSD is easily replaceable, unlike RAM/Graphics/Processor in a lot of models.

EDIT: Actually, looking at Dell's site I found something I must have glossed over earlier. An Inspiron 14 E5450 for about £520.

i5-5300U
Intel Integrated HD Graphics 5500
8 GB
128 GB SSD
14.0" 1920x1080

I'm gonna keep my eye out for a laptop at this sort of spec with an old-school HDD though, just to keep it cheaper initially since I'd probably need to buy a new SSD at some point. 128 is a little small for my liking.

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 10, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

evilweasel posted:

You don't want to be using the GPU if you're on battery power and don't actually need the graphics horsepower - like, say, if you're browsing the internet.
Ah, makes sense.

Speaking of power - can a modern laptop be safely plugged into just about anything? My previous laptop had a pretty heavy-duty plug with a grounding prong, while my new one has a fairly lightweight cord with a standard 2-prong plug. Could I just plug it in one of those 16 AWG cube tap extension cords, and share outlets with like a lamp and a clock? Or should I be sticking to dedicated extension cords or surge protectors.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
My mom wants a 17" laptop (vision isn't great, wants big screen) with a nice and spaced out keyboard (she wants to use it for writing). She wants it to be Windows. I want it to have an SDD. Any recommendations? Price isn't a big issue.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Hello, I'm looking to buy new laptop, the screen no longer turns on on my old Gateway NV53A, and it can't even play a 1080p youtube video without stuttering when it ran.
It had a 15.6" 1366 x 768 screen, so I'd like to stay around that size as it was comfortable.

I don't think I quite grasp the difference between newer screens such as IPS, FHD, QHD, etc. OR gloss/matte.

I'd like for the new laptop to have 8 gigs of RAM to start, a discrete graphics unit to play semi-recent games on medium at an okay framerate. I'd like an HDMI port so I can connect it to a TV or monitor. I plan to swap out any disc drive for a SSD.

The old laptop had pretty poor battery life, and I'd like for a new one to be better. But I'm not super mobile or constantly traveling. The old one weighed 2.4kg/5.3 lbs- but I'd be willing to use a machine heavier than that. If a much sturdier plastic or -even better- metal body was available I'd be interested.

Occasionally in this thread, people will talk about aiming for a Broadwell or Haswell chip, and I'm not very familiar with those. Should I be using that to more fine-tune my search?

Are there options available in the sub-$1000 range? Is the Y50 in the OP still recommended? How does it compare versus similarly priced Thinkpads or Yoga? Lots of Lenovo love I'm seeing. Sorry for the vomit, I'm finding this all a bit overwhelming.

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 10, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

evilweasel posted:

The C201 was an excellent choice, thanks.

Glad it worked out! :)

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
I haven't gotten a new computer in 4 years and so am unfamiliar with how upgrading from hard drives to SSDs work. I'm looking at potentially getting the t550 for a longterm work/everday computer and was wondering what the point of the 16GB SSD is. If it can't even hold Windows on it then is there any reason to really use it? I'm not super interested in the speed increase since I have not really encountered a problem using a hard drive. I guess more importantly, if I opt to not get it now then can I later switch out for an SSD if I need it later? I would prefer to save the 40$ by not getting the installed 16GB one and buy a replacement later, but would be happy to spend the money if, by not getting it, I preclude myself from upgrading later.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

OrangeOrbit posted:

what the point of the 16GB SSD is. If it can't even hold Windows on it then is there any reason to really use it?
It's a cache drive to speed things up

OrangeOrbit posted:

I'm not super interested in the speed increase since I have not really encountered a problem using a hard drive. I guess more importantly, if I opt to not get it now then can I later switch out for an SSD if I need it later?
You can always replace your traditional 2.5" spinning hard drive in a laptop like a T550 down the road.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

OrangeOrbit posted:

I haven't gotten a new computer in 4 years and so am unfamiliar with how upgrading from hard drives to SSDs work. I'm looking at potentially getting the t550 for a longterm work/everday computer and was wondering what the point of the 16GB SSD is. If it can't even hold Windows on it then is there any reason to really use it?

It ships with special drivers to use the 16GB SSD as a persistent block cache. Basically a homebrew version of the SSHD hybrid drives that were all the rage a few years ago.

If you're not planning to use Windows you could probably fit a Linux install on it, but if you want an M.2 drive you're honestly better of getting off the computer without it and buying one separately; for $80 or $140 you can get a 128 or 256GB one.

You can also just get it without one and replace the HDD entirely with a 2.5" SSD.

My T550 should actually be arrive sometime this week, I can post my experiences with RAM and M.2 upgrades once it arrives if you like.

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

It ships with special drivers to use the 16GB SSD as a persistent block cache. Basically a homebrew version of the SSHD hybrid drives that were all the rage a few years ago.

If you're not planning to use Windows you could probably fit a Linux install on it, but if you want an M.2 drive you're honestly better of getting off the computer without it and buying one separately; for $80 or $140 you can get a 128 or 256GB one.

You can also just get it without one and replace the HDD entirely with a 2.5" SSD.

My T550 should actually be arrive sometime this week, I can post my experiences with RAM and M.2 upgrades once it arrives if you like.

Great, thanks to you and Bob. I think that I will just end up replacing the hard drive completely it at some point because the hybrid seems unnecessary to me now. I am probably going to go ahead and get it today/soon because the price with the corporate code (FLEN*2V) is $625 without the SSD and everything else base from the lenovo site. It has dropped $50 since I checked Sunday and it seems like a great deal that I don't want to miss out on. I would be very interested to hear about your upgrading experience when you get around to doing it though! I imagine that I will be upgrading it down the road too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not sure if this is still true, but the 16GB SSD is a workaround for the Intel Ultrabook requirement of having an SSD. 16GB SSD these days is about $10 for manufacturers in bulk.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hadlock posted:

I'm not sure if this is still true, but the 16GB SSD is a workaround for the Intel Ultrabook requirement of having an SSD. 16GB SSD these days is about $10 for manufacturers in bulk.

It's still about this. There's a big ugly warning on their site that the computer "Is no longer considered an ultrabook" if you remove the 16GB SSD.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

OrangeOrbit posted:

Great, thanks to you and Bob. I think that I will just end up replacing the hard drive completely it at some point because the hybrid seems unnecessary to me now. I am probably going to go ahead and get it today/soon because the price with the corporate code (FLEN*2V) is $625 without the SSD and everything else base from the lenovo site. It has dropped $50 since I checked Sunday and it seems like a great deal that I don't want to miss out on. I would be very interested to hear about your upgrading experience when you get around to doing it though! I imagine that I will be upgrading it down the road too.

Holy gently caress, what configuration is that and where are you?

It was $1700 for me with corporate discount, but that's with the 3K screen and upgraded processor. Still, drat.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ashrik posted:

I don't think I quite grasp the difference between newer screens such as IPS, FHD, QHD, etc. OR gloss/matte.
IPS is a screen technology that creates screens that generally have better viewing angles and prettier color reproduction than the 'standard' TN (if it doesn't say IPS, assume TN). Some TN screens are bearable or ok, a lot of them are bad. Most IPS screens will be reasonably good at least.

FHD is Full HD. That means in practice that they've begun calling 1366x768 screens HD, because they have a vertical resolution over 720p. So if it says FHD, it'll be nine times out of ten a 1920x1080 screen. 1920x1200 might also qualify, but you're not going to see that anywhere, ever. This is just about the right resolution for a 15" screen to use without scaling.

QHD means Quad HD. That means the screen is 2560x1440. That's four times the old 1366x768. This would be fantastic on a 15" screen if Windows didn't actually suck at scaling things up occasionally. Most UI elements will be god drat sharp and then you'll have some fuzzy programs and dialogs ruining the show. It's probably nicer and more useful to run natively on a 27" screen at this point. Not yet the must have.

Glossy screens usually have prettier colors, but if you've got any light coming from behind you, you'll have annoying reflections on the screen.

Matte screens have an anti glare coating that will blur those reflections. A lot of people here prefer that for productivity work at least.

Ashrik posted:

Occasionally in this thread, people will talk about aiming for a Broadwell or Haswell chip, and I'm not very familiar with those. Should I be using that to more fine-tune my search?
Broadwell generation cpus are the successors to Haswell generation cpus. In the latest generations of processors, focus has been on lowering power draw (= increasing battery life). The difference between either is incremental, I think. Price is likely going to be the overruling factor here. You can broadly recognise each by the number the processor model starts with. i5-4xxx for Haswell, i5-5xxx for Broadwell, for example.

If you want super sturdy, maybe the Y50 is not for you. Is the impression I've got from some posts in this thread at least.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 10, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

OrangeOrbit posted:

You really might want to think about spending the money to upgrade the screen. The base screen on the T550 is garbage. The i5 may be worth the upgrade over an i3 also.

If you're talking about a T550s and not a T550, let me know what magical tricks you used to get it to $625.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ashrik posted:

Generally you have four generations of chips, with corresponding numbers, each about one year apart

Sandybridge (2xxx series) -> Ivy Bridge (3xxx series) -> Haswell (4xxx series) -> Broadwell (5xxx series)

As you go from left to right the amount of CPU "power" only goes up by perhaps 10% over four years, but the power usage drops by almost half. There is a huge jump in battery life going from Ivy Bridge to Haswell, and a pretty big jump again to Broadwell (there are several broadwell-based laptops that use so little power they don't even have fans)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

For what it's worth there is no noticeable battery life difference between the 820 G1 and G2s we use (4600u and 5600u respectively)

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

Holy gently caress, what configuration is that and where are you?

It was $1700 for me with corporate discount, but that's with the 3K screen and upgraded processor. Still, drat.

I just got the base model without the SSD with these specs and with tax it was just under $700. It says that without the discount that the base price is $950 and even adding all of the extras on I am hitting around $1300. I'm in the US.

T550 (Mine)
Intel Core i5-5200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.70GHz)
Windows 8.1 64
15.6" HD (1366x768), With WWAN
Intel HD Graphics 5500
4GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600MHz SODIMM
500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm, 2.5"

Twerk from Home posted:

You really might want to think about spending the money to upgrade the screen. The base screen on the T550 is garbage. The i5 may be worth the upgrade over an i3 also.

If you're talking about a T550s and not a T550, let me know what magical tricks you used to get it to $625.

I think I have pretty much the same screen on my old Lenovo Ideapad Y560p, is the screen really that bad? I could probably call in and change the order and go the next level up which is the "15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080), with WWAN" for around $90 dollars if it is really worth. I am not interested in spending over $250 more for a screen for the IPS one since I have a desktop monitor that I can plug it into at home.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

OrangeOrbit posted:

T550 (Mine)
Intel Core i5-5200U Processor (3MB Cache, up to 2.70GHz)
Windows 8.1 64
15.6" HD (1366x768), With WWAN
Intel HD Graphics 5500
4GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600MHz SODIMM
500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm, 2.5"

I think I have pretty much the same screen on my old Lenovo Ideapad Y560p, is the screen really that bad? I could probably call in and change the order and go the next level up which is the "15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080), with WWAN" for around $90 dollars if it is really worth. I am not interested in spending over $250 more for a screen for the IPS one since I have a desktop monitor that I can plug it into at home.

It's an issue of resolution more than anything else. 768 vertical lines just isn't enough screen real estate for most people to work comfortably, and will also look ugly on a 15.6" screen. If it were me I'd get the 1080p screen.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

OrangeOrbit posted:

I could probably call in and change the order and go the next level up which is the "15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080), with WWAN" for around $90 dollars if it is really worth. I am not interested in spending over $250 more for a screen for the IPS one since I have a desktop monitor that I can plug it into at home.

You should stop reading this right now and go order the 1080p screen. I'm not even joking.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

So my daughter is going to college and we want to get her a laptop. She would prefer a desk top, because she enjoys gaming. (Sims/Elder Scrolls/etc.)

I want to get her a laptop where she can do both, and my buddy is getting rid of his less than a year old Sony Vaio. I just want to make sure she'll be able to do whatever she needs on it. The specs on it are below.

Intel i7 @ 2.1 ghz

6gb Ram

1080p 15" display

Windows 8.1 Pro

2gb dedicated video card (GeForce GT 640M LE)

256 GB SSD drive

I haven't been a gamer in years, so I have no idea what specs I should be looking for. Would she be able to play those games on that computer and not have it be a chore? If that computer wouldn't work, I'd love to get an idea on what type of specs I should be looking for on a gaming laptop. I don't mind paying for it if I have to, since it is a graduation gift, but if I can get a deal, I'd much rather do that.

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

You should stop reading this right now and go order the 1080p screen. I'm not even joking.

Ok, based on all the advice I called up and changed the screen. I guess if I'm going to be looking at it for (hopefully!) 3-4 years then it should be pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Sataere posted:

So my daughter is going to college and we want to get her a laptop. She would prefer a desk top, because she enjoys gaming. (Sims/Elder Scrolls/etc.)

Intel i7 @ 2.1 ghz

6gb Ram

1080p 15" display

Windows 8.1 Pro

2gb dedicated video card (GeForce GT 640M LE)

The 640m LE is a pretty old chip (figuratively speaking, I think it came out in '11 or '12). It will have trouble playing modern games without keeping the resolution low and the details very low as well.

A modern machine with mid range Maxwell based GPU (GT940/GTX950/GTX960) will smoke it, get better battery life, and be had for under $1000 which is probably the max you would ever want to spend on a laptop for a teen. But I'd you're getting that Sony for super cheap, it will be fine for school work and older, less demanding games.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 11, 2015