Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Ojetor posted:

Next month!? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Why is it not available in Texas?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

burger time posted:

Why is it not available in Texas?

I assume it means WizKids is based in Texas and you cannot buy it directly from them.
E: Weird, I guess not? Must be something weird going on. But just buy it from CSI, MM, or Amazon or something.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I am pretty sure that guy is gonna be a bit overpowered given his focus on versatility.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.
Autocorrect likes to swap "now" and "not", I'm guessing it's a typo.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Has anyone come across a variant of Agricola where instead of drafting, you give out hand-picked selections of cards that work well together? Sort of like hand picked kingdoms in Dominion. I would actually welcome it if it ends up with generally more powerful farms than usual.

I'd like to try this again with some new people soon, but a) the family version can go to hell and b) I've played a bunch on the ipad and a little online and the experience makes card evaluation lopsided and c) I think new people don't really benefit from staring at 10 (e: 14!) random cards in bewilderment anyways.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 8, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Has anyone come across a variant of Agricola where instead of drafting, you give out hand-picked selections of cards that work well together? Sort of like hand picked kingdoms in Dominion. I would actually welcome it if it ends up with generally more powerful farms than usual.

I'd like to try this again with some new people soon, but a) the family version can go to hell and b) I've played a bunch on the ipad and a little online and the experience makes card evaluation lopsided and c) I think new people don't really benefit from staring at 10 (e: 14!) random cards in bewilderment anyways.

That sounds kind of tedious, sorting through hundreds of cards trying to find the exact 30 or whatever you need for a match would take forever. It also kind of defeats the fun/challenge of the game IMO, which is discovering new combos.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

That sounds kind of tedious, sorting through hundreds of cards trying to find the exact 30 or whatever you need for a match would take forever. It also kind of defeats the fun/challenge of the game IMO, which is discovering new combos.

Yeah, I agree these would be problems if I played more often, but given that it never hits the table any more, I could just leave them sorted. Or maybe just print out lists like I do with X-Wing when we're playing a bunch casually. I also think you can still have some work to do coming up with good plays and combos out of 14 hand selected cards if you're learning the game; I wouldn't assume that it rules out the fun of combo building.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I don't really see what you'd get out of pre-selected cards that you wouldn't get out of the draft.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

This is probably a silly idea, but what if you had multiple copies of each card and allowed each player to select their starts? It'd be interesting to see what kind of metagame developed, though there might be a dominant strategy, I'm not experienced enough with Agricola to know really.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Impermanent posted:

I don't really see what you'd get out of pre-selected cards that you wouldn't get out of the draft.

He's talking about simplifying the game for new players without using the family mode.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Card evaluation favors experience and the draft takes time. I don't have a group of people that are interested in playing Agricola 10+ times right now; I either have people who have played it 10+ times and are done with it (wife, gamer friends) or new people who are unlikely to go out and buy it and so the only way they are getting 10 plays in is if I'm playing Agricola 10 times with them. Occurred to me that maybe I could get it to the table if there was something to bridge the gap.

This is probably me trying to fit a round peg in a square hole, though, yep

edit: vvv Family version is super boring and overstays it's welcome, IMO. I wouldn't use it as a gateway because I'd be worried about people thinking the whole hobby is dullsville and retreating back to Catan forever

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 9, 2015

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Just play the Family version.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mince Pieface posted:

This is probably a silly idea, but what if you had multiple copies of each card and allowed each player to select their starts? It'd be interesting to see what kind of metagame developed, though there might be a dominant strategy, I'm not experienced enough with Agricola to know really.
:eyepop:
That.....Is brilliant! Constructed Agricola, like Magic or Netrunner. It would be a fun exercise to try and make a competitive "deck", I think I'm going to try, even if I never get the chance to use it.

I also couldn't tell you if a dominate strategy would exist. If you think about it a 14 card Agricola "deck" is going to be about as complex as the average Magic deck, once you take out the lands and account for 4 copies of each card. There are quite a few Agricola cards out there, 4,500 by my last count on the official site. To put that into Magic terms, Agricola now has as many cards as Magic did during the Urza Block. I will have to assume any constructed Agricola format would have to have some sort of ban list, just by virtue of the volume of cards.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Oh yeah, you could definitely make some retarded engines in Agricola by pre-selecting your hand. Curious about some infinite combos now.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Got Myrmes to the table tonight. Kinda fumbled through it a bit because the rulebook is total garbage. I lost, though, and all three others beat me in points so obviously they got it I guess. I think if I end up playing this more I might invest in some nicer pieces -- it seems weird that they are so variable (little plastic ants, to cubes, to cardboard?). The only question I can't seem to find an answer to is about victory point season bonus. Does this give you 1 point extra if you happen to score a victory point? Or do you get +1 VP every time you score VP for the whole turn?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

So on Saturday my buddy hosted some games at his place. We managed to fit a game of Nations and a game of Alchemists.

It was everyone's first game of Nations and it ran about 3 1/2 hours including teaching time with four people. I brought it and I rehearsed that poo poo the night before. I still managed to forget everything related to stability since I figured I could teach using the round summary as a script. Anyway, it often gets compared to Through the Ages and while TtA is an obvious inspiration, one of the players said that it felt closer to 7 Wonders (which the creators claim as another inspiration). We all played on Chieftain (lowest) difficulty. Difficulty is set individually by each player and determines how many bonus resources you gain should you choose not to grow your population. It became obvious that picking Chieftain was a mistake and was intended for people who had never seen a strategy game before. Three of us ended up very close in score, while the winner completely stomped us since he didn't grow his population at all and just reaped the sweet, sweet bonus resources.

On the whole, though, we all enjoyed it. We really liked the arms race system with stuff like military strength. SU&SD was right when it said that comparison board was the best part of the game. Despite there not being any way to directly affect your opponent, we were always pretty engaged even when it wasn't our turn and reacting to what the others did. I thought the game played smooth as butter for something so long. It's not the deepest game out there despite the length and there is definitely some randomness since there is a market of available cards each turn, even if it is pretty sizable. The game doesn't feel like an empire-building game as much as it is a series of dick-waving contests. The important takeaway is that it isn't TtA and isn't really trying to be. It doesn't have the laundry list of actions that TtA has, which makes it pretty easy to teach.

I'm sure Alchemists is a really fun game. Unfortunately, I'm 2/2 on hosed up games with it. I played it once before with the owner and host of the event. where we totally screwed up the rules. Fair enough, first games tend to go that way. When we finished Nations, the host basically demanded that we play Alchemists. "I know it better this time!" he said. I guess he did, but it still took a long time to explain it to the other people. There was a lot of stop-start in the explanation and confusion about rules. At that point I bet that I had read the manual more times than the owner had. It was a really frustrating time for me because the owner was so dead set on playing a game that he didn't really understand despite our having played it before. This was the same guy who broke the shrink-wrap on Terra Mystica at game night and despite my regularly giving him poo poo about it (not in any nasty way) it feels like his enthusiasm for some games is causing some reckless and annoying scenarios. I don't think I can even properly evaluate Alchemists because I have yet to play a game correctly.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Mister Sinewave posted:

I had not known about this, thanks for posting it :yayclod:
You can also play Terra Mystica against bots if you prefer that to netplay. They're good enough to often but not always beat me; I've heard a skilled player should generally crush them though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gimnbo posted:

It was everyone's first game of Nations and it ran about 3 1/2 hours including teaching time with four people. I brought it and I rehearsed that poo poo the night before. I still managed to forget everything related to stability since I figured I could teach using the round summary as a script. Anyway, it often gets compared to Through the Ages and while TtA is an obvious inspiration, one of the players said that it felt closer to 7 Wonders (which the creators claim as another inspiration). We all played on Chieftain (lowest) difficulty. Difficulty is set individually by each player and determines how many bonus resources you gain should you choose not to grow your population. It became obvious that picking Chieftain was a mistake and was intended for people who had never seen a strategy game before. [n]Three of us ended up very close in score, while the winner completely stomped us since he didn't grow his population at all and just reaped the sweet, sweet bonus resources. [/b]

I'll chalk it up to your first game but I seriously question how this person won if they didn't grow their population at all. Resources are only worth 1/10 of a point at the end of the game so even if he never grew that's only 32 extra resources he's getting or 3vp. He's saving on food and stability but also missing out on military and VP from buildings if he stunted his growth that bad.

Anyways, Nations is 100% about efficiency and it's one of those games where if you get behind you have to really claw your way back up. I think the best overall strategy for the game is to always end your turn with everybody working. You can get into the nitty gritty, figure out what's best for your nation as problems arise from there but as long as no one is unemployed you're doing pretty well.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1382348/new-games-burgundy-dice-and-burgundy-card-games

:psyduck:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ChiTownEddie posted:

I assume it means WizKids is based in Texas and you cannot buy it directly from them.
E: Weird, I guess not? Must be something weird going on. But just buy it from CSI, MM, or Amazon or something.
I took it as "don't show up at our warehouse asking for copies you loving nerds".

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Maybe just ask a decent group if they'll write down the results of their draft for you to use?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Theres a Camel Up expansion?!?

Like actually available. Has anyone here played it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fat Turkey posted:

Theres a Camel Up expansion?!?

Like actually available. Has anyone here played it?

It only came out today. I'm cruising past my local shop in an hour or so, if they have it I will hopefully be playing it tonight. The expansion for Five Tribes takes priority though.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Having EXACTLY enough cards to take that loving summoner mage tower in mage knight feels so good. What a rush over ugly cardboard chits.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Forbidden Stars has been updated on FFG's site to SHIPPING NOW :bubblewoop:

gently caress me it's seventy quid.

I am not paying that for a boardgame.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Mojo Jojo posted:

gently caress me it's seventy quid.

I am not paying that for a boardgame.

CoolStuff does trade ins so I sold a poo poo ton of old magic cards and heroclix I didnt want and bought it that way. It is pretty god drat expensive, lol.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Finally played Tash Kalar. It is a cool game, but looks like it requires a huge time investment to actually get decent at.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I actually kind of liked Starcraft the boardgame when it came out, might give this 40k one a try, although I'll probably play someone else's copy.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Megasabin posted:

Finally played Tash Kalar. It is a cool game, but looks like it requires a huge time investment to actually get decent at.

It's not as bad as you might think. There are only 18 enemies per deck (two of which are the same) and 12 Legendaries. At first, yes, it might seem daunting. But just playing the game will get you to the point where you will start to be able to see what patterns the other person is potentially setting up. Plus, there's absolutely no reason why you can't play with a printout of the enemy/Legendary deck while you're learning the game. If you ever want an opponent, I'm always up for a game on BGA so hit me up via PM. Tash Kalar is one of my favorite abstract strategy games.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Oldstench posted:

It's not as bad as you might think. There are only 18 enemies per deck (two of which are the same) and 12 Legendaries. At first, yes, it might seem daunting. But just playing the game will get you to the point where you will start to be able to see what patterns the other person is potentially setting up. Plus, there's absolutely no reason why you can't play with a printout of the enemy/Legendary deck while you're learning the game. If you ever want an opponent, I'm always up for a game on BGA so hit me up via PM. Tash Kalar is one of my favorite abstract strategy games.

Lately (on BGA) I've been getting demolished in what seem like un-recoverable runaway leader matches. If I lose a few pieces early on, I can either try to interfere with my opponent's objective efforts (and lose more pieces due to their established advantage), or 'retreat' and try to work on other goals, but again against an established advantage. Maybe I've been having terrible flare luck - when you're down 3 to 7 pieces, being able to do a standard leap with a common piece doesn't do much to level the playing field.

Should I just never go after objectives until I have decent pattern options?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

JohnnySavs posted:

Lately (on BGA) I've been getting demolished in what seem like un-recoverable runaway leader matches. If I lose a few pieces early on, I can either try to interfere with my opponent's objective efforts (and lose more pieces due to their established advantage), or 'retreat' and try to work on other goals, but again against an established advantage. Maybe I've been having terrible flare luck - when you're down 3 to 7 pieces, being able to do a standard leap with a common piece doesn't do much to level the playing field.

Should I just never go after objectives until I have decent pattern options?

The balance is to know when to chase objective patterns and when to use your summons to destroy your opponent's objective/summon patterns and/or use summons to destroy an opponent's objective/summon patterns while putting yourself in a stronger position to create a summon/objective pattern. I realize that seems very, "well, duh, that's the loving game", but so many people who I've played against seem to have blinders on towards what I'm doing and simply go pedal-to-the-metal trying to get that sweet 3 pt. diagonal objective which is going to be impossible for them because a) I see it and will do everything in my power to interrupt it, and b) will quietly steal three 1 or 2 pt patterns while they keep throwing pieces away at that one objective. Additionally, (this is mostly about high-form) being aggressive isn't really the best use of your standard or combat moves. Use those moves to create better position for additional summon patterns. If you have an aggressive opponent, either give them space, or let them kill your guys and flare the hell out of her.

It's a solid strategy to kill your own dudes to make flares possible. Sometimes you have a tight box of commons on the bottom left and you need to be in the middle (you are fighting for the middle most of the time, right?). A bomb with a decent flare can help you do that. poo poo, I mostly use bombs to kill my dudes to make flares happen.

Finally, although its utility is rare, don't be afraid to discard. You will lose one being to the discard pile (which you can potentially get back with Sylvan) but you can put up to all your cards in hand to the bottom of their respective decks. If I have a hand-full of crap that simply won't work for me, I'll discard most if not all of my hand and just do 1 common Place action. It can slow you down for a turn, but if you're at that point, you're just holding onto crap you couldn't use anyway, right?

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 9, 2015

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
And do your best not to throw away a summon that can take out a legendary piece, they're valuable and a waste if you're going to use it to whack a common or something, that is unless it causes you to win.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Just to steer the conversation in a new direction suddenly:

Something I really like about being a part of the board gaming hobby is just how active the trading & selling community is. Last month someone bought Cosmic Encounter off me only 6 minutes after I listed it on Facebook. I decided last week that, since there are no new games on my wishlist, I'd instead focus on getting some expansions for my favourite games, especially Dominion for which I only own Hinterlands so far. This evening someone put Dominion: Prosperity up for sale which I snapped up, and even better he lives like 3 miles from where I work so i can go round tomorrow and pick it up, no waiting for delivery!

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I've found similar success with selling stuff. You don't get what you paid for it, but getting a good chunk back is a decent option. I found a guy who is gonna sell me Space Hulk, minus the minis, for 20bux. Guess it's time to hit up the local GW nerds to see if any of them have some terminators and genestealers they want to sell me for cheap. Or I can just proxy the dudes I guess. Any of those thousands of other wargame products have similar looking dudes? (pref. already painted)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

EvilChameleon posted:

I've found similar success with selling stuff. You don't get what you paid for it, but getting a good chunk back is a decent option. I found a guy who is gonna sell me Space Hulk, minus the minis, for 20bux. Guess it's time to hit up the local GW nerds to see if any of them have some terminators and genestealers they want to sell me for cheap. Or I can just proxy the dudes I guess. Any of those thousands of other wargame products have similar looking dudes? (pref. already painted)

You're paying too much.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

You're paying too much.

Aside from the jokes that you're paying too much because the game is bad, you're paying too much for what amounts to cardboard terrain. The minis are where 95% of the game's value lies and getting a full set (whether original or off the shelf standard minis) will undoubtedly be more expensive than buying the full game. The 4th Edition printing kind of flooded the market so you can get a complete Space Hulk for maybe $100.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EvilChameleon posted:

No need for paint, they are already coloured!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So, I'm on a press trip in Hungary about some climate change crap and today had a "simulation game" scheduled. Getting paid per diem for badgaming? Yes please.

The thing was your typical training/simulation game that was pretty much fishing-themed Container/Archipelago that took five hours to resolve. The players were meant to maximise gains catching fish, eventually having to co-operate not to completely deplete their population and tank the economy for everyone. The trick learning experience being, you can't downsize your fleet (which costs upkeep) other than selling it to other players.

Being the only legit gamer around and knowing the system will be rigged towards promoting sustainability I chose to go rogue and turn to hardcore raubtwirtschaft capitalism, 18XX style. Partially as a self-imposed challenge to leverage the badwrongtactics with finesse and partially to troll the final conclusion by winning in the exact way the organizer will want to preach against.

I used some of the leftover time from lunch to math out return on investment and general mechanics poo poo and present my strategy (pure rear end in a top hat brinkmanship) to the team, which thankfully handed the entirety of the decision-making to me (due to combination of knowing my poo poo and being a loud person in general).

Apart from us, one other team went at it, serious-gaming, right from the beginning, but having some quite involved climate change NGO guys in their ranks, they sort of overcommitted leading the way for crisis management. Two other teams went from initial confusion (rules! numbers!) to cautious-but-overall-legit play. One team began slightly confused, but along the way discovered a frankly rather terrifying math prodigy among their ranks. One team chose to gently caress around roleplaying native americans :confused: and not really doing anything of note. They were sort of a mix of a-girlfriend-of-one-of-the-players-that-doesn't-really-want-to-be-there-but-oh-well and probable misguided ideological motivation (they had a lady leftier than Leon Trotsky).

Sadly, I failed. My plan called for staying in the lead without getting too far ahead of everyone else, since the tricky part of aggressive play was avoiding overcommitment and ensuring someone else has more to lose in face of inevitable crisis - we ended up too close to the second aggressive and math prodigy teams and got hosed by the final turn. Also a bit of general sloppiness, probably.

I was sort of an rear end in a top hat in how secretly irritated I was by dealing with non-gamers. I don't regret utterly dominating my team (they didn't give much poo poo anyway), but I was unnnecessarily irritated by the organizer being rather pesky with not-so-subtle tips. "Hmm, what's the interesting information? Did you notice how many fish you caught per boat? I wonder what this means?" Uuh dude, you provided two relevant charts in the rulebook, so kindly shut up, me and my calculator are on this poo poo since turn one.

What the experience taught me was a reminder that reading the game is an actual (if rather worthless) skill. When prodded to comment on stuff during conclusion, despite having the necessary bare minimum knowledge of game theory (someone mentioned the prisoner's dilemma) people tended to project their preconceived notions of real-life issues mirrored by the game rather than truly sticking to the procedural narration. Also, some time later two persons complimented me on being a good negotiator, with me achieving absolutely nothing diplomatically and arguably failing to offload extraneous assets to other teams. The entirety of my diplomacy was failed sales attempts, scary aura of person knowing his poo poo and two public callouts on bullshit. The entirety of my relative success was shrewd business management/system mastery. Usually I wouldn't care about someone misreading the ~*~game strategy~*~, especially in case of a slightly inaccurate compliment, but it struck me this time because of that aspect being precisely limited to not giving a poo poo and failing to sell stuff.

And then we all got drunk and talked about being ironically Serb.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I wonder if the Germans have coined a hellish word to describe the twin competing emotions of pride and contempt I feel towards you right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I bought a used copy of this for a buck:
http://www.amazon.com/Wargaming-Lea...rds=mark+herman

Similar type of thing, but designed by Mark Herman so maybe much more bad rear end? I have only thumbed through it so far

I would be down to take a day off and play Fire in Fosbourne's Office: A COIN Game