Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

katlington posted:

Scott Morrison knew of Nauru abuse a year before government acted, inquiry told

http://gu.com/p/49jxj

Quoting this since it got lost in a sea of goons arguing about computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jonah Galtberg posted:

This is awful but so totally unsurprising.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Zero people will get in poo poo as a result of this. Not so much as a wrist-slap.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

If you go from the theory that Joe Hockey is either one of the Keystone Cops, or some kind of Labor stealth plant it makes so much more sense.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Auspol gift idea: Apparently you can order David Pope cartoon prints, A4 or A3, and he will sign in pencil http://scratch.com.au/

Gonna get my boomer mum the Gough 'It's Time' cartoon from Canberra times October 22nd 2014.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I don't think it's got much attention because it's just what we all already knew anyway.

Any time there are allegations of abuse it just gets a "not our problem" from the government and a "Well they shouldn't have tried to jump the queue" from the general public. I would have been surprised if the government didn't know things are awful there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It always pains me how routine the detention and Nauru stuff is. Like, I want to care, what's going on is terrible, but all of this news just keeps coming, and it's exhausting to even try to keep caring, since it's not getting better and there's little to nothing I can actually do.

Meanwhile the government's doing things that, while still terrible, aren't 'torturing children' terrible, that seem a lot less concrete, are far more immediately relevant to me, and seem a lot more controllable. Even though I know I want the Nauru thing to be solved, I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

hooman posted:

Play the man not the ball. Play the man not the ball. Play the man not the ball.

She didn't make unfounded allegations, a whistleblower loving revealed this poo poo to the senate!

quote:

Mr Hockey was on the defensive today.

"Let's not play the man, let's actually deal with the policy," he told the ABC's AM program.

"Housing is very expensive and I understand that. Look, I totally understand that.
Video: 'Get a good job', Hockey tells first-home buyers

"When you're committing so much of your wage to your mortgage, it's a big ask, with all the other pressures in life.

"Yes, it is difficult for first home buyers to get into the market, there's no doubt about that."

The Memes...

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The Hun

quote:

AUSTRALIA'S embattled human rights watchdog presides over a mini empire with dozens of fat cats earning $100,000-plus salaries.

These human rights fat cats

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

The Hun

These human rights fat cats

They just listened to Joe Hockey and got better paying jobs. Soon they too will be able to live buy a third investment property in Sydney.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah Joe, seems I'm contributing my tax dollars to pay off your wife's loving mortgage for a home in Canberra. $270 a night for cost of living away from home allowance - he pumps it straight back into his wife's home as 'rent' to the tune of $100,000 - then has the audacity to tell everyone else to get a better job. What, so we can pay you more you greedy incredulous gently caress?

"Did that go into the mortgage?" host Tony Jones asked.

"Well, Tony, I don't know. I pay rent," Mr Hockey replied.

"You pay rent to your wife?" Jones asked.

"Is there a problem with that?''

Yes Joe, there is.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Diet Crack posted:

Yeah Joe, seems I'm contributing my tax dollars to pay off your wife's loving mortgage for a home in Canberra. $270 a night for cost of living away from home allowance - he pumps it straight back into his wife's home as 'rent' to the tune of $100,000 - then has the audacity to tell everyone else to get a better job. What, so we can pay you more you greedy incredulous gently caress?

"Did that go into the mortgage?" host Tony Jones asked.

"Well, Tony, I don't know. I pay rent," Mr Hockey replied.

"You pay rent to your wife?" Jones asked.

"Is there a problem with that?''

Yes Joe, there is.

This poo poo has been going on for years now. First time I heard this I thought it would be ruled conflict of interest and stopped. However that was in early 2007

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

This poo poo has been going on for years now. First time I heard this I thought it would be ruled conflict of interest and stopped. However that was in early 2007

Lifters and leaners, play the ball not the man, I think I'm broken now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Unions are meeting with BlueScope this morning after it was revealed the Port Kembla Steelworks may close if major cost savings aren’t achieved.

Up to 1000 jobs are directly at risk, the Illawarra Mercury reported.

AWU branch secretary Wayne Phillips said the company had given direction to workers to find savings of $50 per tonne of steel and if that wasn’t achieved, one option may be to shut the steel-making plant.

“They’ve been looking it for a few months, on the quiet. We’ve heard rumours, which have all been denied, but now it’s out in the open.

With China flooding the world with steel that is cheaper than lettuce (literally), this is no great surprise as it continues the decimation of Australian manufacturing.

It’s a blessing, really, given the unemployed can get higher paid jobs so that they can afford a house up the road.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2015/06/1000-jobs-at-risk-port-kembla-mulls-closure/

Isn't Hockeynomics grand?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cleretic posted:

I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compassion_fatigue

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

To be fair, the steelworks there has been doomed for a very long time. I went there for a uni excursion and they only had one blast furnace running out of 3 or so. (Blast furnaces are extremely expensive to start up, and so once started are left on for decades. You don't turn them off on a whim.)

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Diet Crack posted:

Yeah Joe, seems I'm contributing my tax dollars to pay off your wife's loving mortgage for a home in Canberra. $270 a night for cost of living away from home allowance - he pumps it straight back into his wife's home as 'rent' to the tune of $100,000
Can they claim the allowance even when they're not in Canberra?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
RESPONDING to questions about housing affordability in Sydney and Melbourne, the prime minister empathised with people trying to buy their first home.

“Even as a cabinet minister sometimes it’s hard to pay a Sydney mortgage and I know over the years I’ve earnt a lot more than the average person,” he told reporters in western Sydney on Wednesday, noting the Abbott family was still paying off its home.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Mr Chips posted:

Can they claim the allowance even when they're not in Canberra?

Yes. It covers any living away from home expenses. Doesn't matter where they are, be it a hotel, cruise ship or even their own home!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

d3rt posted:

Auspol gift idea: Apparently you can order David Pope cartoon prints, A4 or A3, and he will sign in pencil http://scratch.com.au/

Gonna get my boomer mum the Gough 'It's Time' cartoon from Canberra times October 22nd 2014.

Awesome! Thanks.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

Former lord mayor of Newcastle and developer Jeff McCloy has taken his fight against a ban on political donations from developers in New South Wales to the High Court of Australia.

Mr McCloy is embroiled in an investigation by the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC), over donations of more than $30,000 to candidates in the 2011 state election.

Mr McCloy's lawyers said the law was at odds with the implied freedom of political communication in the constitution.

The court has also been asked to look at the state's cap on donations for certain groups, and the ban on indirect donations.

Lawyers for Mr McCloy argued the law also prevented the tobacco, liquor and gambling industry from making political donations.

But in their submissions to the High Court they said it was wrong to ban a particular class of voters, particularly when the measure has no connection or was disproportionate to a legitimate end.

The submissions suggested the law does not achieve its aim of preventing corruption.

But lawyers for the State Government said in their submissions that was wrong and the law was appropriately aimed at that legitimate end.

They said the law only sought to control the source of the donations, not the communication between voters and legislators.

They also said developers were more vulnerable to the decisions of Government and are in a different class to others, and in addition make up a significant proportion of the complaints to the ICAC.

This was disputed by Mr McCloy's legal team, who said the state could only come up with eight examples over the last 25 years.

But the Government said this was a significant number.

Questions raised in the landmark 1997 Lange case on the freedom of political communication will be key to the High Court's ruling.

DONATIONS ARE NOT POLITICAL COMMUNICATION. WE DO NOT NEED CITIZENS UNITED V FEC IN AUSTRALIA. FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

How the loving Christ does a group of people so out of touch with society (and reality) manage to convince that same society to loving vote for them?

gently caress bogans.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I dunno about you guys but i'm not a huge fan of the current goverment

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Lid posted:

DONATIONS ARE NOT POLITICAL COMMUNICATION. WE DO NOT NEED CITIZENS UNITED V FEC IN AUSTRALIA. FOR FUCKS SAKE.

How are they not? I mean I'm not saying the law should be changed, but it seems like a political donation is pretty clearly political communication.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

open24hours posted:

How are they not? I mean I'm not saying the law should be changed, but it seems like a political donation is pretty clearly political communication.

The implied political speech in the constitution was explicitly wound back by the High Court to deal with the concept of free speech only in regards to politics, as in speech. The extension of free speech, a right to be heard, to political donations only was accepted very recently in the US Supreme Court due to Citizens United v. FEC (2010) which is a decision widely criticised and urged to be wound back that interpreted their much wider free speech constitutional doctrine to include political donations. Our definition of political communication is significantly more narrow and of course the political aspects of it would be to allow back in the issue of corporate bribery.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Laserface posted:

How the loving Christ does a group of people so out of touch with society (and reality) manage to convince that same society to loving vote for them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2-v3-Un1v0

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What's the difference between the current case and the one mentioned in this article?
http://theconversation.com/the-nsw-...-21-years-21676

Is he challenging laws that were introduced after the earlier ones were declared invalid, or is it a separate thing?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

open24hours posted:

What's the difference between the current case and the one mentioned in this article?
http://theconversation.com/the-nsw-...-21-years-21676

Is he challenging laws that were introduced after the earlier ones were declared invalid, or is it a separate thing?

In truth I think that decision was wrong as well.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
shouldn't it be Julia's face and Kevin in front?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Cleretic posted:

It always pains me how routine the detention and Nauru stuff is. Like, I want to care, what's going on is terrible, but all of this news just keeps coming, and it's exhausting to even try to keep caring, since it's not getting better and there's little to nothing I can actually do.

Meanwhile the government's doing things that, while still terrible, aren't 'torturing children' terrible, that seem a lot less concrete, are far more immediately relevant to me, and seem a lot more controllable. Even though I know I want the Nauru thing to be solved, I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

You'll get a chance to relive it decades from now when there's a Royal Commission and can think back to all the people you knew who supported it as they swear black and blue they didn't know.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

RESPONDING to questions about housing affordability in Sydney and Melbourne, the prime minister empathised with people trying to buy their first home.

“Even as a cabinet minister sometimes it’s hard to pay a Sydney mortgage and I know over the years I’ve earnt a lot more than the average person,” he told reporters in western Sydney on Wednesday, noting the Abbott family was still paying off its home.

quote:

is no stranger to a thumping home loan and a bit of financial pressure. When he lost his job as a Howard government minister after the 2007 election defeat, losing about $90,000 in salary, he took a new $710,000 mortgage on his house in Forestville to cover his costs of living and the private school fees for two of his three daughters.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/theurbanist/2012/05/11/is-tony-abbott-feeling-a-bit-of-financial-pressure/

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Laserface posted:

By throwing a lot of money at advertising (I refuse to call them PSA's or whatever, because they were so misleading and devoid of fact) through channels owned by a pair of cunts that have their hands deep inside the lib party pockets.

Also compulsory voting for idiots. (Yes I know it's a double edged sword.)

Probably just a general disinterest in politics by a majority of the population, throwing away votes because they don't care.

Take your pick.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Since I've spammed up Facebook enough lately, a couple of interesting videos to bring out whenever someone opposed to same-sex marriage tries to claim that their sides most prominent voices aren't fuelled by bigotry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUip9tpX0s8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ6lu8dmW1k

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Diet Crack posted:

By throwing a lot of money at advertising (I refuse to call them PSA's or whatever, because they were so misleading and devoid of fact) through channels owned by a pair of cunts that have their hands deep inside the lib party pockets.

Also compulsory voting for idiots. (Yes I know it's a double edged sword.)

Probably just a general disinterest in politics by a majority of the population, throwing away votes because they don't care.

Take your pick.

Not caring is a coping strategy. If you have no influence, which most people don't, caring can be distressing. If you convince yourself you don't have a stake in it, which is relatively easy if you have a job and a stable life, then it's easier to accept how bad everything is.

People don't care because we have bad politicians, rather than we have bad politicians because people don't care.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
This man can't pay off his mortgage:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
It is wednesday, and that means it is time for First Dog on the Moon:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Pre-emptive dogging to beat tink

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

gently caress

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think First Dog is taking the piss at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Pickled Tink posted:

It is wednesday, and that means it is time for First Dog on the Moon:

Too long did not read.

• Locked thread