Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

That thread has some good posting that is gonna lead to bans right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

spectralent posted:

So Beast's pretty poo poo. The thing I find most worrying is how strongly a lot of people seem to have identified with the Ghost of Christmas Child Abuse.

I'm not too surprised about that. There's definitely a queer subtext to Beast, under the abusively petty text. If someone's desperate enough for a game with queer subtext that they don't think about how weird the rest of Beast is conceptually, I can't really blame them. I hope they find a better queer game to connect with, but I can't blame them.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Tezzor posted:

http://nwod.org/wiki/index.php/Provoke_Wrath

Can trigger rage frenzy in a vampire, so fear frenzy for the same level seems reasonable. And yes, if we're going by this, Mind 3 can exactly replicate the effects of Nightmare 3. Unlike Nightmare 3, it can also do dozens of other things. As far as vampire powers "being dot-for-dot stronger and more convenient to use" than Mage powers, to keep it just within Nightmare, Nightmare 5 can for 1 Willpower cause lethal psychically. Mind 5 can cause lethal psychically for free, or agg for 1 Mana. In addition to that, it can also possess people, read and utterly dominate minds, read and rewrite personalities and memories, imprison someone in the Astral plane, create a mind, enter the Shadow, network minds together, get up to +5 in up to 6 attributes and/or 3-5 ranks in any skill or skills, paralyze, drain willpower, create hallucinations, decrease a target's mental or social attribute, turn off a target's senses, enter dreams, or make someone fall in love. And about a third of that is covert.

There's no listed "provoke terror" spell, and forcing someone to attack you has very different balance considerations from forcing someone to flee you, so there's no reason to believe that it's also Mind 3 to force a vampire or werewolf into fear frenzy. For both monsters, fear frenzies are much more niche than anger frenzies - vampire anger frenzies explicitly trump vampire fear frenzies, and for werewolves the fear frenzy is a subset of the anger frenzy that only occurs under certain conditions.

That said, let's pretend that you're right and you can cast a reversed version of that spell at the same dot level. If you cast the spell successfully, overcoming your target's resistance... you provoke a frenzy check. You know, the regular old ResCom roll that, itself, isn't really contested or penalized by anything? Vampires get to do it as an extended action, so even if you absolutely crush them with your custom spell they'll just spend three turns shrugging it off instead of one. When Eye of the Beast overcomes your resistance, you just stop playing for the rest of the scene.

I don't know why you keep listing all the different things Mind can do, as though that's relevant to the point. In general, Mind does things in a more finnicky, temporary, and lower-powered way than do comparable Disciplines; individual mage spells work on about the same level as individual 1E werewolf Gifts. There are specific functions at which Mind is actually even or better - Psychic Sword is as strong as Mortal Fear and, as you say, cheaper - but if you want long-term slaves or gibbering wrecks or the other things that the Disciplines accomplish, the Disciplines are just better at making them. Also I notice you've slipped yet another reference to the results of ritually cast buff stacking because you just can't actually seal the deal re: the thing we've been talking about.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Can we just like...start handing them a copy of Monster Hearts or something?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

unseenlibrarian posted:

Monsterhearts is a good game and more people should play it. It encourages you to be an abusive jerkass but this doesn't actually solve anything and there's certainly no authorial pat on the back for managing to entangle yourself in a web of hosed up relationships.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

unseenlibrarian posted:

Really, we could just point them to other WoD splats. Changelings, Prometheans, and Demons all hit great points for marginalized group stand-ins.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

spectralent posted:

So Beast's pretty poo poo. The thing I find most worrying is how strongly a lot of people seem to have identified with the Ghost of Christmas Child Abuse.

I'm not really worried on the public front, Beast has provoked a pretty strongly negative reaction overall, with defenders being outliers instead of the norm. The only poll I've seen (on rpg.net) is hovering pretty firmly at the majority of people outright not liking Beast, with a strong majority thinking it has problems.

I'm more worried that nothing is going to be done to fix Beast, although I'm not even sure where'd you start, because everything I've seen from the creators has given me the sense that they're going full criticism turtle.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Tulul posted:

I'm not really worried on the public front, Beast has provoked a pretty strongly negative reaction overall, with defenders being outliers instead of the norm. The only poll I've seen (on rpg.net) is hovering pretty firmly at the majority of people outright not liking Beast, with a strong majority thinking it has problems.

I'm more worried that nothing is going to be done to fix Beast, although I'm not even sure where'd you start, because everything I've seen from the creators has given me the sense that they're going full criticism turtle.

I think it may be less of a "criticism turtle" and more of a "panic because as this stuff become more clear it's looking like the choice is either massive rewrites and pushing the book back months and starting huge sections over from scratch or releasing the book with a few minor changes to try to make things clearer and risking your professional reputation which has, up to now, been sterling."

I mean, let's not forget that "Integrity 4" was supposed to be a small fix to clarify the role of heroes and it only made things worse.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, I think the integrity 4 thing is "We haven't internalized the switch from Morality", basically.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

So one of the amusing things about this meme, is that Brutal Casting doesn't actually exist. I didn't like it in the first draft of Mage's Merits, so I deleted it in the redlines.

And not a single one of you knows what it was supposed to do. Only David Hill and I do.
That you killed it and are glad to see it dead only reinforces my feeling that you're one of the best ones.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
You think you're safe? You're not safe. It'll be back. Some freelancer will sneak it into some supplement somewhere, maybe under a more innocuous name.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think that one of the issues with the feeding mechanics is that the "nice" beasts feeding practices don't even seem like feeding practices, just 'things people do, except sinister'. Like the Tyrant with his MBA working his way to the top of a company. Which strikes me as 1 dice feeding opportunity, at best. And he's not going to be rolling that often, and the minute he gets a 1 he's in a giant pile of trouble.

Tulul posted:

The Kickstarter comments are staying positive but that's because only backers can comment

"Matt McFarland posted:

Gotta tell you, it's right nice seeing some positive comments about my game.

We're going to be changing some things, but I've got some interesting ideas.

The OPP thread is also shouting down detractors and coming up with increasingly bizarre metaphors for beasts which just create even more confusing parallels. Such as beasts as people on a diet.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

How consequential are the nightmares that people get for being around a Satiety 0 Beast, anyway? It seems like causing people to have bad dreams is less ruinous, over all, than abusing them in the waking world.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Ferrinus posted:

How consequential are the nightmares that people get for being around a Satiety 0 Beast, anyway? It seems like causing people to have bad dreams is less ruinous, over all, than abusing them in the waking world.

Psychologically devastating to the point where they may become Heroes. Their dream-selves are drawn into the Beast's lair, killed, and eaten.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The reading I got was that they were the capital N nightmares that beasts get as powers. So your Soul is going out and casting "BEHOLD MY TRUE FORM" or "YOU ARE MEAT" on a bunch of people.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Tezzor posted:

http://nwod.org/wiki/index.php/Provoke_Wrath

Can trigger rage frenzy in a vampire, so fear frenzy for the same level seems reasonable. And yes, if we're going by this, Mind 3 can exactly replicate the effects of Nightmare 3. Unlike Nightmare 3, it can also do dozens of other things. As far as vampire powers "being dot-for-dot stronger and more convenient to use" than Mage powers, to keep it just within Nightmare, Nightmare 5 can for 1 Willpower cause lethal psychically. Mind 5 can cause lethal psychically for free, or agg for 1 Mana. In addition to that, it can also possess people, read and utterly dominate minds, read and rewrite personalities and memories, imprison someone in the Astral plane, create a mind, enter the Shadow, network minds together, get up to +5 in up to 6 attributes and/or 3-5 ranks in any skill or skills, paralyze, drain willpower, create hallucinations, decrease a target's mental or social attribute, turn off a target's senses, enter dreams, or make someone fall in love. And about a third of that is covert.

I hate to break it to you, but you're just not going to win an argument with Ferrinus. You can rest assured he can deconstruct any argument you may care to make.

I guess you could say you're working with a Discipline related to internet argument, and he's working with an Arcana.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Ferrinus posted:

You think you're safe? You're not safe. It'll be back. Some freelancer will sneak it into some supplement somewhere, maybe under a more innocuous name.

'Enthusiastic Casting'

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Adept Nightingale posted:

I guess you could say you're working with a Discipline related to internet argument, and he's working with an Arcana.

One of us has a single, clean point to make and the other is rooting around in a huge grab bag of maybe-applicable but hard-to-stick examples.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Kurieg posted:

The OPP thread is also shouting down detractors and coming up with increasingly bizarre metaphors for beasts which just create even more confusing parallels. Such as beasts as people on a diet.

I needed that laugh. For real? I'm struggling to understand the context this is meant to work with but my mental image of it is still hilarious.

Kurieg posted:

The reading I got was that they were the capital N nightmares that beasts get as powers. So your Soul is going out and casting "BEHOLD MY TRUE FORM" or "YOU ARE MEAT" on a bunch of people.

It's not like chronic insomnia from night terrors is much better even if they're not actually super trauma sorcery.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

spectralent posted:

I needed that laugh. For real? I'm struggling to understand the context this is meant to work with but my mental image of it is still hilarious.

Technically, a diet of human flesh is a diet.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Dammit Who? posted:

Yes, I agree. From what other people who've known him longer say it seems very unlikely that McFarland would intend for his work to come across this way.

It's especially baffling because he also wrote the lion's share of World of Darkness: Innocents — most notably, the lengthy sidebar explicitly instructing Storytellers to leave real-world child abuse out of the game, to let the child characters' antagonists be imaginary monsters and not too-familiar real-world monsters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

spectralent posted:

quote:

I would point out: has anyone here ever had to struggle with being hungry? Or to stay on a regimented diet?

Starvation leads your brain to focus on good. While your cognitive function doesn't decline (otherwise, how would human, without tooth or claw, get food). But it does distract you from tasks that are not centered on food. They have shown starvation is akin to withdrawal, while food triggers similar pathways to recreational drugs (and some suspect obesity to be due to these pathways firing too much, creating literal addictions).

And then you have diets, where you are willingly starving yourself and depriing yourself of things that give you pleasure. Therr is a reason most people fail their diet regimines, and it is because you are essentially pitting your individual discipline against millions of years of evolutionary instinct. To top it off, even the discipline can undermine you, as flawed thoughts: "I can't eat this" is more likely to lead you to cheat, as such a denial leads to part of your brain rebelling against the part telling it it can't do something (it is like when you tell a 6 year old he can't have a cookie... he will then want it even more).

And the obvious inverse is over eating and poor consumption control, when you keep eating when full or to often. I mean, the obesity crisis is there in part because a lot of processed foods trigger the reward process too well (I still remember my button class in Medical School showing an FMRI of someone on coke and someone who was both overweight and eating some form of processed desert (name wasnt given)...the overlap was scary). Point being, not eating too much is only a bit easier than keeping yourself from eating, sue to the same pathways.

Now imagine that it isn't something physical, but metaphysical. Your soul literally thirsts for something, and is starving. And it feels good to sate it , just like a cheeseburger would taste like nirvana after being in the desert for a week without food. It isn't something you can fully control, because if you don't feed it, it will hijack the dreams of others and feed itself. And feeding it to the point of it literally falling into a metaphysical "food coma" is nearly as dangerous as letting it starve. And the issue is, you have to let it be hungry unless you are willing to act in the dark manners to fulfill it, harming mankind (even if it is a non-persistent manner to only those who "deserve it") in someway to instill the fear you need to feed.

Beasts have an inner struggle, just like anyone on a diet. There diet simply is "not instilling terror into humanity".

Omitting, of course, when humans don't eat enough our stomachs don't leave our bodies and chow down at the local fast food joint.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kurieg posted:

Omitting, of course, when humans don't eat enough our stomachs don't leave our bodies and chow down at the local fast food joint.

Also that binging on cake doesn't equate to child abuse on even the most tortured metaphorical level.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kai Tave posted:

Also that binging on cake doesn't equate to child abuse on even the most tortured metaphorical level.

You've never tried to debate someone who took a Freshman ethics course, I see.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Kai Tave posted:

Do not even pretend that, somewhere, there is not a draft from Taxi Beast's writer about the sinister clown who feeds by stealing children's birthday cakes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kai Tave posted:

Unless you're Jonathan Swift writing a satirical letter, anyway.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

Brütal Cåstīng

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Effectronica posted:

Brütal Cåstīng

Tim Schafer is plotzing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The argument that the "moral" beasts that feed through minorly inconveniencing people aren't dangerous falls apart if you actually read the text. Because that's not the way you get a lot of Satiety. They're more likely to hit 0 as a result and getting out of Ravenous requires a feed with a Satiety potential of 8, killing a hero, or your soul succeeding on a chance die nightmare feeding, which will always create a hero.

These kinds of beasts are also the kind are going to spend satiety slowly, if at all, so they're going to be sitting at sated for a long time. Meaning that they're very likely to get Anathemas on them. The only way to resolve an anathema is to go down to ravenous and come back out.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Effectronica posted:

Brütal Cåstīng

This seems like "American Ninja Warrior" if it was about finding actors for TV shows and movies.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Axelgear posted:

Do not even pretend that, somewhere, there is not a draft from Taxi Beast's writer about the sinister clown who feeds by stealing children's birthday cakes.

The clown beast has stolen 40 cakes, and that's terrible.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Daeren posted:

You've never tried to debate someone who took a Freshman ethics course, I see.

Beast really IS the oWoD all over again.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Gilok posted:

The clown beast has stolen 40 cakes, and that's terrible.

Here we see an Eshmaki getting owned because he made the grave mistake of trying to kill his Namtaru rival in his Lair.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

This seems like "American Ninja Warrior" if it was about finding actors for TV shows and movies.

I know a guy who tried out for that and he got a broken leg for his trouble. He's gonna try again though.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Daeren posted:

This reminds me of that grimoire that's a limited run vinyl of a death metal album that actually plays "Satanic" High Speech when run backwards, and has a rote to turn a corpse's skeleton into metal and rip itself free from the body.

God drat, that was great.

That one was mine. There's a reference to it in one of my stories in The Fallen World Chronicle Anthology.

The name actually comes from a friend of mine. We were going to print t-shirts with that name and some graphics and claim to be into the most obscure possible band. That's why Schattenbahn has a similarly synthetic origin.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
At the risk of detracting from the Beast discussion...

So it's a kind of accepted in NWoD that Mages are the most potentially powerful supernatural template, with Changelings being one of the lower-tier ones being slightly above mortals.

I don't know if supernatural splats are grouped into tiers, but for the ones already out, how would they rank from top to bottom in terms of overall power and versatility? Not just cheap exploits, but stuff many non-optimized gamers do as well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Daeren posted:

Here we see an Eshmaki getting owned because he made the grave mistake of trying to kill his Namtaru rival in his Lair.

This picture makes me unreasonably happy after seeing Alien: Isolation.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Libertad! posted:

At the risk of detracting from the Beast discussion...

So it's a kind of accepted in NWoD that Mages are the most potentially powerful supernatural template, with Changelings being one of the lower-tier ones being slightly above mortals.

I don't know if supernatural splats are grouped into tiers, but for the ones already out, how would they rank from top to bottom in terms of overall power and versatility? Not just cheap exploits, but stuff many non-optimized gamers do as well.

Changelings certainly outclass mortals to a substantial degree; a lot of their abilities are based around changeling inherent features rather than their powers, though, which makes them less dramatic than other splats in straight-up comparisons.

Demons and Geists are up near the top too, though Demons get a boost from Going Loud which carries some pretty hefty penalties. Prometheans were historically very resilient but I'm not sure how they stack up with new turbodeath werewolves.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dave Brookshaw posted:

So one of the amusing things about this meme, is that Brutal Casting doesn't actually exist. I didn't like it in the first draft of Mage's Merits, so I deleted it in the redlines.

And not a single one of you knows what it was supposed to do. Only David Hill and I do.
Make it come back. I don't even care what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

MalcolmSheppard posted:

That one was mine. There's a reference to it in one of my stories in The Fallen World Chronicle Anthology.

The name actually comes from a friend of mine. We were going to print t-shirts with that name and some graphics and claim to be into the most obscure possible band. That's why Schattenbahn has a similarly synthetic origin.

That whole part of the story made me really happy. The Unmurdered Man might be my favorite piece of World of Darkness fiction, it was a total joy to read.