Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I mean comparatively you could have gotten a chain panic in at least two moments there, so while your luck wasn't fantastic, I'd have expected it to have gone much worse, especially at the end fight. It sucks you got pretty much everyone hurt, but you got a good lesson out of the new AI amirite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I did it!!!

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Jesus christ that was bloody, I was sure the Outsider was going to take out a second soldier on the way out as a final "gently caress you".

Welcome new rookies! Please do not be alarmed at the all the people in the med bay. While soldiers getting injured for months is indeed a rare occurrence we have instituted a firm regimen of mandatory preemptive bed warming to prepare for such events. The soldiers assigned to this duty sometimes complain and like to prank new soldiers by pretending to have been horribly injured in missions gone catastrophically wrong. What a bunch of jokers.

e: Colonel for Colonel and Bedwarmer for Koorisch. :v:

Kaislioc fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 10, 2015

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I mean comparatively you could have gotten a chain panic in at least two moments there, so while your luck wasn't fantastic, I'd have expected it to have gone much worse, especially at the end fight. It sucks you got pretty much everyone hurt, but you got a good lesson out of the new AI amirite?

I always seem to get new AI lessons :/ . Also, (re)learning lessons about CCS. And et cetera. I think the biggest takeaway is to take a break during long difficult missions.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Just got back from work and finished up the rest of the video where I left it at the cliff hanger of a sectoid running behind a bunch of clowns. It went well all things considered, really does show how much more of a threat Outsiders are now though.

My suggestion for Koorisch's nickname is Nurse, because she's been in there so often most of the personal assume she works there! :v: Also hello nurse jokes.

ProfessorBooty posted:

I always seem to get new AI lessons :/ . Also, (re)learning lessons about CCS. And et cetera. I think the biggest takeaway is to take a break during long difficult missions.

Honestly I don't think you needed to learn anything new there, I think your initial assement of the only thing that would cause a Thin Man to be suicidal is a kill shot... and forgot that a critical plasma shot from one could probably one-shot Cedric. And hey, flanks are pretty good for getting crits, I should know! It happens, no reason to berate you for it because you've already beaten yourself up enough Commander Booty.

Aside from that, my take on when you guys looked at CCS is... you know, I think that was just janky poo poo right there. That shoulda gone off, unless it was some sort of weird 5 foot step that wouldn't trigger overwatchs, and thus CCS? Who knows.

I am looking hella forward to Aggression though.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
CCS is described wrong, and its mechanics are janky. It should be described like so:

"Confers a reaction shot to an enemy on foot in sight that crosses a boundary 4 tiles away from the unit . Does not require overwatch. Units with covering fire get a reaction shot on any unit on foot that takes an action within four tiles of the unit"

Normally I'm pretty good at using CCS. The issue is that the outsider was already within the 4 tile boundary. So though the outsider 'closed within 4 tiles', he didn't break the imaginary 4 tile circle around koorisch.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ProfessorBooty posted:

CCS is described wrong, and its mechanics are janky. It should be described like so:

"Confers a reaction shot to an enemy on foot in sight that crosses a boundary 4 tiles away from the unit . Does not require overwatch. Units with covering fire get a reaction shot on any unit on foot that takes an action within four tiles of the unit"

Normally I'm pretty good at using CCS. The issue is that the outsider was already within the 4 tile boundary. So though the outsider 'closed within 4 tiles', he didn't break the imaginary 4 tile circle around koorisch.

That was my thoughts on it as well, but I'm way too drat tired to put it so eloquently.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
The other day I was doing some number crunching/excel-com and came to a conclusion. Carbines are nearly useless, especially early on. They get slightly better as time goes on as you are giving up a smaller percent of your damage for the accuracy boost.
Carbines are only good if you are taking very low accuracy shots, in most cases that would be below 25% chance to hit, and you aren't likely to take those shots, additionally they tend to not have enough power to one shot low health enemies with any reliability. This holds true for the first two tiers as although the second tier increases damage, it also makes low accuracy shots rarer.
Battle/Heavy Rifles on the other hand are the opposite, early on they are actually pretty decent with a tailing value as time goes on. At hit rates above 40% Battle Rifles and Heavy Laser rifles will do better than their standard brethren, also they both more or less always one-shot sectoids in full cover and drones when they hit. Plus the malus only applies if you moved, so it frequently ends up being a free point of damage.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
My condolences to Cedric's family, but congratulations to Captain Foo for his down-to-the-wire kill! I agree with the Commander that our faith in you was never misplaced. Also, now that we have a few new weapons on the way, hopefully we will have a chance to make our air forces shine even brighter!

Got another week until my own plane is back in service, but looking forward to more good news from the front!

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Have you seen the LW Show Hit Chances mod?

It's quite informative since it outputs the true number at the moment the shot is made. Also shows you the hit % aliens have on your own dudes.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Leave "Kitten" for CC. The game knows what it's doing. Also Kitten Colonel Corazion sounds great.

RIP Meld Runner, may you dream of bio-mechanically enhanced sheep eternally.

Zaark
Oct 26, 2007

ProfessorBooty posted:

Yeah, I found this out the hard way on the Newfoundland mission. Another fun bonus, I don't think it activates either if the enemy enters the 4 tile radius while they're out of sight and then runs up you (like if your assault is one tile from a corner and an alien runs round).

Rough mission, but could have been a lot rougher. During the outsider fire fight I serious wondered if you'd get wiped but you pulled it off splendidly. Only two losses at this point in the game is nothing to be ashamed about.

Goodbye Cedric, you'll be running for Meld with the angels now.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Poor Cedric, you shall be missed.

A few stumbles and missteps just make your successes and triumphs look even better Prof, don't let it get to you.

Out of curiosity are there plans to give dead soldiers a second go, a clone or long lost twin, the such?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Goddamnit, Commander Booty, you lost us a good man.

Keep Kitten for Corazon. That is amazing. Medbay works better for Koorish, since that's what it's usually called these days anyway.

ProfessorBooty posted:

Maybe worth poking the Long War mod maker with a notice? "Skill is hosed, this description works better" ?

That, or Jake Solomon fix your old game before making a sequel :xcom:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
He died as he lived. Running into harm's way.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

HiKaizer posted:

Out of curiosity are there plans to give dead soldiers a second go, a clone or long lost twin, the such?

I probably will, but unfortunately it means they move to the bottom of the list. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle someone who dies on their first mission.

Corvinus posted:

Have you seen the LW Show Hit Chances mod?

It's quite informative since it outputs the true number at the moment the shot is made. Also shows you the hit % aliens have on your own dudes.

I'll have to take a look. Is that the same feature they're describing for the next release, or is it going to be a different feature?

And Xelada: That's why I take damage boosting items, especially earlier on. Understanding expected damage is important. If it was possible to bring a 'perfect squad' though, you'd have your people who focus on high expected damage, with a couple people with high chance to hit (it doesn't matter if you do 10 damage to a 2 HP target). This is why I think the 'executioner' perk is in the wrong class trees, for the most part.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ModeWondershot posted:

My condolences to Cedric's family, but congratulations to Captain Foo for his down-to-the-wire kill! I agree with the Commander that our faith in you was never misplaced. Also, now that we have a few new weapons on the way, hopefully we will have a chance to make our air forces shine even brighter!

Got another week until my own plane is back in service, but looking forward to more good news from the front!

Hope I earned myself a Phoenix Cannon!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

xelada posted:

The other day I was doing some number crunching/excel-com and came to a conclusion. Carbines are nearly useless, especially early on. They get slightly better as time goes on as you are giving up a smaller percent of your damage for the accuracy boost.
Carbines are only good if you are taking very low accuracy shots, in most cases that would be below 25% chance to hit, and you aren't likely to take those shots, additionally they tend to not have enough power to one shot low health enemies with any reliability. This holds true for the first two tiers as although the second tier increases damage, it also makes low accuracy shots rarer.
Battle/Heavy Rifles on the other hand are the opposite, early on they are actually pretty decent with a tailing value as time goes on. At hit rates above 40% Battle Rifles and Heavy Laser rifles will do better than their standard brethren, also they both more or less always one-shot sectoids in full cover and drones when they hit. Plus the malus only applies if you moved, so it frequently ends up being a free point of damage.

Have we seen any use of the Battle Rifles so far? and if not it is because Booty felt they aren't worth buying, or...? I keep noticing them in the equipment screen but felt like they never got addressed at any point. Might have missed it, though!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I thought the point of carbines (especially laser carbines) was to give them to lower ranked soldiers so they can kill steal and get XP to level up and get enough aim to use the big kid guns?

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Finally, humans are dying! I was beginning to doubt Xeno competency!

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Captain Foo posted:

Have we seen any use of the Battle Rifles so far? and if not it is because Booty felt they aren't worth buying, or...? I keep noticing them in the equipment screen but felt like they never got addressed at any point. Might have missed it, though!

Battlerifles have been modified. They have been changed to do +1 damage in all cases, their magazine has been modified to 3 units of ammunition, and there's a -10% aim if it is shot after a 'costly action' (shot during a yellow move, no penalty for shooting before moving), there is also a -1 mobility penalty. I was going to move on to battle rifles if my infantry officers made sergeant level rank before I rolled out lasers (a regular laser rifle is equal or better in every way). Because we're not researching advanced lasers, there won't be any Laser Battle Rifles, but we might see battle rifles when I start researching the next tier of weaponry.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ProfessorBooty posted:

Battlerifles have been modified. They have been changed to do +1 damage in all cases, their magazine has been modified to 3 units of ammunition, and there's a -10% aim if it is shot after a 'costly action' (shot during a yellow move, no penalty for shooting before moving), there is also a -1 mobility penalty. I was going to move on to battle rifles if my infantry officers made sergeant level rank before I rolled out lasers (a regular laser rifle is equal or better in every way). Because we're not researching advanced lasers, there won't be any Laser Battle Rifles, but we might see battle rifles when I start researching the next tier of weaponry.

Okay, thanks. I vaguely remember you mentioning the -1 movement made them really painful early on.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
That doesn't seem like a very good tradeoff. Then again, you've certainly left your fair share of 1HP enemies running around...

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I just got caught up on the LP. If there's any chance of still getting in, sign me up for anything.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
In case anyone is interested, XCOM: Enemy Unknown and all the DLC on Steam is only :10bux: for the next 40 hours or so.
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/37429/

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dooky Dingo posted:

In case anyone is interested, XCOM: Enemy Unknown and all the DLC on Steam is only :10bux: for the next 40 hours or so.
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/37429/

Snagged it.

Once I am done Witchering I am totally doing a play through of Long War.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Gridlocked posted:

Snagged it.

Once I am done Witchering I am totally doing a play through of Long War.

Mind your versions. Mind additional modding. And gently caress some of the LW changes like losing all training progress on promoted troops after chopping them up for MEC service.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

Our first covert extraction mission - think of these missions as a cheesy 80's action flick. That said, they can be very dangerous if you don't have control over the situation. Most maps you can make a plan to 'chain hack' the relays. The most dangerous part of Exalt are rockets and grenades. From what I'm told, rocket launchers are disabled when you hack a relay. But they can, and will, throw grenades. Keep soldiers spread out, and you can confuse the AI by keeping people out of cover (but only when a relay has been hacked); I'm told if the AI has a really good shot, it will prioritize reloading over throwing a grenade.

Bad Guy Showcase

Exalt

Four classes of Exalt: the Heavy, the Support, the Sniper, and the Operative. The ones we typically pay the most attention to are the operatives and Heavies, because they have the explosives. They all get a good stack of perks later on.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Professor, I have a question. Is there a specific reason you're not going aggressive stance on Ufos? I've been watching Beagle's Impossible LW games and it actually seems to work out better (He seems to go through less Interceptors per Ufo than you do). I think his reasoning is that getting hits in is more important than not getting hit? I don't know what beta that was, though. May be outdated?

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
That mission worked out hilariously well. Legoman is terrifying.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Today's mission brought to you by SHOT SHOT SHOT SHOT SHOTGUNS.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Beautiful mission. When I tried an exalt mission in EW I almost had a team wipe after one of their rocketeers got lucky and took out several of my soldiers. Authentic XCOM experience. I am not good at this game but it's fun. Lets hope my soldier self knows his business better than me. Can't wait to join the ranks! :) (Dies on first mission).

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
ProfessorBooty, you still taking names for volunteer Meat Shields Tactical Ablative Armour?

Rougey fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 12, 2015

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Yami Fenrir posted:

Professor, I have a question. Is there a specific reason you're not going aggressive stance on Ufos?

Usually I hope to get the first shot in without taking damage in return, then I abort and reattempt - I'm kind of betting that I'll get lucky. It hasn't worked at all so far in this run, but I've had runs where I took down medium UFOs with 1 interceptor without taking any damage. If its a tougher UFO sometimes I'll send an interceptor on defensive so I can get lower-risk damage to let me know if I should pursue a kill.

I played the interception game very poorly in March and April. I should have done aggressive stancing a lot more often.

Rougey posted:

ProfessorBooty, you still taking names for volunteer Meat Shields Tactical Ablative Armour?

Yes :)

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Sign me up then!

Not precious about gender or whatever, my name is ambiguous enough to get away with either sex.

I just noticed the thread, and took interest as I'm very close to finishing a bronzeman impossible run of The Long War.

And by finish I mean I think I've completely hosed it, but I've been playing a couple of hours every week/month since November last year dammit I swear I can salvage this!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Well, that was quiet mission. It's good to see that sometimes the plan does come together.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012

Yami Fenrir posted:

Professor, I have a question. Is there a specific reason you're not going aggressive stance on Ufos? I've been watching Beagle's Impossible LW games and it actually seems to work out better (He seems to go through less Interceptors per Ufo than you do). I think his reasoning is that getting hits in is more important than not getting hit? I don't know what beta that was, though. May be outdated?

You might have a point there, more defensive stances may decrease the amount of shots that hit, but rarely stop the two important hits (the first one to damage and the one that turns it into fireworks) and results in needing more shots to take down, so you send up more Interceptors... which means they get damaged as well. As such a more aggressive stance will result in the damage being focused on fewer planes, so you are more likely to have some left/be able to deal with UFOs with fewer planes. Plus it seems that the first bit of damage adds way more time than the following shots (this may just be me), so overall time getting repaired may be less if you go Aggressive.
I think the best way to say where to go with stance is simply the most common reason for an engagement not resulting in the UFO losing the F, if you frequently need to bug out because you are currently on fire, oh god, oh god, then for that specific UFO type go down a peg, if it tends to be that you run out of time then you should probably be more aggressive for that kind of UFO, and if you tend to need to bug out with less than a second to go, then you are probably roughly where you need to be.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I am 100% okay with showing up to every mission carrying nothing but shotguns and explosives. Blood and fire :black101:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

megane posted:

I am 100% okay with showing up to every mission carrying nothing but shotguns and explosives. Blood and fire :black101:

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

megane posted:

Put me on the :bandwagon:

• Locked thread